The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 126 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3751 of 18151 Old 05-12-2012, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The two interesting scenes in Melancholia:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3752 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 04:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15

super dirty , super clean , pow
post #3753 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 79
All I can say is WOW !!! I'm certainly impressed with Underworld Awakening on Blue Ray Disc !!!
That 7.1 DTS-HD Master track had my system rocking.
The surround sound mix was very nicely done ,all 7-channels working hard and the LFE was A** kicking from start to finish. Definitely a 5-star !!!

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #3754 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Just got Underworld in the mail today and looking forward to it! Probably wont get to it tonight since I have to watch the Nuggets beat the Lakers

Guess you'll have plenty of time now, unless, you are gonna root for another team-->

HH
post #3755 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 09:21 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerHarley View Post

Guess you'll have plenty of time now, unless, you are gonna root for another team-->

HH

I just knew at least one person was going to give me a well deserved hard time

To keep this on topic, I cant go more than 2/5 for the LFE in the Nuggets and Lakers game 7. Nice subtle bass when the ball bounced.......the best moments came during the 2 thumps right after the "de-FENSE" crowd chant.......these were firmly nessled at 38-39hz going off my trained ear, but I did not detect much below this. I could be wrong though and if the graphs confirm single digit ULF, I will for sure change my vote to 5 stars!

Just a joke fellas......I love the graphs as much as anyone and find them interesting.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3756 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I thought Immortals was more entertaining then 300 by a fair margin.

WOW!

For me, Immortals isn't even in 300's class as far as the actual movie goes.

But to each his own of course
post #3757 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586 View Post

WOW!

For me, Immortals isn't even in 300's class as far as the actual movie goes.

But to each his own of course

300 is the better movie, but I was just much more entertained by Immortals in my HT. I thought the audio was considerably better in Immortals for one and I just had more "fun" with it for whatever reason. I watched 300 once, and dont feel any need to rewatch it again. I would watch Immortals if I owned it another time or two just for the audio experience alone.

Its all subjective though as you say.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3758 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The Three Musketeers did not impress me too much in the LFE area. It had it's good moments. The Airship scenes were really good in the bass department. I thought the overall mix was done very well. Very dynamic and strong. Just thought it could have dug down a little deeper on certain scenes. Just to be sure it was not my set up I put in Underword : Awakening right after to view the first few minutes of it, ( have not watched it yet ) I actually had to turn down the volume because the bass was so much more punishing than the Three Musketeers. I'll probably watch Underworld sometime during the week. When those airships entered the storm cloud during the battle there was some deep stuff going on there.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #3759 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Liked: 11
I agree JSS. I also am a big fan of Greek mythos films. I found the few God vs. Titan fights entertaining at the end, but I was dissapointed that they had to interdisburse the human fight scenes between King Hyperion and Theseus. IMO, Mickey Rourke's portayal of Hyperion was ultra stinky in the film. Of course, it was hard to take him seriously with those ridiculous helmets he wore throughout the film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

If that film didn't have the bow and the nice god vs fight scenes, I would have shut it off. I am a fan of Greek mythos films, and while it had GREAT potential, if was a let down, esp with the clipping....you would think that would have been caught by someone before release....unless it was intentional.

JSS

post #3760 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 06:15 PM

I noticed that MI4: Ghost Protocol is not on the movie list. I have to think that is at least in the 4 star range.
post #3761 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

I noticed that MI4: Ghost Protocol is not on the movie list. I have to think that is at least in the 4 star range.

I agree, Watched last night def 3.5-4 stars. i hesitate for 4stars bc there was not that much variety of bass, some really strong explosions though! The explosions were particularly sharp, abrupt, and startling.........

I had a couple friends over their first experience in my theater and they both were startled multiple times by this one.
post #3762 of 18151 Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 PM

Liked: 33
Watched some movies this weekend:
Take shelter - pretty good movie. Storms and thunder sounding very realistic. Id give it a weak 4.

Chronicle - very good movie. Good LFE but nothing crazy. 3.5-4 or so.

Puss in boots. Cant really remember anything in particular about the LFE. 3.5-4 or so id guess.
post #3763 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Looks like there's nothing above listening threshold below 10Hz?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3764 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

You should not get upset with me just because you think that your subwoofer can not play nubefrasonic frequencies.

This should be in someone's Sig somewhere. Lmao!

(not weighing in on the merits of the argument, but this was too funny)
post #3765 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

Watched some movies this weekend:
Take shelter - pretty good movie. Storms and thunder sounding very realistic. Id give it a weak 4.

Chronicle - very good movie. Good LFE but nothing crazy. 3.5-4 or so.

Puss in boots. Cant really remember anything in particular about the LFE. 3.5-4 or so id guess.

I was gonna ask how is Chronicle as a movie, story and sound?

Also does anyone know if The Grey is a good movie? I'm gonna guess there won't be much LFE in that movie but maybe good surround.
post #3766 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 05:45 AM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

I was gonna ask how is Chronicle as a movie, story and sound?

I liked it. An unusual twist on the old "superhero story". The story wasnt anything special but the sound was good.
post #3767 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

The first ten minutes of Melancholia was SO surreal! It was great!
The planet collision scene really shook my room.
post #3768 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Looks like there's nothing above listening threshold below 10Hz?

There's some there, but for the most part it rolls off at 9-10Hz. I can't monitor that low, but I'm good to 14Hz or so. It was definitely making full use of the tapped horns.

There's a quieter version of that rumble throughout a large part of the second half of the movie whenever Melancholia gets close to Earth, but the only times it gets loud are the two scenes I graphed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3769 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 743 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

There's some there, but for the most part it rolls off at 9-10Hz. I can't monitor that low, but I'm good to 14Hz or so. It was definitely making full use of the tapped horns.

There's a quieter version of that rumble throughout a large part of the second half of the movie whenever Melancholia gets close to Earth, but the only times it gets loud are the two scenes I graphed.

I was under the impression that your graphs showed digital data from the disc?

Here's the listening threshold of low frequencies (taken from the paper "Low Frequency Hearing Thresholds in Pressure Field and in Free Field" by Watanabe/Moller) compared to movie reference level:

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #3770 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 08:09 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

where there any waterfalls for MI4. specifically the submarine missile launch ?

it was the only scene that shut one of my subs down which is rare but i did have the MV up quite high also

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

post #3771 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

I know a lot of films will depend on the room and particular resonances of walls/furniture, but the Sonic Cannon scene in The Incredible Hulk is still the best single scene I have ever experienced in my room. It makes people want to simply run for cover, thinking the room is gonna collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

When they first turn on the sonic cannon and hit the Hulk with it, there is a moment where it movies goes slow motion as the Hulk is hit with the sound. At that moment, there is a solid 10-30hz up sweep. It's pretty awesome if you have the capability to reproduce what's there.

I just watched The Incredible Hulk (again) last night. That entire track is awesome. I can't comment much on ULF because I only go down to 15Hz, but even the shootout in the factory towards the beginning is an awesome demo-worthy scene. The gunfire is very impactful and dynamic, and there are some LFE moments with the Hulk.

Then the sonic cannons scene is really fun with those pressure waves (not the lowest hitting, but just a fun effect) and the 50 cal guns you can feel in your chest.

And of course the end battle with all the huge floor-shaking impacts.

Comparing this to what I experienced in the IMAX theater during the Avengers, I'm going to predict Hulk wins for overall dynamic range.

I distinctly remember the gunfire in Avengers to be on the wimpy side. Not to say Avengers will be bad... I think it's got some really nice sound. It was just an artistic choice to make the guns almost background noise the characters could talk over... but from a realism standpoint, it does make you wonder if the sound designers/mixers have ever been around live gunfire. That is some crazy-loud stuff (and quite dangerous for your ears without protection). And I like a soundtrack better when they acknowledge that (even if they are using LFE to give you the impression of loudness without drowning out the entire rest of the mix).

-
post #3772 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I just watched The Incredible Hulk (again) last night. That entire track is awesome. I can't comment much on ULF because I only go down to 15Hz, but even the shootout in the factory towards the beginning is an awesome demo-worthy scene. The gunfire is very impactful and dynamic, and there are some LFE moments with the Hulk.

Then the sonic cannons scene is really fun with those pressure waves (not the lowest hitting, but just a fun effect) and the 50 cal guns you can feel in your chest.

And of course the end battle with all the huge floor-shaking impacts.

Comparing this to what I experienced in the IMAX theater during the Avengers, I'm going to predict Hulk wins for overall dynamic range.

I distinctly remember the gunfire in Avengers to be on the wimpy side. Not to say Avengers will be bad... I think it's got some really nice sound. It was just an artistic choice to make the guns almost background noise the characters could talk over... but from a realism standpoint, it does make you wonder if the sound designers/mixers have ever been around live gunfire. That is some crazy-loud stuff (and quite dangerous for your ears without protection). And I like a soundtrack better when they acknowledge that (even if they are using LFE to give you the impression of loudness without drowning out the entire rest of the mix).

I agree, I remember when the Dark night came out you can really feel the punch from the midbass with little shaking which The Avengers did not have in the same cinema.
post #3773 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I'm totally with you on this one. I am still hoping it was due to my cinema setup (not capable of handling the sound pretty well) and hopefully the BluRay version will sound much better at my home. It seems I will have to wait until September to clarify that.

post #3774 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I agree, I remember when the Dark night came out you can really feel the punch from the midbass with little shaking which The Avengers did not have in the same cinema.

That seems to depend on what theater the movie is seen in. I saw The Avengers in one of the smaller type IMax's. The most impressive part of the sound to me was the mid-bass slam. It could have been because we were fairly close to the screen, but the mid-bass was some of the most impressive I've heard in a movie theater. The deep bass, not nearly as much.
post #3775 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

That seems to depend on what theater the movie is seen in. I saw The Avengers in one of the smaller type IMax's. The most impressive part of the sound to me was the mid-bass slam. It could have been because we were fairly close to the screen, but the mid-bass was some of the most impressive I've heard in a movie theater. The deep bass, not nearly as much.

Yes but I watched it in the same exact cinema, maybe the volume was louder for the Dark Night, but who knows. Hell, I watched MI:4 in an IMAX that made both sound weak in comparison but that is a different cinema so I can not compare. Avengers was better than MI:4 in the same cinema though. Yes, I watch them more than once at different cinemas.
post #3776 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Sigh my sub doesn't do the sonic cannon scene justice lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3777 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Sigh my sub doesn't do the sonic cannon scene justice lol

If your quads were hooked up, think that would make a difference?
post #3778 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebriman View Post

If your quads were hooked up, think that would make a difference?

Haven't even started the build yet . They are sitting in their boxes in the garage haha

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #3779 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 05:20 PM

So, I went and rented Immortals last night and watched the action scenes. There are a fair number of good action scenes in the film, with some good bass action. Here is a list of the more prominent scenes worth viewing from an audio perspective:

1:45 to 2:11 (this scene also repeats later in the film)
40:58 to 42:09
49:43 to 50:35
1:02:27 to 1:02:58
1:03:13 to 1:03:29
1:03:51 to 1:04:24
1:29:33 to 1:29:00
1:29:26 to 1:29:46
1:30:22 to 1:30:57
1:30:55 to 1:31:07
1:31:17 to 1:31:24
1:31:44 to 1:31:54
1:32:02 to 1:32:10
1:32:15 to 1:32:20
1:33:25 to 1:33:34
1:35:19 to 1:35:41
1:36:37 to 1:38:09

Quite a few segments actually, and there are a few others that I didn't mention.

Quote:

300 is the better movie, but I was just much more entertained by Immortals in my HT. I thought the audio was considerably better in Immortals for one and I just had more "fun" with it for whatever reason.

post #3780 of 18151 Old 05-14-2012, 05:31 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

So, I went and rented Immortals last night and watched the action scenes. There are a fair number of good action scenes in the film, with some good bass action. Here is a list of the more prominent scenes worth viewing from an audio perspective:

1:45 to 2:11 (this scene also repeats later in the film)
40:58 to 42:09
49:43 to 50:35
1:02:27 to 1:02:58
1:03:13 to 1:03:29
1:03:51 to 1:04:24
1:29:33 to 1:29:00
1:29:26 to 1:29:46
1:30:22 to 1:30:57
1:30:55 to 1:31:07
1:31:17 to 1:31:24
1:31:44 to 1:31:54
1:32:02 to 1:32:10
1:32:15 to 1:32:20
1:33:25 to 1:33:34
1:35:19 to 1:35:41
1:36:37 to 1:38:09

Quite a few segments actually, and there are a few others that I didn't mention.

i watched it last night also. dropped the blu ray back to netflix today. now i need something good to put in my Queue

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page