The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 535 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16021 of 17368 Old 04-11-2014, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Ray77085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

I am dying for a new god bass movie frown.gif haven't seen one for months.

True !! So true !!
Ray77085 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16022 of 17368 Old 04-11-2014, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jlpowell84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 3,885
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Definitely a love it or hate it film. I thought it was a blast.

Yea, I think we got that one the same week. I like it but you have to watch and not critique it or be critical. Allow it to be what it is. Really you should watch all movies that way and you will enjoy them more. Except Getaway, that script was sooooooo terrible...
jlpowell84 is offline  
post #16023 of 17368 Old 04-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Yea, I think we got that one the same week. I like it but you have to watch and not critique it or be critical. Allow it to be what it is. Really you should watch all movies that way and you will enjoy them more. Except Getaway, that script was sooooooo terrible...

I agree on Frankenstein's army. I couldn't help but laugh and think how the next personsoldierinvention thing was going to look like. But Getaway all I could think of was "Alvin" from the chipmunks. tongue.gif
BCRSS is online now  
post #16024 of 17368 Old 04-11-2014, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
To add some optimism to the thread, I saw that the Godzilla has the sound designer from World War Z. I hope we can expect some more grenade style bass scenes.
javanpohl is online now  
post #16025 of 17368 Old 04-11-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Oh, and any info on the Game of Thrones "The Climb" episode, where the ice falls away? It seemed to make my subs struggle a bit.
javanpohl is online now  
post #16026 of 17368 Old 04-11-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
wth718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 854
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

To add some optimism to the thread, I saw that the Godzilla has the sound designer from World War Z. I hope we can expect some more grenade style bass scenes.

Meh, that doesn't exactly leave me giddy with anticipation. World War Z was a good bass flick, certainly not great. It had a STEEP filter at 15Hz and the grenade scene was 2 seconds out of the whole movie. If that ginormous creature is stomping around and creating the mayhem I see in the trailers, there certainly shouldn't be a cutoff at 15Hz. We can hope for the best, though.
wth718 is online now  
post #16027 of 17368 Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 312
I'd take 15 over the 20, 30 or 40hz filters lately!
audiofan1 and spidey.joe80 like this.
ambesolman is offline  
post #16028 of 17368 Old 04-11-2014, 08:46 PM
Member
 
spidey.joe80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Honestly I think we should all consider ourselves lucky if godzilla goes to "only" 15hz.
Also, Last Days on Mars is pretty good. It has significant content to 5hz, and while its not loaded with bass it is used quite well. I actually posted about this one a while back but since it went under the radar here are some more graphs.





nube likes this.
spidey.joe80 is online now  
post #16029 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 08:44 AM
Okv
Member
 
Okv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Aalesund, Norway
Posts: 139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post

Oh, and any info on the Game of Thrones "The Climb" episode, where the ice falls away? It seemed to make my subs struggle a bit.

Content down to at least 10hz, strong level down to at least 15hz, peaks at 122dB.
Sounds great.

But much of it is centered around 40-50hz, causing it to sound like rumble instead of an ice wall collapsing while you climb it.
That is a shame, and takes away from the experience, but even so this is better than many movies.

Game of Thrones has many scenes with good sound and also nice bass.
It is not so much the big ones like Blackwater that stands out - it is doors closing, dragons flapping around, the horses, all kinds of smaller, subtle effects and occasionally some larger ones.

Like the dragons - a very good demo scene, it is loud and deep and very dynamic.
javanpohl likes this.
Okv is offline  
post #16030 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Member
 
digler84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 65

So I recently watched Percy Jackson/lightning thief and i was awesome for overall sound as well as room shaking bass.  So based on that, plus the fact that my kids loved the first one and the books, I bought the second one, sea of monsters.  To me, the entire movie sounded completely muted and dull!  Has anyone else thought this?  Granted, the scene at the end with Cronos was pretty cool, but so many other areas of the movie,  both bass and mids/highs that just came across like there was a blanket over all the speakers.  WTF?

digler84 is offline  
post #16031 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cchunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,139
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post

So I recently watched Percy Jackson/lightning thief and i was awesome for overall sound as well as room shaking bass.  So based on that, plus the fact that my kids loved the first one and the books, I bought the second one, sea of monsters.  To me, the entire movie sounded completely muted and dull!  Has anyone else thought this?  Granted, the scene at the end with Cronos was pretty cool, but so many other areas of the movie,  both bass and mids/highs that just came across like there was a blanket over all the speakers.  WTF?
Sea of Monsters wasn't nearly as good as Lightning Thief as far as bass goes but the ending with Kronos I thought was very intense. Overall I liked both movies.
audiofan1 likes this.

Denon AVR 3312
Klipsch RF-7II's, RC-64II, RS-62II's
SVS SB13 Ultra
Sony BDP-S790, PS3
Panamax 5300PM
Samsung UN60F7100 3D LED
cchunter is online now  
post #16032 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,933
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Walking with dinosaurs. Great low bass!! Bad film. Nice to look at and listen to. Just don't pay attention to the dialog lol

Spinning hobbit 2 tonight. Only because I love the story. Not for the bass

Panasonic 65VT30 | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | Emotiva XSP-1 | Emotiva DC-1 | PSB imagine B's |PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp
my HT gallery: http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?u=240707

Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #16033 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Farley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia, United States
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160

Watched Kung Fu Panda today. Pretty good movie, pretty decent bass throughout. Wouldn't call anything demo worthy, but it was a well done little animated/kids movie. I'll keep it at the top of my daughter's stack along with Finding Nemo.


Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

Farley1 is offline  
post #16034 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 3,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 248

The skadoosh scene is demo worthy I think.

Mrkazador is offline  
post #16035 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

Watched Kung Fu Panda today. Pretty good movie, pretty decent bass throughout. Wouldn't call anything demo worthy, but it was a well done little animated/kids movie. I'll keep it at the top of my daughter's stack along with Finding Nemo.

Ranks high on my demo list , if bass had looks this would be a 10 biggrin.gif
audiofan1 is offline  
post #16036 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Walking with dinosaurs. Great low bass!! Bad film. Nice to look at and listen to. Just don't pay attention to the dialog lol

Spinning hobbit 2 tonight. Only because I love the story. Not for the bass

Watched Hobbit 2 last night, great flick for fans !
audiofan1 is offline  
post #16037 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
McStyvie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 877
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

The skadoosh scene is demo worthy I think.

This
McStyvie is online now  
post #16038 of 17368 Old 04-12-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Oh, thanks for the reminder, audiofan1! smile.gif

I forgot I had measured The Book Thief because I still haven't watched it. Here are the measurements. It's probably not a bass movie, or at least I'm not expecting much because it's very steeply filtered at 20Hz and has low levels, but huge dynamics!

The dynamics on the few bass scenes here are prime cut eek.gif Even filtered at 20hz "The Book Thief" use of dynamics coupled with that 20hz is capable of making a five star bass movie whip its head around at the sheer visceral room shuttering and pounding it produced cool.gif

While not a lot of bass content, the overall mix was first rate and a great movie to take in wink.gif
audiofan1 is offline  
post #16039 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 03:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,976
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Umm! yeah?? This might be better than I previously thought and looks awesome :cool

:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6acRHWnfZAE
audiofan1 is offline  
post #16040 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 AM
Senior Member
 
AJ72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Ranks high on my demo list , if bass had looks this would be a 10 biggrin.gif

Claudia Schiffer or Elle McPherson?
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post

So I recently watched Percy Jackson/lightning thief and i was awesome for overall sound as well as room shaking bass.  So based on that, plus the fact that my kids loved the first one and the books, I bought the second one, sea of monsters.  To me, the entire movie sounded completely muted and dull!  Has anyone else thought this?  Granted, the scene at the end with Cronos was pretty cool, but so many other areas of the movie,  both bass and mids/highs that just came across like there was a blanket over all the speakers.  WTF?

This is unfortunately true. The end scene is pretty decent but that's about it.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
AJ72 is online now  
post #16041 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JChin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesquite Tx
Posts: 8,423
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 122
FYI, Olympus Has Fallen Blu-ray/DVD Combo - Used Like New at Amazon Warehouse $1.89 (F/S with Prime).
JChin is offline  
post #16042 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Torqdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Umm! yeah?? This might be better than I previously thought and looks awesome :cool

:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6acRHWnfZAE
Yep! And considering how X-Men First Class was a first class bluray release as far as ULF is concerned, we can only hope for the same with this offering once it's released later this year.
Thanks for the heads up. smile.gif
audiofan1 likes this.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Torqdog is offline  
post #16043 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Member
 
digler84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Umm! yeah?? This might be better than I previously thought and looks awesome :cool

:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6acRHWnfZAE

When i saw the first trailer i wasn't overly excited.  They had already screwed up the time-line in the other movies, and now they are throwing time travel in to possibly screw it up more....and on top of that at first it looked like they changed the actors(which i really hate).  Further reviews have me pretty interested for sure.  FWIW, when i first saw first class, i was so bothered by the time-line issues, that I decided I really didn't care for the movie (marvel nut, btw).  It wasn't until I re-watched it on blu (saw it in theater, just recently bought on blu) because of the tag of bass monster on here that i started to enjoy the storyline and characters too.  great flick, and incredible audio for sure!  

audiofan1 likes this.
digler84 is offline  
post #16044 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 10:41 AM
Senior Member
 
BCRSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 205
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Just watched Iron Sky

Not a bass monster but had some good rumbling going on throughout the movie. I thought it was pretty funny. Anyone else see this movie?
BCRSS is online now  
post #16045 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 AM
Senior Member
 
Farley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia, United States
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

FYI, Olympus Has Fallen Blu-ray/DVD Combo - Used Like New at Amazon Warehouse $1.89 (F/S with Prime).

I'm not seeing that. Lowest I see is $6.92 +$3.99 shipping

 

Link?


Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

Farley1 is offline  
post #16046 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 12:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Ray77085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 490
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

I'm not seeing that. Lowest I see is $6.92 +$3.99 shipping

Link?

Already EXPIRED if it ever existed !!!

http://www.dealsofamerica.com/Olympus-Has-Fallen-Two-Disc-Combo--Blu-ray--DVD-Used/266825.htm
Ray77085 is offline  
post #16047 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM
Member
 
WayneJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Watched about half of FotR theatrical today, bass is so much better than either Hobbit movie. The bass was easily felt with my system volume down to -20.

I think it is the first time I've watched since upgrading my sub (BIC Accoustech PL-200 upgraded from a Polk PSW 110).
WayneJoy is online now  
post #16048 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Farley1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia, United States
Posts: 473
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post

Watched about half of FotR theatrical today, bass is so much better than either Hobbit movie. The bass was easily felt with my system volume down to -20.

I think it is the first time I've watched since upgrading my sub (BIC Accoustech PL-200 upgraded from a Polk PSW 110).

What is FotR?


Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

Farley1 is offline  
post #16049 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Member
 
WayneJoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Fellowship of the Ring
WayneJoy is online now  
post #16050 of 17368 Old 04-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
javanpohl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post

Content down to at least 10hz, strong level down to at least 15hz, peaks at 122dB.
Sounds great.

But much of it is centered around 40-50hz, causing it to sound like rumble instead of an ice wall collapsing while you climb it.
That is a shame, and takes away from the experience, but even so this is better than many movies.

Game of Thrones has many scenes with good sound and also nice bass.
It is not so much the big ones like Blackwater that stands out - it is doors closing, dragons flapping around, the horses, all kinds of smaller, subtle effects and occasionally some larger ones.

Like the dragons - a very good demo scene, it is loud and deep and very dynamic.
Glad it's not just me, I think the sound on the GoT discs is amazing. Maybe not in terms of dynamics and bass but the soundfield, the sense of space and direction, the panning, and the clarity is about the best I've ever experienced in my system. And they look absolutely amazing too.
javanpohl is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread

    Thread Tools
    Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page


    Forum Jump: 

    Posting Rules  
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off