The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 520 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #15571 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 12:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

At least y'all know how to handle it. 3" of snow shut down atlanta stranding people on the interstates for almost 24hrs. All they had to do was start treating the roads early am and we'd have been fine, but nooooo. They'd rather save a few bucks just in case nothing happened.

What shut down Atlanta was the ice, not the snow.

And the "all they had to do" isn't really relevant when central Georgia lacks the equipment to go out and salt all of the roads ahead of time. Which makes sense (not having 'enough'), because it would only be needed for a couple of days, then not really needed possibly for years.

The correct solution was for people to stay home. We all had access to the forecast. Everybody knew what was expected. But everybody decided to go to work, go to school, go to the mall, whatever...and then when the forecasted weather hit, everybody went OH ****, time to go home, all at the same time.

Frankly, if you want to point fingers, point at every person who got stuck in it for being out there in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

My wife and I were laughing for two days straight as the news continued to pour in on how Atlanta was more or less paralyzed due to 3" of snow. The pics of stranded cars was unbelievable!! smile.gif

Sorry for derailing the thread for several posts....now we can return to normal broadcasting!
...it wasn't because of snow. It was because of ice. Very bad ice. 

I grew up maybe 20 miles from Lake Michigan, and lived in Indiana until I was maybe 23. We also have family in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan, among other northern states, that we visited in the winter. I am quite familiar with snow, nice, winter weather, etc.

It's not like a dusting of snow shuts the city down. You can think that all you want, and you can laugh at people out of your own ignorance, but just be aware...you are only showing your ignorance of the topic...among other things.

Down here they don't have the equipment to deal with it, because it very rarely happens, and just isn't worth the investment. 

The roads also do different things than they do up there. It had been very cold prior to that, below 10*, so the ground was unusually cold. Then it got warm and sunny. Then it rained. Then it got cold again...while the ground was still cold...and rained. It was liquid water on the surface of the streets...then as the sun went down and the cold front came through it all froze slick as snot. It's the kind of situation that just plain doesn't happen up your area. I know. (My brother lived in Duluth, MN, for awhile while going to school there).

It's just different, and equating it to "3" of snow shut down Atlanta"...is just plain wrong.

FWIW we were fine. We were smart. We stayed home and sat on the couch watching it on TV.

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #15572 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I lived in Oklahoma for a while and I can still remember them closing schools for black ice lol!!

Back on topic...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15573 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 698
When I was stationed in Memphis in the 80's, the town shut down with an inch of snow. The only plow in the county was on the base.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #15574 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

Down here they don't have the equipment to deal with it, because it very rarely happens, and just isn't worth the investment. 

The roads also do different things than they do up there. It had been very cold prior to that, below 10*, so the ground was unusually cold. Then it got warm and sunny. Then it rained. Then it got cold again...while the ground was still cold...and rained. It was liquid water on the surface of the streets...then as the sun went down and the cold front came through it all froze slick as snot. It's the kind of situation that just plain doesn't happen up your area. I know. (My brother lived in Duluth, MN, for awhile while going to school there).

It's just different, and equating it to "3" of snow shut down Atlanta"...is just plain wrong.

FWIW we were fine. We were smart. We stayed home and sat on the couch watching it on TV.

First of all, I never meant to offend anyone from Atlanta. I realize your circumstances there (with the lack of equipment for dealing with ice/snow and the icy road conditions which prevailed), but from our vantage point it was still humorous for we deal with events like that periodically and it's just another day up in the Northland. I'm glad to see you had the common sense to stay home.

Quite frankly, we have our *fools* up here that will still venture out in a raging blizzard with white-out conditions and icy roads....they find themselves stranded in some ditch and then call 911 for the State Troopers to come and rescue them. We laugh at them too for being so foolish (unless, of course, they find themselves unable to call for help and they pay the ultimate price...that's no laughing matter).
Farley1 likes this.

Pioneer Kuro Elite PRO-151FD....Pioneer Elite BDP-05....Onkyo TX-NR717

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #15575 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

the frozen bass is OK...little disappointing to me...you can tell its not a deep digging film (deepest it goes is 24hz)

I thought it was better than just OK, for when the "Snow/Ice Monster" was romping around it was heard and felt with authority in my theater room (in spite of the fact that it may have only been, at its deepest, 24Hz).

Cambridge Soundworks MC305 Fronts & Center...Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance Surrounds....SVS PC12-NSD
post #15576 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 698
I got my DTS disc today. To me, it seems like it was recorded hot. I didn't break out my meter. Has anyone measured the disc levels?

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #15577 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 433
Sorry for spurring so much OT, folks, but many of us seem to have spring fever. smile.gif Good thing we had our HTs over the winter, right? smile.gif Not a whole lot else to do on those deep wintry nights.

Toe,

Good times, man. Temps here have been golden, with our only "winter" (lows below 20F) lasting for ~2wks. Since then (middle of December), it's been 50s-70s during the day, and you know it's sunny! This really is the land of enchantment in so many ways, but I miss the serious winters in the upper Midwest - mostly for the snow and deep freezes. I love playing and driving in it!

I make it up there to Denver pretty frequently, so we should get together sometime for a hike 'n brew. Planning to go see a show at Red Rocks in April.

These NM "hills" aren't too small, though, as we got elevated yesterday and hit la cumbre above 11k. It's enough to make me short of breath! Big fan of the 14Ks up around Ouray and Crestone, and the lakes up at Taos.

Mongo171,

Yesterday it was the Jemez, which is prolly my favorite little-known place in NM. It's a mini grand canyon, right next to a supervolcano caldera, directly connected to the top secrets of underground Los Alamos, with desert and alpine cliffs, and gorgeous natural hot springs. I just wish it got a little more moisture, but the whole state could use more. The tourists can all stay in CO. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

Quite frankly, we have our *fools* up here that will still venture out in a raging blizzard with white-out conditions and icy roads....they find themselves stranded in some ditch and then call 911 for the State Troopers to come and rescue them. We laugh at them too for being so foolish (unless, of course, they find themselves unable to call for help and they pay the ultimate price...that's no laughing matter).

I'm prolly a fool. I kinda like that 50mph breeze whipping the snow to 100% white-out conditions late at night on those straight roads in the upper Midwest. I took many trips out in those conditions, white knuckling the interstates at 75MPH...it's like racing crashes - you just have faith and keep on truckin'.
Toe likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15578 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

I'm prolly a fool. I kinda like that 50mph breeze whipping the snow to 100% white-out conditions late at night on those straight roads in the upper Midwest. I took many trips out in those conditions, white knuckling the interstates at 75MPH...it's like racing crashes - you just have faith and keep on truckin'.

Time for me to confess....I, too, was once a FOOL...in my youth...when I actually thought I was invincible. I had a girlfriend, who is now my wife, that lived in the next town 25 miles away and there were numerous storms/blizzards that I traveled in to see her, and sometimes I was in a condition where my judgment was impaired as well. It's truly a miracle that I made it through those times unscathed! wink.gif
nube likes this.

post #15579 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 03:07 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View PostFinally watched Gravity in 3D over the weekend. Found the film a bit boring, but liked the 3D presentation and the soundstage. Wouldn't demo it or watch it again though.

Yes I heard it was a major sleeper except when you hear Sandra moaning and breathing heavily....... I wonder when they recorded that?

I am expecting it from Netflix, won't be buying this any time soon maybe in the discount frenzy in November at $9.99

My humble Cinema
post #15580 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

What shut down Atlanta was the ice, not the snow.

And the "all they had to do" isn't really relevant when central Georgia lacks the equipment to go out and salt all of the roads ahead of time. Which makes sense (not having 'enough'), because it would only be needed for a couple of days, then not really needed possibly for years.

The correct solution was for people to stay home. We all had access to the forecast. Everybody knew what was expected. But everybody decided to go to work, go to school, go to the mall, whatever...and then when the forecasted weather hit, everybody went OH ****, time to go home, all at the same time.

Frankly, if you want to point fingers, point at every person who got stuck in it for being out there in the first place.

As if everybody who was on the road was there by choice. My wife's a teacher and had to go to work because the school board didn't cancel school. All of a sudden, they decide to close and "come get your kids." Lots of them get stuck just trying to get their kids and get home before it got too bad. Too late, everybody left within the same 30min time span and the giant traffic jam was the result.
It would not have been as bad if they had treated the roads or done ANYTHING. They have the capability (though not like the northern states), you saw it two weeks later during the ice storm that caused minimal disruption because they were proactive and did what they were supposed to to avoid another local and national debacle (it IS election year😉). You're right that the resources are more limited and it was a perfect storm of cluster**** with the freezing temps etc, but it wasn't an impossible scenario.
Minus a three year stint in CO, I've lived here in atlanta all my life. With the exception of the last ice storm, it's always the same story when the Devil's Dandruff (thanks SNL) starts falling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djoberg View Post

First of all, I never meant to offend anyone from Atlanta. I realize your circumstances there (with the lack of equipment for dealing with ice/snow and the icy road conditions which prevailed), but from our vantage point it was still humorous for we deal with events like that periodically and it's just another day up in the Northland. I'm glad to see you had the common sense to stay home.

Didn't offend me, we're used to this foolishness⛄️
post #15581 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 03:19 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View PostIt has to be noted that Gravity has some of the best recorded-- highly dynamic moaning of any movie to ever come out of Hollywood.

Any speclab captures of Sandy B's best work?

Yes it won best sound at the Oscar whoaaaaaaa...........

My humble Cinema
post #15582 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 03:59 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 437
Nube,

Very cool about you making it out to Denver at times! cool.gif Shoot me a PM in April before you come out for your show (who are you seeing?) or another time when you make it out in the summer and let's try and hook up for a hike. cool.gif I start a new job next Mon which will eat up my M-F, but weekends I will always be free!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #15583 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Will do, Toe. smile.gif

Are there any good bass movies out recently? I've watched and/or measured several that haven't made the cut, such as 12 Years A Slave, Cold Comes the Night, Inside Llewyn Davis, Enemies Closer, American Hustle, The Wolf of Wall Street. Nothing really noteworthy, although American Hustle is a very solid film. Anything coming up to look forward to, now that we know The Hobbit 2 and 47 Ronin aren't great? Any requests?

post #15584 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 08:41 PM

Liked: 11

XMEN!!!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acRHWnfZAE

sorry had to get that off my chest. anyway on the wolverine movie that released last year how well do your subs handle the atomic bomb explosion in the beginning of the movie. i had a single pb2000 and it would bottom out on that scene. now have 2 and it evens out but im wondering how it sounds wiuth a stronger sub

post #15585 of 17903 Old 03-24-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post

XMEN!!!!!!!!

sorry had to get that off my chest. anyway on the wolverine movie that released last year how well do your subs handle the atomic bomb explosion in the beginning of the movie. i had a single pb2000 and it would bottom out on that scene. now have 2 and it evens out but im wondering how it sounds wiuth a stronger sub

Atomic bomb explosion is insane for me. Just shakes the whole house. Just plain crazy. And still have lots of headroom. Never heard mines bottom out yet.
post #15586 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Atomic bomb explosion is insane for me. Just shakes the whole house. Just plain crazy. And still have lots of headroom. Never heard mines bottom out yet.

Atomic bomb was good but the movie didn't hold much in the way of great bass moments IIRC. No sign of bottoming out my subs. biggrin.gif

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #15587 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloneranger View Post

XMEN!!!!!!!!

That scene is neither deep nor too terribly intense, and your pb2000 has lots of protection to keep it from bottoming out, so I'm betting what you heard was the signal getting clipped somewhere in your chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

For those who requested it, here's the graph of the Hiroshima Nuke Explosion at the beginning of The Wolverine (Unleashed Extended Edition):

Really not a bad scene. Though it's centered around 30Hz, it's long and fairly demanding.

post #15588 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Finally watched the entirety of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Much better movie than the first, but man, what an anemic track. Sigh. It's slightly better than the first, (but so is a syndicated episode of Barney & Friends, so take that for what it's worth wink.gif) if only because of the scenes where Smaug is speaking. Still, so much lost opportunity.
Darren Thompson likes this.
post #15589 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Is Lone survivor a potential bass movie?
post #15590 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Is Lone survivor a potential bass movie?

Potentially, yes. I'll let you know this weekend if someone doesn't beat me to it.
post #15591 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 08:15 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks maybe I was pushing my single pb2000 too hard at the time...duals definitely way to go
post #15592 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Finally watched the entirety of Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug. Much better movie than the first, but man, what an anemic track. Sigh. It's slightly better than the first, (but so is a syndicated episode of Barney & Friends, so take that for what it's worth wink.gif) if only because of the scenes where Smaug is speaking. Still, so much lost opportunity.

Just signed up after reading this thread for what seems like years & really enjoying it & hope I can join in the fun :)  wth718 I watched Smaug couple of nights ago & like you found it very poor in the bass department :(

There was a couple of moments when Smaug knocked things over where I thought it was going to go low But Nope :( His voice was the highlight & a few very brief moments when gandalf had a magic fight with the Necromancer. Still very poor though :(

post #15593 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 10:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamEmperor View Post

Just signed up after reading this thread for what seems like years & really enjoying it & hope I can join in the fun smile.gif  wth718 I watched Smaug couple of nights ago & like you found it very poor in the bass department frown.gif
There was a couple of moments when Smaug knocked things over where I thought it was going to go low But Nope frown.gif His voice was the highlight & a few very brief moments when gandalf had a magic fight with the Necromancer. Still very poor though frown.gif

Welcome out of the shadows! smile.gif
post #15594 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 10:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post

Welcome out of the shadows! smile.gif

Thank You :)

What is more depressing is the 2 movies I watched before smaug was Odd Thomas & John dies at the end & both blew it away in the bass department. Just crazy Does Peter Jackson know his Hobbit movies are being strangled of ULF lol

post #15595 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

Thank You smile.gif

What is more depressing is the 2 movies I watched before smaug was Odd Thomas & John dies at the end & both blew it away in the bass department. Just crazy Does Peter Jackson know his Hobbit movies are being strangled of ULF lol

It sure has a ton of ULF but not ELF biggrin.gif semantics haha

I don't remember much about the mix but I thought the film was still enjoyable overall when I saw it in theaters

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #15596 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank You smile.gif

I saw Odd Thomas and agree. Yet to see John Dies, though. Will check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I don't remember much about the mix but I thought the film was still enjoyable overall when I saw it in theaters

Much better film than the first, IMO. I was thoroughly bored during the first and have had no desire to watch it again (except for the excellent video quality).
post #15597 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:

G'dammit...

I've been fighting using the term ELF for about a year now... I thought it would eventually just go away, but I guess it's here to stay.

For some reason "Ultra" sounds more significant than "Extreme"...IMO.

Plus I pride myself on being a ULFtard... Who want's to be an ELFtard?

I might have to log into wiki and change everything around...lol

post #15598 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

G'dammit...

I've been fighting using the term ELF for about a year now... I thought it would eventually just go away, but I guess it's here to stay.

ELFtard doesn't sound too bad haha. Relates to the hobbit!
Scott Simonian likes this.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #15599 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 11:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 807
Quote:

G'dammit...

Yeah, really. Hop to it, man! biggrin.gif

Quote:

ELFtard doesn't sound too bad haha. Relates to the hobbit!

It's pretty obvious that if you enjoyed the bass in the Hobbit then you will be labeled an 'ELFtard'. tongue.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #15600 of 17903 Old 03-25-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

Quote:

G'dammit...

Wiki has it right. Extremely low frequency (ELF) waves are electromagnetic radiation (radio waves) with frequencies from 3 to 30 Hz. When you listen to audio, you do not listen to radio waves.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page