The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Potter was good...are you talkin about when voldermont uses the elder wand on the shield?

Yes I am. That scene seemed to really hit hard. The rest of the movie was good but that scene just stuck in my mind for bass for some reason

Watched the Hubble Imax. Wow that was nice on the shuttle takeoffs. Had to turn down the subs.

PSN- Velillen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you point to the correct IMAX Hubble title on Amazon?
There are too many versions. I don't have/want 3D.
post #1533 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake2003 View Post

Can you point to the correct IMAX Hubble title on Amazon?
There are too many versions. I don't have/want 3D.

Usually with those IMAX titles you can play them in 2D as well.
post #1534 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluvette View Post

Just finish Captain America, that sound track fell way short. I would not give it more than 3 stars if that.

Not singling this poster out because several have said this as well.

My PC is being wiped and reformatted, but I got my son to burn this scene from his Oppo and e-mail it to me so i could post it:

I think the flick is like the Transformers series for me in that you have to run the sub hot to get to the point.

Anyway, running the sub hot and this scene rippled the floor, big time.

I haven't been able to run SL in real time with a mic while I watch a movie yet, but I watched Green Lantern last night and I'll bet my ear lobe there's nothing below 30 Hz. Any graphs of it out there?

Bosso
post #1535 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:

Usually with those IMAX titles you can play them in 2D as well.

Correct. i dont know exactly what version my friend had (it was his copy) but i dont have 3d either. Loaded it up on the htpc with TMT5 and right on the title menu was an option to switch to 2d. Did that and it played just fine.

PSN- Velillen
post #1536 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 632
What part is that at, Bosso?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1537 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

What part is that at, Bosso?

I just watched it and i think that was scene where red skull inject that stuff his own arm. Was pretty awesome bass scene and there is a lot others ulf scenes too. That was nice when that little plane drops on mother plane and starts his propellers. I watched it hot too, +6db sub level and bass tone+6db and receiver 50/75 volume, it was awesome in this settings, but if i run like wotw in these settings, not good idea.
post #1538 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Cool. I haven't picked up CA but will prolly once it's dropped in price a bit.

Still have Jurassic Park to watch first. So far, I've only watched the special features.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #1539 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Cool. I haven't picked up CA but will prolly once it's dropped in price a bit.

Still have Jurassic Park to watch first. So far, I've only watched the special features.

Report back how t-rex scene sounds. Would be cool if you could do chart from that scene, so we could compare it with fixed dts dvd.
post #1540 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 07:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post

I just watched it and i think that was scene where red skull inject that stuff his own arm. Was pretty awesome bass scene and there is a lot others ulf scenes too. That was nice when that little plane drops on mother plane and starts his propellers. I watched it hot too, +6db sub level and bass tone+6db and receiver 50/75 volume, it was awesome in this settings, but if i run like wotw in these settings, not good idea.

You can make any movie sound good by turning up the bass but doesn't that defeat the purpose
post #1541 of 17411 Old 10-28-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Red Riding Hood - three stars. This movie was just kind of there, and so was the LFE.

Very well mixed and good sounding movie though.

The movie as a whole wasn't quite as bad as I was expecting, but it is pretty much a waste of Gary Oldman's talents.
post #1542 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

You can make any movie sound good by turning up the bass but doesn't that defeat the purpose

Reminds me of kids with boomboxes.
post #1543 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post

What does a receiver volume of 50/75 translate to relative to calibrated reference level? Is the 50 volume setting reference level, lower than reference level or higher than reference level?

My old receiver used a digital absolute scale, but I knew where the calibrated reference level setting was on the display.
post #1544 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

What does a receiver volume of 50/75 translate to relative to calibrated reference level? Is the 50 volume setting reference level, lower than reference level or higher than reference level?

My old receiver used a digital absolute scale, but I knew where the calibrated reference level setting was on the display.

If I remember correctly 82 is reference on my system. It's so much easier the other way...
post #1545 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 AM

Liked: 11
Jurassic has nice sound,very nice although no infrabas : ( would have been nice with some infra before the actually hearing bas becoms precent,hint to sound designers ; )

Brg // Nicke
post #1546 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 AM

Liked: 16
Wife and I watched Captain America last night. I usually keep my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus calibrated/EQ about +3dB above the mains. I had to flattening it out for this movie. I've read a plethora of reviews about the rather tepid soundtrack of this movie, in fact, being one of the weakest of the Marvel installments. And I find that interesting, because that's how I feel about Thor.

Anways...This movie was insane in both LFE, surround/sonic detail, and overall authority. I had to back down the sub and the volume knob on this one to keep the house intact. For those of you who are getting a lukewarm audio experience from this movie, you need to re-calibrate and EQ. That, or invest in better gear.

The first lab scene with Schmidt/Red Skull at the beginning, when Captain America freed the POWs and subsequent escape sequence, and the propeller bomb ships were insane. Not to mention the tactile feeling of the mass of Red Skulls big V wing ship. This is a fun and quite bombastic HD movie soundtrack. Along with being a fun and entertaining movie to boot.

My BASS rating for this movie is between 4 - 4.5 stars. Overall rating for soundtrack as a whole, would be at the bottom of the reference scale using Ralph Pott's formula.
post #1547 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowBudget5.1 View Post

Wife and I watched Captain America last night. I usually keep my Outlaw LFM-1 Plus calibrated/EQ about +3dB above the mains. I had to flattening it out for this movie. I've read a plethora of reviews about the rather tepid soundtrack of this movie, in fact, being one of the weakest of the Marvel installments. And I find that interesting, because that's how I feel about Thor.

Anways...This movie was insane in both LFE, surround/sonic detail, and overall authority. I had to back down the sub and the volume knob on this one to keep the house intact. For those of you who are getting a lukewarm audio experience from this movie, you need to re-calibrate and EQ. That, or invest in better gear.

The first lab scene with Schmidt/Red SkullNazi lab scene at the beginning, when Captain American freed the POWs and subsequent escape sequence, and the propeller bomb ships were insane. Not to mention the tactile feeling of the mass of Red Skulls big V wing ship. This is a fun and quite bombastic HD movie soundtrack. Along with being a fun and entertaining movie to boot.

My BASS rating for this movie is between 4 - 4.5 stars. Overall rating for soundtrack as a whole, would be at the bottom of the reference scale using Ralph Pott's formula.

Don't know how you are coming up with your conclusion of Captain America LFE was very week.
Also some of us have spent thousands on setting up are systems along with thousands on gear so you can't say that we need better gear, for example my show room has almost $25,000 just in subs put on WotW Hulk ECT... and the sound and bass is not even close. Just want to also let you know I can put in a cd that I used when I was Iasca world champ and hit 160db easy so I don't think it's my gear.
post #1548 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The first lab scene with Schmidt/Red SkullNazi lab scene at the beginning, when Captain American freed the POWs and subsequent escape sequence, and the propeller bomb ships were insane. Not to mention the tactile feeling of the mass of Red Skulls big V wing ship. This is a fun and quite bombastic HD movie soundtrack. Along with being a fun and entertaining movie to boot.

The guy with 1 outlaw is saying that all our gear isnt good enough...I have 6 15's dude and the house shakes when I watch a good LFE movie and captain america is not a good LFE movie. Maybe you need to learn how to set up your system if you think Thor didn't have any good bass...
post #1549 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooley View Post

don't know how you are coming up with your conclusion of captain america lfe was very week.
Also some of us have spent thousands on setting up are systems along with thousands on gear so you can't say that we need better gear, for example my show room has almost $25,000 just in subs put on wotw hulk ect... And the sound and bass is not even close. Just want to also let you know i can put in a cd that i used when i was iasca world champ and hit 160db easy so i don't think it's my gear.

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpray1983 View Post

the guy with 1 outlaw is saying that all our gear isnt good enough...i have 6 15's dude and the house shakes when i watch a good lfe movie and captain america is not a good lfe movie. Maybe you need to learn how to set up your system if you think thor didn't have any good bass...

+1
post #1550 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 12:59 PM

[quote=Shadowdane;21142582]I picked up the Hubble IMAX BluRay, um WOW is all I gotta say about the Shuttle Lift-Off scene.
/QUOTE]

Wow impressive looking. is that the first (very start of the "movie") or the second of the actual hubble repair mission? Both were impressive to me though the second (repair mission) seemed better.

PSN- Velillen
post #1551 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

The guy with 1 outlaw is saying that all our gear isnt good enough...I have 6 15's dude and the house shakes when I watch a good LFE movie and captain america is not a good LFE movie. Maybe you need to learn how to set up your system if you think Thor didn't have any good bass...

Lol, I knew this guy was gonna get burn big time.

post #1552 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

Well Timmy, you don't mind me calling you Timmy? you seem like a Timmy.

Wow, I guess i'd better toss out my C-807 Jamos/ dual HSU 15Hs then.
post #1553 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 02:58 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooley View Post

Don't know how you are coming up with your conclusion of Captain America LFE was very week.
Also some of us have spent thousands on setting up are systems along with thousands on gear so you can't say that we need better gear, for example my show room has almost $25,000 just in subs put on WotW Hulk ECT... and the sound and bass is not even close. Just want to also let you know I can put in a cd that I used when I was Iasca world champ and hit 160db easy so I don't think it's my gear.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

Well Timmy, you don't mind me calling you Timmy? you seem like a Timmy.

^This, seriously? How old are you?

Wow..how ridiculous. All the big money rollers in here with $20,000+ HT systems getting defensive and overly sensitive about one persons opinion that doesn't happen to correspond with your own. Hmm...Therefore, I get this spew of indignant responses. Seriously, folks. It's just an opinion. Deal with it. It's all subjective. Don't let it rattle your cage. Not a big deal. I don't necessarily agree with several opinionated posts I've read in this thread, but I didn't go off on rant about. In fact, I typically just read it and move onto the next post.
post #1554 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 03:41 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
^ I don't even have a subwoofer. I just yell "BOOM!" for the family when I see an explosion. Subs are WAY overrated. Saved me a couple grand that I got to spend on hookers and booze.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #1555 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post

^ I don't even have a subwoofer. I just yell "BOOM!" for the family when I see an explosion. Subs are WAY overrated. Saved me a couple grand that I got to spend on hookers and booze.

Throw in an eight ball and it sounds like a Charlie Sheen party!
post #1556 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I won't believe yelling "Boom" is effective until I see measurements.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #1557 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by velillen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowdane View Post

I picked up the Hubble IMAX BluRay, um WOW is all I gotta say about the Shuttle Lift-Off scene.

Wow impressive looking. is that the first (very start of the "movie") or the second of the actual hubble repair mission? Both were impressive to me though the second (repair mission) seemed better.

It was the 2nd launch for the repair mission.
post #1558 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 04:45 PM

The best thing about this thread is that while opinions are a matter of taste (disagreement is fine), quantity of bass is something that is backed by measurements that get posted. You really can't argue with them. If the bass is there, it's there.
post #1559 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 05:02 PM
sb1
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I won't believe yelling "Boom" is effective until I see measurements.

I had my vocal chords covered in Unobtanium. I can hit 2hz @ 147db when I have some phlegm.

Stephen.

Chances are very good that I was drinking when I posted the above.

post #1560 of 17411 Old 10-29-2011, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^This, seriously? How old are you?

Wow..how ridiculous. All the big money rollers in here with $20,000+ HT systems getting defensive and overly sensitive about one persons opinion that doesn't happen to correspond with your own. Hmm...Therefore, I get this spew of indignant responses. Seriously, folks. It's just an opinion. Deal with it. It's all subjective. Don't let it rattle your cage. Not a big deal. I don't necessarily agree with several opinionated posts I've read in this thread, but I didn't go off on rant about. In fact, I typically just read it and move onto the next post.

We just don't want you spreading false information so someone who doesn't know isn't confused.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page