The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 445 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #13321 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

sweet - fun night - let er rip
if you have not already check out Ninja Assassin Blu-ray from few years back with Joon Lee had a wicked mix

I actually have Ninja Assassin back in my que to watch again as I was also impressed with the mix years ago. smile.gif Looking forward to revisiting that one at some point soon.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13322 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I know its not protocol and somebody may ban me from this thread after I confess that..... I had to actually turn the bass down whilst watching Underworld Awakenings last night! But wait it was at the request of my wife who HATES bass as she was watching also. I did notice before the bass reduction was performed that it was a pretty hot sounding mix and awesome bass. Will have to revisit this one when I'm watching alone. I put on Iron Man just after it but although the bass track isn't bad I find the audio terrible on this movie. Everything sounds muffled to me and it lacks clarity. If Oblivion is the benchmark then Iron Man is at the other end of the scale IMO.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #13323 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

I know its not protocol and somebody may ban me from this thread after I confess that..... I had to actually turn the bass down whilst watching Underworld Awakenings last night!.

Blasphemer!!!!!

Ban him now!!!biggrin.gif

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
Screen: 120" Elite fixed frame
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR809
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 2
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
Sonos-Play 5 and Play 3
Sony Playstation 4
Microsoft Xbox One
post #13324 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Did he actually type that on THIS thread?

I think I need new glasses.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #13325 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Just for that. I'm turning my sub up 6db
Mongo171 likes this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13326 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
I put on Iron Man just after it but although the bass track isn't bad I find the audio terrible on this movie. Everything sounds muffled to me and it lacks clarity. If Oblivion is the benchmark then Iron Man is at the other end of the scale IMO.

I'm glad you posted that about Iron Man. I noticed the exact same thing and was beginning to worry about my center channel. Someone must have been stoned while holding the boom mic for that movie. Oblivion on the other hand… crystal clear and exhilarating detail. 

post #13327 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I know its not protocol and somebody may ban me from this thread after I confess that..... I had to actually turn the bass down whilst watching Underworld Awakenings last night! But wait it was at the request of my wife who HATES bass as she was watching also. I did notice before the bass reduction was performed that it was a pretty hot sounding mix and awesome bass. Will have to revisit this one when I'm watching alone. I put on Iron Man just after it but although the bass track isn't bad I find the audio terrible on this movie. Everything sounds muffled to me and it lacks clarity. If Oblivion is the benchmark then Iron Man is at the other end of the scale IMO.

Iron Man 1?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #13328 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just watched the new Riddick, curious to see what everyone thinks. I thought it was a great movie with excellent range. Some nice bass, not over the top but had some moments in my opinion. Only time I can stand Vin lol.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #13329 of 18043 Old 01-16-2014, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

It wasn't terrible. But you can definitly tell it's an older movie. I just don't like the sound of older movies that's all.

No worries

I just finished this move yesterday. Bass was nothing special, but I really liked the movie.

3 - JTR 228's LCR (game room)
2 - DIY Sound Group V-8 Coaxials (game room)
4 - PSA Triax's (game room)
2 - SVS SB13+'s (living room)
1 - SVS SB12-NSD (bedroom)
post #13330 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Iron Man 1?

Yes Iron Man one. I find the sound stage very closed in almost claustrophobic on this film, imaging not great. I have to boost the centre channel at least double what I normally have it (blu ray copy BTW). If Iron Man is claustrophobic Oblivion is like being immersed in an open 3D audio world where detail, depth and precision is present in spades. Its like you can never play Oblivion too loud as it sounds so pure.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
post #13331 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1437 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:

Are you aware that Iron Man is one of the few TrueHD discs which automatically engages Night Mode in certain Onkyo units (and possibly others too)?  Night Mode totally neuters the soundtrack.  To switch it off (on an Onk anyway) you have to hit the Home button on the remote, select Audio and then scroll  through to Night Mode, which you will see is set to Auto (in which case the flag on Iron Man's BD disc turns the darn thing on). Set it to off and then have another listen.

The bad news is that the unit defaults to Auto on power-up, so any disc that has the flag set will engage Night Mode. The good news is that there are very few discs where the makers were stupid enough to set the flag. I even suspect it was a mistake.

Anyway, check to see if it's the case with you. IME Iron Man has an excellent soundtrack.

Bunga99 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13332 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 04:12 AM

Will check this out! I mean its so bad I kind of wondered if something was wrong as a few other people say that Iron man is their go to disk for demo material. Will report back the findings.

post #13333 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Wonder if that is the same with the scenes from the ultimate bass demo disc

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
post #13334 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 04:40 AM

Quote:

Will check this out! I mean its so bad I kind of wondered if something was wrong as a few other people say that Iron man is their go to disk for demo material. Will report back the findings.

Okay so its not anything to do with a night setting for me and its not the worst sounding movie but on my system it doesn't do it for me. The bass however is pretty good.

post #13335 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Okay so its not anything to do with a night setting for me and its not the worst sounding movie but on my system it doesn't do it for me. The bass however is pretty good.

That's odd then, if it isn't Night Mode enabled. There isn’t any way that the sound I hear on Iron Man could be described as 'muffled' or 'lacking in clarity'. 

Which AVR do you have?

post #13336 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Quote:

Are you aware that Iron Man is one of the few TrueHD discs which automatically engages Night Mode in certain Onkyo units (and possibly others too)?  Night Mode totally neuters the soundtrack.  To switch it off (on an Onk anyway) you have to hit the Home button on the remote, select Audio and then scroll  through to Night Mode, which you will see is set to Auto (in which case the flag on Iron Man's BD disc turns the darn thing on). Set it to off and then have another listen.

The bad news is that the unit defaults to Auto on power-up, so any disc that has the flag set will engage Night Mode. The good news is that there are very few discs where the makers were stupid enough to set the flag. I even suspect it was a mistake.

Anyway, check to see if it's the case with you. IME Iron Man has an excellent soundtrack.

Same problem with me the first time I watched it with my Denon 3808ci. Fortunately for me it stay's off so I don't have to mess with it every time I turn on my receiver. I agree, Iron Man does have an excellent soundtrack.
post #13337 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Same problem with me the first time I watched it with my Denon 3808ci. Fortunately for me it stay's off so I don't have to mess with it every time I turn on my receiver. I agree, Iron Man does have an excellent soundtrack.

Yes the problem with Onkyos is that the crackpot setting reverts to Auto every time the unit is powered on and it can't be configured in any other way. This means that every time I play a new TrueHD disc I have to go into the Home menu, select audio and switch the Late Night mode to OFF. It's not the end of the world but it would be a lot better if Onkyo had allowed this setting to remain 'sticky'.

IDK what AJ72's issue with the Iron Man soundtrack is if it isn't Night Mode being enabled behind his back. It should definitely not sound muffled or unclear. In fact, it should be one of his better overall sounding tracks IMO.

post #13338 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I watched this last night. Loved the bass, but that was one bad and boring movie otherwise.
post #13339 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Watched Ninja II on Netflix. The bass was impressive, the acting...not so much. Some parts were so cliche we couldn't help but laugh.
post #13340 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Whoever mentioned that Ninja 2 was reference quality for PQ wasn't lying! What an outstanding transfer. Really. As far as the bass, it was really good. I thought the last Universal Soldier starring the same headlining actor from Ninja had much better low end.
post #13341 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

it was measured over at D-B:

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/?p=2385

My first HT build thread
post #13342 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

My Onkyo engages Night Mode (or whatever it's called on the 818) with seemingly all non-DTS soundtracks - most annoying!!

I'm not sure if they fixed it with a firmware update or not but I'm loathe to update when the rest of it is working well. If it ain't broke...
post #13343 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:

That's odd then, if it isn't Night Mode enabled. There isn’t any way that the sound I hear on Iron Man could be described as 'muffled' or 'lacking in clarity'. 

Which AVR do you have?

I have the Rotel Rsp 1570 preamp. I have a fairly broad selection of movies and a contributing factor may be because Iron Mans audio seems on the quieter side to me so I increase the volume to compensate but just feel the track is nothing special compared to many other movies I own. Lastly on IM, I agree with the bass rating for this movie at the beginning of the thread and enjoy that aspect of the film.

post #13344 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post

Quote:

My Onkyo engages Night Mode (or whatever it's called on the 818) with seemingly all non-DTS soundtracks - most annoying!!

I'm not sure if they fixed it with a firmware update or not but I'm loathe to update when the rest of it is working well. If it ain't broke...

I don't think they will fix it. I think it is meant to work that way. As you say, it doesn't affect DTS-HD MA at all and they are in the majority on BD. 

post #13345 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Which DSP mode do you guys use for movies? I use THX Cinema on a 7.2 setup.

Should I be using other modes?

post #13346 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

I use analog - direct mode. DSP stands for Doesn't Setup Properly. Too many people have AVR'S that give them problems setting up.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #13347 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 11:57 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpitz View Post

I usually upmix all my 5.1 content to 7/9.1 with Dolby Prologic 2x/z and 7.1 content I just let run native or upmix to 9.1 audio with front heights. Every once in a while I will enable a THX mode but not very often.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #13348 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Whoever mentioned that Ninja 2 was reference quality for PQ wasn't lying! What an outstanding transfer. Really. As far as the bass, it was really good. I thought the last Universal Soldier starring the same headlining actor from Ninja had much better low end.

I made a reference to Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning few weeks back
a lot of fun super gritty/raw action flick - I remember audio being really good but not nearly as powerful as Ninja but both worth a viewing for sure.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #13349 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post

I made a reference to Universal Soldier Day of Reckoning few weeks back
a lot of fun super gritty/raw action flick - I remember audio being really good but not nearly as powerful as Ninja but both worth a viewing for sure.

Agreed. Ninja definitely wins on level, although Universal Soldier wins on extension.
post #13350 of 18043 Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the list has long time no update
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page