The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 127 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3781 of 17405 Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

Also does anyone know if The Grey is a good movie? I'm gonna guess there won't be much LFE in that movie but maybe good surround.

I liked The Grey very much. Liam Neeson is superb.

Regarding the LFE, it was actually quite impressive throughout the movie, especially during the plane crash sequence. The dynamics can be startling, also.

There is a lot of howling wind during the film which will give your sub(s) a thorough workout; not only for output, but for detail as well. A good test would be to listen to some of those strong wind scenes with capable headphones so you can hear the detail of the bass clearly, then listen at your normal listening level and see if there is any difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 17405 Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follz20 View Post

I liked The Grey very much. Liam Neeson is superb.

Regarding the LFE, it was actually quite impressive throughout the movie, especially during the plane crash sequence. The dynamics can be startling, also.

There is a lot of howling wind during the film which will give your sub(s) a thorough workout; not only for output, but for detail as well. A good test would be to listen to some of those strong wind scenes with capable headphones so you can hear the detail of the bass clearly, then listen at your normal listening level and see if there is any difference.

The Grey, Underworld...I guess where there's wolves, there are woofers!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3783 of 17405 Old 05-15-2012, 08:57 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Tons of LFE in this movie! I would go a solid 4.5 overall. Some demo worthy moments IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3784 of 17405 Old 05-15-2012, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Tons of LFE in this movie! I would go a solid 4.5 overall. Some demo worthy moments IMO.

I agree...this was a pretty good movie also. The bass was overall really strong and deep. I might be tempted to go with a full 5 for this one.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #3785 of 17405 Old 05-15-2012, 04:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

I agree...this was a pretty good movie also. The bass was overall really strong and deep. I might be tempted to go with a full 5 for this one.

I would be curious to see some graphs. My Buttkickers bottomed quite a few times in this one which usually only happens with tracks that dig DEEP. I enjoyed the movie as well. Tanks, helicopters and jets in particular all had a LOT of weight and impact behind them which was awesome!

post #3786 of 17405 Old 05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Noting that Underworld: Awakening has been added to the 5-star section of the bass movies database, and I'm in full agreement that it belongs there. In fact the entire sound track is pretty aggressive. Some have complained that the bass was over the top and simply too much in this movie. I'm not sure that it was over done, but it probably could have been improved on in a few places.

Either way, it's definitely a good movie for a heavy bass subwoofer workout!

oz
post #3787 of 17405 Old 05-15-2012, 10:58 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

My Buttkickers bottomed quite a few times in this one which usually only happens with tracks that dig DEEP.

I have been considering adding a Buttkicker to my system. I have a decent sub (HSU VTF-3 MK3) that hits 15Hz, and I usually do movies at around -10dB, so they are fairly loud. So I don't really *need* a Buttkicker... but I thought it might be fun, and add some additional punch/feel to movies without adding any volume.

But I didn't realize they could "bottom out". What does that mean... is it a negative experience like clipping/distortion, or is it simply that they don't shake enough??

Also, just in general, what are other people's thoughts of adding shakers to enhance movies with bass? If this is too off-topic I can take it elsewhere, but I really do want to hear from bass enthusiasts.

post #3788 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Same here, I didn't know a Buttkicker could bottom out.
post #3789 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
If a Buttkicker is Bottoming Out does it also scare the Crap out of ya while Kicking your Butt?-->

HH
post #3790 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 06:16 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I have been considering adding a Buttkicker to my system. I have a decent sub (HSU VTF-3 MK3) that hits 15Hz, and I usually do movies at around -10dB, so they are fairly loud. So I don't really *need* a Buttkicker... but I thought it might be fun, and add some additional punch/feel to movies without adding any volume.

But I didn't realize they could "bottom out". What does that mean... is it a negative experience like clipping/distortion, or is it simply that they don't shake enough??

Also, just in general, what are other people's thoughts of adding shakers to enhance movies with bass? If this is too off-topic I can take it elsewhere, but I really do want to hear from bass enthusiasts.

The crazy thing is I am running 4 SVS subs (3 PB13 Ultras and a 12/2 Ultra) in a sealed 12x17.5 room and the BKs still provide a sensation my subs cant. It is hard to describe, but the BKs bring the whole tactile experience to a higher level if they are implemented properly IMO.

It is crucial how you implement the shakers in my experience as far as how good, natural and seamless the experience is. I have been in theaters much nicer than mine where they had shakers attached directly to the seat, not enough sub (so the shakers stood out which you dont want), the shakers crossed over much to high, and where the shakers were just turned up to high in relation to the subs and it actually took me OUT of the experience. A shaker should compliment your subs and feel like a natural enhancement, not stand out from them. In my experience the only way to do this is to do an indirect attachment either to a riser, or beneath your floor onto the floor joists. I built a very simple mini riser that my couch sits on and the 2 BKs are attached to the riser. I took my legs off the couch so the entire perimeter wood frame comes in contact with the riser so the shake comes up through the entire couch, but indirectly. Combined with the fair amount of sub power I got, it simply feels like I gave my subs a Redbull or a steroid shot It really does feel very natural though and the only time they stand out is if they bottom (which can be controlled by simply turning down the volume on the shaker amp or making some high/low pass adjustments).

When a BK bottoms, it sounds like a knock. You cant miss it if you know what you should be listening for. I usually dont have problems with where I have mine set, but sometimes in the right type of scene or film it will happen on occasion.

There used to be a lot of good info on the BK site and I am sure there is a lot of great info here as well as far as how to implement these most effectively. Check out the BK site for more info.

Some people like shakers and some dont. I could not go without them now as the experience simply would not be complete, especially with big time action films. I hate them for music though and always go for the more pure approach there, but even that is subjective and some people like them for music as well.

Oh, another perk of a BK equipped couch...........girls love it....

post #3791 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Well said Toe. I agree a properly integrated and setup buttkicker will IMO add another level of enjoyment to ones home theater enjoyment. The sub or subs will provide the room pressurization and "chest slam" if you will, the buttkicker the physical shaking of your body. WOTW is an outstanding example of a movie tailor made for this kind of affect!
post #3792 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:

The crazy thing is I am running 4 SVS subs (3 PB13 Ultras and a 12/2 Ultra) in a sealed 12x17.5 room and the BKs still provide a sensation my subs cant. It is hard to describe, but the BKs bring the whole tactile experience to a higher level if they are implemented properly IMO.

It is crucial how you implement the shakers in my experience as far as how good, natural and seamless the experience is. I have been in theaters much nicer than mine where they had shakers attached directly to the seat, not enough sub (so the shakers stood out which you dont want), the shakers crossed over much to high, and where the shakers were just turned up to high in relation to the subs and it actually took me OUT of the experience. A shaker should compliment your subs and feel like a natural enhancement, not stand out from them. In my experience the only way to do this is to do an indirect attachment either to a riser, or beneath your floor onto the floor joists. I built a very simple mini riser that my couch sits on and the 2 BKs are attached to the riser. I took my legs off the couch so the entire perimeter wood frame comes in contact with the riser so the shake comes up through the entire couch, but indirectly. Combined with the fair amount of sub power I got, it simply feels like I gave my subs a Redbull or a steroid shot It really does feel very natural though and the only time they stand out is if they bottom (which can be controlled by simply turning down the volume on the shaker amp or making some high/low pass adjustments).

When a BK bottoms, it sounds like a knock. You cant miss it if you know what you should be listening for. I usually dont have problems with where I have mine set, but sometimes in the right type of scene or film it will happen on occasion.

There used to be a lot of good info on the BK site and I am sure there is a lot of great info here as well as far as how to implement these most effectively. Check out the BK site for more info.

Some people like shakers and some dont. I could not go without them now as the experience simply would not be complete, especially with big time action films. I hate them for music though and always go for the more pure approach there, but even that is subjective and some people like them for music as well.

Oh, another perk of a BK equipped couch...........girls love it....

What response are they set for?
post #3793 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 10:17 AM

Liked: 11
Can you combine d-motion with butt kickers in the same install?
post #3794 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

*Channeling my best Groucho Marx*

"... ya mean the goyles, or da butt kickers?"

*rimshot*

Carry on...
post #3795 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 65
So my quetion for y'all is that if i have to choose one: adding another sub or butt kicker, which one would you guys choose? What is the price range for 4 seat BKs?
post #3796 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I am using a Crowson Transducer along with my SubMersive HP. I am powering the Crowson with a Butt Kicker amp. I had CraigJohn set it up for me. When it's dialed in right(with the crossover and blending with the sub) which he did, it is a really cool feeling. My SubMersive HP is no slouch in the low bass department. My room is only 1000cf. But the Crowson just adds that extra to movies that makes you smile just a bit more. I was really impressed with what it did for Unstoppable. That made the movie even more fun then it was before. Plus, TRON really put it to the test. Even if you have a killer sub setup, I think the tactile feel you get from a transducer system is wort it. I know that I will never get rid of it and no matter what system I have, I will have a transducer setup as well.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #3797 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinifox View Post

Can you combine d-motion with butt kickers in the same install?

Now that would be an AWESOME experience!

Especially with four of these in the room:
http://velodyne.com/digital-drive-plus-18.html

post #3798 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spankenstein View Post

*Channeling my best Groucho Marx*

"... ya mean the goyles, or da butt kickers?"

*rimshot*

Carry on...

Say da secret woid and win a hundad dollas.
post #3799 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 11:56 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

4 high quality SVS subs and BK in that size room

I am officially jealous
post #3800 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

^^
+1
post #3801 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:

This is how most people react when Toe watches movies like 5 days of war!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3802 of 17405 Old 05-16-2012, 03:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

^^^^^^^^^^ I just want to know what its like in a MKtheater type setup or some of these other members who are hitting hard into the single digits which I cant do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

My subs are in the 15hz tune and my BKs start in at ~50hz (which is a bit high, but for movies I like it). I have not tried the 10hz tune, but I might at some point. I just dont want to give up any slam up top, but maybe it would be worth it.......will try it at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezar View Post

4 high quality SVS subs and BK in that size room

I am officially jealous

If it makes you feel any better, there are plenty of sub/low end setups I am jealous of as well. MKtheater and some of the other members here have some absolutely amazing setups from what I have seen that I would love to experience at some point. Dont get me wrong as I am very happy and proud of what I have (it has taken me a long time to get to this point), but I cant dig into the single digits like a lot of these guys can and I would love to experience that some day I would also love to experience a sealed sub setup in my room which might be better than ported for my size/dimensions. At this point though, I am really just enjoying what I have which is important to do. It is easy to get caught up in constantly trying to get to that next step and not truly enjoying what you got. I think the happiest I have ever been with my HT was when I had my first HT setup with a 36" tube tv, 1 sub, did not have a clue what my in room FR was, surround speakers sitting on milk crates, etc.......... lol.

post #3803 of 17405 Old 05-17-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

I am using a Crowson Transducer along with my SubMersive HP. I am powering the Crowson with a Butt Kicker amp. I had CraigJohn set it up for me. When it's dialed in right(with the crossover and blending with the sub) which he did, it is a really cool feeling. My SubMersive HP is no slouch in the low bass department. My room is only 1000cf. But the Crowson just adds that extra to movies that makes you smile just a bit more. I was really impressed with what it did for Unstoppable. That made the movie even more fun then it was before. Plus, TRON really put it to the test. Even if you have a killer sub setup, I think the tactile feel you get from a transducer system is wort it. I know that I will never get rid of it and no matter what system I have, I will have a transducer setup as well.

I have wanted to try the Crowson products for a long time. Can you give us more details about your setup? Are the transducers under a piece of furniture or a riser? How low will they go or be detected, Hz-wise?

JSS
post #3804 of 17405 Old 05-17-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Just watched wotw. I thought cloverfield, LFoDH, and uderworld were all better.

It was good but not in the same level as the others imho.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

post #3805 of 17405 Old 05-17-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Brian,
I think you have the SVS Sb12, how does it handle these movies? Not quite follow you, which one of those movies has the best bass? I like UW Awakening.
post #3806 of 17405 Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Live free or die hard IMHO is not better than WOTW. I was one of the first to say Cloverfield is a WOTW beater. I have not seen awakenings yet.
post #3807 of 17405 Old 05-17-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

What kind of sub are you using? I only ask because your impression varies from most and I wonder if your equipment has something to do with the reason why. Purely asking just out of curiosity.
post #3808 of 17405 Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Just watched The Babysitter. Funny movie...one scene in the van, the bass was way loud... Not sure why it was made so hot. Music scene, but the bass spl was actually overwhelming for the music playing...in fact its all i could here...weird?? Not low just LOUD!
post #3809 of 17405 Old 05-17-2012, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

lfeman, you still out there?

Bosso

Yeah, im still here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Battle:LA does not clip AFAIK. It is a known fact T:L does.

JSS

PS - I am not impartial. I am a Marine.

Hmm, it looks like that it may clip. The scene where those marines are coming out of that helo and are running to barracks you can heard some nasty sounding explosion in your left surround speaker, even more crappy sounding when putting all speakers to small and sub to off. And to tron where are those scenes excatly where it clips/distort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

Thank you very much for doing these waterfalls. But, would it be possible to use the "standard" color scale instead? Makes it much easier to see what is happening. Please see the other plots in this thread and adjust your colors.

Agreed, otherwise good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPainMD View Post

any waterfalls for underworld?

and who can help me setup speclab on my laptop?

First page have info and welcome back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Tonight's movie was Melancholia. The two planet collision scenes had what sounded like five star LFE, but I had to sit through about 130 minutes of five star boredom to get to them. Going to waterfall those two scenes as soon as the transcoding process is finished, just so I can pretend I didn't waste the last 135 minutes of my life on this one.

Not even going to vote on a star rating for the LFE in general. I'll just waterfall those scenes and send the movie back to the rental place. This movie will never be on my shopping list.

I actually liked it, great visuals/audio in opening and what a lfe scene that last pretty long time(had to blow my ears open after that.)
post #3810 of 17405 Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 AM

Liked: 33
Sherlock Holmes: game of shadows.
Big wtf.
Movie contained slow motion fight scenes, artillery, gunshot, explosions, buildings coming down, crashes and a lot more of "Ooooh, here comes the OOMMPFF!" scenes.
Id rate the movie below a 2. Way below. Sounded like the whole movie (well, almost) was highpassed at 40hz or had a very low amplitude overall. I had to check that my LFE-amp was on...
Either something was very wrong with my setup or this movie just sucks for LFE. Anyone?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page