The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 154 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4591 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I can't wait to watch it again with some real subs to see what I am missing out on...
biggrin.gif

You will be amazed by the sound quality of this movie, specially the whole scene with the super dragon.........be ready to shake your whole house as soon you have your new subs in place and properly calibrated with you setup (SMS-1 did wonders with my Ultras too).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 568
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr136124 View Post

You will be amazed by the sound quality of this movie, specially the whole scene with the super dragon.........be ready to shake your whole house as soon you have your new subs in place and properly calibrated with you setup (SMS-1 did wonders with my Ultras too).

Cr, I was just looking at your gallery. What kind of mains are those? I'm researching some speakers for a friend and I'm tying to get some options together for him. They look good, but would you recommend them? You can PM me if you don't want to air it out on this thread.

BTW, I bet your SVS Ultras sound great! I am going a slightly different route with sealed LMS's. I just hope they will finally satisfy my seemingly neverending LFEitch...

post #4593 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Cr, I was just looking at your gallery. What kind of mains are those? I'm researching some speakers for a friend and I'm tying to get some options together for him. They look good, but would you recommend them? You can PM me if you don't want to air it out on this thread.
BTW, I bet your SVS Ultras sound great! I am going a slightly different route with sealed LMS's. I just hope they will finally satisfy my seemingly neverending LFEitch...

Nevermind. Upon further investigation, my assumption of those being the RTiA9's was correct!

Man, they look killer, I wonder how they compare to the Klipsch RF-7II's. I'm going to take that question to the Klipsch thread.

In the meantime! I'm going to go out and buy WOTW today.

post #4594 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:

In the meantime! I'm going to go out and buy WOTW today.

About time!! tongue.gif

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #4595 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The fronts are Polk Audio RTi A9s. I owned before the Polk Audio RTi A7s, but I finally upgraded to these speakers (top of the line of the series) and I'm really happy with these speakers. smile.gif

The A9s have a really solid bass (for movies and music), but for sure they can't compete against the two SVS PB13-Ultras. After adding the Ultras, my HT raised to a whole new level. In my case ported was the best option due to the size of my room (+4000 cf), but if you are going with dual subs I think you will be fine. I use a SMS-1 to EQ them and here is a pic of the system response at my room:

Where is your friend located? As you noticed in my gallery, my fronts are black and the subs are cherry. So, I decided to pull the trigger and purchased a second pair of RTi A9s but this time on cherry. So, the blacks will be soon up for sale. Touch base with your friend and let me know if he is interested.

Cheers!
post #4596 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, upon watching Wrath of The Titans I began to hear the most God awful sound known to man (no, not the script)... It sounded as if a speaker had blown, or was hyper extending - that crackley fart sound, you know? Upon investigation it turned out to be that there was SO MUCH BASS coming from my in-credenza center channel (center channel!) that the expelled AIR from the ports was blowing so hard on the thinner back board of the center channel's cubby hole that it was vibrating it enough to create this audible atrocity. I have literally never had this happen in any other film. The good news is that the center channel managed to handle it with out any other issues. Time to reinforce the credenza!tongue.gif
post #4597 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I'm going to go out and buy WOTW today.

I finally re-watched the COMPLETE flick the other night. EPIC!!!! biggrin.gif
post #4598 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Same here! I have every movie in the 5 star category and have listened to them all many times. The audio track on Rambo (2008) Extended Cut is truly awesome. I didn't do any metered measurements, but I'd say that it belongs in the 4.5 stars category the way it was working over my speakers and subs. Very impressive, indeed, and well worth checking out! cool.gif

So why is this flick not listed anywhere on The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts?

post #4599 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 09:54 AM
Bass Enabler

^^^^

It is listed, it just was never given a star rating.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #4600 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:

Just watched HTTYD last night in Bluray on my new PJ. It will be the movie I play to show off the visual competency of my setup.
I'll report back when I have the LMS Ultra's in place. This movie put my Definitive Technology Supercube Reference in a bind. I had it in safe mode several times and finally just had to turn the SMS-1 way down. As to be expected given I boosted the low end in an attempt to compensate for the inflated specs and the sub's realistic roll off @ around 20Hz.
Super fun movie though! I can't wait to watch it again with some real subs to see what I am missing out on...
biggrin.gif

Love this release,.... the intricacies of the soundtrack are really something. From the deepest of deep, to all the minutia,...wonderful stuff.

Pure genius sound design.

If you enjoy the visuals, with some real subwoofage, it should cover you on both fronts. Yep, you bet your sweet bippy.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #4601 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

Just watched HTTYD last night in Bluray on my new PJ. It will be the movie I play to show off the visual competency of my setup.
I'll report back when I have the LMS Ultra's in place. This movie put my Definitive Technology Supercube Reference in a bind. I had it in safe mode several times and finally just had to turn the SMS-1 way down. As to be expected given I boosted the low end in an attempt to compensate for the inflated specs and the sub's realistic roll off @ around 20Hz.
Super fun movie though! I can't wait to watch it again with some real subs to see what I am missing out on...
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

Love this release,.... the intricacies of the soundtrack are really something. From the deepest of deep, to all the minutia,...wonderful stuff.
Pure genius sound design.
If you enjoy the visuals, with some real subwoofage, it should cover you on both fronts. Yep, you bet your sweet bippy.

Do you guys have some kind of special AVS hand book that tells you what movie your referring to? HTTYD is all greek to me. confused.gif

Ian biggrin.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4602 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Do you guys have some kind of special AVS hand book that tells you what movie your referring to? HTTYD is all greek to me. confused.gif
Ian biggrin.gif
It is just one of the many, many movie acronyms that get thrown around here HTTYD is: How to Train Your Dragon.
TKDR: The Dark Night Rises
TKD: The Dark Night
And so on, and so on.

You get used to the big names quickly enough. There is the oddball one that throws me off from time to time still.
post #4603 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 09:00 PM

Liked: 11
Just watch Iron Man 2 and Sky Captain. Both great bass flicks. Sky Captain can stay at 5/5, but I would even bump up Iron Man 2 to 5/5. It had a lot of bass. Not as low as Sky Captain but more bass.

Next on my list is Super 8 and Rambo.

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
post #4604 of 17727 Old 07-24-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

It is just one of the many, many movie acronyms that get thrown around here HTTYD is: How to Train Your Dragon.
TKDR: The Dark Night Rises
TKD: The Dark Night
And so on, and so on.
You get used to the big names quickly enough. There is the oddball one that throws me off from time to time still.
And let's not forget 2 of the most popular ones:

WOTW: War Of The Worlds
FOTP: Flight Of The Phoenix
post #4605 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 03:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Ian biggrin.gif

Too funny! I had the same issue when I started following this thread! I figured them out quick (as Edogg mentioned). If you just google them most pop up in your browser.

The one that threw me off a few weeks back was when people were mentioning the plane crash scene in FOTP. That's your homework assignment...

post #4606 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 606
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but short of time. But, this seems the perfect time, so:

My favorite acronym is LOTR FOTR. This one took me the longest to figure out (of course, it was 10 years ago), and, the real subject of this post is that the 4 disc DVD set, special edition, extended edition, with appendices and with DD EX and DTS-ES options is my all-time, favorite soundtrack, all things considered, overall.

The Balrog sequence has been one of my favorite demos for a decade, back when I was just getting into the sealed L/T subs. I had no idea what the content was, but it was sure a crowd pleaser as a demo, and still is today:

LOTRFOTRBalrogpt3.png
LOTRFOTRBalrogpt2.png
LOTRFOTRBalrogpt1.png

And later, when Frodo puts the ring on and sees the eye:

LOTRFOTRFrodowearsthering.png

There's the giant octopus, Fool of a Took, the cave troll, damaged staircase, staring into the water, avalanche and many more great bass scenes, but as an additional bonus, this soundtrack has, by far an away, the most spectacular CC vocal track of all time.

I also wanted to mention, for anyone who's thought about or tried using SL to make their own graphs, that I've put the SpecLab download on one of my pages and the download includes all of my settings that you can simply upload into SpecLab and have the settings I currently use, ready to graph, no learning curve, no fuss, no muss.

http://www.bossobass.com/Bossobass.com/Technical%20%28cont%29.html

Under 'Making your own graphs with Spectrumlab". There are caveats like SL doesn't play nice with Vista, it won't run on a 64 bit machine and there are notes with illustrations to show the procedure for loading my settings, etc.

I know it's time consuming to cap scenes, upload them to a host and post them here and hats off to Dr. Pain, lfe man and everyone who has done it in the past like Kweezer, Scott, et al. They got me interested in spectrographs and it opened a whole new world to me. But, it's time for the next-gen to grab the torch. The graphs are dwindling in this thread. Just thought I'd mention it...
post #4607 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 07:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 421
I always use the Balrog scene as a demo. I love that scene and not just for bass.
post #4608 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Bosso, you mentioned specifically the lord of the rings dvd's being impressive, are the blu-rays any less impressive? I bought the extended dvd's when they came out and have watched them many times and I keep meaning to get the extended blu-rays but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Years ago before we had kids the wife and I watched all 3 extended movies back to back to back. It was a below 0 December day so we hunkered down and did the marathon. That was on my old 65 inch RPTV and a svs cylinder sub and I was loving it. I wish I could do that now on the 158 inch and dual submersives. Ain't gonna happen until the kids get a lot older.
post #4609 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Bass Enabler

Dude! Dave....I swear we have the most similar favorite scenes for demos and stuff. And I mean, right down to the exact scene. redface.gif Most people mention the other two for bass. For me, it's always FOTR. I even made some of the bass charts in the archives on page one.

And hell yeah, new website! smile.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #4610 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Bosso/Scott,

Any scuttlebutt on whether LOTR BDs are bassically neutered compared to the DVDs?

The DVDs are powerful. I may have to rewatch since last I saw them I didn't have the same freq response at each main seat.....

JSS
post #4611 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Dude! Dave....I swear we have the most similar favorite scenes for demos and stuff. And I mean, right down to the exact scene. redface.gif Most people mention the other two for bass. For me, it's always FOTR. I even made some of the bass charts in the archives on page one.
And hell yeah, new website! smile.gif

cool.gif

Plenty of ULF in this one. When the cave troll whips the chain at bow and arrow guy and the chains hit the walls around him... all the way down to below 3 Hz.

Carp & Max: I've never viewed/heard the BR versions. The 12 disc EE box set is all I'm ever going to be interested in for this series. I'm sure the picture is worth the BR price of admission, but there's something about the EE set for me.

And, seriously, listen to Gandolf's (and the bad-guy white haired dude as well) voice throughout and especially when in the mines. Superb mic/mic pre used, no Q. Great mix as well. Just sounds the way I wish every soundtrack could do vocals. Sadly, not. They're all over the map and usually pretty crappy. FOTR is simply superb.

I guess we won't know about content down low unless someone with the BR runs graphs smile.gif
post #4612 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys......I just received my copy of Tron Legacy/Tron Classic and it is A M A Z I N G ...........thanks eBay!!!

biggrin.gif
post #4613 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:

Too funny! I had the same issue when I started following this thread! I figured them out quick (as Edogg mentioned). If you just google them most pop up in your browser.
The one that threw me off a few weeks back was when people were mentioning the plane crash scene in FOTP. That's your homework assignment...

I'm very familiar with Flight Of the Phoenix. Been discussed for a few years here. LOTR and WOTW are abbreviations I'm also familiar with. But some of the latest titles leave me guessing, since I don't spend as much time on this forum like I use to. Thanks.

Ian smile.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4614 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 03:22 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Here is my short list for Blu Ray demos:

On a ten feet wide screen with B&W 800Diamonds driven by Classé CA-M600 and SSP-800 Sound is my pleasure smile.gif

DTS-HD Master Audio™ 7.1 & Aspect ratio: 2.40:1
- Captain America 3D
- Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol
- Inception
- Tron Legacy
- Hugo
- Real Steel
- Cars 2
- Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D
- Keeping Score: Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique

Dolby True HD 7.1: Super 8

DTS-HD Master Audio™ 5.1 & Aspect ratio: 2.40:1
Rango
The Three Musketeers 3D
Source Code
This Is It
Iron Man 2
Knowing
War of the Worlds
X-Men: The Last Stand
King Kong
Live Free, Die Hard
The Dark Knight
The Matrix
Master and Commander
House of Daggers
Prince of Persia
post #4615 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 04:47 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

I guess we won't know about content down low unless someone with the BR runs graphs smile.gif
I have the BR's, I'll put looking at them in SpecLab at the top of my list, I had no idea the DVD's had such aggressive sub 10Hz content. I really need to measure my signal chain first though, and to do either of those things I have to be home instead of on the road. For signal chain I can run the MKV off the PC to an external soundcard to the AVR and then the sub out on the AVR back to the external soundcard. The soundcard is very flat to very low based on a loopback test I've done on it but I don't know anything about what the AVR does yet. Is the best way to check that just to do a frequency sweep in REW with the above mentioned connections? What kind of numbers have people seen for AVR roll-off?
post #4616 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I always use the Balrog scene as a demo. I love that scene and not just for bass.

Same here. This was one of my first ever demo scenes for HT when the disc first came out years ago and I still love to use it at times. I actually start it at the cave troll part and let it play up until Gandalf falls.......awesome demo stuff!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4617 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

cool.gif
Plenty of ULF in this one. When the cave troll whips the chain at bow and arrow guy and the chains hit the walls around him... all the way down to below 3 Hz.
Carp & Max: I've never viewed/heard the BR versions. The 12 disc EE box set is all I'm ever going to be interested in for this series. I'm sure the picture is worth the BR price of admission, but there's something about the EE set for me.
And, seriously, listen to Gandolf's (and the bad-guy white haired dude as well) voice throughout and especially when in the mines. Superb mic/mic pre used, no Q. Great mix as well. Just sounds the way I wish every soundtrack could do vocals. Sadly, not. They're all over the map and usually pretty crappy. FOTR is simply superb.

What part of the movie is this scene? I would like to run this thru my subs to see how they handle it.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #4618 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

Bosso/Scott,
Any scuttlebutt on whether LOTR BDs are bassically neutered compared to the DVDs?
The DVDs are powerful. I may have to rewatch since last I saw them I didn't have the same freq response at each main seat.....
JSS

Good question. I'll have to look into by watching it again. I haven't spun up the BD version as much as I have the dvd version. I don't have the ability to graphically monitor BD's yet either but I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

What part of the movie is this scene? I would like to run this thru my subs to see how they handle it.

Which part? Most of what was just mentioned was during the middle of the movie while they are in the mine.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #4619 of 17727 Old 07-25-2012, 11:08 PM
Bass Enabler

Hey, Bosso. I spec'd the intro video from your new webpage. smile.gif

Bossofrontpage.png

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #4620 of 17727 Old 07-26-2012, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Reminds me of the Ironhide flip....

JSS
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page