The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 412 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12331 of 18948 Old 12-06-2013, 11:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Anyone see the Getaway? Gave my subs a good workout and enjoyed the audio quite a lot for all the deep bass it had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12332 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 12:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

Anyone see the Getaway? Gave my subs a good workout and enjoyed the audio quite a lot for all the deep bass it had.
Watched it yesterday and have to agree with you. Pretty good track and some good chases too.
post #12333 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Watched it yesterday and have to agree with you. Pretty good track and some good chases too.

Especially the power plant scene, that one got me by surprise!
post #12334 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Pacific Rim - Chapter 7

Pacific_Rim_ch7_54.jpg
post #12335 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 03:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

GPBURNS,

I liked the track because of a variety of things, including its great dynamics, fantastic sound design that really created a lot of tension with the ELF content, and spectacular use of the surrounds. It was much like The Amazing Spider-Man, as someone else noted - low levels, but the content is there.

It's not loud or in your face at all, but the LFE is used masterfully, in my opinion, to create immersion. The movie sucked, though. LOL
I wholeheartedly agree with the above comparison to MoS and PR.

I don't think Steveo1234 has a "Korean" Blu-ray, whatever that even means. I think maybe he was confused as to the pedigree of his downloaded disc. wink.gif

Steveo1234 noted this as his audio source:
Which are exactly the specs on the US Retail Blu-ray disc. If they were different mixes, it'd be exceedingly difficult to make them the same bitrate, while encoded with different information.

I feel like this is much ado about nothing. The mix you'll buy here in North America is very good in terms of LFE. Very, very good - but it's not loud or "bombastic," as I'm sure reviewers here will claim, but its got weight. The movie is pretty boring, though. I'd rent instead of buy if I were you.

Pretty sure its the Korean disk. The Hangul on the cover kind of gives it away tongue.gif
If the audio info I posted is identical to the audio on the US disk then we can be sure that the audio is the same as well.
post #12336 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I saw Elysium today at reference on 3 x Catalysts 12C's and Quad Submersives.............................This movie had some absolutely killer ULF's..............probably one of the strongest on here that has been released this year. Had the doors rattling and timber behind the plaster vibrating like crazy!!!.

Not sure why some people arnt getting the bass moments and some are!?!.............Weird!
steve nn and nube like this.
post #12337 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Revisted IH last night. Wow, its amazing how slippery the slope is; dynamics and bass were outstanding. I'm wondering if lots of titles from that period and before were just normally like that and somehow over the years remixing has changed directions and slowly gone down?

Hi mo949

Good to hear that you enjoyed IH 2008. I wish Universal were to also revisit IH 2008, Scott P v TW, Serenity, etc. to remind them of the excellent quality of recordings which they used to put together.

Sometimes you have to look back to move forward :)

All the best

Rick.

post #12338 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Dead In Tombstone is a LFE fest and did not seem filtered at all (I would be curious to see some graphs at db). This thing is loaded with the low stuff! cool.gif Really aggressive surround work on top of all the bass mahem as well. Fun HT ride!

Yes - What an epic soundtrack - spectacular . Fun ride indeed - thanks for heads up

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #12339 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Yes - What an epic soundtrack - spectacular . Fun ride indeed - thanks for heads up

Glad you liked it! I was surprised not to see this one mentioned in here or db yet. One of the best this year subjectively IMO, but I am curious to see the graphs when they materialize. A forum friend of mine convinced me to blind buy it based on how much he liked the low end (S2 owner) and I loved it as well. cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #12340 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Toe,

People prolly overlooked Dead in Tombstone cuz it was direct to disc, never played in theaters, and has atrociously bad reviews everywhere. wink.gif

I'm gonna take one for the team and jump on this grenade to measure/watch it. I'll let you know how it is next week.
post #12341 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Toe,

People prolly overlooked Dead in Tombstone cuz it was direct to disc, never played in theaters, and has atrociously bad reviews everywhere. wink.gif

I'm gonna take one for the team and jump on this grenade to measure/watch it. I'll let you know how it is next week.
You are a true bass wingman👍
post #12342 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Glad you liked it! I was surprised not to see this one mentioned in here or db yet. One of the best this year subjectively IMO, but I am curious to see the graphs when they materialize. A forum friend of mine convinced me to blind buy it based on how much he liked the low end (S2 owner) and I loved it as well. cool.gif

Guys flick for sure - Guerrero/Rourke - Dina Meyer looking fine - gun fire and action thru out - punishing low end.
the video is great also - I'm in a velvet lined bat cave and contrast/black levels were superb -

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #12343 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Toe,

Movies of course are VERY subjective and one mans trash is another's treasure. wink.gif I am of the belief that a movie can be "good" for a variety of different reasons when you have a high octane HT especially. I found the film extremely entertaining in the HT, but without the A/V factor would not get more than one spin for me I am sure. This is one reason why I love HT......movies that otherwise would not be worth a damn can all of a sudden be incredibly fun and have repeat value. cool.gif

I am sure you will hate the film Nube, but I do appreciate you "taking one for the team" and measuring it as I am curious to see how it ranks from an objective standpoint. If your a bass fan, I don't know how you cant enjoy it from that perspective at least. wink.gif

post #12344 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

Guys flick for sure - Guerrero/Rourke - Dina Meyer looking fine - gun fire and action thru out - punishing low end.
the video is great also - I'm in a velvet lined bat cave and contrast/black levels were superb -

Exactly. This is a guys film for sure and I really enjoyed it all things considered. It is just flat out brainless fun which some people know how to enjoy and some don't I suppose. Crank this puppy up to ref levels and enjoy the ride if the mood strikes for this type of experience which for me it often does.

Agreed on the video as well. I am also in a black velvet black hole HT and the black levels really showed off my JVC projector and the PQ in general was excellent. cool.gif

post #12345 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 01:09 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

I saw Elysium today at reference on 3 x Catalysts 12C's and Quad Submersives.............................This movie had some absolutely killer ULF's..............probably one of the strongest on here that has been released this year. Had the doors rattling and timber behind the plaster vibrating like crazy!!!.

Not sure why some people arnt getting the bass moments and some are!?!.............Weird!

What region is your disc mate?
post #12346 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, Toe, I suffered through After Earth and Getaway without absolutely hating them, so I'm sure I won't absolutely hate this one. I think I've seen a whole lot more bad films than good over the years, but I still watch 'em. smile.gif

As an aside, Getaway had a lot of flaws in the sound design & mix, with all that terribly unnecessary road noise. It has a ton of bass, but it's not really bass done well - a lot of it is misplaced and artificial-sounding. Some people don't care cuz they just want MOAR BAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! That's fine. smile.gif Not singling anyone out, just saying it's not what most people would consider really good execution.
post #12347 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 261
So I watched Abe Lincoln the Vampire Hunter last night. I must say my Wife and I enjoyed the movie very much and it was done quite well IMO. That aside I noticed I had to turn the volume up 8-10 db than I normally have it. And even then on top of that the bass was weak. I bought this on I think it was Baso's recent graph and opinions. But I was surprised at the low level of bass. It was like the standard 10db bump was not there. Anyway I turned up the sub trim 6db and it was great then. Has anyone else had the same experience with this movie? Did you have to turn up the trim to get nice bass? Once turned up it was very nice and had great extension and nice bass sweeps with certain actions on screen. I even threw in the demo disc and ran hulk on +3db but back down the 8-10 db on the MV and it was very authoritative. I am gonna recalibrate everything once my JTR Triple 8's are paid for and their upgrade kits from Jeff arrive smile.gif Supporting info would be I use PGM 2 on both Submersives, a 5db rising house curve from 100-30hz, and dynamic EQ

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #12348 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

jlpowell84,

I feel like your experience is abnormal. The levels on region 1 ALVH bluray are not problematic in any way. In fact, it measures out to be what I would consider better-than-average RMS level.

The likely culprit is something specific to your disc (incorrect playback format) or your system (midnight mode, etc.). Reinsert the disc and make sure your receiver is reading it all situation normal as 7.1 DTS-HD MA, and make sure there are no other settings surprises on your end.
post #12349 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Well, Toe, I suffered through After Earth and Getaway without absolutely hating them, so I'm sure I won't absolutely hate this one. I think I've seen a whole lot more bad films than good over the years, but I still watch 'em. smile.gif

As an aside, Getaway had a lot of flaws in the sound design & mix, with all that terribly unnecessary road noise. It has a ton of bass, but it's not really bass done well - a lot of it is misplaced and artificial-sounding. Some people don't care cuz they just want MOAR BAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! That's fine. smile.gif Not singling anyone out, just saying it's not what most people would consider really good execution.

Is After Earth worth it? I thought about getting it

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #12350 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 02:00 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Not sure why some people arnt getting the bass moments and some
are!?!.............Weird!

Nice to know that im not alone in liking it. looking forward to hearing more from everyone!
Also, there was an awesome flutter effect on the movie that either went down in frequency or up in öevel. Did anyone notice it? id love a graph...
post #12351 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
It's a terrible film. I don't think I've read a good review. Really really bad lol
post #12352 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

post #12353 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hear ya and agree. I am curious to see Getaway. I enjoy a good bass fest IF it feels appropriate for the film. Something like FA or DiT are total bass fests, but IMO it not only works but really adds to the experience considering how over the top and out there those kind of films are. A totally over the top LFE track for me is appropriate in those situations. Now put that kind of bass assault in something like Oblivion that is a much different type film and requires a more selective and refined type LFE track and it would feel out of place.

Speaking of bad movies, I watched The Mortal Instruments City of Bones last night and man, I had to FF to the parts that looked like they would have good sound/bass after struggling through the first ~45 minutes or so. This movie is clearly geared for teens and girls in particular. The lows were certainly there, but the sound design in general felt a bit dull to me and a bit front heavy as well. Mid and upper type bass felt a bit lacking at times as well which kept the low end portion of the track from being as full and convincing as it could have been. This is why something like IH is so damn good as the bass just feels so full across the board. I am sure I missed some good spots though since I was FF through a good chunk of it, so I cant give a totally fair assessment.

post #12354 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

jlpowell84,

I feel like your experience is abnormal. The levels on region 1 ALVH bluray are not problematic in any way. In fact, it measures out to be what I would consider better-than-average RMS level.

The likely culprit is something specific to your disc (incorrect playback format) or your system (midnight mode, etc.). Reinsert the disc and make sure your receiver is reading it all situation normal as 7.1 DTS-HD MA, and make sure there are no other settings surprises on your end.

Yea I told my wife I felt like something was different. But all settings are the same. Dynamic EQ is on, Mini DSP is outputting all my filters and low shelf correctly, Dynamic Volume is off, and Bass is already running hot. It was DTS HD MA...I am at a loss currently. But other stuff sounded normal as soon as I put it in, Lord of the rings, Huilk, and the WWZ grenade seen. I just had to turn up the sub trim significantly for the ALVH to sound like it should...
nube likes this.

My Setup Thread
post #12355 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Alright I'll rent it instead haha I heard it had good sound and visuals though
nube likes this.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #12356 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonNo10 View Post

What region is your disc mate?

Hey Simon,

I watched it at Macca's place...since I went there after the GTG yesterday. So not sure what region it was. But the ULF sweeps were brutally awesome!.
post #12357 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

So I watched Abe Lincoln the Vampire Hunter last night. I must say my Wife and I enjoyed the movie very much and it was done quite well IMO. That aside I noticed I had to turn the volume up 8-10 db than I normally have it. And even then on top of that the bass was weak. I bought this on I think it was Baso's recent graph and opinions. But I was surprised at the low level of bass. It was like the standard 10db bump was not there. Anyway I turned up the sub trim 6db and it was great then. Has anyone else had the same experience with this movie? Did you have to turn up the trim to get nice bass? Once turned up it was very nice and had great extension and nice bass sweeps with certain actions on screen. I even threw in the demo disc and ran hulk on +3db but back down the 8-10 db on the MV and it was very authoritative. I am gonna recalibrate everything once my JTR Triple 8's are paid for and their upgrade kits from Jeff arrive smile.gif Supporting info would be I use PGM 2 on both Submersives, a 5db rising house curve from 100-30hz, and dynamic EQ

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I enjoyed it too. The bass was a disappointment though. The trailer for it had the house rumbling. It's a shame that the bass wasn't the same in the movie.
post #12358 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

It's been a while since I've seen it, but I enjoyed it too. The bass was a disappointment though. The trailer for it had the house rumbling. It's a shame that the bass wasn't the same in the movie.

Well I felt the same way. I turned up 6 or 7db and then it was much nicer. Also the scene where Abe and his buddy went to the vampires plantation house was decent and his buddy, 'Speed' i think, came crashing in the house with his carriage thing was a nice sweep. But running flat was a bit disappointing. But Basso I think posted a graph that looked pretty good.

My Setup Thread
post #12359 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I just happen to be testing a new amplifier and ALVH was included, so I graphed this scene, which is in my top 5 of the best demo scenes from any flick:

Ref level, no bump. Either way, the low end in this movie is, as Nube says, above average. Certainly not anemic.

I also, as I've said a few times, like the movie all around the bases.

I'm sue there will be a scale to give a heads up on running the sub cold, flat or hot based on the level numbers from the digits guys. It makes a lot of sense and is just a matter of time, IMO.
post #12360 of 18948 Old 12-07-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I just finished Monsters University. Pretty disappointing in the bass department but good sound overall.

Kaboom.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page