2 Epik Legends or 1 Epik Empire - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-24-2011, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what would you do.

and while i would love to get 1 empire now and buy the second one down the road...it's not going to happen.

thank you.

room size small/medium
music/movies: 50/50
apartment

ps if anyone could make this into a poll that would be appreciated. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Since you're in an apartment, get 2 Legends and turn one off until you get into a house. The Empire from what I'm told still has a slight advantage in output over dual Legends. Duals will get you a more even frequency response.

I don't lurk as much as I used to and I NEVER listen. Comes from being old and cynical.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I love seeing the responses to questions like this. Like:

2 FV12's to and FV15
2 Legends vs an Empire
2 Ultra 10's vs an Ultra 12
2 VTF-3 MK3's vs VTF-15H
2 of anything vs. the double the price anything

Say you have a dedicated theater and have room for as many subs as you please. you have a $4500 budget...would you get a pair of submersives, PB Ultra 13's or 4 Rythmik F15's. Don't mean to hijack your thread. I just like these seeing good answers to these questions. You should call Epik and see what they think would be better for your room. I wonder what they would say since they will be making the same pretty much either way.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
Old 04-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you have the placement flexibility in order to achieve the best single-sub response in your room, then I would go for the Empire. My friend has a single in a smallish room and it is amazing. If you have very little placement flexibility, say a spot in the left and right corners of your front wall, then I would consider the dual Legends to achieve a better overall response in your room. The cool thing is that you really aren't going "wrong" either way. If you want the extra ooomph of the Empire you can always colocate the Legends and find the best location for the pair together.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses folks. it is greatly appreciated.

so in conclusion it sounds like a single empire will have a better sweet spot with slightly more output, but the dual legends will have slightly less output but more of an overall even response.

i really want to try dual subs. so i think i am leaning towards the legends.

edit: the 4legends, 2empire, 2rythmik topic popped up. so i'll be sure to read up on that one too since it's similar.

thanks,
ben
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 PM

Hi I just purchased 1 empire & 1 legend sub for my theater room. The previous sub that i had were 2 sunfire jr and a velodyne 810 . The room was so big I had both subs maxed to fill the room. 38' x 18' with 7.5 ' ceiling . Running inwall and in ceiling speakers . The new epiks that I have are way more than I need to balance out my room. It's only been 1 week and I'm still trying to get use to the spl. The loudness is way more than I had before. The movie posters are vibrating on the walls, my recessed lights are making noise from the vibration its just a beast of a sub. When I purchased the empire sub I talked to Chad from epik he told me that I was going to be in for a surprise when I hooked them up. He was right. It did take time to get the eq set correctly. I hooked up 1 legend first . Then 1 empire . Last I hooked them both up . When my wife came to listen she felt that the sunfire had a better sound than the epik.....think she really looking at the size instead of the sound. She actually told me that the legend should be returned,,,,,,she said keep the empire. The sunfire does have a punchier sound think it only go down to about 25 hz . But the spl is way lower. But for the money get the empi
re.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

I love seeing the responses to questions like this. Like:

2 FV12's to and FV15

2 Legends vs an Empire

2 Ultra 10's vs an Ultra 12

2 VTF-3 MK3's vs VTF-15H

2 of anything vs. the double the price anything

Say you have a dedicated theater and have room for as many subs as you please. you have a $4500 budget...would you get a pair of submersives, PB Ultra 13's or 4 Rythmik F15's. Don't mean to hijack your thread. I just like these seeing good answers to these questions. You should call Epik and see what they think would be better for your room. I wonder what they would say since they will be making the same pretty much either way.

I tried calling Epik beginning of this week to ask the very same question. Left a voicemail and still have not heard back. Needless to say, I went ahead and ordered the SVS...

DJ_JonnyV
Old 07-27-2012, 04:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeben003 View Post

what would you do.

and while i would love to get 1 empire now and buy the second one down the road...it's not going to happen.

thank you.

room size small/medium

music/movies: 50/50

apartment

ps if anyone could make this into a poll that would be appreciated. thanks.

ALWAYS go for dual subs over a single sub.
You'll get smoother bass response in your room.

Hell, I live in an apartment and I'am running four subwoofers in my HT/living room. biggrin.gif

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Hell, I live in an apartment and I'am running four subwoofers in my HT/living room. biggrin.gif

And how do your downstairs neighbors feel about that? They're so sensitive about noise where I live (an exercise bike made too much noise), I've avoided subs until now, but I'd really like one, although it's definitely going to have to be forward (or side) mounted. Not looking for anything that's going to blow the walls down, just want some tight low-end bass.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
Hard to recommend. I've had a single Empire for a while but have added two other subs (they were going to the bedroom but haven't gotten there yet), Infinity PSW310s that were on sale. I really like the extra fill and can only imagine what two Empires would be like as the 310s don't dig near as low (Legends would dig much lower than these I'm trying, too). My room is quite large with a vaulted ceiling as well as open stairwell. Just might convince me to go second Empire...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 07-30-2012, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

And how do your downstairs neighbors feel about that? They're so sensitive about noise where I live (an exercise bike made too much noise),

Fortunately for me, I live in a well constructed, well insulated apartment building. I live on the top floor and the apartments on either side of mine and directly across the hall, have been vacant for quite some time. The only folks I have to worry about, are the neighbors living directly underneath my apartment. So far, no complaints. I just leave the volume on my AVR at -30db while watching movies. The subwoofers level is set at -3db and I have an Auralex isolation riser under each sub. Also, I never watch movies after 9 pm. Most of my movie watching is done on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, when my neighbors are usually out shopping or socializing.

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 07-30-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeben003 View Post

what would you do.

I had this same dilemma a few years ago. I went with the single Empire in the hopes I'd have the room down the road for a second although, I didn't really think it would happen, I just hoped.

I added my second Empire over a month ago, as others have mentioned, bass response is smoother.

It's too bad you're so set on not being able to have the room for dual Empires.

Spinning the rear tire at 150mph while at 3/4 lean angle will put wrinkles in your seat
Old 07-31-2012, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
My single Legend can be felt in my neighbors house so I can't imagine having one in an apartment. Can you say eviction notice!
Old 07-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdolen View Post

My single Legend can be felt in my neighbors house so I can't imagine having one in an apartment. Can you say eviction notice!

As long as he remembers to not jack up the volume to near ear bleeding levels
and to use isolation risers under the subs, he'll be ok.

I have dual SVS subs now and thinking about adding two more subwoofers to the mix.
I also live in an apartment and the neighbors have never complained.

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

As long as he remembers to not jack up the volume to near ear bleeding levels
and to use isolation risers under the subs, he'll be ok.

I have dual SVS subs now and thinking about adding two more subwoofers to the mix.
I also live in an apartment and the neighbors have never complained.

An isolation riser under a dual opposed sub like the Empire or Legend is not needed, the cabinet is virtually inert...

I applaud you on your restraint on the -30db and 9pm thing.....I usually listen to movies anywhere from -20 to 0 and do that whenever I want smile.gif But I refuse to live in an apartment...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 08-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

An isolation riser under a dual opposed sub like the Empire or Legend is not needed, the cabinet is virtually inert...
I applaud you on your restraint on the -30db and 9pm thing.....I usually listen to movies anywhere from -20 to 0 and do that whenever I want smile.gif But I refuse to live in an apartment...

It's not necessary to blow your ear drums out, to enjoy movie soundtracks.
Unlike you, I have great hearing.
-30db is freaking LOUD!!!

Being a home owner is a super expensive proposition.
Much cheaper for me to live in a nice quiet, new apartment building.
I can divert more $$$$$$$ to my favorite hobby. biggrin.gif

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My single Legend can be felt in my neighbors house...

Try adding another Legend, if you really want to experience true subwoofer bliss.

One sub is just a mere appetizer, for what awaits you, by running dual subs. smile.gif

Denon X4000 Receiver
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
Old 08-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Try adding another Legend, if you really want to experience true subwoofer bliss.
One sub is just a mere appetizer, for what awaits you, by running dual subs. smile.gif

Working on it! biggrin.gif
Old 08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

It's not necessary to blow your ear drums out, to enjoy movie soundtracks.
Unlike you, I have great hearing.
-30db is freaking LOUD!!!

Being a home owner is a super expensive proposition.
Much cheaper for me to live in a nice quiet, new apartment building.
I can divert more $$$$$$$ to my favorite hobby. biggrin.gif

I don't think the "db" reading on an avr translates well from source to source or from speaker system to speaker system let alone different rooms...but I do like it somewhat theater-like. smile.gif My hearing is reasonably good considering all the rock venues I attended and worked at, the loud sessions in my car and home and being 56, I still hear things a lot of people don't. You definitely know all through the house what's going on when I'm enjoying my theater like experience smile.gif maybe even the neighbors on explosions and such....but I'm the only one living in the house right now. However have been a renter for years after owning one home in my early 20s and not seeing the benefit for a single guy without kids (which I prefer, thanks). I've rented ever since, just houses, as I hate apartment buildings as they make me feel like a chicken in a coop! When I have a housemate then I do have to tone it down somewhat if they're not enjoying the movie with me...