The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 46 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

maxmercy's Avatar maxmercy
05:59 AM Liked: 148
post #1351 of 19197
10-08-2011 | Posts: 2,376
Tremendous.....to the point of almost being too much.....but we are bassheads.

The one thing that bugged me in the mix was the Soviet plane formation flying over the parade......a bit much.

Also, it is hard to take the Soviet General guy seriously....have you ever seen Euro Trip?

"We just got Miami Wice here.....have you heard of Miami Wice?"

On the other hand, he does also play Boris the Blade.....great role.

I'll get an avg/peak for that one as well this weekend...

JSS
btinindy's Avatar btinindy
06:01 AM Liked: 52
post #1352 of 19197
10-08-2011 | Posts: 832
X-Men was fantastic! All of the low end matched what was happening in the movie as well so it was a totally immersive movie AND there were a lot of hotties in the movie, which was an extra bonus. My 2 Captivator 1000's only dig to about 13 Hz, but the experience was fantastic! This movie gave me a new list of rattles in my room to hunt down.

It is amazing the emotions that the lower bass evokes which IMO the amount of emotion that a movie brings about makes it the most memorable. Great movie and thank you for the graphs as well, it is nice to see what I was feeling as well as to see what I might be missing! I would love to hear a setup that goes to the single digits for comparison.
deepstang's Avatar deepstang
06:29 AM Liked: 11
post #1353 of 19197
10-08-2011 | Posts: 1,708
Any comments on Fast Five??
bori's Avatar bori
08:00 AM Liked: 83
post #1354 of 19197
10-08-2011 | Posts: 2,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Yeah, Xmen First Class is a five star - finally got my hands on it this evening.

Yes just watched this and bass was great movie was too. Good plot unlike transformers.
Oklahoma Wolf's Avatar Oklahoma Wolf
08:59 AM Liked: 28
post #1355 of 19197
10-08-2011 | Posts: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

The one thing that bugged me in the mix was the Soviet plane formation flying over the parade......a bit much.

That part was just a bit over the top. And by just a bit, I mean a whole lot. It was fun
croseiv's Avatar croseiv
12:12 PM Liked: 11
post #1356 of 19197
10-08-2011 | Posts: 2,654
Just picked this one up and having a watch. So far, I have been quite impressed with the LFE and over all AQ. I know there has been alot of discussion about this movie's LFE, but I am quite impressed. It has really been shaking things. The stack approves. I agree with the 4 to 4.5 star rating. Trans 3 is a MUCH better movie than Trans 2. THOR is up next.
onesquin's Avatar onesquin
05:16 AM Liked: 10
post #1357 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

4.5 stars for me. Lots of LFE throughout this movie. LFE was used well for action, dramatic effect, and especially music. There were several sweeps for action and dramatic effect. The LFE was really accurate and not overdone. Decent movie overall as well. If it dug a little deeper, it would have been 5 stars.
Mpray1983's Avatar Mpray1983
07:11 AM Liked: 12
post #1358 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 2,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesquin View Post

4.5 stars for me. Lots of LFE throughout this movie. LFE was used well for action, dramatic effect, and especially music. There were several sweeps for action and dramatic effect. The LFE was really accurate and not overdone. Decent movie overall as well. If it dug a little deeper, it would have been 5 stars.

I do not think this movie merits 4.5 stars...it doesn't really have anything special that makes it unique from any other movie. The only good part was the grenade.
07:13 AM Liked: 10
post #1359 of 19197
I just watched the intro to Planet Earth - Mountains on directv. It pulsated my room similar to WOW for 15 sec or so. I couldn't hear it, only feel it. I rewatched it until my wife made me stop!!!
07:21 AM Liked: 10
post #1360 of 19197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

I do not think this movie merits 4.5 stars...it doesn't really have anything special that makes it unique from any other movie. The only good part was the grenade.

Since when is uniqueness part of the criteria? I voted based on quantity(lots), quality, accuracy, and the diversified use of LFE which I liked a lot. Lots of movies use LFE for action, Fast Five uses LFE for music and dramatic effect as good or better than any other movie I have seen. When I watch this movie a second time even hotter, I think I will like it even more.
07:52 AM Liked: 12
post #1361 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 2,350
Quote:

Since when is uniqueness part of the criteria? I voted based on quantity(lots), quality, accuracy, and the diversified use of LFE which I liked a lot. Lots of movies use LFE for action, Fast Five uses LFE for music and dramatic effect as good or better than any other movie I have seen. When I watch this movie a second time even hotter, I think I will like it even more.

I just don't think this movie Is on the same level as iron man and the dark knight which are both 4.5. It is definitely not on the level of WOTW or cloverfield whether you based it on quantity or quality.
centauro74's Avatar centauro74
08:47 AM Liked: 13
post #1362 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 604
Quote:

Yeah that movie was a disappointing to me, I heard a lot things about that movie and it was the same thing from the last.
blackangst's Avatar blackangst
12:11 PM Liked: 19
post #1363 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 324
Just watched Thor last week, and although the movie was, as others have said, very bass intensive, the movie absolutely sucked. One of the worst movies Ive seen recently.
smokarz's Avatar smokarz
02:02 PM Liked: 69
post #1364 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 3,283
watched about half of Hanna last night, and ****....really good bass....

the early scene where the plane flew over their home in the forest digs pretty deep. any measurements on this?
02:22 PM Liked: 28
post #1365 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 1,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

watched about half of Hanna last night, and ****....really good bass....

the early scene where the plane flew over their home in the forest digs pretty deep. any measurements on this?

smokarz's Avatar smokarz
03:06 PM Liked: 69
post #1366 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 3,283
Very nice. Activities below 10hz? I think my subs give up around 16hz.
bossobass
05:02 PM Liked: 610
post #1367 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 4,509
Our settings are pretty close. My scale goes lower and +5 above '0', and I've been cranked a few dB above reference for the last couple of movies, but pretty close vs some other's choices of settings:

Thanks for posting

Bosso
bossobass
05:04 PM Liked: 610
post #1368 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 4,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokarz View Post

Very nice. Activities below 10hz? I think my subs give up around 16hz.

Yes, quite a bit at 10 Hz and below in Hanna (see some posted graphs 2 pages ago), here's an example:

Bosso
lfe man's Avatar lfe man
06:12 PM Liked: 31
post #1369 of 19197
10-09-2011 | Posts: 846
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Especially lfe man who is THE man for reviving and updating the thread.

Bosso

Thats more like it.
Quote:

I was expecting TF2 goodness and more....do not get me wrong. The mix is excellent, but I defininitely miss the 15-25Hz effects that were included in TF2....one of the deeper scenes is when the stone pillars fall on the decepticons in the desert toward the end....great use of ULF rumble. It helps that my main seat has a resonance at 18-22Hz...

JSS

Weird, i don't remember any bass from that scene. I need to re-check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicey View Post

I may not be an insider, but I have a few friends who are, and I have heard many uncompressed theatrical mixes of films such as Avatar.

Hmm, i might still have change to re-check that version now with spectrumlab and do comparison with dvd version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

I think far too much is being made of what we are reading about T3...dynamic compression, filtering under 20hz, blah, blah, blah. Forget about that crap and give it a watch and a listen and just enjoy. It's a fun ride despite the shortcomings that have been written about it. While <20hz is nice to have in a movie, it doesn't mean that it isn't fun and powerful without it.

I think many even would notice the difference that under 20hz stuff is not there without bosso giving us charts from it. Oooh, it's was lowest bass ever...well though it really was great sounding bass movie. One of best sounding bass effects to date. Bass movie of the week/month for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Film mixer,
Although I enjoyed the bass mix in Transformers 3, what I don't understand is why we can have films on Blu-Ray like Inception, which offered so much deep bass that I found it at times a bit distracting.

Ian

I though inception did have pretty bad sound mix. Just too loud music with crap sounding bass. I wonder why this got oscar for sound.

Quote:

Has anyone taken any charts of trollhunter?

Maybe soon, i hope. No time yet to watch it.

Quote:

Tremendous.....to the point of almost being too much.....but we are bassheads.

JSS

Hmm, have you ever heard real fighters take off/fly over you. The sound is something else, grabs you in throat and push you real good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAzxr...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang View Post

Not much bass under 40hz.
05:28 AM Liked: 10
post #1370 of 19197
10-10-2011 | Posts: 89
Quote:

I just don't think this movie Is on the same level as iron man and the dark knight which are both 4.5. It is definitely not on the level of WOTW or cloverfield whether you based it on quantity or quality.

So 4 stars on fast five. Rest still applies.

I watched the Lion King last night with the kiddos. It is dtsma 7.1 and they did a good job with the LFE. Elephant footsteps, thunder, stampedes, geysers all pressurized the room nicely. Not really worth applying stars, but way better than most family movies, esp. Since it was orig released in 1994.
06:42 AM Liked: 12
post #1371 of 19197
10-10-2011 | Posts: 2,350
Quote:

So 4 stars on fast five. Rest still applies.

I watched the Lion King last night with the kiddos. It is dtsma 7.1 and they did a good job with the LFE. Elephant footsteps, thunder, stampedes, geysers all pressurized the room nicely. Not really worth applying stars, but way better than most family movies, esp. Since it was orig released in 1994.

Just because a movie is new doesn't mean it's worthy of being mentioned here. Fast five shouldn't even be on the list.
maxmercy's Avatar maxmercy
01:26 PM Liked: 148
post #1372 of 19197
10-10-2011 | Posts: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post

Hmm, have you ever heard real fighters take off/fly over you. The sound is something else, grabs you in throat and push you real good.

Yes, mainly F-18s and Harriers. The rumble is amazing (best was an F-14 taking off, full burner, about 200 ft away), but the higher registers overpower unless you have hearing protection on. Same thing w/ sonic booms. They contain lots of HF, to the point that to enjoy the LF, earplugs must be worn.

The scene in question was so far from reality (in a movie about mutants that can control magnetic fields and such, i know) that I thought it could have been done better. There was plenty of low end without the flyby.....but that is just my opinion.

I spent the weekend getting my projector calibrated to D65, lools amazing now. I should be able to do the peak/avg graphs at some point for all 3 TF films, level-matched.

Quickly doing all of the bass heavy scenes, i found that peak levels of 30-50hz are the highest, with 20-25hz around 10dB down, and a rolloff below 20.

Using soho54's audio test dvd, i found that my signal chain (bdp to receiver to soundcard), is down ~10dB at 3hz, and down ~3dB at 6hz. Above 7hz i am flat....

Overall, gimme battle:la for LF track of the year so far....very well done. Even with the rolloff, i did like Thor as well...any big ones coming soon? Cap'n America? Super8?

Have Hanna in my que....

JSS
04:18 PM Liked: 12
post #1373 of 19197
10-10-2011 | Posts: 2,350
Maxmercy,

Super 8 has a lot of potential assuming they don't butcher the low end like many others this year. Super 8 could be the WOTW demo quality.
lfe man's Avatar lfe man
04:43 PM Liked: 31
post #1374 of 19197
10-10-2011 | Posts: 846
Priest have good bass with ulf, so check it out guys.
mbfleming's Avatar mbfleming
08:03 AM Liked: 44
post #1375 of 19197
10-11-2011 | Posts: 866
I spoke to the mixer Greg Russell on Oct 9th and asked if he filtered <20Hz and he replied "hell no!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

X-Formers III; Dark Side Of The Moon

After watching the movie several more times and more closely analyzing the 3-120 Hz content (LFE+RB through the SW output), my personal opinion is that the soundtrack as a whole is not filtered.

It appears by the evidence that the individual effects were filtered. Most of them are filtered, but a few of them are not because some spots show content to 5 Hz.

The <20 Hz content is much more sparse and attenuated than in X-Formers. In fact, in scrutinizing all 3 movies, there is a trend of filtering <20 Hz in the effects. The best example is the footsteps of the bots. As I posted 2 captures earlier, the bots' footsteps were very prominently ULF in the 1st movie, less so in the 2nd and non-existent in the 3rd, which typifies the trend.

This is really a shame, IMO. In the 1st movie, the footsteps, staying with that example, typically do not coincide with a headroom problem and very effectively convey the weight/size of the bots. In my case, situated on a large wood frame floor system, the ULF pressure waves cause the room to react as though the bots were right in front of you. This sort of ULF-reproduction-in-the-home experience is relatively a very recent one for humans, and, therefore, a very impressive experience for everyone, either way one may view them.

IMO, these sort of effects are a huge plus to the experience if your system has the capability to reproduce them, but have no effect, ill or otherwise, on a system that isn't capable of reproducing them. So, why filter them?

I recently played the opening scene in Star Trek, where the Romulun mining ship emerges from the black hole, for guests, with full bandwidth playback and with a 20 Hz HPF in line, and asked them if they perceived any difference and if so, could they describe the difference.

One person said something like; "Waaay different. the whole seat moves. It feels like the walls are moving... the whole room moves!".

Here's a visual:

Anyway, I retract my first declaration that TF III; DSOTM is filtered. I now believe that individual effects have been either designed with no ULF or filtered as part of their creation, but some are not, based on the SpecLab graphs. I also believe that the 3 movies in the series trend toward less and less ULF content, thus my 3.5 star rating, bumped to 4 stars by sheer amount of bass content.

Bosso

quattroatl's Avatar quattroatl
08:06 AM Liked: 29
post #1376 of 19197
10-11-2011 | Posts: 253
Say what you will about WOTW plot and story, but there is no other movie that has the LFE and creepy scare effect by the use of sound like WOTW.

The sound effects when the PODs are coming are disturbing!!!
mojomike's Avatar mojomike
08:15 AM Liked: 27
post #1377 of 19197
10-11-2011 | Posts: 6,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by quattroatl View Post

Say what you will about WOTW plot and story, but there is no other movie that has the LFE and creepy scare effect by the use of sound like WOTW.

The sound effects when the PODs are coming are disturbing!!!

I agree with you. It's still the best bass demo material I've ever run across. At reference levels, the bass in that scene can scare me every time.
Gellidius's Avatar Gellidius
11:35 AM Liked: 16
post #1378 of 19197
10-11-2011 | Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

I agree with you. It's still the best bass demo material I've ever run across. At reference levels, the bass in that scene can scare me every time.

same thing for me, the first time i saw the movie, my sub was hot by about 6 dB - i had done it by ear on tv programming; when the tripod put his foot down near the camera after it came out of the ground, the sub hit so hard i thought it had crashed through my living room floor and my heart was racing. i knew it had not done so, but i still HAD to stop the movie and check if everything was ok.

that told me the sub had plenty of guts for my small av room.

will listen to WOTW again soon as my system is now well configured (Audyssey).
FOH's Avatar FOH
12:20 PM Liked: 213
post #1379 of 19197
10-11-2011 | Posts: 4,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post

I know we all have our fighter-jet anecdotes, here's mine;

For a fews years in a row, we vacationed to Pensacola Beach, Fla., for 4th of July weekend. Well, having the Blue Angels based there (right across the bay) is quite interesting. Every 4th of July, they would perform their annual home show on the beach. Well we were treated daily to stunning flyovers, from treetop level, to full tilt blasts over the water. The day before the main show, they perform a full rehearsal of the entire event, so a beach-front condo is a front row seat. Very, very exciting stuff.

Needless to say, the experience exceeds merely the aural component. The visceral element is truly breathtaking as they go full thrust/afterburners etc. I won't spoil anyone's experience at a future event, but they do craft the show in a manner that takes the crowd by surprise. I'll PM the description to those interested, but not to the masses, as it's very exciting.

One of the coolest maneuvers is the tail walk, or whatever it's called. It's when the pilot slows to stall speed, standing the aircraft up toward vertical, nearly "hovering" with thrust,....right in front of you out over the water! Bad-Ass There's this shuddering mid-bass chest resonance that cuts right thru all else, riding on top is the distinct turbine whine that accompanies the primary pink noise engine thrust,...but down low, there is an element of LF, waves and waves, but much lower in level.

All that is cool, but I give the over-all experience of patriotism, and watching some of our nation's finest pilots do their thing, is a very powerful, emotional feeling.

So lfe man is correct, the sound is something else.

Thanks

btw; the IMAX at the Naval Air Museum is very cool too
04:19 PM Liked: 28
post #1380 of 19197
10-12-2011 | Posts: 1,751
Picked up The Orphanage on DVD today after spotting it in the five dollar bin with a DTS-ES logo on it. Not finding out a whole lot about it in searching the forums, but enough to suggest that this movie has been flying under the radar in the two bass threads.

Can't wait to watch it tonight and see what it's like
Tags: The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr

Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread