The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 139 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4141 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Cool. cool.gif What did you get?

If you want to give it a proper test, there is better material than 'Chronicle,' like 'Underworld: Awakening.' biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4142 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 07:00 PM

Also, since the review is now up at HDD, 'Project X' comes out next week and it has some serious bass to it that really digs deep in several spots. Didn't like the movie at all, but the AQ was very impressive.
post #4143 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post

Cool. cool.gif What did you get?
If you want to give it a proper test, there is better material than 'Chronicle,' like 'Underworld: Awakening.' biggrin.gif

I'm getting a second SVS PB13-Ultra.

I have some of the 5 stars movies on this list at home. But, after a while of trying them, I just want to test something new......;o)

Yeah UA is amazing, but I already returned that movie. So, I will grab it later.
post #4144 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 PM

Very nice. cool.gif

U:A really surprised me, especially listening to Selene's guns rapid fire or the extra-large Lycan stomping on the ground.

Those scenes from 'Chronicle' are the best moments for bass, but the movie in general is pretty good.
post #4145 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Very nice. cool.gif
U:A really surprised me, especially listening to Selene's guns rapid fire or the extra-large Lycan stomping on the ground.
Those scenes from 'Chronicle' are the best moments for bass, but the movie in general is pretty good.

Sweet, looking forward to watch it.

Oh, I also received The Divide. How about that one?
post #4146 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

Hi cr136124, just make sure no kids are watching this.
post #4147 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
U-571... first time I've seen it with decent subwoofers. Four stars. Admittedly, I did not hear it in DTS.
post #4148 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Movie is a total downer, but the LFE is consistent with great but subtle ULF throughout, making it feel like the world above is constantly shifting.
post #4149 of 17403 Old 06-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:

The Divide starts out pretty good with good bass from the nuke blast but the last half of the film is so uninteresting, you just want it to end so you kind of forget about the bass. I give it a 3.5 on bass but a 2 on the actual movie.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #4150 of 17403 Old 06-14-2012, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Very nice. cool.gif

Yup, the gunfire had some very interesting bass. Very high amplitude over a very short time period. Really tests your subs (and rooms) ability to start and stop withouth rumble.
And lets not forget my favorite scene: The first time we get to see (hear) the extra large lycan. Massive massive bass.
post #4151 of 17403 Old 06-14-2012, 02:09 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

Yup, the gunfire had some very interesting bass. Very high amplitude over a very short time period. Really tests your subs (and rooms) ability to start and stop withouth rumble.
And lets not forget my favorite scene: The first time we get to see (hear) the extra large lycan. Massive massive bass.

Yes! That first Super Lycan scene is my new demo scene. The 2nd SL scene is also killer!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4152 of 17403 Old 06-14-2012, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi cr136124, just make sure no kids are watching this.

Ok. Thanks for the heads up!
Quote:

Movie is a total downer, but the LFE is consistent with great but subtle ULF throughout, making it feel like the world above is constantly shifting.

Thanks, that will help me out to reset my expectations about this movie. ;o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

The Divide starts out pretty good with good bass from the nuke blast but the last half of the film is so uninteresting, you just want it to end so you kind of forget about the bass. I give it a 3.5 on bass but a 2 on the actual movie.

Wow, pretty bad then uh?!

Anyway, is a rental from Netflix, so I have to give it a try. Thanks!
post #4153 of 17403 Old 06-14-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

U-571... first time I've seen it with decent subwoofers. Four stars. Admittedly, I did not hear it in DTS.
I agree with a four star rating, but U-571 gets a 5 in my book! I myself like the fact that the depth charges make you feel like you are in the sub! It was just done right!
post #4154 of 17403 Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Speaking of depth charges is Das Boot on Blu-ray? Now there was some intense depth charge action.
post #4155 of 17403 Old 06-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Speaking of depth charges is Das Boot on Blu-ray? Now there was some intense depth charge action.
Since we bringing up old movies again...

One of my favorite scenes of all time is the flashbang going off in The Town.
First I was like eek.gif.,than i was like confused.gif. than I was like biggrin.gif
post #4156 of 17403 Old 06-14-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I'm the first one to say it..
It's not show art, it's show business.
Remember however, that the studios also took a lot of financial responsibility in getting D-Cinema launched... it was by no means entirely on the backs of the exhibitors..
But I agree with almost all of your comments...
And that is why I am not coming at this as a "they need to invest capital to produce acceptable results.."
IMO, it's only a crusade to educated and bring the issue to light with the backing of my peers and the studios..
I don't expect any equipment changes, etc..
What I want is for my colleagues, the studios and the exhibitors to use what they have already as best they can.
While there may be some capital needed for calibrating, etc..... I'm not talking about embarking on a mission in trying to force them to do so..
I mean to start a discussion.. that's all..
If I'm loud, vocal and persistent, maybe I can start at least one small ripple in the current sea of indifference..
I'll let you all know how it proceeds.. my post was the basis for an email I sent to a bunch of my colleagues... I'll already gotten some responses. smile.gif

As always, Marc, your comments and professional perspective are greatly appreciated. You're right, the studios did take on financial responsibility in launching D-Cinema, and I had overlooked that when I wrote about it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Your agenda has real validity and merit, and think it's a very good thing to pursue the discussion, especially at your position within the production sequence. People will take you seriously. If you personally have had less-than-great experiences at three of the recent theaters you've visited, and people here are complaining about it, it's gotta be a real issue. Turns out, it is. That's one reason I stopped visiting theaters. The last one I visited was a big auditorium in a Cinemark a couple of years ago. I can't remember what picture we were watching, but the audio was so loud and distorted, even after asking to have it turned down, that the film was unwatchable. My gf (at the time) and I walked out with ringing ears, but without asking for our money back.

The way I see it, the studios have taken the initiative with D-Cinema to address the PQ issues. Now they just need to do the same with AQ. Seems logical to me, and it's such an easy fix in so many cases where it's possible that the only missing piece is a (relatively) inexpensive calibration of each auditorium and notice to the popcorn kids not to mess with it.

I'll be interested to hear what's going on with it, and if there's any way I can assist or add to the discourse, please let me know.
post #4157 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
I picked up The Art of Flight as a recommendation here. Tons of bass. The whole thing is demo material. It's a documentary not a movie though, so not sure if it counts.

I know it's been mentioned here before but was wondering if it's going to get added

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #4158 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 View Post

I picked up The Art of Flight as a recommendation here. Tons of bass. The whole thing is demo material. It's a documentary not a movie though, so not sure if it counts.
I know it's been mentioned here before but was wondering if it's going to get added

I watched it last night for the 1st time--good stuff smile.gif.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #4159 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

I just recently watched Chronicle and have to say it is a good movie. The bass is good when it's there but it is not all that frequent, at least not frequent enough to get a high star rating. I would say it is a good 3.5 stars.
post #4160 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 12:21 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

How is Prometheus doing on the bass dept.?

Saw it at the Imax and there were some great bass scenes in there. Whole theater shook a few times.

Because great sound fills the room, shakes the house, breaks hearts, stirs souls, and always will
post #4161 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard8873 View Post

Saw it at the Imax and there were some great bass scenes in there. Whole theater shook a few times.

Thanks for the input. I wasn't sure if pay the premium and watch the movie at Imax or just shoot at the regular cinema. But, it seems it will be Imax at the end.......wink.gif
post #4162 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I watched Warrior last night and theres not much bass in it, but the fireworks at the start of the tournament and a few parts after were pretty good to suck you into the movie. It starts off a little slow, but I liked it more than
I thought i would except for a couple of cheesy parts at the end.

I also watched War Horse last night and I have to say that I honestly didnt have too much interest in the movie from the previews, but it was much better than I thought it would be and in fact I actually really liked it. There are some really good bass moments in this movie and it makes use of the surrounds really nicely. I would say it is worth checking out for anyone with a descent system.

Tonight will be Red Tails which I havent heard too much about in this thread but I figure with war and planes there should be at least something to smile about.

Life is hard, be harder.
post #4163 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 04:48 PM

I live in TX, but happened to be on vacation in CA when Prometheus came out, and I saw it in the IMAX 3D auditorium here: http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/35994

The sound was very loud, probably reference level. The bass was really loud too. Louder than any theatre I have access to in San Antonio. It may have not been a perfect balance, the bass seemed to take complete control of the sound when a loud bass moment happened, so it was probably too loud, but it was better than the alternative (too soft) which is more the norm for theatres these days. But anyway, with this crazy-loud bass, I can confirm there are some moments in Prometheus that should not disappoint when the Blu-ray comes out. There is a ship lift-off that is just awesome... everything was shaking. No word on ULF of course. This was all mid and low bass probably bottoming out around 25-30Hz.

I know this is the bass thread, but here is my mini-review of the movie itself (that is vague as to not reveal any spoilers): I loved the look of the movie, and the science fiction of it all was great, but I wish it had been a true Alien prequel rather than just playing around in the same "Alien" universe. Everything that was not directly related to the other movies are the parts I thought made the movie weaker and less interesting. So... it was entertaining and fun, but I disagree with many of the choices made in the storytelling. Ironically, I would have liked it more if I was not such a big Alien / Aliens fan.

post #4164 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I saw Prometheus at IMAX 3D. The bass was intense but disappointing movie overall. I will still rent the BR to test out the soundtrack on my system. There were parts where I thought the theater roof was going to cave in. Either the bass was mixed super hot or the theater had it cranked way up. Great sound on this one!
post #4165 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Liked: 10
I saw Prometheus in ULTRA AVX ... Man !!! This movie is really BAD ASS in term of bass quantity. The last time I heard so much bass pressurization was for TRON LEGACY !!!

I can t wait for the Blu Ray becausethe movie theater really cannot do justice to this insane bass extension and pressure. At time they were so much bass in the theater that all we can hear is... BASS ! Voice reproduction seems to get lost because of the room pressurization.

I can bet you that the Blu Ray will contain A LOT OF BASS EXTENSION for the bass heads here. The theaters cannot do justice but the Blu Ray will. Even if the cut the bass below 20hz we still can get more at home. It s the kind of bass that remind me EVENT HORIZON with bass extension at every corner, every moment ! So UNREAL !!!

I am expecting 5hz bass and less in A LOT OF SCENES here guys.

Uncompressed 24/96 7.1 channels should be the way to go !

And please. NO DIALOG NORMALISATION CRAP !!!
post #4166 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Sigh...hopefully no bottom outs for me biggrin.gif

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #4167 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance... why did I subject myself to this one? Quite possibly the worst movie I've seen this year. 2.5 stars for the LFE. There's some, but not a lot of it and not a lot of extension. I was almost at three stars, but then remembered I gave 2012 three stars and it had better LFE than this one.
post #4168 of 17403 Old 06-15-2012, 09:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance... why did I subject myself to this one? Quite possibly the worst movie I've seen this year. 2.5 stars for the LFE. There's some, but not a lot of it and not a lot of extension. I was almost at three stars, but then remembered I gave 2012 three stars and it had better LFE than this one.

Yea horrible flick. I was hoping for more LFE considering its an action flick. Underworld Awakening wasn't that great but the massive LFE made it enjoyable to watch.

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #4169 of 17403 Old 06-16-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I had never watched 9 after purchasing my SVS sub....the credits are rolling and all I have to say is WOW! My favorite "bass moments" started around the 54 Minute mark with the barrel of explosives rolling down the shaft, followed by a series of explosions that "ROCKED MY WORLD!" There was also a cannon shot that was quite impressive. I most definitely agree with its 5 Star Rating.

I know this title is old news and has most likely been commented on dozens of times, but like I said this was my first viewing of it with a sub that really digs deep into the low frequencies with precision and accuracy, so I just had to weigh in.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #4170 of 17403 Old 06-16-2012, 08:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

I had never watched 9 after purchasing my SVS sub....the credits are rolling and all I have to say is WOW! My favorite "bass moments" started around the 54 Minute mark with the barrel of explosives rolling down the shaft, followed by a series of explosions that "ROCKED MY WORLD!" There was also a cannon shot that was quite impressive. I most definitely agree with its 5 Star Rating.
I know this title is old news and has most likely been commented on dozens of times, but like I said this was my first viewing of it with a sub that really digs deep into the low frequencies with precision and accuracy, so I just had to weigh in.

Awesome! smile.gif I agree. I just recently watched this again and it is fantastic!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page