The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 310 - AVS Forum
First ... 308  309  310 311  312  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
missyman's Avatar missyman 09:04 AM 07-31-2013
Meant to say low pass. Not gain. Lol.

nube's Avatar nube 01:48 PM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyman View Post

was that statement for me nube?
(apologies to Brian)

No, missyman, my comment was not for you specifically. And just for the record, I'm all for people enthusiastically enjoying anything, especially this stuff called "entertainment media," and I'd never presume to tell someone how to responsibly enjoy themselves. smile.gif Also, I was sorta being facetious, as my suggestion will never happen.
missyman's Avatar missyman 04:16 PM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

(apologies to Brian)

No, missyman, my comment was not for you specifically. And just for the record, I'm all for people enthusiastically enjoying anything, especially this stuff called "entertainment media," and I'd never presume to tell someone how to responsibly enjoy themselves. smile.gif Also, I was sorta being facetious, as my suggestion will never happen.
thank you for the clarity.
kemetblk's Avatar kemetblk 07:24 PM 07-31-2013
Is the “Irene“ scene from BHD that's talked about here so much from the blu-ray? I ask because I have the spec.ed. dvd and honestly I couldn't be any more underwhelmed. I know some movies talked about here sound better on dvd than blu-ray (M&C, WotW, The Haunting?) so I was just wondering. Of course I'm sure it could my equipment which is nothing too special, but sounds good with other films.
duc135's Avatar duc135 07:45 PM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

Is the “Irene“ scene from BHD that's talked about here so much from the blu-ray? I ask because I have the spec.ed. dvd and honestly I couldn't be any more underwhelmed. I know some movies talked about here sound better on dvd than blu-ray (M&C, WotW, The Haunting?) so I was just wondering. Of course I'm sure it could my equipment which is nothing too special, but sounds good with other films.

That's your problem. That scene requires a VERY capable system that can reproduce ULF down to the single digits with authority. Those without that capability will not notice anything special.
JWagstaff's Avatar JWagstaff 07:58 PM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

Is the “Irene“ scene from BHD that's talked about here so much from the blu-ray? I ask because I have the spec.ed. dvd and honestly I couldn't be any more underwhelmed. I know some movies talked about here sound better on dvd than blu-ray (M&C, WotW, The Haunting?) so I was just wondering. Of course I'm sure it could my equipment which is nothing too special, but sounds good with other films.

if you don't have two to four 18" sealed subs you won't hear a lot of the ULF in these bass movies.
Cowboys's Avatar Cowboys 08:17 PM 07-31-2013
^^
I listened to Carp's EIGHT 18" seal and that Irene scene didn't impress me either. I believe Archeae told me that scene didn't do much with his dual Captivators either. Now watching Popalock's video of this scene is crazzzzy.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:00 PM 07-31-2013
Did carp has his low end boosted? Without boost most would be down quite a bit at 5 hz.
Cowboys's Avatar Cowboys 09:21 PM 07-31-2013
^^ not sure. His 8 DIY 18" sounds truly amazing. Matter of fact his whole system just sounds unbelievable with 3 JTR 212 across the front.
wse's Avatar wse 09:27 PM 07-31-2013
I was wondering if some of think that there are better subs than JL AUDIO FATHOM F113 in the same price range?
duc135's Avatar duc135 10:02 PM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I was wondering if some of think that there are better subs than JL AUDIO FATHOM F113 in the same price range?

That all depends on what your criteria for "better" is. Sheer output? Absolutely. You can get a JTR or Seaton that can't be touched by the JL at half the retail price of the JL give or take. Better output in a compact size and aesthetics like the JL? Possibly, but it would be difficult and I don't know of any. Then there's the DIY route and you can go nuts. The JL will not be able to touch anything properly built for the same price. For example, you can get eight 18" drivers in sealed boxes powered by a single LG clone amp with plenty of money left over.
spidey.joe80's Avatar spidey.joe80 10:32 PM 07-31-2013
I also think it would be a good idea if people had their setup and frequencey response listed in their sig.
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 11:22 PM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey.joe80 View Post

I also think it would be a good idea if people had their setup and frequencey response listed in their sig.

You're kidding right ?
steve nn's Avatar steve nn 11:39 PM 07-31-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey.joe80 View Post

I also think it would be a good idea if people had their setup and frequencey response listed in their sig.

Hu confused.gif Ok smile.gif














BO E

audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 12:35 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

I didnt think it was very good TBH. Id rate it at 3.5 if I remember correctly

Nothing really special on G.I Joe , and as a sequel it was a let down for me, overall mix was good and there where some bass moments but nothing I would consider even worth graphing to find out.

a solid 3 for me.
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 12:35 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo1234 View Post

I didnt think it was very good TBH. Id rate it at 3.5 if I remember correctly

Nothing really special on G.I Joe , and as a sequel it was a let down for me, overall mix was good and there where some bass moments but nothing I would consider even worth graphing to find out.

a solid 3 for me.
Prime316's Avatar Prime316 04:33 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post

That's your problem. That scene requires a VERY capable system that can reproduce ULF down to the single digits with authority. Those without that capability will not notice anything special.

Sounds like quite a waste since this would exclude the vast majority of us. If it's out of reach of many on a home theater forum, just think about the rest of the world.
JWagstaff's Avatar JWagstaff 06:49 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

Sounds like quite a waste since this would exclude the vast majority of us. If it's out of reach of many on a home theater forum, just think about the rest of the world.

The whole point of this thread is to find scenes that are super low frequency and very hard to reproduce. That's why you have to post graphs, because the theaters can't get anywhere near it and most people's set-ups can't unless they specifically have gotten a bunch of sealed subs with some nice EQ. All these new movies coming out, most of them don't even hold a candle to movies like war of the worlds and cloverfield, so half of us are wondering how people are rating movies that are clearly 3-4 a 4.5-5, as good as wotw or cloverfield. They just aren't even close.
kemetblk's Avatar kemetblk 09:29 AM 08-01-2013
Thanks for the responses! I guess my PB12-NSD isn't in that class. Does anyone think two PB1000's or SB1000's would do any better? I ask because I'm still within my full trade up window w/ SVS. Or should I just save up for another PB12-NSD?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

The whole point of this thread is to find scenes that are super low frequency and very hard to reproduce. That's why you have to post graphs, because the theaters can't get anywhere near it and most people's set-ups can't unless they specifically have gotten a bunch of sealed subs with some nice EQ. All these new movies coming out, most of them don't even hold a candle to movies like war of the worlds and cloverfield, so half of us are wondering how people are rating movies that are clearly 3-4 a 4.5-5, as good as wotw or cloverfield. They just aren't even close.

Not trying to start an arguement, but I never thought this thread was just about ULF bass. The thread title is "the new master list of BASS in movies", not "ULF BASS". Many of the movies listed here sound awesome on my system (at least imo), including WotW and Cloverfield. I can only imagine how they must sound on those subs that do reach down into single digits! But it seems that I'm one of those many (majority here?) people that don't have subs capable of that. Again, thanks for the responses!
cuzed2's Avatar cuzed2 09:39 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

Thanks for the responses! I guess my PB12-NSD isn't in that class. Does anyone think two PB1000's or SB1000's would do any better? I ask because I'm still within my full trade up window w/ SVS. Or should I just save up for another PB12-NSD?
Not trying to start an arguement, but I never thought this thread was just about ULF bass. The thread title is "the new master list of BASS in movies", not "ULF BASS". Many of the movies listed here sound awesome on my system (at least imo), including WotW and Cloverfield. I can only imagine how they must sound on those subs that do reach down into single digits! But it seems that I'm one of those many (majority here?) people that don't have subs capable of that. Again, thanks for the responses!

A few comments:
First I am a very satisfied SVS owner with 3x, 16Hz capable cylinders. IMO; It is unlikely one will be able experience the lowest ULF discussed here with most commercially affordable offerings (incl. SVS).
However I still enjoy the ULF discussions here because it does allow me to choose those few movies that do use use all the range my cylinders offer. And then there are even fewer movies that go beyond what I can recreate (and have me wanting to build IBs in my next HT) smile.gif
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:54 AM 08-01-2013
The ULF's add a sense of realism and weight but it is nothing like very loud 20hz bass. When real life ULF's occur it is just part of the sound and without it something would feel off, we would not know what it was but it would be different. Same goes for movies with the whole audio intact. When I had my 4 F-20's the bass on every movie was awesome but after watching the scenes over and over I just felt something was missing and it was the weight(energy) of the bottom end. I am on concrete so the effects are more subtle but if you are on wood you can feel the vibrations more.
mjaudio's Avatar mjaudio 10:17 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

Thanks for the responses! I guess my PB12-NSD isn't in that class. Does anyone think two PB1000's or SB1000's would do any better? I ask because I'm still within my full trade up window w/ SVS. Or should I just save up for another PB12-NSD?

If your happy with your PB12-NSD then that's all the matters. The truth is most commercial subs are not capable of ULF to do the F-ing Irene Scene justice. DIY subs with multiple high excursion drivers and a careful tailored DSP is were you can really feel the ULF content.
Toe's Avatar Toe 11:00 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

The whole point of this thread is to find scenes that are super low frequency and very hard to reproduce. That's why you have to post graphs, because the theaters can't get anywhere near it and most people's set-ups can't unless they specifically have gotten a bunch of sealed subs with some nice EQ. All these new movies coming out, most of them don't even hold a candle to movies like war of the worlds and cloverfield, so half of us are wondering how people are rating movies that are clearly 3-4 a 4.5-5, as good as wotw or cloverfield. They just aren't even close.


I disagree. If this thread was titled "the master ULF thread" or something along those lines you would have a point, but its not. This thread is much more than just about ULF.

I also disagree that it is surprising how some can give subjective high star ratings to tracks that don't objectively measure that way since many on here don't have ULF capable setups and can only subjectively report with the capability they have which could broaden the field in their setup as far as what a 5 star bass track is. Those that have ULF systems will obviously be able to put better separation between a 20hz filtered track and one that hits single digits. I personally welcome opinions from both camps since most here don't have truly capable ULF systems.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 11:21 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I disagree. If this thread was titled "the master ULF thread" or something along those lines you would have a point, but its not. This thread is much more than just about ULF.

I also disagree that it is surprising how some can give subjective high star ratings to tracks that don't objectively measure that way since many on here don't have ULF capable setups and can only subjectively report with the capability they have which could broaden the field in their setup as far as what a 5 star bass track is. Those that have ULF systems will obviously be able to put better separation between a 20hz filtered track and one that hits single digits. I personally welcome opinions from both camps since most here don't have truly capable ULF systems.

I agree, BHD to me is not a 5 star bass movie even though it is full bandwidth. There are many movies that have ULF but not high enough levels through out. Others have high levels but no ULF, to me a true 5 star means it has everything! 5 star should be the ultimate, perfect, as good as it gets, etc.. Again, all this can be and is measured, no guessing anymore thanks to Maxmercy. Now how it translates to our rooms will depend on systems. If someone says they feel OZ is better than WOTW then it means their system is not getting everything on the disc unless that person just loves something in particular, but I think people should at least say their preferences. My favorite bass demo is FOTP plane roll and that is a 25hz very high level signal and then next is a very high level 15-19hz from the movie pulse. So when movies have similar effects I prefer them to others. When the lightning strikes during WOTW my room builds pressure but nothing else which is cool(5hz stuff) but I prefer the crazy levels at 15-25hz. I want all of it so I put together a system to suit my needs. I had systems that did each well but always missed the whole enchilada. Oh, just because I like certain levels at certain frequencies does not mean I will rate them higher than movies that have more of something else. It just happens that my favorite go to scene is a true 5 star movie! Go figure. WOTW's too!
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 11:45 AM 08-01-2013
It seems this thread has come full circle.
Toe's Avatar Toe 11:47 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I agree, BHD to me is not a 5 star bass movie even though it is full bandwidth. There are many movies that have ULF but not high enough levels through out. Others have high levels but no ULF, to me a true 5 star means it has everything! 5 star should be the ultimate, perfect, as good as it gets, etc.. Again, all this can be and is measured, no guessing anymore thanks to Maxmercy. Now how it translates to our rooms will depend on systems. If someone says they feel OZ is better than WOTW then it means their system is not getting everything on the disc unless that person just loves something in particular, but I think people should at least say their preferences. My favorite bass demo is FOTP plane roll and that is a 25hz very high level signal and then next is a very high level 15-19hz from the movie pulse. So when movies have similar effects I prefer them to others. When the lightning strikes during WOTW my room builds pressure but nothing else which is cool(5hz stuff) but I prefer the crazy levels at 15-25hz. I want all of it so I put together a system to suit my needs. I had systems that did each well but always missed the whole enchilada. Oh, just because I like certain levels at certain frequencies does not mean I will rate them higher than movies that have more of something else. It just happens that my favorite go to scene is a true 5 star movie! Go figure. WOTW's too!

Well said.

As far as LFE goes and my personal preferences, my personal favorite LFE tracks are films that are just loaded with the stuff like the third Matrix, TIH, etc......because of this, a track that objectively measures higher like Looper will always place lower on my own personal scale vs something like Giant Slayer. Even though Giant Slayer drops off at ~20 hz, it is a much more impressive LFE experience for me overall due to the sheer amount of LFE while Looper has very little in comparison. Again though, this is just a personal grading criteria I use.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 11:51 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

It seems this thread has come full circle.

It is not the first or last time this will happen.
nube's Avatar nube 11:54 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I agree, BHD to me is not a 5 star bass movie even though it is full bandwidth. There are many movies that have ULF but not high enough levels through out. Others have high levels but no ULF, to me a true 5 star means it has everything! 5 star should be the ultimate, perfect, as good as it gets, etc.. Again, all this can be and is measured, no guessing anymore thanks to Maxmercy. Now how it translates to our rooms will depend on systems. If someone says they feel OZ is better than WOTW then it means their system is not getting everything on the disc unless that person just loves something in particular, but I think people should at least say their preferences. My favorite bass demo is FOTP plane roll and that is a 25hz very high level signal and then next is a very high level 15-19hz from the movie pulse. So when movies have similar effects I prefer them to others. When the lightning strikes during WOTW my room builds pressure but nothing else which is cool(5hz stuff) but I prefer the crazy levels at 15-25hz. I want all of it so I put together a system to suit my needs. I had systems that did each well but always missed the whole enchilada. Oh, just because I like certain levels at certain frequencies does not mean I will rate them higher than movies that have more of something else. It just happens that my favorite go to scene is a true 5 star movie! Go figure. WOTW's too!

Point of note: the FOTP barrel roll is centered at 32Hz. As proof, I have a graph I made for you on the other site. wink.gif


MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 11:59 AM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Well said.

As far as LFE goes and my personal preferences, my personal favorite LFE tracks are films that are just loaded with the stuff like the third Matrix, TIH, etc......because of this, a track that objectively measures higher like Looper will always place lower on my own personal scale vs something like Giant Slayer. Even though Giant Slayer drops off at ~20 hz, it is a much more impressive LFE experience for me overall due to the sheer amount of LFE while Looper has very little in comparison. Again though, this is just a personal grading criteria I use.

I enjoy any high level bass. I take what is presented but I do get disappointed sometimes. Nothing I can do so I just enjoy what the movie has. Imagine if The Avengers had WOTW bass, we would not be using any other movie for demos. I would love for all great action flicks to be 5 star but history shows 5 stars are few and far between, why they are 5 stars. Hey maybe one day a movie will come out with 0 dBFS at 3-120hz and make WOTW look like a 4 star movie and then the scale changes. I just enjoy bass and when a very good one passes by I get excited. I watched Dredd last night and it had very good bass in it although not elite. I still use LOTR:FOTR Balrog scene as a demo because I just like the overall sound, bass, score, etc... as a whole! Great scene to show of the system.
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 12:01 PM 08-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

It is not the first or last time this will happen.

Guess not ! but on another note I received a copy of "Pulse" in from netflix to finish off the 5 star list biggrin.gif What are the key scenes or scene I should look for or shall we say listen for ?
Tags: The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
First ... 308  309  310 311  312  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop