The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 19260 Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

I've also got something percolatin'....still in modeling stage, but looks very promising....

Sweet! Look forward to seeing what you got cookin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

Scott, if you had a built-in BS filter your keyboard wouldn't work when you tried to type.

*laughs*

Touche. Well played, sir.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 19260 Old 07-29-2011, 09:16 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Ok, I'll stop messing with Scott long enough to ask a question...

Anyone graphed a scene from District 9 as they're first getting out of the trucks towards the beginning of the movie? Time stamp is 12:24. Sounds like there's some really low stuff in this film, just not a lot of it.

Oh, and don't point your fookin' tentacles at me, man...(obviously I'm currently watching D9).

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #723 of 19260 Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Tron Legacy....5 star sound 1Star movie. God what a bore.
post #724 of 19260 Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 71
holy cow, watched Terminator Salvation last night at reference level (maybe a little more since i run the subs a bit hotter), and it took down my 20A circuit twice.

never had this happened before.
post #725 of 19260 Old 07-30-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Ran Windtalkers through the system this evening. Randy Thom - enough said. Nothing less than 4 1/2 stars if my ears are any judge.

Not a bad movie, either.

Yup, great bass especially in dir cut dts track. Definitely 4.5 and lots of subsonics in rifle shots... excelent work from randy thom and my fellow citizen paul jyrälä(RIP).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB13Ultra_n00b View Post

No rating for Toy Story 3? What would you guys give it?

Maybe max 2,5 star. Was big dissapoitment what i was excepting from early
recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoAtreides82 View Post

Now that we're halfway through 2011, what release this year would you say has the best bass? My vote goes for Battle: Los Angeles.

Transformers: Dark of the moon will destroy everything in this year in bass amount of 20hz and up.

Edit:Some additions to star list.

Windtalkers (dir cut dts) 4.5 star
Hulk (2003) 4.5 star
The Frighteners (dir cut DTS) 4 star
Kill Bill 3.5 star
Toy story 3 2.5 star
post #726 of 19260 Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I remember voting 5 stars for The Frighteners, but being such an old movie it doesn't have a lot of infrasonic stuff. I think I'd be ok with 4 the way I rate stuff now.

Saw Limitless last night. Decent amount of infrasonics in this one, but this is not really a bass movie. 3 star vote from me. I have got to waterfall the Virgin promo at the start of the movie. All of a sudden, the horns let loose a blast of sub 20Hz content that had everything in the room rattling.

I want to get my hands on Monster House again. I don't recall that one being only a 3.5-4 star... once the house gets up and starts walking around Randy really cranks up the bass.
post #727 of 19260 Old 07-31-2011, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Best? Tron Legacy. Most? Probably Battle LA.

Agreed. Tron mixes it up well between music, action, and dramatic effect. Battle LA had more quantity, but I started to get sick of EVERY machine gun blast pulsing my room with LFE.
post #728 of 19260 Old 07-31-2011, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Limitless - DVD, Dolby Digital

Upgrading my vote to four stars. This movie has more than I suspected it did. It goes all the way down. If this movie had more action, I'd have no problem calling it 4.5. But it's too light on the LFE moments to vote it that high.

Love the Virgin Produced promo. They ain't afraid of messing with people's subwoofers

post #729 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 12:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 554
I was watching Priest, then all of a sudden the room was fluttering. Lots of good LFE in this movie.

post #730 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 1060
Wow! Nice graphs, guys. I haven't seen either of those yet.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #731 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 07:10 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

I was watching Priest, then all of a sudden the room was fluttering. Lots of good LFE in this movie.

http://i.imgur.com/W0ZTH.jpg

That looks very promising. I liked the trailer, reminded me of Assassin's Creed. I should have the blu-ray sometime next year.

Finally got the Superman Anthology on blu-ray, as far as I know all 4 of the Christopher Reeve movies got brand-new DTS-HD Master tracks, the first three in 5.1, the fourth in stereo. Unfortunately Superman Returns is unchanged. Once I get time I'll check to see if there's any bass improvements in the first two.
post #732 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Resident Evil (blu-ray, Dolby TrueHD 5.1) :

Almost -35db average between 30-40hz which is very good. Decent extension down to 27hz, and okay amount of 11hz stuff. I agree with its current 4 star rating.
post #733 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Oklahoma Wolf you are clipping your input brah. That can cause some extra low frequency goodness to appear in your charts which is not actually there. It can also cause you to not be able to see the actual most dynamic peaks in output. Lower that down some if you can.
post #734 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I did - the UCA222 input gain was already cranked way down, almost to the bottom of the slider. Had a tough time getting it to not clip over the majority of the Limitless waterfalls.

This was the best I could do with the time I was willing to spend on it.

I think I've seen that "Virgin Produced" logo a couple times now. Sure wakes you up in a hurry if you have the subs for it.
post #735 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:

I did - the UCA222 input gain was already cranked way down, almost to the bottom of the slider. Had a tough time getting it to not clip over the majority of the Limitless waterfalls.

This was the best I could do with the time I was willing to spend on it.

Hmmmm. Watch the movie at a lower volume?

That's not very fun though is it?
post #736 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I remember voting 5 stars for The Frighteners, but being such an old movie it doesn't have a lot of infrasonic stuff. I think I'd be ok with 4 the way I rate stuff now.

Saw Limitless last night. Decent amount of infrasonics in this one, but this is not really a bass movie. 3 star vote from me. I have got to waterfall the Virgin promo at the start of the movie. All of a sudden, the horns let loose a blast of sub 20Hz content that had everything in the room rattling.

Was that in old thread, i remember voting 5 star to that too, but yeah it's not have anything under 20hz, but it's pretty impressive in 30-40hz area...especially dts track have very hot bass levels. Also watched some scenes from windtalkers and dts track wasn't that good in bass levels what did i remember and but sure thing it have tons of content down single digits.

Also watched limitless and it have pretty good bass scenes. The club scene was nice when the scene changes to another club there was very nice bass and end shooting did have good gun shots too. 3,5-4 star for sure, maybe more to 3,5 star way for quantity.

Notnyt, what time that priest scene is?
post #737 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is priest out already? How are people getting this one already?
post #738 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Hmmmm. Watch the movie at a lower volume?

That's not very fun though is it?

I graphed it using a direct loop through the UCA222... LFE track was ripped right off the disc with bass redirection from the other channels below 80Hz via AC3Filter. First time I've used the Hypercube transcoding method on anything other than a DTS audio file.

I suppose I could have lowered the playback volume of the resulting WAV file a little more (Winamp), but it was already way down too

I think it's actually less trouble to do DTS this way and just use my standalone player with the Dolby Digital decoder for non DTS movies. But that player doesn't have the advantage of the UCA's bandwidth.

Sometimes I feel like waterfalls aren't worth the trouble given the time it takes to get them. That's why I haven't bothered with Windtalkers yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post

Was that in old thread, i remember voting 5 star to that too, but yeah it's not have anything under 20hz, but it's pretty impressive in 30-40hz area...especially dts track have very hot bass levels. Also watched some scenes from windtalkers and dts track wasn't that good in bass levels what did i remember and but sure thing it have tons of content down single digits.

Also watched limitless and it have pretty good bass scenes. The club scene was nice when the scene changes to another club there was very nice bass and end shooting did have good gun shots too. 3,5-4 star for sure, maybe more to 3,5 star way for quantity.

Frighteners does have sub 20Hz content, just not much. Randy just needed better toys than he had back in 1996

The club scene... I forgot about that one. Maybe I should try and get a few more shots from Limitless when I can find some time.
post #739 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Liked: 10
With all this talk about below 20 hz just wondering how many of you out there have systems that you can actually feel it because we all know you can't hear below 20hz.
In my case I have 2 sub 12 in my one theater room and 2 sub 2 in our other I have no problem feeling stuff that goes quite deep.
post #740 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I can hear to 16Hz without too much trouble... it's one of the major reasons I picked 16Hz as the low corner for the two tapped horns. That, and I wanted them to have no trouble playing back the bottom notes of a 32' organ stop.

I try not to let them go much below 15Hz in movies. Excursion becomes an issue. I still need a better highpass than I have.
post #741 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooley View Post

With all this talk about below 20 hz just wondering how many of you out there have systems that you can actually feel it because we all know you can't hear below 20hz.
In my case I have 2 sub 12 in my one theater room and 2 sub 2 in our other I have no problem feeling stuff that goes quite deep.

Depends on the definition of "hear" vs "detect". According to research, hearing can go far below 20Hz. It just needs more spl to be 'heard'. How did the investigators know it was hearing and not feeling? They used a set of controls that were deaf......

JSS
post #742 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I feel like I hear below it, but does it really matter? the impression of hearing it is good enough for me.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #743 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 04:01 PM

I'm not sure if this movie is in the list but I watched it last night and I really thought that it has a good bass... Not to mention the whole sound quality and story.
What do you guys think about this.
post #744 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Definitely a must own for me. Even the preview had me going for my wallet!
post #745 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooley View Post

It has nothing to do with hearing. In the thread about <20 Hz, I posted about the simple test I've done with various movies over the years.

I play a scene with an 18 or 20 Hz HPF in the system, then I play the scene with no HPF, which is flat to 3 Hz. I then ask if the listeners noticed any difference and, if so, I ask them to describe the difference.

My favorite from yesterdays demo was "It was like the Matrix, when Neo flexes the hallway", because that's really a good analogy, IMO.

One guy was in a back bedroom when the first scene was demoed. Later, when the others were offering their opinions on the difference, he said:

"On the first 2 run throughs, I heard and felt the bass. On the 3rd run through
The pictures on the wall and the door went 'DUT-DUT-DUT-DUT-DUT, and I knew something was different".

It's a pressure wave, or more correctly, a combination of pressure waves. When one guy said it pulsed and felt like the floor rippled, I agreed with the description and said that the pressure waves do actually cause the floor to move.

Since I use stacked dual-opposed, dual 15, up/down-firing modules, there is virtually no up/down movement by the subs themselves. I've verified this many years ago and since. It's just the pressure waves actually flexing all of the boundaries, since the room is of frame construction and all wooden beams, studs and joists have a L/360 deflection number that describe their stiffness.

In a masonry room, like MKT's or some basement rooms, there is a) far less transmission loss, so the pressure waves create stronger room gain and b) far less deflection due to much higher stiffness of the masonry vs wood framing, so the pressure waves are more intense, but cause less flexing.

At ground zero, right at the center of the stack of subs, the pressure wave may be in excess of 110dB at frequencies <20 Hz, per stack. The room gain of +15dB at 10 Hz occurs at the speed of sound, or perceptibly instantaneous to the original pressure waves.

That's a LOT for the boundaries immediately proximate to the stacks to resist. Then, consider that a 5 Hz pressure wave has hit the door in the back bedroom before it has even finished leaving the stack, since the single completed wave is 226 feet in length and the bedroom door is only 40 feet from the stack, it's something that takes a bit of pondering to wrap your head around, and certainly something to behold.

Of course, YMMV, IMHO, just my 2 cents and all that jazz.

Bosso
post #746 of 19260 Old 08-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 78
I live in a solid, very solid, concrete apartment. I haven't measured my Empire yet with REW but it is definitely hitting below 20Hz in my room. On the sub 20 stuff, it almost takes your breath away, because of the pressure, like the air pressure around you drops for a short time. Kind of like swimming to the bottom of the deep end in the pool.

I have a glass door framed in wood which closes off the family room and I swear, even at -15Db levels the glass flexes so much it looks like it is going to pop out on the subsonic stuff!
post #747 of 19260 Old 08-02-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

"On the first 2 run throughs, I heard and felt the bass. On the 3rd run through
The pictures on the wall and the door went 'DUT-DUT-DUT-DUT-DUT, and I knew something was different".

It's a pressure wave, or more correctly, a combination of pressure waves. When one guy said it pulsed and felt like the floor rippled, I agreed with the description and said that the pressure waves do actually cause the floor to move.

I guess the assumption is you want the pictures going 'DUT-DUT-DUT-DUT-DUT and "the floor to move". I just want good, EQ'ed, deep, non-muddled bass.
post #748 of 19260 Old 08-02-2011, 07:31 AM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post

I haven't measured my Empire yet with REW but it is definitely hitting below 20Hz in my room.

How do you know that without measuring it? 20hz has come to be the magical dip stick with LFE, but it's pretty damn low itself and can most certainly pressurize a room at the proper level. I doubt very seriously I could pick out 20hz vs 15hz without knowing it was changed (during a movie passage, not a sine wave). Though many would never admit to that.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #749 of 19260 Old 08-02-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I guess the assumption is you want the pictures going 'DUT-DUT-DUT-DUT-DUT and "the floor to move". I just want good, EQ'ed, deep, non-muddled bass.

Commendable.

Can you post your data?

Bosso
post #750 of 19260 Old 08-02-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

How do you know that without measuring it? 20hz has come to be the magical dip stick with LFE, but it's pretty damn low itself and can most certainly pressurize a room at the proper level. I doubt very seriously I could pick out 20hz vs 15hz without knowing it was changed (during a movie passage, not a sine wave). Though many would never admit to that.

I concur...maybe if the room is size of a closet
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page