The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 451 - AVS Forum
First ... 449  450  451 452  453  ... Last
Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 12:15 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Your above confuses me as the THX links that I linked to has a different standard than what you're reporting.

...eek.gif

Don't let my wife know.

...eek.gif

Do you have any links that can bring me up to speed regarding what you're commenting on, regarding any reference standards that I'm misunderstanding?
The information came from the links YOU posted.

KMFDMvsEnya's Avatar KMFDMvsEnya 12:18 PM 01-25-2014
No he is right, home theater should be calibrated to 75db.

Best Regards
KvE
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 12:25 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

The information came from the links YOU posted.

I'm not arguing; could you help a poor old veteran see what you're posting about as I'm missing what you're thoughtfully defining.

(Navy, Cruiser/Destroyer, 71-75)

...cool.gif
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 12:33 PM 01-25-2014
Using the internal test tones yes. Always read your manual as AVR's and processors vary. All my gear wanted me to run 75 dBs on the SPL meter at the LP with the test tones.

BTW, Beeman is right about HT systems. You can have different experiences at reference from two different reference capable systems. Why do you think there are so many choices and why some of us have gone crazy! In my mind the ultimate HT experience would be to have 7 Danley SH-50's with 8 REXXX 18's in an IB with the correct power for all of it. Without just spending the money the challenge for me is to get as close as possible for much less! I have two relatives that have reference capable systems which I put together but my system is still much better at reference, and cheaper!
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 12:34 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

I'm not arguing; could you help a poor old veteran see what you're posting about as I'm missing what you're thoughtfully defining.

...cool.gif
http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/home-theater-blog/2013/3/14/thx-reference-levelRight here.
craig john's Avatar craig john 12:35 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

...cool.gif
Read the info from JHaz I posted above. It explains how calibrating to 85 dB with a -20 dBFS signal results in EXACTLY the same end point as calibrating to 75 dB with a -30 dBFS signal.

Craig
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 12:38 PM 01-25-2014
I thought that could get too complicated for some so I never mentioned that.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 12:39 PM 01-25-2014
"In the home it works slightly differently. Most pre-processor and audio video receivers have embedded pink noise test tones used for level setting that are recorded at -30dB relative to full scale. Using these tones the level of individual speakers are adjusted to 75dB as measured with a C weighted SPL meter at the listening position. Note that the low frequency effects signal is nearly always internally set to be to be 10dB louder than that for the speakers so that the end user's life is simplified and the subwoofer is calibrated to 75dB rather than the 85dB one might expect."

That's for calibration purposes, not reference level playback purposes as calibration programs adjust for this "intentional" adjustment.

(the pink noise is too loud at 85dB so for calibration purposes, it's reduced to 75dB)
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 01:05 PM 01-25-2014
Have you guys ever measured reference levels with REW to see where your AVR's reference is? What I mean is when I set my AVR's auto calibration I measured the volume at -20 dBs win a sine wave sweep. Guess what, it had the mains at 97-98 dBs during that sweep. So -10 dBs on my master volume equates to 107-108 dBs with a sine wave sweep. So when I run my AVR at -13 dBs it sounds perfect! 0 dBs would be close to 118 dBs! I always use REW sweeps for my set reference point.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 01:14 PM 01-25-2014
...confused.gif

At the end of the calibration process, settings are checked and adjusted as necessary to a 80Hz crossover, all speakers set to small, using a calibrated sound meter, levels are checked and adjust according to an 85dB standard.

...confused.gif

And then REW is used to measure, graph, check and adjust subwoofer settings.

...confused.gif
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 01:17 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

"In the home it works slightly differently. Most pre-processor and audio video receivers have embedded pink noise test tones used for level setting that are recorded at -30dB relative to full scale. Using these tones the level of individual speakers are adjusted to 75dB as measured with a C weighted SPL meter at the listening position. Note that the low frequency effects signal is nearly always internally set to be to be 10dB louder than that for the speakers so that the end user's life is simplified and the subwoofer is calibrated to 75dB rather than the 85dB one might expect."

That's for calibration purposes, not reference level playback purposes as calibration programs adjust for this "intentional" adjustment.

(the pink noise is too loud at 85dB so for calibration purposes, it's reduced to 75dB)
I see. So it should be calibrated to 85?
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater 01:24 PM 01-25-2014
Have you checked with the levels are on REW? I measure thru a digital connection and one speaker with subs. My AVR set all speakers to the same level including the subs! It does an excellent job however 0 dBs is not reference and shame on me I never read the manual to see how it sets reference as volume knob is concerned. No need to as I measure and find out.
craig john's Avatar craig john 01:28 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

Only if you're using a -20 dBFS signal. What receiver do you have? What signal are you using for calibration?

Craig
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 01:31 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Only if you're using a -20 dBFS signal. What receiver do you have? What signal are you using for calibration?

Craig
Onkyo 805. Not sure about the signal. I guess it would be -30db.
Toe's Avatar Toe 01:49 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post

No he is right, home theater should be calibrated to 75db.

Best Regards
KvE

Avia is 85db IIRC, right? I know when I calibrate with Avia vs my processor tones, one is at 75 and one 85, so it depends on what you are using to calibrate your levels.
Quote:

My 885 uses -30db, so I would think your 805 is the same.
craig john's Avatar craig john 02:07 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

Anything with Audyssey uses -30 dBFS test tones. So you calibrate to 75 with the internal test tones. However, Audyssey also uses -30 dBFS signals, so, if you run Audyssey, you don't want to use the internal test tones to re-set the levels afterwards. Audyssey's EQ filers are not engaged when the internal test tones play. The boosts and cuts of the Audyssey filters are not accounted for in the internal test tone signals even after you run Audyssey. So, if you run the test tones, reset the levels... and then reengage the Audyssey filters, the relative calibration is no longer correct.

If you want to check the levels after running Audyssey, (I can't think of any reason to do so,) you would need to use external test tones and then be sure the Audyssey filters are engaged. If you do this, you'll find that Audyssey got them correct and the levels that you reset using the internal test tones are incorrect.

Craig
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 02:16 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

Anything with Audyssey uses -30 dBFS test tones. So you calibrate to 75 with the internal test tones. However, Audyssey also uses -30 dBFS signals, so, if you run Audyssey, you don't want to use the internal test tones to re-set the levels afterwards. Audyssey's EQ filers are not engaged when the internal test tones play. The boosts and cuts of the Audyssey filters are not accounted for in the internal test tone signals even after you run Audyssey. So, if you run the test tones, reset the levels... and then reengage the Audyssey filters, the relative calibration is no longer correct.

If you want to check the levels after running Audyssey, (I can't think of any reason to do so,) you would need to use external test tones and then be sure the Audyssey filters are engaged. If you do this, you'll find that Audyssey got them correct and the levels that you reset using the internal test tones are incorrect.

Craig
Thanks for the information. In other words back to 75db. So it depends on the calibration disc or the gear?
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 02:33 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I thought that could get too complicated for some so I never mentioned that.
Not that complicated.
craig john's Avatar craig john 02:35 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

Thanks for the information. In other words back to 75db. So it depends on the calibration disc or the gear?
Have you run Audyssey? If so, go back to the Audyssey level settings. They're correct.
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 02:38 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

Have you run Audyssey? If so, go back to the Audyssey level settings. They're correct.
I don't like Audyssey. Never accurate.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 02:56 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

Audyssey automatically adjusts it to 75dB and 75dB, 85dB or 65dB, it's all the same as according to what I read today, it's all relative.
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar J_Palmer_Cass 03:00 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

So how does -20db come into play?

Consumer equipment uses built in -30 dBFS test tones for calibration purposes. The -20 dB FS test tones are used in commercial equipment used in a professional sound mixing stage.

I made up a test tone CD for testing purposes, and I generated the test tones at -20 dB FS (85 dB SPL playback level if master volume is set to reference level). I usually playback around -10 dB from the reference level setting on the master volume control, so my playback levels for the test tones come out to be 75 dB SPL. (85 dB SPL - 10 dB FS = 75 dB SPL).

105 dB SPL represents full reference playback level. The following applies when the master volume is set to the calibrated reference level setting. On my receiver, -22 dB represents the calibrated reference level setting on the master volume control.

The -30 dB FS test tone will give you 75 dB SPL (105 dB SPL - 30 dB FS = 75 dB SPL).

The -20 dB FS test tone will give you 85 dB SPL (105 dB SPL - 20 dB FS = 85 dB SPL).
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 03:02 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

Audyssey automatically adjusts it to 75dB and 75dB, 85dB or 65dB, it's all the same as according to what I read today, it's all relative.

I'm too messed up on anti-histamines to be lucid. Somewhere in my readings today, I read how it was set to 85dB but 85dB is too loud for normal humans so it's set to 75dB for bearability but internally, it's automatically adjusted for this point so 75dB, 85dB or 65dB, Audyssey internally sets everything to a 85dB standard.

(Audyssey, doesn't give a poop what people think about 75dB or 85dB. The only ones arguing are people as machines don't care about this point)
J_Palmer_Cass's Avatar J_Palmer_Cass 03:06 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

Have you checked with the levels are on REW? I measure thru a digital connection and one speaker with subs. My AVR set all speakers to the same level including the subs! It does an excellent job however 0 dBs is not reference and shame on me I never read the manual to see how it sets reference as volume knob is concerned. No need to as I measure and find out.

My Sony receiver does not set 0 dB on the master volume as "reference".

Reference is about -22 dB on my master volume control.

Then again, my receiver is getting a bit old!
craig john's Avatar craig john 03:08 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

I'm too messed up on anti-histamines to be lucid.
Yes.
kemiza's Avatar kemiza 03:10 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

Consumer equipment uses built in -30 dBFS test tones for calibration purposes. The -20 dB FS test tones are used in commercial equipment used in a professional sound mixing stage.

I made up a test tone CD for testing purposes, and I generated the test tones at -20 dB FS (85 dB SPL playback level if master volume is set to reference level). I usually playback around -10 dB from the reference level setting on the master volume control, so my playback levels for the test tones come out to be 75 dB SPL. (85 fB SPL - 10 dB FS = 75 dB SPL).

105 dB SPL represents full reference playback level. The following applies when the master volume is set to the calibrated reference level setting. On my receiver, -22 dB represents the calibrated reference level setting on the master volume control.

The -30 dB FS test tone will give you 75 dB SPL (105 dB SPL - 30 dB FS = 75 dB SPL).

The -20 dB FS test tone will give you 85 dB SPL (105 dB SPL - 30 dB FS = 85 dB SPL).
There it is! Now it's been explained clearly. Typo in the math bro but I understand where you're coming from.
BeeMan458's Avatar BeeMan458 03:13 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:

Yes.

And you didn't say poop about the graphs you asked for.

...confused.gif
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 03:14 PM 01-25-2014
Watching ratatouille with my son. And wow the thunder and shotgun shots at the beginning are powerful. Not too deep from what I can tell by dynamic!
Mrkazador's Avatar Mrkazador 03:24 PM 01-25-2014

I thought the lightning scene in Ratatouille goes down to 10hz.

Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg 03:27 PM 01-25-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I thought the lightning scene in Ratatouille goes down to 10hz.
If it does that would make sense why it's so powerful. I guess because it's so quick. I'm used to the longer 10 Hz effects such as OHF etc. smile.gif
Tags: The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
First ... 449  450  451 452  453  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop