The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 439 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13141 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

Dave...

You've always taken the position that us mixers, the creators of said data on the disc, are all in the way of getting you what think you deserve.

You constantly act like our entire industry is a bunch of incompetents, who don't know how to build rooms, don't understand acoustics, etc... and are constantly getting in our own way.

In the end, without us, and our subjective input, our "flawed" hearing, our interaction with directors and our talent, there would be no reason to even have these threads.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but IMO, you've so far off base I've nothing to add.

FM,

Thanks for letting me know what I've always done. smile.gif

You questioned Dave's assertion that his HT audio system is better than a cinema:
Quote:
So you're saying that your setup is better than a mixing theater?

In what ways? What is your setup and how was the room built? How is the room treated and how is it tuned? How much head room do you have listening at reference?

Of course, those of us who've followed Dave's build know that he's correct with no debate required. He has more bandwidth, more headroom and can listen at far greater levels with extremely low non-linearities at his seat than in any theater you can name, bar none.

You obviously did not know that but took his simple statement of fact in a defensive manner and called him out in what I feel was a condescending fashion. You've always taken the position that us enthusiasts are a bunch of incompetents who don't know how to build rooms, don't understand acoustics, don't have a clue about pro sound systems or pretty much anything, especially anyone who questions anything you post.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion as well, but I also believe you are far off base, as Dave proved in his own case.

Staying on your point, you said that every audiophile should strive to hear what you heard on your sound stage. I'll ask again, how may any of us possibly know what you heard on the sound stage?
nube likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13142 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Bossobass....Congratulations, what you essentially just described is the THX standard / philosophy. I'm with FilmMixer on this one - Even without THX certification, the mixers are trying to achieve a reference standard of how the film should sound to achieve THE DIRECTOR'S vision, plain and simple. Video imaging is manipulated all the time to achieve the director's vision, so why not audio? Do you complain about how "green" The Matrix movie looks? How much shadow and gloom Peter Jackson added to scenes in the Lord of the Rings movies? If you do, you're not getting the point.

To Nube's point, there are certainly differences in talent and experience doing anything in life, just not mixing films. But in the end, the final product is what the customer (i.e. the director, movie studio, producers, etc.) want out of their final product.

As long as you have the hardware to see it as it was encoded on the disc, the picture manipulation is what it is subjective and not relevant to the point brought up by FM., that every audiophile should strive to hear what he heard on his sound stage.

Again, how does one know what the mixers heard? I said the answer to that Q is to have a wide BW, flat response with headroom above reference level. Do you have an alternative solution?
nube likes this.
post #13143 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

FM,

Thanks for letting me know what I've always done. smile.gif

You questioned Dave's assertion that his HT audio system is better than a cinema:
Of course, those of us who've followed Dave's build know that he's correct with no debate required. He has more bandwidth, more headroom and can listen at far greater levels with extremely low non-linearities at his seat than in any theater you can name, bar none.

You obviously did not know that but took his simple statement of fact in a defensive manner and called him out in what I feel was a condescending fashion. You've always taken the position that us enthusiasts are a bunch of incompetents who don't know how to build rooms, don't understand acoustics, don't have a clue about pro sound systems or pretty much anything, especially anyone who questions anything you post.

Of course, you're entitled to your opinion as well, but I also believe you are far off base, as Dave proved in his own case.

Dave.. please don't tell me that I was condescending to JD.. he didn't take it that way, and I appreciated his response, and the effort (both financially and enthusiastically) that he put into his room... he certainly didn't take offense that I know of..

You can't compare his room to a commercial cinema because of it's size... you know as well as I do that large room low frequency reproduction is a much different animal than a 22 x 15 foot room. He understood the distinction I was making, and I really was curious about what he had in his room...

After looking at it, it certainly rivals the best screening rooms, and some studios, I've been in (and that's what I would compare it to...) I would certainly hope so as he spent as much as most of those places have..

Again, your tone gives off an air of superiority about the way things should be that I don't happen to agree with,or find that appealing at all...

Every time I post, you reply in a contrary manner.... in the end, I get paid to do what I do, and have been able to make a 26 year career out of it. There is a reason for it, regardless of my gaps in knowledge in certain areas...

I get it.... as a sound community, we don't measure properly, we don't monitor properly, we're all over the map, etc....

It's amazing any film comes out that sounds decent at all.. rolleyes.gif

As I stated earlier, I'm much more concerned with how a soundtrack helps tell the story, and use my ears and experience rather relying on plots, graphs and charts to tell me what sounds good...

"Riddick" doesn't have any ULF... however, I think I did pretty good with the other 20,000 frequencies at my disposal.

I know, I know.. this is the bass thread... and again, as I said earlier, I'm not overly concerned with ULF... I have a bigger picture in mind.
Quote:
Staying on your point, you said that every audiophile should strive to hear what you heard on your sound stage. I'll ask again, how may any of us possibly know what you heard on the sound stage

You know what our specs are for film production, and can strive to match that...

We mix a film, and then take it out into the world to be shared.... while you can't of course change certain things in any given venue (RT, wall surfaces, sub capability, rake, etc) we have found that in a vast majority of cases, a vast majority of the time, we get close enough so that everyone is happy that what we are hearing is representative of what we did on the dub stage.

After almost 120 films as a mixer, I can tell you that in hearing my work in many different environments. translation isn't as big of an issue as you make it out to be...

Best to you.. no more from me.
post #13144 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Reading about JapanDaves theater makes me want to pack up my toys and go home.

Color me impressed!!
post #13145 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

Reading about JapanDaves theater makes me want to pack up my toys and go home.

Color me impressed!!

Yeah, but that would be like comparing a super yacht to your bass boat or your living room to the living room of the super rich......not realistic.

And yes, I would love to have a super "living room" Home Theater system as in our case, a living room system will get more use and my wife and I will share more time together.

(currently setting up our Denon 4520ci as I deal with allergies.......ohhhhhh)

(the blu-ray player gives off sound but the television is quiet)

...rolleyes.gif..

And then the allergies kicked in so I'm vacillating between the computer and the recliner.....I knew it.

...tongue.gif

(no idea yet on REW measurements)
post #13146 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post

I am thinking that someone could use one with each front speaker (L/C/R). It looks like these have high level inputs so you could run the speaker wire from the AVR for each front channel to a mid bass module and then from the MBM to each front speaker. Is there a down side to doing this?

It seems this would simplify the integration with the rest of the system as you would really just be adding a 12 inch powerd driver to each front channel and not having to split your LFE signal or worry about phase or distance (if they are right next to the LCR speakers). Would this work or am I totally off with my thinking? I could add three of these for the cost of one JTR 228 L/C/R (which I know have other obvious advantages over my front three speakers)

Thanks
Ray
You could do this, the downside is that your main speakers would have to share the same low frequency cut off as the MBM. In other words to maximize the benefit of the MBM let's say its range is 50hz to 150hz, now your Mains will also have to play down to 50hz which they might have issue with and either bottom out or distort. So you'd get the added midbass contribution-win, but now your Mains could take a hit-loss. Just depends on the scenario.
post #13147 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 345
I think these will solve the rest of our problems...
"You'll hear better separation of sounds and instruments, with less low-level masking."

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tweaks-parade-audio-announces-our-new-carbon-fiber-outlet-cover-2014-01-10-accessories-60060
post #13148 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffin View Post

The Regal Continental near Hampden and I-25 has Dolby ATMOS in their large theater room. Not all movies are encoded for ATMOS, so you have look at the movie listings carefully. My wife and I saw Gravity there and it sounded very good to me. The IMAX near I-25 and Colorado is also very good.

Thanks Raffin! smile.gif I live just a few miles from the IMAX near I-25 and Colorado and have seen maybe a handful of movies there over the years which my comments were partly based on.

I have not experienced ATMOS though and will definitely check out the Hampden and I-25 theater which is also right near me. Thanks for the recs!

Quote:

There is a 9 channel bed (7.1 plus two overhead arrays.).

Up to 62 discrete outputs from the processor.

(For example out two ATMOS stages are 54 channel setups).

Add 118 objects to the bed.

Thanks FM. I am going to check out an ATMOS presentation next time I make it out to the movies at the theater recommended to me above.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #13149 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
FilmMixer,

Do you ever think of me when your layin it down?
Scott Simonian and nube like this.

post #13150 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

FilmMixer,

I would sneak in stuff if that were my job. Then I would probably get fired .... wow that fantasy didn't last long.
eljaycanuck and popalock like this.
post #13151 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Boy did I start a big fire or what!

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #13152 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:

Eeeyew.
post #13153 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FilmMixer,

The pipe? I hope not!😜
post #13154 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

FilmMixer,

W.T.H ??? That sentence must have not been worded correctly ??confused.gif

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #13155 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

Boy did I start a big fire or what!

It's all good , but more like an inferno !!!!biggrin.gif

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #13156 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Lol Lol lol Popalock awful vulnerable with that post of yours.
post #13157 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

audiofan1 likes this.
post #13158 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:

FilmMixer,

Umm…. Interesting. I know this can't mean what it sounds like it means. 

post #13159 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

FilmMixer,

I'm not sure what's going on in this thread but I'm going to just slowly back out of here. No one move!

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #13160 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:

FilmMixer,

Maybe he meant that as a PM........ ;) 

Messin' with ya pop. :D

post #13161 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

I'm not sure what's going on in this thread but I'm going to just slowly back out of here. No one move!

LOL

...tongue.gif

Still chuckling.

...tongue.gif
post #13162 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post

LOL. That's funny.

post #13163 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 102
Quote:

FilmMixer,

Could this be our first official Bass thread bromance? lol
audiofan1 likes this.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #13164 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 351
Uh oh. This just went naval.
post #13165 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Laying down a track?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #13166 of 17632 Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Dave...

You've always taken the position that us mixers, the creators of said data on the disc, are all in the way of getting you what think you deserve.

You constantly act like our entire industry is a bunch of incompetents, who don't know how to build rooms, don't understand acoustics, etc... and are constantly getting in our own way.

In the end, without us, and our subjective input, our "flawed" hearing, our interaction with directors and our talent, there would be no reason to even have these threads.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but IMO, you've so far off base I've nothing to add.

Marc,

You have to remember that you are on a thread where some folks believe that adding more ULF makes you a more "competent" mixer.confused.gif

Odd eh lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #13167 of 17632 Old 01-11-2014, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What contributes to the mid bass punch? Subwoofer of speaker?
Example:
12" subwoofer + speaker with 12" drivers. XO at 80Hz.
vs
15" subwoofer + speaker with 6" drivers. XO at 100Hz.
post #13168 of 17632 Old 01-11-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Marc,

You have to remember that you are on a thread where some folks believe that adding more ULF makes you a more "competent" mixer.confused.gif

Odd eh lol

lol, odd indeed...

Quote:
Randy Thom started his career in radio and music recording before making the transition to film in 1975, when he was hired on Apocalypse Now (1979) as a sound effects recordist. Since then, Thom has worked in a wide variety of creative capacities within the sound department in over seventy five films. For example, in addition to being the music mixer on Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi (1983), Thom was also the production sound mixer for all the footage shot in the US. Since 1983, Thom has been on staff as a sound designer and mixer at Lucasfilm's Skywalker Sound facility. He is part of a small group of sound designers that are following in Walter Murch and Ben Burtt's footsteps in the continuing work of turning motion picture sound into an art form and not simply a series of technical processes. His work on a film often begins before the film has started shooting, and becomes an integral part of the storytelling and emotional impact of the film. Randy Thom has been part of Robert Zemeckis' core creative team ever since Forrest Gump (1994). Through his career Thom has worked with such top Hollywood talents as Walter Murch, Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Brad Bird, Tim Burton, Chris Columbus, Mel Brooks and the Farrelly Brothers. Thom has received two Academy Awards for sound, The Right Stuff (1983), and Incredibles, The (2004)_. He has fourteen Oscar nominations.
post #13169 of 17632 Old 01-11-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Laying down a track?

uh huh!

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #13170 of 17632 Old 01-11-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

FilmMixer,

FM has said he personally didn't add a highpass on Riddick, so if the sound designers added some ULF to some effects, he didn't take it out. He may not know it is there during the process due to monitoring capabilities, though.

Some sound designers have to be aware of the ULF that is there, though, and FM has alluded to that in the past.

I am all for full bandwidth, highly dynamic soundtracks, especially when they add so much to a great film.

JSS
Scott Simonian and nube like this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page