The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 09:53 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Agreed - four stars. Monster House has Randy Thom's fingerprints all over it... the walking house scenes are just off the wall nuts for LFE. If the whole movie were like that, it would be a five star.

Reminds me of How to Train Your Dragon in terms of how good the sound is in general. It's just lacking in scenes that really let the LFE run rampant. But when it does, fasten your seat belts.

I'm happy I bought this one on Blu-Ray... absolutely worth it. I came close to buying it on DVD a few times. Glad I waited.

Very well said! I am glad I bought it as well. Funny thing is I rented it two years in a row and by the third I realized that this was going to be an annual Halloween film for me and I should just buy it. Well worth it as you say!

I am going to revisit Silent Hill sometime this week for another Halloween movie. I remember some impressive LFE in this film!

Also Have Trick r Treat here from Netflix, but not expecting much from that one as far as LFE (or is there for those who have seen this?).

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Silent Hill will disappoint you if you're looking for Monster House quality LFE. It's barely a four star for me.

I picked up Hide and Seek the other day out of the five dollar DVD bin because I saw the DTS logo on the case. Not sure what to expect from that one, but if there's bass in there I'll know it.

Annual Halloween tradition for me is to run The Haunting in DTS-ES. May not do it this year... getting sick of the movie. On the other hand, I haven't seen it since the projector and the second tapped horn went in, and I just love cranking it for the DTS trailer at the start of the movie. Otherwise, I'm sure the Exorcism of Emily Rose would be glad to step in... there's a four and a half star movie right there.
post #1443 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Good call on Emily Rose as I forgot about that one and remember it having some great lows. Just put it in the que.

I would be curious to see the graphs for the elevator scene in Silent Hill. I remember that scene in particular hitting HARD, but not sure how low it went.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1444 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Just watched Captain America and for comic book movies that have come out this fall I would say this comes in last place in terms of bass. This movie was really does not even belong on the list. Sorry if I disappointed anyone...

And I was looking forward to watching it next week!

Just received the new Pirates movie. I hope the bass doesn't disappoint me. The one before that had a great PCM track.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #1445 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

Just received the new Pirates movie. I hope the bass doesn't disappoint me.

I wouldn't get my hopes up. The third one had Christopher Boyes, Lora Hirschberg, and Christopher Scarabosio in the sound credits. The new one does not, and it really shows.

Have lots of caffeine on hand, too. On Stranger Tides is a known cure for insomnia
post #1446 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:

I wouldn't get my hopes up. The third one had Christopher Boyes, Lora Hirschberg, and Christopher Scarabosio in the sound credits. The new one does not, and it really shows.

All four of the films were mixed by Chris Boyes.

Paul Massey has mixed the last three with him..

Paul also mixed "I, Robot" and "Master and Commander.."

Chris Boyes "LOTR," "King Kong," "Iron Man" and "Tron" among many others...

When you see "Additional Re-Recording Mixer" it can mean two things..

1. They did pre-dubs (i.e. pre mixing)

2. They came in after the film was finished and did updates, fixed, etc...
post #1447 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, ok... must have missed his name in the credits. Tends to happen when the plot tries to put me to sleep

Yeah, Boyes' work is usually pretty good. I guess it was this time too, only there was no room shaking LFE like the third movie had.
post #1448 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone seen the last air bender? It had tons of bass IMO.
post #1449 of 18533 Old 10-23-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, ok... must have missed his name in the credits. Tends to happen when the plot tries to put me to sleep

Yeah, Boyes' work is usually pretty good. I guess it was this time too, only there was no room shaking LFE like the third movie had.

Just saw it. Had a few decent LFE scenes, but not a keeper just a rental. I agree, it dragged a bit. I own the third one, has more action, better sound and no matter how often I've seen it, it could never put me to sleep.

Ian

post #1450 of 18533 Old 10-24-2011, 04:36 AM
Advanced Member

Hubble...shuttle take off...I think I need to lower my lf...got it at about 8 db's hot...stuff was falling off the walls.
post #1451 of 18533 Old 10-24-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

TF3 was mind blowing for me. The bass was more abundant that any other Movie I had ever seen. High quality Bass. There seemed to be plenty of low stuff, but I am probably not interpreting low stuff as some of the real bass heads do.
post #1452 of 18533 Old 10-24-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post

TF3 was mind blowing for me. The bass was more abundant that any other Movie I had ever seen. High quality Bass. There seemed to be plenty of low stuff, but I am probably not interpreting low stuff as some of the real bass heads do.

What kinda subs are you running
post #1453 of 18533 Old 10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What kinda subs are you running

Procella P15

If you looked at my link in my sig, I have changed from The P10's to a P15.
post #1454 of 18533 Old 10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Procella P15

I just read up on your sub I have personally never heard of that company. Seems to be a nice unit! The bass we are referring to when we say transformers 3 lacks in the extension level that usually brings us down into the single digits (hz). Usually these levels are achieved by large multiple drivers in multiple sealed enclosures. I'm guessing you have listened to the pod emergence scene in War of the Worlds? If so you will realize that transformers 3 doesn't come close in quality or extension when it comes to LFE when compared to something like War of the Worlds.
post #1455 of 18533 Old 10-24-2011, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just read up on your sub I have personally never heard of that company. Seems to be a nice unit! The bass we are referring to when we say transformers 3 lacks in the extension level that usually brings us down into the single digits (hz). Usually these levels are achieved by large multiple drivers in multiple sealed enclosures. I'm guessing you have listened to the pod emergence scene in War of the Worlds? If so you will realize that transformers 3 doesn't come close in quality or extension when it comes to LFE when compared to something like War of the Worlds.

I don't have the setup you are describing to dig into the single digits, and I agree that WOTW has the most violent room shifting bass out there (of course I am a fan of FOTP and Hurt Locker as well for ridiculous bass). But I went into TF3 expecting a mid bass bonanza but I was happily surprised to feel there were a number of times the low stuff shifted the room. I have a very small room especially for the sub I have, so I feel the bass pretty easily. I feel it was the best bass experience I have had in my room due to the overall amount of quality bass and how the bass was utilized in tandem with the satellites to create a truly impressive sound field experience. I don't argue that other movies have moments that TF3 can't touch in terms of visceral deep impact, but if I had to rate the movie bass experience overall I think TF3 is right there with anything I have heard.
post #1456 of 18533 Old 10-25-2011, 04:28 AM

Im contemplating buying IMAX: Hubble to be a demo bit. I usually default to WotW to impress people, but IMAX cracked the drywall in my house (again).

My biggest disappointment this summer has been TF3. So much room for improvement...

Ill rented X-Men based solely on the reviews here for LFE and found the story to be pretty entertaining too. Ill probably add that one to the collection.
post #1457 of 18533 Old 10-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post

My biggest disappointment this summer has been TF3. So much room for improvement...

You guys make me laugh ! TF3 biggest disappointment when this title is probably best soundtrack of the year overall. I am not talking about bass extension but overall. Yeah maybe WOTW beat it and some others too for LOW BASS but you can t describe it as a failure. Clarity, detail, surround sound reproduction, low frequency effects power and quantity, dynamics, everything is here. So stop complaining because bass extension doesnt reach 5hz or so at 0db...

Uncompressed 24/96 7.1 channels should be the way to go !

And please. NO DIALOG NORMALISATION CRAP !!!
post #1458 of 18533 Old 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD BlackNight View Post

You guys make me laugh ! TF3 biggest disappointment when this title is probably best soundtrack of the year overall. I am not talking about bass extension but overall. Yeah maybe WOTW beat it and some others too for LOW BASS but you can t describe it as a failure. Clarity, detail, surround sound reproduction, low frequency effects power and quantity, dynamics, everything is here. So stop complaining because bass extension doesnt reach 5hz or so at 0db...

+1

Ian

post #1459 of 18533 Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just finish Captain America, that sound track fell way short. I would not give it more than 3 stars if that.
post #1460 of 18533 Old 10-25-2011, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post

Just finish Captain America, that sound track fell way short. I would not give it more than 3 stars if that.

Agreed. It there was almost no bass. In scenes that should of had the room shaking.
post #1461 of 18533 Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM

As I said earlier , THIS IS the disappointment of the summer. Even in theaters Capt 'n couldn't make me smile. Worse it make me fall asleep pretty quickly. Not just the bass but the hole soundtrack was pretty boring. Music was very week, not much surround information, dynamics were so-so, and pretty anemic bass. A real dumber !!!

Uncompressed 24/96 7.1 channels should be the way to go !

And please. NO DIALOG NORMALISATION CRAP !!!
post #1462 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
^^^^ I read the pro reviews so I rented it. I should have listened to you guys. I thought the overall sound track was lacking alot also. I feel even if the movie has a good story if the sound sucks so does the whole experience.
post #1463 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 04:32 AM

Quote:

Thats your opinion and youre welcome to it. I still think its has lots of room for improvement, thats my opinion.

See how opinions work? Dont tell me to stop complaining or having an opinion.

P.S. Not sure if you read the thread title, but its "The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts". I bolded the important part. If you want to sing the praises of how awesome the soundtrack is, thats great, do it elsewhere. This isn't the thread for that.
post #1464 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

Procella P15

Yea, those subs look pretty good to me. I have read up on their speakers before and they seem like they are really top notch. Enjoy that system. I know I would.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #1465 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I just had the pleasure of "Hanna" last night. WOW! What I wouldn't give for all movies to be this strong. The flyover scene sent a wave through the room that felt like someone threw a blanket over me. Nice effect.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #1466 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Yea, those subs look pretty good to me. I have read up on their speakers before and they seem like they are really top notch. Enjoy that system. I know I would.

Yeah, I am in heaven. I would say that if I had to sum up Procella in one phrase it would be "clean dynamics". The best part is the personal customer service has been amazing.....kind of unexpected from a global company. That is very important to me. They are definitely a no nonsense company that is focused on the great reproduction of sound. There are many great companies out there, but IMHO Procella is part of the upper echelon of that pack.
post #1467 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 513
I saw Captain America in the theater and loved it, primarily because of the wonderfully faithful job it did of updating a WW-II comic book story with 21st Century moviemaking techniques. I watched the BD last night and agree that the LFE in Captain America's 7.1 HD audiotrack was lacking. That was doubly disappointing because of how fond I am of the film.
post #1468 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

The problem was the expectation.... Since most cinemas have real trouble below 30Hz, we generally have to wait until we get the BluRay to see how low it will dig and with how much power. With the stuff we saw onscreen in theaters, we were expecting more extension than ~20Hz.

Thor suffers from the same thing. When a magical hammer forged in the heart of a dying star causes a not-so-trivial land tsunami to form, you expect your room to shake violently...

There is no question that TF3 is a great soundtrack. But compared with Battle:LA, and Tron:Legacy and X-Men:First Class and even Scott Pilgrim, it simply lacks extension. B:LA and T:L and X:FC and SP were surprises in the extension department, and that's why they are lauded with praise here.

TF3 was expected to surpass the other two TF movies.....it does in many ways, but definitely not in the extension department.

This film was mixed for cinema playback, with no 'goodies' for the home users who can dig octave(s) lower than typical cinemas....

JSS

PS - I still have to do avg/peak measurements on this film.
post #1469 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucamelsmd15 View Post

Not sure if you read the thread title, but its "The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts". I bolded the important part. If you want to sing the praises of how awesome the soundtrack is, thats great, do it elsewhere. This isn't the thread for that.

Nonsense. Content on this forum topic is very subjective and has always included discussions about sound tracks that may or may not have the deepest extension to qualify for DVD's With House Crumbling Bass, which btw was the original catalysis for this 'sticky' thread.

Ian

post #1470 of 18533 Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

You guys should check out American Horror Story on FX
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page