The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 373 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #11161 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

I knew I was going to be disappointed with PR during the beginning of the very first scene. When you have this GINORMOUS creature stepping out of the water and onto a bridge and it doesn't rock your socks, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the movie.

I agree that Oblivion isn't a top tier ULF movie, but I think overall it's mix is awesome. I've become a bit of a ULF snob recently, but to me Oblivion is still demo-worthy material for it's overall presentation. For the ULF stuff, give me OHF any day!

I completly agree about how the first scene doesn't bode well. When the monster went thru the bridge the bass seemed lumpy and not distinct and thats kinda how it was the rest of the movie. I also agree with Nubes discriptioin of the soundtrack of how it droned on and it wasn't a track that you can crank. It wasn't a horribe soundtrack at all though just not 5 star or very much ULF. When theres ULF say under 20hz in a soundtrack when I have it turned up close to reference the ceiling and one of my walls will shift like theyr coming off the foundation. This never happend with Pacific Rim. I loved Oblivion the movie and the soundtrack tho even tho theres not a whole lot of ULF but I loved it the 4 times ive seen it now.
dmode11 likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11162 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post

Yes.

Full frequency range down to well below 20Hz makes a huge difference in quality and realism, and this can be experienced with very reasonable gear today, if you don't play loud you can buy commercial subs capable of below 20Hz extension, for a reasonable price in a reasonably sized package.
Even without earth-quake capacity, the difference can easily be heard.

The filtering causes boomy, rumbling bass without character and articulation, it is just annoying when played loud.
A good soundtrack, on the other hand, will sound better the louder you turn it up, with impact and punch and atmosphere.

Kind of makes you wonder what these studios have for monitoring - if the speakers are low quality or not properly set up, it will always sound boomy and rumbling and there will be no difference with high quality source material.

This is a very tragic trend, especially today when the lossless sound formats could be capable of delivering really spectacular sound quality.

Another trend I see is reviewers giving soundtracks a fantastic rating when the quality obviously is mediocre.
This is a problem because if the producers see that their audience are happy, the soundtracks will never improve.
Is this because the reviewers have lesser equipment in their home theaters?
That may be part of the problem, but a competent reviewer should be able to listen and observe beyond minor faults in the reproduction chain - all real-world systems will have limitations.
It is really a question of competence, on how to listen and how to observe audio quality.

Thats the thing most of these studios have amazing setups to mix the theatrical mix on but when they switch over to the nearfield mix setup to do the BD mix its just a small nearfield monitor setup. Bottom line is they need no more HP filters down low and they need to give us the theatrical soundtrack on the disk

JBL Pro Cinema
post #11163 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will be giving Pacific Rim a spin tonight .

FW 15.3 PSB, Now where did I put my beer?
post #11164 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I'm still buying, I got PR today, I tend to judge movies as a whole as whether or not its collection or rental worthy. Besides my sub has love for all bass, its not like the under 25hz are the only bass frequencies but they are indeed missed when not present wink.gif

Is this a movies with bass thread or just a movies with ULF bass thread only ?

Both.

However the criteria for which a movie is rated as good or bad is dependent on whether the bass in the movie goes in to the ULF department. This is why bass in the mid range is neglected in this thread. We do still acknowledge this. If your subs don't go too low, then a movie like Pacific Rim or TDKR could be a 5 star for you. smile.gif
post #11165 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 429
I just watched the first 17 minutes of Pacific Rim and it is just non stop bass. I do however have new woofage, but this movie is rocking!! Reminds me allot of Transformers DOTM.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11166 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Other than The Hobbit, Man Of Steel is the most disappointing bass movie this year, imo. If you're gonna have a steep hpf at 30 Hz, at least make the 30 plus stuff loud! Really, really disappointed. :-(
post #11167 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Just watched PR. Thought it was a decent flick but had to crank the sub up another 4db above the usual 6db hot it's usually set at to get more out of it. Watched it on Vudu w/DD+ at -10. I tend to get an experience pretty close to BD as far as bass is concerned with Vudu with the few movies I rented and liked enough to buy. Not the picture quality of BD but not at all bad.
post #11168 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Other than The Hobbit, Man Of Steel is the most disappointing bass movie this year, imo. If you're gonna have a steep hpf at 30 Hz, at least make the 30 plus stuff loud! Really, really disappointed. :-(

Really? That is so disappointing to hear. Did you watch it on BD or a file?
post #11169 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
T
Quote:

That sucks. This is the one movie I have been waiting for.

Kaboom.
post #11170 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi777 View Post

Both.

However the criteria for which a movie is rated as good or bad is dependent on whether the bass in the movie goes in to the ULF department. This is why bass in the mid range is neglected in this thread. We do still acknowledge this. If your subs don't go too low, then a movie like Pacific Rim or TDKR could be a 5 star for you. smile.gif

That is just ONE criteria for a lot of us and certainly does not automatically make or break the LFE experience as a whole for me. Some filtered tracks harm the overall experience more than others. Something like The Hobbit is a train wreck, but something like Transf 3 (again, just my opinion) is still a killer overall experience LFE and otherwise (even if it is not quite as good as it could be with better extension).

Having said that, I thought PR was a flat out BLAST in the low end department. Sure, not the deepest digger which would have made it that much better, but what a powerhouse! I thought it supported the on screen action very well and was just a flat out LOUD and potent bass fest which again really drove the on screen action home VERY well IMO. This is just an all out powerhouse bass assault which will be either a good or bad thing depending on the listener. I loved it considering the film!

I watched at -1 from ref and run my subs hot by ~8-10db below ~50hz (flat up to that point) and this bass track was a riot!

Throw in reference PQ and this was a great blind buy for me. Looking forward to the 3d version next watch which will be in the next day or so. FUN!
audiofan1 likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #11171 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

Really? That is so disappointing to hear. Did you watch it on BD or a file?

T'was a file ripped from a BR. But others have had the same impression, including a posted graph a page or 2 back. I thought PR wasn't that great, but it definitely had more heft to it than Man Of Steel. The graph showed a steep hpf at 30 Hz and another at 20, I believe. Wasn't a huge fan of the movie itself, either, but there were so many opportunities for some real sub action gone to waste.

People think I'm insane for watching and rewatching some of the classic demo scenes, but I need my bass fix when I'm so often disappointed by new stuff that SHOULD be great!
post #11172 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 10:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 426
Just finished Real Steel. What an unexpected treat that soundtrack was maybe the dynamic range was compressed a tad more than I liked, but wow very impressive overall.
post #11173 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post

Yes.

Full frequency range down to well below 20Hz makes a huge difference in quality and realism, and this can be experienced with very reasonable gear today, if you don't play loud you can buy commercial subs capable of below 20Hz extension, for a reasonable price in a reasonably sized package.
Even without earth-quake capacity, the difference can easily be heard.

The filtering causes boomy, rumbling bass without character and articulation, it is just annoying when played loud.
A good soundtrack, on the other hand, will sound better the louder you turn it up, with impact and punch and atmosphere.

Kind of makes you wonder what these studios have for monitoring - if the speakers are low quality or not properly set up, it will always sound boomy and rumbling and there will be no difference with high quality source material.

This is a very tragic trend, especially today when the lossless sound formats could be capable of delivering really spectacular sound quality.

Another trend I see is reviewers giving soundtracks a fantastic rating when the quality obviously is mediocre.
This is a problem because if the producers see that their audience are happy, the soundtracks will never improve.
Is this because the reviewers have lesser equipment in their home theaters?
That may be part of the problem, but a competent reviewer should be able to listen and observe beyond minor faults in the reproduction chain - all real-world systems will have limitations.
It is really a question of competence, on how to listen and how to observe audio quality.

Thats the thing most of these studios have amazing setups to mix the theatrical mix on but when they switch over to the nearfield mix setup to do the BD mix its just a small nearfield monitor setup. Bottom line is they need no more HP filters down low and they need to give us the theatrical soundtrack on the disk

+1
post #11174 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Look what showed up in the mail today! Good new dual Submersive testers! Gotta get my room figured out first though.

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #11175 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Look what showed up in the mail today! Good new dual Submersive testers! Gotta get my room figured out first though.

OHF=OMG!
ellisr63 likes this.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #11176 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
What a disappointment PR was. After Oblivion and WWZ, that one was quite bad. One note bass it seems with not depth. Its sad when the drone in Oblivion has a deeper bass than the huge monsters in PR, pretty sad. Man of Steel on the other hand was mixed using this http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RTS735E-Home-Theater-Sound/dp/B008KP4MQU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1381902634&sr=8-2&keywords=sound+bar , pathetic.
post #11177 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 PM

I just got World War Z today so will watch it tonight with also dual Submersives with the new HP+ amps installed last night.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #11178 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 11:23 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Are the reviews coming in on Pacific Rim, blu ray reviews or streaming reivews.? I read one review on here that the clip lights never shut off on the amps? I mean who is telling the truth here? I picked up my BR copy also picked up a Hijacking due to high ratings on rotten tomatoes. Just waiting on my Triax's to get here this afternoon. smile.gif

All my ratings are based on the Bluray disk and the "best" audio on it. Usually the DTS HD or True HD audio track in 7.1. If that is not available I watch a PLiix´d 5.1
ellisr63 likes this.
post #11179 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashi777 View Post

Both.

No way! anything filtered will be 5 star for bass, I was just trying to show the upper bass a little love as we are stuck with it on some soundtracks. 3.5 or how ever many stars for bass in movies are simply what they are, regardless of one's sub or subs capability wink.gif
ellisr63 likes this.
post #11180 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 11:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

That is just ONE criteria for a lot of us and certainly does not automatically make or break the LFE experience as a whole for me. Some filtered tracks harm the overall experience more than others. Something like The Hobbit is a train wreck, but something like Transf 3 (again, just my opinion) is still a killer overall experience LFE and otherwise (even if it is not quite as good as it could be with better extension).

Having said that, I thought PR was a flat out BLAST in the low end department. Sure, not the deepest digger which would have made it that much better, but what a powerhouse! I thought it supported the on screen action very well and was just a flat out LOUD and potent bass fest which again really drove the on screen action home VERY well IMO. This is just an all out powerhouse bass assault which will be either a good or bad thing depending on the listener. I loved it considering the film!

I watched at -1 from ref and run my subs hot by ~8-10db below ~50hz (flat up to that point) and this bass track was a riot!

Throw in reference PQ and this was a great blind buy for me. Looking forward to the 3d version next watch which will be in the next day or so. FUN!

Score! I can't wait till tomorrow night. wink.gif
ellisr63 likes this.
post #11181 of 18152 Old 10-15-2013, 11:34 PM

I just finished watching Pacific Rim in bluray 3D in my awesome awesome home theater system and I absolutely loved it! It was 2 hours 11 minutes and 16 seconds of pure bass heaven! I even finished the entire credit too and at the last second a very sweet burst of bass at the very end. Wow! I never spend $30 for a bluray before. My price point has always been $15 or less. But for Pacific Rim, totally worth every penny!

Check out the special feature disk especially the Drift Space scene, lots of bass there.

I hope God aka Guillermo del Toro makes PR2!
ellisr63 and audiofan1 like this.
post #11182 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Just watched Pacific Rim again ithis time in 3D. Damn this movie has some amazing 3D! Visuals are just amazing and some much depth in every scene. This really is a super loud movie and there is bass all over the place. Wish it went deeper but It was still a blast especially in 3D.
ellisr63 likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #11183 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 227
If anyone has an extra Blu ray demo disc, you know the ones created here on AVS, and would sell one. PM me:)

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

My Setup Thread

post #11184 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

If anyone has an extra Blu ray demo disc, you know the ones created here on AVS, and would sell one. PM me:)
me to please.
post #11185 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Just for reference can someone run a side by side graph of Cloverfield vs Pacific Rim? I would like to see the difference in extension and level, pretty please?
post #11186 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 07:39 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 457
That would be interesting to see. I would have to think Cloverfield has more extension, but level would be a closer match. PR certainly has more run time with bass moments as this thing is packed to the gills.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #11187 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

All that bass all the time is what lowers it's dynamic value. If we keep seeing these graphs which are great and they are much easier to do then we need WOTW and the other 5 star movies done so we can reference them. I know D-B did them but the scale is different. We need the graphs and levels all to be the same for a comparison. This way we can see what the differences are between how WOTW feels to say PR. This also can aide people in deciding if the ULFS are worth it or not, maybe they like loud midbass over deep extension. Of course their system would have to provide both for a fair assessment.
post #11188 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

All that bass all the time is what lowers it's dynamic value. If we keep seeing these graphs which are great and they are much easier to do then we need WOTW and the other 5 star movies done so we can reference them. I know D-B did them but the scale is different. We need the graphs and levels all to be the same for a comparison. This way we can see what the differences are between how WOTW feels to say PR.
I believe I read that PR only went to 19hz

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #11189 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I believe I read that PR only went to 19hz

Yes, but that is much better than Avengers. I can still enjoy a movie with 20hz bass although I prefer 3 hz! The level of PR is 5 stars and to 19hz it won't be that bad. If this had 3 star levels and 20hz extension it would be much worse. Now 5 star level and extension is what we want all the time!
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #11190 of 18152 Old 10-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Does anyone have a graph of "The Town" BD - Charlestown bank robbers with Ben Affleck - where the Boston police throw a stun grenade into basement of Red Sox stadium?
It seems like it was very low (20 Hz) and powerful.

thanks

B&W 802 Diamond mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center, B&W 804 Diamond surrounds, Parasound HALO A 51, Krell KAV-300i , Integra DHC-80.3 pre-pro, two JL Audio Fathom f113 subs, Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page