The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 436 - AVS Forum
First ... 434  435  436 437  438  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 07:00 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

All I know is that movies in my room are friggen awesome (at least to me).

Tell me about it ! My experience at home can make a theater blush tongue.gif plenty of clean and out right shocking at times midbass kick with the lows not present at the theater cool.gif

Torqdog's Avatar Torqdog 07:24 PM 01-08-2014
The local theater here is about 5 years old and is supposed to be state of the art for a non I-Max type cinema. Never the less, the kids who run the movies seem to either be deaf or just like to crank it to the point of distortion. It's rare that we ever go just because of this and I am one who also says the sound in my HT far surpasses our local, all digital theater.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater 09:36 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Tell me about it ! My experience at home can make a theater blush tongue.gif plenty of clean and out right shocking at times midbass kick with the lows not present at the theater cool.gif

My experience as well. I won't waste the money on a theater any more. 

stitch1's Avatar stitch1 09:55 PM 01-08-2014
We just watched Pacific Rim tonight. I know I know I'm a bit late to the party. But wow thats a really hot LFE channel! I thought it was pretty good for what it is. I mean this in the best way possible, but its a big dumb summer blockbuster flick. However, I would take that over transformers any day.
jlpowell84's Avatar jlpowell84 10:43 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:

Bill, Oblivion was friggin awesome to me in your room. The surround effects with 7 channel JTR processed by an 80.3 powered by your multi channel Onkyo amp supplemented with Seaton Submersives was freaked AMAZING! Oh yea, the fully GIK treated room and 80+ inch tv 8 ft in front of you helped too smile.gif
Blackmambakila's Avatar Blackmambakila 10:54 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:

Lot has to do with the mix as well Nearfield vs. Theatrical and while that theatrical gut wrenching crisp kick that the large venue has due to sheer volume and good gain, its almost what seems to be hard to compress the room with sound. If you like that sound ( which I happen to love as well wink.gif) Prepare yourself for this, which will give you new respect for your gear if and only if it pulls it off biggrin.gif

Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBhrABi392c

I love playing clips like that, its actually my favorite way to compare improvements in gear and see how close I can get my setup to sound similar to a theater.
Blackmambakila's Avatar Blackmambakila 10:55 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:

And that's all that matters!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Blackmambakila's Avatar Blackmambakila 10:57 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:

Hey, isn't it awesome to be able to stop the movie when you want, snack breaks, crank up the volume, not have to worry about people kicking your seat, not having to dress up and just being able to look like a bum all while enjoying the show at home!!!!!! biggrin.gif
Blackmambakila's Avatar Blackmambakila 11:01 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

The local theater here is about 5 years old and is supposed to be state of the art for a non I-Max type cinema. Never the less, the kids who run the movies seem to either be deaf or just like to crank it to the point of distortion. It's rare that we ever go just because of this and I am one who also says the sound in my HT far surpasses our local, all digital theater.

Yeah this is a good point. It seems to matter on where a person lives and what their theaters have to offer. some of these cheaply made theaters pretty much ruin movies and only some people are lucky enough to have the good theaters such as if one lives in a large city. Where I live we have terrible theater choice, hence the reason I decked out my room! smile.gif
Blackmambakila's Avatar Blackmambakila 11:03 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post

We just watched Pacific Rim tonight. I know I know I'm a bit late to the party. But wow thats a really hot LFE channel! I thought it was pretty good for what it is. I mean this in the best way possible, but its a big dumb summer blockbuster flick. However, I would take that over transformers any day.

Yeah its a fun movie to watch. Wait till the new Godzilla comes out, hope it turns out good! cool.gif
Blackmambakila's Avatar Blackmambakila 11:04 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Bill, Oblivion was friggin awesome to me in your room. The surround effects with 7 channel JTR processed by an 80.3 powered by your multi channel Onkyo amp supplemented with Seaton Submersives was freaked AMAZING! Oh yea, the fully GIK treated room and 80+ inch tv 8 ft in front of you helped too smile.gif

Lucky!!!!!!! tongue.gif
pokekevin's Avatar pokekevin 11:17 PM 01-08-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

In my area, the best sounding and looking theater is actually the 4 dollar tuesday and thursday theater. While its a small screen, the volume and 3D just seems great compared to every where else.
AJ72's Avatar AJ72 05:14 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

Hey, isn't it awesome to be able to stop the movie when you want, snack breaks, crank up the volume, not have to worry about people kicking your seat, not having to dress up and just being able to look like a bum all while enjoying the show at home!!!!!! biggrin.gif

Yes its fantastic but the popcorn machine cost a fortune.
Fatshaft's Avatar Fatshaft 06:07 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmambakila View Post

+1000 biggrin.gif
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 06:41 AM 01-09-2014
I recently got to view The Incredible Hulk BD a few days ago and man my sub got a work out! I take it the gunshots and sonic wave blaster are the LFE standouts in the film?
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 06:43 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I recently got to view The Incredible Hulk BD a few days ago and man my sub got a work out! I take it the gunshots and sonic wave blaster are the LFE standouts in the film?

the final fight is the real crown jewel
BornSlippyZ's Avatar BornSlippyZ 06:56 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

the final fight is the real crown jewel
I did noticed that the bass was good in the fight, but I already turned down my volume because it was waking the kids up from nap. I will try out that scene again.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 09:05 AM 01-09-2014
OK, when I see people posting about how their setup is better than the cinema I always want to know what their speakers are because as Maxmercy mentioned beating that awesome mid bass punch is not easy. Low bass is easy for us with small rooms. I know because I have tried real cinema stuff and again the mid bass is exceptional.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 09:10 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I know because I have tried real cinema stuff and again the mid bass is exceptional.

What would you suggest be added?

Currently we have two FV15HPs, one set nearfield. Besides a third FV15HP, what would you suggest be added to improve on mid-bass punch?
Blackmambakila's Avatar Blackmambakila 09:32 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:

OK, when I see people posting about how their setup is better than the cinema I always want to know what their speakers are because as Maxmercy mentioned beating that awesome mid bass punch is not easy. Low bass is easy for us with small rooms. I know because I have tried real cinema stuff and again the mid bass is exceptional.

Not to sound dumb but what kind of output would one have to achieve from the listening area in the midbass range to match or beat a standard theater?
Toe's Avatar Toe 10:49 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:

What region are we talking exactly as far as mid bass? I know what you guys are talking about as I have experienced this many times at certain concert venues in particular, but not so much at a movie theater. I probably have just not been to a theater with a good enough audio system I suppose.

Personally, I have never been to a commercial theater that even comes close to the OVERALL audio experience I get at home. Being able to sit right in your sweet spot with all speakers hitting at the exact same volume, perfect surround placement (vs in a theater where surrounds are commonly non only to the side, but in front of you as well) and speaker placement overall relative to the sweet spot for perfect front/back, side/side (both front and back) pans, stereo imaging and so on........Lots of these type effects seem lost in a huge open room that tries to accommodate many people vs being able to dial your audio into a single spot or smaller area at home. Of course low bass performance is better at home and if you have a well implemented BK, Crowson or other tactile system it just adds even further. I also like being able to run a house curve at home which you don't get at a commercial theater. Audio at home is just much more intimate, intense and involving from my experience overall.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 11:10 AM 01-09-2014
I am talking 80-200hz like Maxmercy was referencing. SPL is SPL but with very capable 15's the sound is clean and a bigger presentation, the sound stage from those big JBL cinema speakers is enormous and makes any room sound like a huge cinema. This has to due to the huge area of cone and sensitivity. I have owned many capable systems and speakers that can hit reference at my seats. The better the midbass the better the theater experience. Just ask Scott what he thinks now! When big musical scores hit the difference in speakers become obvious and my subs are the same. It is not the sub system required for this area. I have always thought about a few things for a balanced HT.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater 11:15 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

That does sound awesome. Very awesome. :)

Blackmambakila's Avatar Blackmambakila 11:59 AM 01-09-2014
Quote:

I am talking 80-200hz like Maxmercy was referencing. SPL is SPL but with very capable 15's the sound is clean and a bigger presentation, the sound stage from those big JBL cinema speakers is enormous and makes any room sound like a huge cinema. This has to due to the huge area of cone and sensitivity. I have owned many capable systems and speakers that can hit reference at my seats. The better the midbass the better the theater experience. Just ask Scott what he thinks now! When big musical scores hit the difference in speakers become obvious and my subs are the same. It is not the sub system required for this area. I have always thought about a few things for a balanced HT.

From 20hz-80hz im probably getting atleast the same feeling as a theater but above that id def be lacking. I wasnt even thinking above the range you suggested. It would be hard to duplicate that until I maybe switch to some JTRs smile.gif
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1 12:36 PM 01-09-2014
Quote:

These are largely the sound traits of horn loaded speakers ! It's hard to beat their efficiency at overall spl but there for me its much more than that ( and while some horns excel at music and movie reproduction and some I like more than others, I'm not a fan of the cupped hand sound which is a distraction for me from natural timber) some feel so called audiophile designed speakers will not excel in this arena ( healthy output helps) which I wholeheartedly disagree! brass is brass and strings are strings drums are drums and so on, if your speakers excel at music reproduction they should excel with recreated sound effects the music score and dialog. Two good examples of handling such complexity in my opinion are "Tron Legacy" & "Oblivion" as they are fine examples of room filling energy and mid bass punch with a music score to die for and an overall good test of system fidelity. For me the same rules apply not just loud but as close to being real (were talking effects here) as possible.
raynist's Avatar raynist 01:16 PM 01-09-2014
So it sounds like for the mid bass slam you need great output in the 80-200 range. Most subs are crossed over at 80 and are not contributing which leaves this range to the other speakers, most of which have smaller drivers.

I have 3 PSA triax's in my 3700 cubic foot room crossed over at 80hz. My mains are EmpTek 55Ti towers with 3x6.5 drivers each, the center has 2 of these drivers and all of the surrounds (4 in total) have 5.25 inch drivers. Would the lack of displacement from these drivers cause a lack of slam? In a case like this would it be better to raise the crossover on my subs to 120hz? Ultimately it would be great to go with much larger and much more efficient mains/center but that can' happen right now. I do plan on making a AT screen sometime in the future which would allow for larger speakers.

I may play around with my crossover to see how I like it and try the aforementioned transformer scene to see how it sounds vs my 80hz crossover. What are some other great mid-bass scenes (maybe a different thread smile.gif)?

One of my subs is in the left front under my screen and the other 2 are behind the main seating position.

--Ray
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 01:27 PM 01-09-2014
Does anybody have any suggestions on how to increase mid-bass slam?

(if it's been mentioned, I've missed it)

We have very capable subs and speakers. Our mains consist of two ea (10" woofers) in each enclosure. The center channel has four ea (6.5") woofers.

What can one do to increase mid-bass slam, but not mess with the EQ of the sound system.....or is that not possible?
craig john's Avatar craig john 01:38 PM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to increase mid-bass slam?

(if it's been mentioned, I've missed it)

We have very capable subs and speakers. Our mains consist of two ea (10" woofers) in each enclosure. The center channel has four ea (6.5") woofers.

What can one do to increase mid-bass slam, but not mess with the EQ of the sound system.....or is that not possible?
If your receiver has "tone controls", try turning up the "Bass" tone control. Bass Tone Controls usually only work in the midbass area, from about 40 Hz to 200- 300 Hz.

Craig
Toe's Avatar Toe 01:40 PM 01-09-2014
Quote:

80-200hz I could definitely use some improvement as my S38s can only do so much. Better mains, center and surrounds are on my upgrade list at some point.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 01:41 PM 01-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

If your receiver has "tone controls", try turning up the "Bass" tone control. Bass Tone Controls usually only work in the midbass area, from about 40 Hz to 200- 300 Hz.

Thanks. Don't know if there are tone controls as I'm in the process of upgrading to a recently arrived Denon 4520CI and haven't looked at the manual yet.

(breaking the system down, moving shelves, labeling cables......the normal)

-
Tags: The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
First ... 434  435  436 437  438  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop