The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 517 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15481 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

+1. I do not like Gravity.
Yep same here. Gravity actually put me to sleep. Very boring Zzzzzz

Denon 4520
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15482 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Finally found a used bd copy of " The Exorcism of Emily Rose". Gonna give that a run this weekend.
post #15483 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Still waiting on White House Down?

post #15484 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I've been going thru some older movies, since I started running my subs 6db hot. Last night it was time for "Inception" OMG...I had to do several rattle checks just to get thru the first scene eek.gif I ended up restarting it like 5 times biggrin.gif and today I had to relocate my amp LoL
post #15485 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 03:30 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post

I've been going thru some older movies, since I started running my subs 6db hot. Last night it was time for "Inception" OMG...I had to do several rattle checks just to get thru the first scene eek.gif I ended up restarting it like 5 times biggrin.gif and today I had to relocate my amp LoL

Thanks just added to my queue. I have been trying to go down the list and find movies I'd like to watch again now with a real sub. Glad to see this list here and even get updated feedback.

I added Fight Club but it has a long wait before it ships and it's a 1999 movie. Have all the new sub buyers started going through this list also and backed up Netflix! biggrin.gif

Living Room
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Sony PS3, Marantz SR5008, Center PC2000, Front & Surround's PM1000, Sub SVS PB-2000, Harmony Smart Remote

Bedroom
Panasonic TC-P46S1, Panasonic HTIB SA-BT200
post #15486 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Liked: 160

I just received WOTW today, and am watching what must be the tripod-standing scene through for the second time.

Now, mind you, all I have is a single SVS PB-2000 in a 5,500 cubic foot room that opens to the rest of the house, but...DAMN. This thread is accurate as it pertains to that scene. Holy. 

So this is what it sounds, or should I say feels, like when you start to get into legitimate bass. 

More please! Maybe eventually a pair of PC12-Plus. Yeah...

Edit: Even when I turn it down to -40 because my daughter is going to bed on the other side of the wall, it's still rattling the dog's cage. (sw is 6db hot in AVR though)

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #15487 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

The soundtrack plays almost the whole movie and the hd recording is truly awesome. If you haven't heard it, do yourself a favor... One of the best scifi soundtrack/scores of all time in my book.

Right on , Right on, on the sound track !!!! Plain and simple, Oblivion is hard to beat in all aspects of a movie, bass, picture quality, sound track, surround sound, acting and so on. Top notch all the way !!! IMO it should have won some awards. Oh did I mention sound track smile.gif ? This is one movie that I do not grow tired of. As a matter of fact I'm going to crank it up and watch it again this weekend. I need to make sure I didn't miss anything after watching it 4-times already. ha ha biggrin.gif
Just finished Gravity and thought well, once and done for me on that movie !!

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #15488 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
'Don Jon' was definitely better than what I thought it would be (which was nothing really). The score was pretty much all of it, but I came away pleasantly surprised.
post #15489 of 18570 Old 03-21-2014, 09:59 PM

Liked: 11

just watched a high school classic with my dual pb2000s. long title..... dont be a menace to south central la while drinking your juice in the hood. it was a wayans bros. spoof of all the hood movies of the 90s. its humor is not for most but i was surprised as how good it sounds thru my setup

post #15490 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 01:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 481
For those who found "Man of Steele" a bit of a let down in the ULF and a bit inconsistent placement of midbass slam to the on screen action , have you gotten around to a second viewing? I just finished my second go at it and came away with a different take and I must admit to liking it eek.gif there was even one point where I got chills up the spine which only happens for me in movies when the big three occur , one is on screen action ,second is a good music score and third dynamics done cleanly top to bottom including what is well known in the case of MoS as filtered bass! I was also more aware of the soundtrack as a whole in the movie and noticed Thor 2 like soundstage vastness sans the ULF which gave a more theatrical sound. The strong 30-40hz under pending's remained strong through out the movie and due to the fact its bass you here going down to reference volume levels this time only brought out more goodies. I'm not sure why this is but . MoS is worth a second viewing and one may or may not garner more respect for the mix!

I did smile.gif
Torqdog and missyman like this.
post #15491 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

For those who found "Man of Steele" a bit of a let down in the ULF and a bit inconsistent placement of midbass slam to the on screen action , have you gotten around to a second viewing? I just finished my second go at it and came away with a different take and I must admit to liking it eek.gif there was even one point where I got chills up the spine which only happens for me in movies when the big three occur , one is on screen action ,second is a good music score and third dynamics done cleanly top to bottom including what is well known in the case of MoS as filtered bass! I was also more aware of the soundtrack as a whole in the movie and noticed Thor 2 like soundstage vastness sans the ULF which gave a more theatrical sound. The strong 30-40hz under pending's remained strong through out the movie and due to the fact its bass you here going down to reference volume levels this time only brought out more goodies. I'm not sure why this is but . MoS is worth a second viewing and one may or may not garner more respect for the mix!

I did smile.gif

Reading your post gave me the chills.
post #15492 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Finally found a used bd copy of " The Exorcism of Emily Rose". Gonna give that a run this weekend.

Same here.  I have Thor 2 and Exorcism of Emily Rose in line to watch this weekend, though I don't know if I'll have time for both.  

post #15493 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrubes View Post

Same here.  I have Thor 2 and Exorcism of Emily Rose in line to watch this weekend, though I don't know if I'll have time for both.  
The only problem is I have to find someone to watch EoER with me. My family don't want to watch it. And I don't want to on my own. Cause in to chicken sh!t too. lol...
cchunter likes this.
post #15494 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:

I did smile.gif

I watched it twice and my opinion did not change at all. Two big dings against this one are poor extension and spotty execution which might be the bigger problem of the two. I still enjoyed the audio, but it could have been better in the low end and nothing that would make my demo list.

I also did a second viewing of Oz last night mainly to check out the 3d, but also to take in the awesome audio. My opinion did not change on that one either which was it's still excellent for LFE/sound to my ears. 3d was great as well!
audiofan1 likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #15495 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post

just watched a high school classic with my dual pb2000s. long title..... dont be a menace to south central la while drinking your juice in the hood. it was a wayans bros. spoof of all the hood movies of the 90s. its humor is not for most but i was surprised as how good it sounds thru my setup

"Hurry up and buy!"
post #15496 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Here's a Google docs spreadsheet with all the data-bass.com movie measurements. If you want to sort the columns, at the top goto View-->List. Then sort the columns however you like. Only thing I can't figure out is a script to keep the alternating row shading when you sort things. If anyone knows how to do that on Google docs let me know.

I'll keep it up to date so you can bookmark it and always refer back to it, or just click the link in the master measurements thread over there.

Also, see that there are 3 tabs - at the bottom in spreadsheet view, and at the top in list view. They are current measurements, old measurements, and requests. Feel free to post measurement requests here or over there and we'll try to get to them, but be explicit about it - no vagueness, please.

If there are any errors or omissions, let me know. I won't add new measurements until they're voted on. Feel free to suggest changes/additions to anything as well.

P.S. Bosso, I haven't forgotten your comments about other scenes to graph. I don't have all of those movies, but I tried to graph the ones I do have. I'm gonna redo that whole post over at the other site, since it just gets lost in the shuffle here.
popalock likes this.
post #15497 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Awesome work, thanks nube smile.gif
post #15498 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero zero seven View Post

Still waiting on White House Down?
Already graphed on Data-Bass, I think? Filtered at around 30Hz IIRC
post #15499 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:

I did smile.gif
Interesting........when I watched MOS I was not only dismayed by the anemic ULF but even more disturbing was the clipping throughout the FR spectrum. It was truly the worst soundtrack of 2013 IMHO but based on your 2nd helping review, I'll put it in que for another go-round.
audiofan1 likes this.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
post #15500 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Unfortunately I have to disagree, MOS still remains a loud compressed lackluster mix with dodgy applications of bass.

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #15501 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Clearly i dont know how to listen to movie soundtracks critically lol...

Wasnt MoS made from an original Atmos mix? I think it was released in atmos first.

Blazar!
post #15502 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 748
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Here's a Google docs spreadsheet with all the data-bass.com movie measurements. If you want to sort the columns, at the top goto View-->List. Then sort the columns however you like. Only thing I can't figure out is a script to keep the alternating row shading when you sort things. If anyone knows how to do that on Google docs let me know.

I'll keep it up to date so you can bookmark it and always refer back to it, or just click the link in the master measurements thread over there.

Also, see that there are 3 tabs - at the bottom in spreadsheet view, and at the top in list view. They are current measurements, old measurements, and requests. Feel free to post measurement requests here or over there and we'll try to get to them, but be explicit about it - no vagueness, please.

If there are any errors or omissions, let me know. I won't add new measurements until they're voted on. Feel free to suggest changes/additions to anything as well.

P.S. Bosso, I haven't forgotten your comments about other scenes to graph. I don't have all of those movies, but I tried to graph the ones I do have. I'm gonna redo that whole post over at the other site, since it just gets lost in the shuffle here.

This spreadsheet should be added to the first post for easy referencing.
Scott Simonian likes this.
post #15503 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

This spreadsheet should be added to the first post for easy referencing.

+1
post #15504 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 10:30 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post

Already graphed on Data-Bass, I think? Filtered at around 30Hz IIRC

I cannot find it, searched through.

post #15505 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I watched it twice and my opinion did not change at all. Two big dings against this one are poor extension and spotty execution which might be the bigger problem of the two. I still enjoyed the audio, but it could have been better in the low end and nothing that would make my demo list.

I also did a second viewing of Oz last night mainly to check out the 3d, but also to take in the awesome audio. My opinion did not change on that one either which was it's still excellent for LFE/sound to my ears. 3d was great as well!

Believe it or not as good as I thought OZ was i haven't done a second viewing yet and will have to do so I do remember feeling it had the best dialog I've heard along with it just being a superb mix! As for MoS the first go I found the spottiness more of a problem than the lack of extension, there are two variables at play as I've tried to figure out as to why I perceived less this time , one is I've been using a 60hz crossover point on my mains ( in the past it seemed I got less bass using it but feel its more seamless) as before I would use 40hz or fullrange and second my pre/pro received a massive update with noticeable audible differences in the mid bass. What ever it is I like it biggrin.gif but overall if I had to describe MoS now it would be between Thor 2 ( for its vastness) and Pacific Rim ( for dynamic punch) and as a side note my LFE channel is set at 100hz wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post

Interesting........when I watched MOS I was not only dismayed by the anemic ULF but even more disturbing was the clipping throughout the FR spectrum. It was truly the worst soundtrack of 2013 IMHO but based on your 2nd helping review, I'll put it in que for another go-round.

As for the clipping I found it does run on the hot side and is indeed aggressive from all channels but still it retained some fidelity when I went down to 0 on the volume , it was just big dynamic theater sound that would make Imax blush wink.gif
post #15506 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

"Hurry up and buy!"

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #15507 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Folks need to stop misinterpreting sheer output for dynamics.

A truly dynamic track provides an interesting usage of both loud and soft; which also permits the usage of deeper and more authoritative bass range and output.

Often when I see folks describe their impressions of soundtracks and use 'aggressive' that often means limited dynamic range due to excessive compression.
I prefer a mix that actually utilizes more of the available dynamic range effectively for a far more compelling and engaging audio experience than one that constantly hammers my ears with 6-12 dbs of limited dynamic range.

Attack and release seems to be a forgotten mixing technique, just always keep the levels as high as possible. Where can I get my relief?

Best Regards
KvE

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shovelling it.

post #15508 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 03:04 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 916
We are allowed to like what we like.

That being said, good use of dynamics is always nice but sometimes things just gotta get loud and be loud. wink.gif
audiofan1 likes this.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #15509 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 81
OZ had pictures coming off the wall how strong the bass is in the movie.
post #15510 of 18570 Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

OZ had pictures coming off the wall how strong the bass is in the movie.
That tornado was downright hair-raising biggrin.gif
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page