The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 427 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #12781 of 17354 Old 12-27-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I tried house curves like the above example but found the sound to be boomy as the acoustics of our listening room did not like the curve. And if one were to say: "screw the room, how did you like it?" I'm ambivalent as yes the bass was great but after awhile, like too much chocolate cake, became overwhelming.
Running curves like these won't make the sub sound boomy, unless it already was and you just did not notice it as much at lower levels. If you sub sounds boomy, you need to address your room treatments, sub placement and finally your room correction software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

There's a big difference between running a house curve and running the subs waaaaay hot. cool.gif

The house curve is actually within a +/- 3dB spec, so, not a house curve. The rest is running the sub hot.

The graph below shows a typical 70 Hz cross with the red dashed lines representing a flat calibration and a +17dB hot SW calibration:

If a house curve is the subject, calibrate the subs flat (plus house curve) and post a max output curve with the mains on. That will show the actual house curve during playback. wink.gif

It's unlikely with the systems/rooms mentioned here that the mains will see 111dB peaks (L+R, as the sweep was measured) at reference level and the subs will peak north of 140dB <10 Hz, regardless of how many of what drivers in what space.
I want the bass to come on smothly. Running a sub 10-15db's hot means that you get a jump in the FR at the cross-over point of the sub. One of the reasons why I won't run the subs hot, but adjust the house curve to have a bigger difference from 100hz to 20hz. I rairly watch a movie @ reference in regards to the mains, but I do want to hear the bass @ reference, if that makes sense.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12782 of 17354 Old 12-27-2013, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageless83 View Post

Just incase u guys are interested Walmart has some of the 5 star and 4.5 star movies on sale online under $5 for local pickup or shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Any titles in particular?
Yep, A good day to die hard, master and commander, Xmen: first class, Mr and Mrs smith, Man on Fire

post #12783 of 17354 Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

So I guess I can assume that no-one has graphed this movie yet? I'm sure it's not 5 star but it's up there for sure. Anyone?

Not that I know of. I am curious to see both this and PE run through the paces at data-bass at some point hopefully. Neither are WotW or TIH level of course, but both bass tracks support the films VERY well and there is certainly nothing to complain about from an execution standpoint IMO.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #12784 of 17354 Old 12-27-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

So I guess I can assume that no-one has graphed this movie yet? I'm sure it's not 5 star but it's up there for sure. Anyone?

See below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Got a few for A Christmas Carol as well. The LFE is rather cool in this one, so there's not a lot to see.

Chair drag:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...falls/ACC1.jpg

Drunken room, just after the Christmas tree collapse:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...falls/ACC2.jpg

Horse snort:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...falls/ACC3.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken wu View Post

A Christmas Carol has its moments in bass though not many scenes (the speclab caps here)

Interestingly I noticed a brief moment of ultra low bass at the snow field hovering scene (00:32:38 ):

Reddig likes this.
post #12785 of 17354 Old 12-27-2013, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 View Post

So what is the general consensus on Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters? I watched the DVD last night and it seemed to have some pretty good LFE but didn't seem to go as low as the first one. I have a PB-13 Ultra FWIW.

I have both on BD and imo the 1st PJ blows the 2nd away!!
post #12786 of 17354 Old 12-27-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

+1. We watched this on Christmas and what a great audio track. Noticed Randy Thom in the credits which I had never noticed before. The 3d in this title is absolutely incredible as well! Those moments where it literally feels and looks like it is snowing in your room are insane! Great HT ride all around! cool.gif
I couldn't agree more! We watched it as well Christmas nite. Awesome ride it was! Audio and video. 3D is fantastic.
Toe likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #12787 of 17354 Old 12-27-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 152
Thanks Bunga for the post with the graph and info!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #12788 of 17354 Old 12-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 608
Wow. Sooo yeah, I've got twelve 18's running now. Watched some clips from Transformers 1. Wow! So awesome sounding.

Caught quite a transient during the end that I don't remember with my LLT's. It's after Megatron arrives in the city. He was coming out of an alleyway of sorts and blows away who I think was Jazz. I haven't watched the movie in a couple years, I forget. But anyway. Sure caught my attention!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #12789 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 05:37 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Hi

At this point, any disks we purchase on Amazon, even though used, are Blu-ray.

Hi BeeMan458

Thanks for your reply.

All the best

Rick.

post #12790 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 06:23 AM

Liked: 801
...biggrin.gif
post #12791 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 06:54 AM

Liked: 12

I watched Elysium last night. The soundtrack been put together very well and although besides being on the low side i couldn't help but feel that i was listening to a well recorded music CD with 8 channels. This is something i've also found to the case with other Sony Blu Ray releases too. Ultimately pleasant and nice. Come on Sony with Elysium and some of your other releases you've gone some way to offer Super Bit Mapping V which i appreciate. However Elysium is an action movie so please go the extra mile and also add some power and punch to liven up the soundtrack so as to give a cinematic feel of an action movie.

Thanks

Rick.

post #12792 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 07:09 AM

^

Interesting review. As you point out, the bass track draws the viewer, deep into the action of the movie.
post #12793 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 155

I watched Elysium a couple of days ago...

Now that is how ULF is done! :cool: I'd have to say that subjectively has to be one of the top ULF movies in regards to sheer quantity. Every scene where you'd expect to experience ULF was there in spades! This adds a certain realism to the movie that just doesn't exist with filtered movies. Period. This movie is a great example of that. I had a huge smile on my face every time it happened.

After watching, I went upstairs and bought it. Great addition to the ULF library.

post #12794 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Now that is how ULF is done! cool.gif  I'd have to say that subjectively has to be one of the top ULF movies in regards to sheer quantity.

You make an interesting point dominguez1. Allow me to ask, Rick27, what subwoofers are you using? The reason I ask, if they're not capable subwoofers, much of what's tracked, won't be reproduced and will give a skewed opinion, accordingly. Our system is good to 10/12Hz. Others here are good to <4Hz. And if you can't play the infrasonic, much of what is tracked is going be missed out on in the form of room rumble or tactile sensation, chair/floor vibration.

Just saying, as robust as our system is, the subwoofer system, in my opinion, barely qualifies as adequate.

...eek.gif
post #12795 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

I watched Elysium a couple of days ago...

Now that is how ULF is done! cool.gif I'd have to say that subjectively has to be one of the top ULF movies in regards to sheer quantity. Every scene where you'd expect to experience ULF was there in spades!

+1

I really liked the way the bass was used here. That being said, I do wish they had added a couple of extra DB's on a few of those scenes.
post #12796 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick27 View Post

I watched Elysium last night. The soundtrack been put together very well and although besides being on the low side i couldn't help but feel that i was listening to a well recorded music CD with 8 channels. This is something i've also found to the case with other Sony Blu Ray releases too. Ultimately pleasant and nice. Come on Sony with Elysium and some of your other releases you've gone some way to offer Super Bit Mapping V which i appreciate. However Elysium is an action movie so please go the extra mile and also add some power and punch to liven up the soundtrack so as to give a cinematic feel of an action movie.

Thanks

Rick.

I had to ad +3db to the sub trim to get the tactile feel. Over all the soundtrack was good. I watched at -15db. With my Klipsch speakers (I haven't rerun the EzSetEq from when I had my little SuperZeros) so -15db is like -5db with the SZs.

Anyway, the sound and picture were very good. Bass was there in spades and well done. Kind of like Oblivion.

As far a soundtracks go, we watched the two insidious movies on Thursday. I much preferred the overall soundtracks of these two movies even though they aren't "bass" movies. The sound was used very effectively.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #12797 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

One very cool movie: Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning. While the plot made no sense to me whatsoever, the fight scenes were some of the best I've ever seen. Some pretty good bass too. Forget the plot and just enjoy the ride.

This is decent action flick - really gritty and brutal -
watched this today
Have a few pints and enjoy it for what it is
Sound/video is excellent - nice punchy / dynamic track
with big soundstage

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #12798 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageless83 View Post

Just incase u guys are interested Walmart has some of the 5 star and 4.5 star movies on sale online under $5 for local pickup or shipped.

Oh man, Family Guy star wars trilogy? How did I miss this....

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #12799 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I watched Elysium last night and was actually kind of disappointed in the bass department. Maybe my subs don't go low enough to really enjoy ulf (although they hit 19hz with aplomb) - but I enjoyed Oblivion WAY more then Elysium in the sound department; as a matter of fact, I re-watched Star Trek into Darkness tonight and found the bass destroyed the bass on Elysium. I'm running dual PC12's with the bass about 2db hot. Funny that.

post #12800 of 17354 Old 12-28-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Just finished watching Man of Steel............what a fricken bass dud! AND, what a missed opportunity for a stellar soundtrack to accompany all that building smashing in the end. This could have been right up there with TIH if someone capable was at the helm.

VERY disappointed! mad.gif
audiofan1 likes this.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #12801 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 302
^ yes to have a master scorer paired with a mixing moron was a tragedy indeed
post #12802 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 12:17 AM

Liked: 55
I will be interested to see if Elysium is a dud for me with my dual Caps which roll off sharply about 17Hz. That said my favourite scenes would be, Percy Jackson LT: Fire Breathing Hydra's, Tron Legacy: Flying ship landing just after Sam Lasered, FOTP Plane scene too name a few. I suspect all these scenes above 20HZ but I also get a lot of enjoyment with most of the OHF content, TIH content, WOTW although the first alien foot stomp in this movie rates better for me than pod emergence just before it. Enjoying a beautiful glass of Provence Rose (French) whilst writing this hoping everybody having a holiday too!

Mains Klipsch KLF-30, Centre Klipsch KLF C-7, Surrounds Klipsch KG 5.5, Klipsch KG 4.2 (Crites titanium tweeters in all)
Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Sub Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #12803 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Just picked up Elysium and The Pacific today both in BD. I'm gonna watch Elysium tomorrow. And just run the subs hot at 4 with a small house curve. Wanna see what the quad S2's can do with this flick. The Pacific? Looks like this will be the New Year's Day flick. All day since it's over 8 hrs long. I was told in this thread that the bass in this movie is insane..
post #12804 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

^ yes to have a master scorer paired with a mixing moron was a tragedy indeed

I think you mean the sound designer? not the rerecording mixer?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #12805 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 02:42 AM

Just saying, "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" had decent bass but it was the absolute worst movie in recent cinematic history. If you don't want your mind haunted by bad action and a terrible acting, plot and premise, do yourself a favor and avoid this mind pollution.

(after the movie I wanted to stab my brain with forks to put me out of my pain)

The only ones who are safe to watch this movies will be anybody under the age of eight as they won't know any better.

I realize this thread is a thread about good bass but movies like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" should come with warnings:

"Good bass, absolutely terrible movie premise"
ambesolman and Torqdog like this.
post #12806 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Just saying, "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" had decent bass but it was the absolute worst movie in recent cinematic history. If you don't want your mind haunted by bad action and a terrible acting, plot and premise, do yourself a favor and avoid this mind pollution.

(after the movie I wanted to stab my brain with forks to put me out of my pain)

The only ones who are safe to watch this movies will be anybody under the age of eight as they won't know any better.

I realize this thread is a thread about good bass but movies like "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" should come with warnings:

"Good bass, absolutely terrible movie premise"

I thought The Lone Ranger was horrible.
post #12807 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 AM

Thanks. I purchased "Sky Captain" off the bass list and had no idea. My wife and I did have something to talk about after the movie. Is the "Lone Ranger" the same type of movie? Good bass, terrible movie?

UPS should deliver "Hurt Locker" today. "Act of Valor" and "Black Hawk Down" are in the hands of the USPS and be here sometime in a week or so.
post #12808 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Spun Dead in Tombstone last night..............great picture and a ton of great bass. Also watched Hotel Transylvania in 3D.......3D was so-so but the soundtrack didn't match the visuals.....good opportunity missed imho.....not just for bass but the entire sound design could have been great.

-Kevin

Epson 5020UB 1080p 3LCD projector

Screen Innovations Black Diamond Zero Edge 1.4 110" 16:9

Marantz AV8801 pre/pro

Wyred4Sound 5-channel amp

Oppo BDP-105

Darbee Darblet

JTR 3TX LCRs

JTR Single8 HT-LP surrounds

twin JTR Orbit Shifter LF subwoofers

GIK Acoustic room treatments

post #12809 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 07:12 AM

"Dead in Tombstone" At the right used price on Amazon, I may add this one to the cart.
post #12810 of 17354 Old 12-29-2013, 08:54 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I watched Dark City on blu ray last night ( I think I remember reading they amped up the bass/surrounds for the blu mix compared to the dvd mix when they released this?) and I had forgot how insane the bass was in that ~10 minutes of the big final battle toward the end! eek.gif Not the deepest or most artistic use of bass (but very effective in light of the scene), but the pure power and duration shocked me! I would be curious to see this track graphed at db or at least this ~10 minutes toward the end. I quite literally felt blown away! tongue.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page