The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 454 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #13591 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Brian Fineberg, I believe its Metallica Through the Never.

thank you!!! I am usually VERY good at figuring our abbreviations...but was stumped

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen |Emotiva XPA-200| PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13592 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

because first growth Bordeaux and Grand Cru...

In a freshly rinsed and dried plastic cup if need be. May I have some more please. tongue.gif
post #13593 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 07:42 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

thank you!!! I am usually VERY good at figuring our abbreviations...but was stumped

Sorry Brian, but as mentioned above, it is the new Metallica concert/movie that hits blu today (Metallica: Through the Never). 2.35, 3d......can't wait to check it out on my scope screen as it is extremely rare we get a concert in 2.35. cool.gif I was surprised to see it even mentioned in this thread as I am not expecting anything in the way of bass, so whatever is there will be a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post

Great point!

Also, it follows that a bad movie is still a bad movie, no matter how good the sound may be.

It all depends on what you mean by bad movie though as to me, a movie can be good from many angles and for different reasons. If talking plot, story and acting, then I would agree with you. Something like Transformers though for example I would consider a good movie IF watched in a nice theater since a big part of that type of movie experience relies on the technical side itself and from that perspective, it is a good movie even though the plot, acting and story are weak. Not to mention what makes a "bad" movie is VERY subjective which is always why I have to watch and decide for myself. When somebody says "This movie is bad" all they are telling me is it was bad in their opinion which might not line up with my own once I see it, especially in my HT.

A good example of this is the recent Ninja films talked about here. These films to me are pretty awful if I was just watching on my flat panel tv upstairs with my tv speakers, but watching downstairs in the HT turns these films into very fun escapism entertainment that I will certainly revisit at times. So is it a bad movie overall? Not in my opinion as it is highly entertaining from a technical perspective and a great escape for a few hours if the mood strikes for that kind of thing.

Sorry to rant here a bit, but I always find it funny when someone says "movie X is bad" like people will just find it universally bad. tongue.gif All that person is telling me is their opinion which I may or may not agree with after watching myself. Different movies can be "good" for many different reasons depending on the person, how they watched it, etc........you just never know until you watch yourself, but it is fun to read what other people think.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #13594 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
post #13595 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Wolf of Wallstreet = Not wife friendly

Speak for yourself. tongue.gif
post #13596 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

oh crap!! just watched the trailer for the new Metallica movie..now I have to go to BB to get it!! haha sweet!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen |Emotiva XPA-200| PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

post #13597 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

Wolf of Wallstreet = Not wife friendly
False, My wife loves this film.
post #13598 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

oh crap!! just watched the trailer for the new Metallica movie..now I have to go to BB to get it!! haha sweet!

Same thing happened to me! tongue.gif Curious to hear your thoughts after you check it out. I should get to it tonight hopefully.

post #13599 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Same thing happened to me! tongue.gif Curious to hear your thoughts after you check it out. I should get to it tonight hopefully.
you will most likley get a spin before me...so we can share...you first! haha

post #13600 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:

Going to buy it right now at BB. smile.gif

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS4
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
post #13601 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchunter View Post

Just got done watching Rush. What a rush it was!! Spectacular movie in every way. Sound and picture quality were excellent. Very glad I bought this.

Agree. I thought it was a very good film. I was at a friends house and he had a ripped a copy and asked if I wanted to watch it. I was't overly excited about watching a film with picture on the television but sound coming through his apple laptop at all. "Wow" I thought "I'd rather go home than watch a movie through this kind of rig" but then I checked myself. "You snobby prick" I thought "just watch the goddamn movie". Kind of like refusing to drink inexpensive wine because first growth Bordeaux and Grand Cru Burgundy is all you'll stomach nowadays and only in a Riedel Sommelier glass. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised and glad I did watch it through the apple laptop as it proved that a good movie is still just that no matter what you watch or listen to it on. Of course its going to be a much different experience in my own living room as I couldn't tell you whether the movie had bass or not and yes I would MUCH prefer to watch at home but not restricted to it. Looking forward to revisiting this one again and will think twice next time before dismissing the alternative.
Odd that they couldn't send both video AND audio to the TV. I've brought movies to my friends' places before, ripped from my BD to a laptop (they had an HDTV, but they didn't have a BDP). I just sent audio and video to the TV.
Quote:

Great point!

Also, it follows that a bad movie is still a bad movie, no matter how good the sound may be.
LOL, like Frankenstein's Army? I watched that one due to this thread and personally thought that not only was the movie pretty bad, but the bass wasn't very good either. Sure there was lots of it, but therein lay the issue for me. There was bass practically all the time. Just way overblown IMO. Watching it on tiny speakers, it would have been a bad movie. Watching it on a single digit Hz capable setup, it was still a bad movie.

Max
post #13602 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 01:16 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

LOL, like Frankenstein's Army? I watched that one due to this thread and personally thought that not only was the movie pretty bad, but the bass wasn't very good either. Sure there was lots of it, but therein lay the issue for me. There was bass practically all the time. Just way overblown IMO. Watching it on tiny speakers, it would have been a bad movie. Watching it on a single digit Hz capable setup, it was still a bad movie.

Max

FA would not qualify for you in reference to the post you were responding to as that post assumed you thought the audio was good in whatever otherwise bad movie you were watching. You took a bad movie (in your opinion) and it also had a bad audio track (in your opinion), so of course it will still be a bad movie in the HT. tongue.gif Me for example using FA, I don't know if I would have even made it through that WAY out there film once if watching on just my flat panel, but I personally loved the audio and bass track in my HT and thought it suited the film perfectly overblown LFE and all, so it became a good movie for me in the HT, and was good enough in fact that I bought a copy and have watched it 3 times already. biggrin.gif

The point though is you have to take an otherwise bad movie (in your opinion) with a great technical presentation and then the question becomes, is it still a bad movie if it is highly enjoyable in one way or another (from a technical angle in this example)? IMO, it is not a bad movie at that point since it was a fun and entertaining experience. To turn this around, there are tons of great films from an acting/story perspective that have very little to offer on the technical side, so does that make those films bad? Of course not, they just need to be appreciated from the appropriate angle.

Just my take and some wont agree which is cool obviously.

post #13603 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I've been thinking of starting a thread called, "What's the worst movie you've ever watched, for the sake of bass?"

For me, that title is, The Man With The Iron Fists. Ugh!
nube likes this.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS4, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200,
Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #13604 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've been thinking of starting a thread called, "What's the worst movie you've ever watched, for the sake of bass?"

Battle LA is one of the first that comes to mind. That movie IMO is corny as all hell, but becomes a flat out fun experience in the HT when you factor in A/V.

post #13605 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked: 1364
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

Pulse...
post #13606 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 01:47 PM

In my opinion, without a doubt:

"Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" - Theatrical trailer
post #13607 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

Machete, hands down.

2nd would be The Expendables.

3rd Sharknado.

To call these B-movies would be an insult to all B-movies smile.gif

Still trying to recover from those three... smile.gif

EDIT: sorry, didn't see the 'sake of bass part...' lol

post #13608 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 445
My worst was The Last Airbender. The Man with the Iron Fists is a very, very close second. Getaway is a close third, maybe tied with Dead in Tombstone. Pulse is up there, too. All are absolutely terrible movies from the perspective of formal film criticism, but all have lots of bass content. Ugh. Double ugh! The things we do for love (of bass)! tongue.gif

A couple of questions I ask myself are whether or not the bass content is complex and additive to the movie, and whether or not the sound effects are reused too frequently throughout. I think we're all too nice when critiquing movies with bass, and I actually hope people will start expressing their criticism more in their execution votes on the polls over at data-bass.com. wink.gif
post #13609 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 299
For me, Frankenstein's Army definitely takes it. I'd have to think back to all the Movies With Bass to determine if it's the worst one of those I've ever watched (it's undoubtedly one of the top contenders), but it's unquestionably the "Worst movie I've ever watched for the sake of bass", as I never considered watching/renting it till I heard about it here.

I've watched Pulse. Didn't think it was great, but for me, it was certainly better than FA, AND importantly, I DIDN'T watch it specifically for the bass. I watched it out of curiosity because I like horror movies, and THEN heard the server room scene.

Although B:LA wasn't a great movie, I still found it way better than FA, but once again, I didn't watch it for the bass. I'm also a sci fi fan and like the 'battling aliens' genre. I liked the bass enough to watch it more than once though.

I watched MWTIF because I'm a HUGE MA/Wuxia fan (the trailers got me all excited). Blind bought the BD before knowing what the bass would be like. Watched it once and haven't watched it since. I guess after seeing him in this and GI Joe, I just can't stand RZA.

For that matter, while I really enjoy Tron:Legacy for the audio and eye candy (and have watched it many times), the first time watching it, 2 things came to mind: 1) the story is only OK, but mostly 2) who is this lead actor and WHY did he get the part? Because he's pretty darn wooden as actors go

***side note
I've noticed this Hollywood trend recently, and you guys are free to mention it any time your SO brings up some bimbo with little talent being cast simply because she has a pretty face/big jugs/whatever:

There have been a fair number of recent Hollywood action blockbuster attempts, casting what I would call mimbos (male bimbos, cast predominantly for their looks, but with far less talent than many other options).

A brief sample list of movies cast with leading mimbo roles:
Tron:Legacy
John Carter
Conan The Barbarian - (Jason Momoa)
Pacific Rim

Max
nube likes this.
post #13610 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

If anyone here who blind bought MWTIF ended up not liking it and wants to get rid of it for a fair used price, shoot me a PM and I will probably take it off your hands.

Thanks!

post #13611 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Watched Riddick today and thought the pq and sound design was great. Running +6db on the sub helped but the bass was present a good when it was needed on screen. Doubt I'll buy it, but enjoyed it none the less.👍
post #13612 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I love how campy Man With The Iron Fist is. I've seen it 20 times and laugh hard every time. It's not meant to be Citizen Kane.
Toe and audiofan1 like this.
post #13613 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

LoL It was recommended in this thread. It was sooooooo bad, today is my first time back to the thread LoL Cloverfield...
post #13614 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM

Fortunately, I was able to catch a few minutes of "Cloverfield" on cable and after watching this group run around like chickens with their head cutoff, decided to move on to something else.
post #13615 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Fortunately, I was able to catch a few minutes of "Cloverfield" on cable and after watching this group run around like chickens with their head cutoff, decided to move on to something else.

The bass in that movie is awesome!
post #13616 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM

I would have loved to have listened for the bass but it was a bit too campy for me to purchase a used blu-ray from Amazon.

Ordered up "Unstoppable" in blu-ray today from Amazon; <$6, delivered. biggrin.gif
post #13617 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 06:07 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

The bass in that movie is awesome!

+1 Not to be missed by any true bass head!
bori likes this.

post #13618 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 84
re: Cloverfield... the movie sucks , the ending is stupid, and they all die... but the bass is worth it. biggrin.gif

We never grow until we're pushed outside the boundaries we are comfortable within...
post #13619 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 96
For those interested in a decent 4 star bass move, Best Buy has Looper on Blu-Ray for 4.99.

Link
Imageless83 likes this.
post #13620 of 21767 Old 01-28-2014, 08:22 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie Isaac View Post

For those interested in a decent 4 star bass move, Best Buy has Looper on Blu-Ray for 4.99.

Link

Thanks for the link, I picked up Total Recall as well.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray , Amazing Spiderman Ultimate Edition , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Back To The Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy Digital Copy Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Battleship , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , Bolt Blu Ray , Braveheart Blu Ray , Captain America The First Avenger Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Casino Royale Blu Ray , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Cloverfield Blu Ray , Conan The Barbarian Blu Ray , Daredevil Directors Cut Blu Ray , Death Race 3 Inferno Blu Ray , Devil Blu Ray Widescreen , Disneys Wall E Blu Ray , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Fantastic 4 Rise Of The Silver Surfer , Fast Five Blu Ray , Finding Nemo , Flight Of The Phoenix Blu Ray , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Hanna Blu Ray , Harry Potter The Order Of The Phoenix Playstation3 Game Ea , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Hitman Digital Copy Blu Ray , Hot Fuzz 2 Disc Special Edition Region 2 Dvd , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Hurt Locker Blu Ray , Immortals Blu Ray , Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Iron Man 2 Single Disc Edition Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , Kung Fu Panda 2 Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Last Stand Blu Ray , Live Free Or Die Hard Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Marvels The Avengers , Matrix , Max Payne Unrated Edition Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End , Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Pirates Of The Caribbean Three Movie Set Curse Of The Black Pearl Dead Mans Chest At Worlds End Blu , Prince Of Persia The Sands Of Time Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Rambo Blu Ray , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Resident Evil Afterlife Blu Ray , Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu Ray , Resident Evil Retribution 3d Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Sherlock Holmes Blu Ray , Skyfall Blu Ray , Skyline Blu Ray , Star Trek Blu Ray , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Star Wars , Subwoofers , Sucker Punch Two Disc Extended Edition Blu Ray , Super 8 Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Svs Pb2000 , Terminator Salvation Two Disc Directors Cut Blu Ray , The Cabin In The Woods , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Hunger Games Blu Ray Digital Copy , The Incredible Hulk Blu Ray , The Incredibles Four Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , The Last Airbender Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , The Pacific Blu Ray , The Raid Redemption , The Ultimate Matrix Collection Blu Ray , The Worlds End Blu Ray Dvd Digital Hd With Ultraviolet , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Total Recall , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray , Triangle Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , U 571 Blu Ray , Underworld Awakening Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray 3d , Unstoppable Blu Ray Digital Copy , Valkyrie Blu Ray , War Of The Worlds Blu Ray , Windtalkers Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , X Men Origins Wolverine Two Disc Ultimate Edition Blu Ray , X Men Origins Wolverine Uncaged Edition , X Men The Last Stand Blu Ray , Xxx , Zombieland Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page