Connecting sub to stereo amp - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,

I need some advice as I'm really not clued up on this stuff. I want to connect my subwoofer to a stereo amp. It has speaker terminals at the back. I assume these are 'high level' speaker connections ?

Do I connect cable from these speaker terminals on the sub to the speaker terminals at the back of my stereo amp ? Is that it ? Or must I feed cable from the sub to the stereo amp and then back to the speakers ? Just a little confused. I'm sure it's a simple process so if someone could please offer some advice.

I assume.....connecting cable from sub speaker terminals to stereo amp terminals would be ALL that is required but if someone can please clarify it would be appreciated. Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 101
How it's usually done, is to hook up the speaker outputs from the receiver to the speaker level inputs of the subwoofer ( which are probably becoming uncommon.)

There are options that would allow for use of a sub with only line level inputs, but I will assume you are talking about subs with speaker (high level inputs.)

Then hook the sub speakers outputs to the speakers.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

How it's usually done, is to hook up the speaker outputs from the receiver to the speaker level inputs of the subwoofer ( which are probably becoming uncommon.)

Do you mean connecting from the speaker outputs from the receiver to the speaker terminals at back of the sub ? What would happen if I just take cable from the subwoofer speaker terminals to the back of the stereo speaker terminals ?

Quote:

There are options that would allow for use of a sub with only line level inputs, but I will assume you are talking about subs with speaker (high level inputs.)

I assume so. It has the speaker terminals...red and black...so that's high level. Am I correct ? I have a Jamo Sub300.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Then hook the sub speakers outputs to the speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinrich S View Post

Do you mean connecting from the speaker outputs from the receiver to the speaker terminals at back of the sub ?

Yes,
Quote:

What would happen if I just take cable from the subwoofer speaker terminals to the back of the stereo speaker terminals ?

Same thing.

Quote:

It has the speaker terminals...red and black...so that's high level. Am I correct ? I have a Jamo Sub300.

Yes.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Kal and Michael ! I assume this is the best way to connect my sub to stereo amp ? Are there better ways, or is the method described above the most common way ?

Any pro or con to running speaker cable from amp to sub (line in), and then from sub (via line out) to speakers. I read somewhere that this is another method....that you connect cable from amp to sub and then to speaker. Not sure why one would use that method vs the simpler one that was described above (simply connecting cable from sub amp terminals to stereo amp terminals)
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Thanks Kal and Michael ! I assume this is the best way to connect my sub to stereo amp ? Are there better ways, or is the method described above the most common way ?

IMHO, there are better ways but, afaik, you do not have any other options with your amp......or do you?

Quote:

Any pro or con to running speaker cable from amp to sub (line in), and then from sub (via line out) to speakers. I read somewhere that this is another method....that you connect cable from amp to sub and then to speaker. Not sure why one would use that method vs the simpler one that was described above (simply connecting cable from sub amp terminals to stereo amp terminals)

As I said, same thing.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

IMHO, there are better ways but, afaik, you do not have any other options with your amp......or do you?

I think if you gave me some options I might be able to tell you if my amp has them ?

Quote:

As I said, same thing.

Why do some people go the extra step to connect cable from stereo amp---sub amp----back to speaker when it's the same as sub amp to stereo amp ? Just trying to understand why people use the longer method. Sorry, do not intend to be a nuisance.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I think if you gave me some options I might be able to tell you if my amp has them ?

Why do some people go the extra step to connect cable from stereo amp---sub amp----back to speaker when it's the same as sub amp to stereo amp ? Just trying to understand why people use the longer method. Sorry, do not intend to be a nuisance.

If you are using just a stereo amplifier then they do not have any bass management features. IOW there is not a built in feature for you to set the crossover in the amplifier so that the sub gets everything below 80Hz and the main speakers get everything above 80Hz. So what you have to do, in this case, is run the speaker level output from the amp to the sub which is sent the full frequency signal from the stereo amp. The sub has a built in crossover. The sub will extract only the signals that are below the crossover you set on the Jamo and then the remaining frequencies are then passed on to the speaker level outs to the main speakers (which are still powered by the stereo amp not the subwoofer amp). This is how most subwoofers were setup before the AVRs started to add Bass management. This setup alows the stereo amp to work with less effort because the main speakers are now only required to play the higher frequencies. Hope this helps you understand a little better how to use speaker level inputs.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page