The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 553 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16561 of 17704 Old 05-16-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

Both are good bass movies....If that's all your getting them for.

Pompeii is a movie you would skip the story line just to get to the bass scenes lol............then again Im sure most of the ppl in this thread do that even with the good storyline movies lol.

How much of the story would you have to skip? I wouldn't want to buy it if I have to sit through a boring storyline with the action only being the last 25mins of the movie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16562 of 17704 Old 05-16-2014, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Are the recommended movies that are available to stream through netflix offer the same ULF effect or does netflix compress the audio too much?
post #16563 of 17704 Old 05-16-2014, 04:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by teckademic View Post

How much of the story would you have to skip? I wouldn't want to buy it if I have to sit through a boring storyline with the action only being the last 25mins of the movie.

It's not that bad, I'm a big fan of Jon Snow (kit Harington) and jack Bauer (kiefer Sutherland ) even though the script did not help them in this movie I thought it was ok. Be your own judge smile.gif.
post #16564 of 17704 Old 05-16-2014, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

We all need to not take his reviews or any for that matter so seriously, I know I'm not. I think Ralph's reviews are fun and insightful. We could argue all day about specs and what not but this is the Master Bass thread and we are all passionate about bass here so cheers!!

If the dude being discussed who is doing the reviews has PB13's as I saw mentioned, then his subwoofers are perfectly adequate to do a subjective rating on the LFE or ULF or whatever we choose to call it.  If he is solid down to 15 Hz or so, he is qualified to discuss 99.9% of what matters in LFE, as well as covering a similar percentage of subwoofer owner/home theater enthusiasts capabilities as well.  If a movie is filtered at 30-40Hz, he is going to notice a huge lack of LFE with PB13's, and by the same token notice effectively all but an extremely minor and comparatively insubstantial bit of extension.

Tom Grooms likes this.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #16565 of 17704 Old 05-16-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

You guys are making me want to visit my new cineplex again ( I've only been once for PR) to see this in Atmos on an 87ft screen biggrin.gif

I seen Brave in Atmos and it was an incredible experience.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16566 of 17704 Old 05-16-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post

If the dude being discussed who is doing the reviews has PB13's as I saw mentioned, then his subwoofers are perfectly adequate to do a subjective rating on the LFE or ULF or whatever we choose to call it.  If he is solid down to 15 Hz or so, he is qualified to discuss 99.9% of what matters in LFE, as well as covering a similar percentage of subwoofer owner/home theater enthusiasts capabilities as well.  If a movie is filtered at 30-40Hz, he is going to notice a huge lack of LFE with PB13's, and by the same token notice effectively all but an extremely minor and comparatively insubstantial bit of extension.
I'm over arguing over extension. I see you post in other threads and your beginning to sound like a broken record. We all have our preferences. Being flat to 15hz or whether or not he is or not (no graphs of his room) may be enough for your preferences and that's ok. Others want to reproduce what's entirely on the recording and if you visit Data Bass you'll find it's on more movies than you'd think . I want this and is why I'm bout to start on a DIY sub project.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16567 of 17704 Old 05-16-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 662

No I'm just saying people were talking like his system is not capable enough to subjectively comment on LFE.  I figured he must have had a Bose Acoustimass or something.  If he has PB ultras he has enough capability to get 99% of the effect to be gotten from LFE for 99% of the people.  So I just don't agree that he is not qualified to comment on it, thats all.  Single digit extension and capability is a high priority for some and that's perfectly fine.

AVR:       Yamaha RXV-375

Display:  Panasonic  TH-50PC77U

LCR:       Hsu HB1.2  HC1.2

Sub:       (2) PSA XV15se

Blu Ray:  Sony BDP-S5100

Apple TV

Harmony 650

miniDSP

post #16568 of 17704 Old 05-16-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Ralph indeed has a fine system.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16569 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 66
The same argument keeps resurfacing and developing into a mexican stand off in this thread. You know the one about getting the whole frequency range or not. Usually someone stokes the fire saying that ELF, low teens, single digits is not worth the chase. Understandably the broadside gets a response and a divide is created. Personally I think the two different stand points (lets call them Ported vs Sealed to simplify) make for an interesting contrast on peoples reviews. Not necessarily is one better than the other (I know this in itself is a provocative statement) but inevitably sides are taken.. Respect that there are differences. ELF is real not a myth. Ported subs sound awesome within their frequency range too. Come on we can coexist surely!
Reddig likes this.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #16570 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post

If the last version was DD +, the lossless format will have more dynamic range. DD + is a lossy track than was compressed and fit into a smaller bandwidth.

9 is a great film all around and in the bass department. It is worth buying and putting into your collection.

I just cancelled my rental of 9 and ordered it on amazon. Thanks for the recommendation.

Unwrapped my copy of 9 last night and WOW WOW WOW!
So happy I blind bought this one! Not only was the bass phenomenal but the overall sound mix and film were too. Even the video was excellent with perfect black levels. Also one of the better uses of the 16:9 AR I've seen.
post #16571 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Get with the program, fellas. Many of you are pulling out your soapboxes to preach your opinion about something entirely different than what I pointed out. Please stop.

The discussion is not, I repeat, is NOT over whether Ralph Potts can subjectively rate LFE. It's about there being no point to his unscored extension rating/category because he doesn't have the capability to know how far the bass in a movie extends. That category serves no purpose, has no point, etc. When you have a system that rolls off at or around 20Hz, how can you differentiate between releases, since almost all recent action/thriller movies have extension somewhere in the 20-30Hz range. And, that's why his subjective ratings of extension are frequently just flat-out wrong.

If there was really merit to the category (or his system's extension allowing for a good foundation for subjective impressions of extension below 20Hz), logically he'd either consistently underscore or overscore the extension rating because his system is constant. He does not. Go compare his ratings to the measured extension of a movie, look at their PvA graphs, and see that his rating shows no consistency with the known extension and content peaks of a movie.

I think, therefore, that his addition and movement of that category to unrated likely was a reaction to the new measurements allowing people to know (and want to know) the extension of a movie, and that his subjective impressions are likely bassed (sic) on other factors, such as perceived levels and dynamics, which vary from movie to movie. He often talks about "shaking the room" and stuff in it, so he's probably most impressed by the frequencies from 25-35Hz which excite those modes the most. As an example, he gives Gravity a 5 and Pompeii a 3. rolleyes.gif

He can rate what he wants, as he's a paid reviewer, and it's all well and good for him to subjectively score the LFE category as a whole, but, given his equipment limitations and ratings inconsistencies (and incorrectness), I don't see any point to that unscored extension category.
GPBURNS, Reddig, JWagstaff and 1 others like this.
post #16572 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 08:18 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 416
"Get with the program?" rolleyes.gif

"The point" Nube has already been explained to you. Why does it matter? Like I told the other poster I responded too, if you don't have any use for what Ralph is doing, don't read it and don't worry about it. Some of us like myself DO enjoy and find value in it. I don't get your soapbox here bud. rolleyes.gif Its a subjective opinion with his gear and room, and MANY of us enjoy reading about his experience even though it is not objective. I use the same subs as Ralph, so I find value in reading his opinion (I don't always agree with it) because it commonly gives me a good idea of what to expect.

For a much more objective perspective, we have the excellent data-bass. Nobody is forcing you to read Ralph's reviews, so just ignore them if they serve no purpose for you while those of us who do enjoy them will continue to do so. wink.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #16573 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
If you talk about Ralph on this thread for some reason you get jumped on. I don't get it.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #16574 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

If you talk about Ralph on this thread for some reason you get jumped on. I don't get it.

I think part of it is because you can just as easily go into one of his threads and post your complaints instead of the classless act of doing it behind his back. That's the way I see it at least. Why bash him or how he chooses to do reviews here when you can bring up your concerns to HIM in one of his threads?
Tom C, audiofan1 and Reddig like this.

post #16575 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 67

ok, on a lighter subject in regards to movies and such......i have a question about concert blurays.  it seems like when i play them that they can only go so loud, then it seems no matter how loud i turn them up it doesn't sound much different.  is this normal?   i checked the drc in my bluray player, it is set to wide which in the manual it says is for essentially no compression.  i have checked my receiver countless times and no compression or night feature activated.  any thoughts gents?  i have a sony bdp350s and an onkyo 805 reciever.  speakers are plenty capable as well.  it doesn't seem to do this on movies either, just concert blu's.   

post #16576 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I think part of it is because you can just as easily go into one of his threads and post your complaints instead of the classless act of doing it behind his back. That's the way I see it at least. Why bash him or how he chooses to do reviews here when you can bring up your concerns to HIM in one of his threads?

I appreciate/like Ralph's reviews but just because Nube disagrees with how Ralph handles part of his review does not mean he is bashing him in an underhanded way.  I do not get that from Nube's comments at all.

Either way Ralph, as a paid critic himself, should be able to handle a little bit of criticism thrown his way without emotionally breaking down.

post #16577 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 369
For the record Ralph doesn't emotionally break down and can handle criticism, his fans are not him. Nube makes good and valid points. Ralph clearly tried to bridge the gap though. I think he could drop the extension line and be just fine focusing on lfe overall.
post #16578 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:

For the record Ralph doesn't emotionally break down and can handle criticism, his fans are not him. Nube makes good and valid points. Ralph clearly tried to bridge the gap though. I think he could drop the extension line and be just fine focusing on lfe overall.

Sorry, I may not have been clear.  I was trying to say that I think Ralph, being a professional, is probably quite capable of handling any critisism thrown at him.  I did not mean to imply he is currently breaking down over this.

post #16579 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Behind his back? You're over thinking this bro not that deep.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #16580 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I couldn't give a rat's behind about Ralph (whoever he is) nor his fan-boys. This is an OPEN forum. If I don't agree with what an expert is stating then I'll post my opinion, wrong or right as it may be, and I'll either be supported or thrashed or both. Hey... maybe I'll lern sumthin'!!biggrin.gif I'm sorry someone stubbed your Toe. Get over it it.wink.gif

EDIT: When I was 12 years old I tried to protect my big brother's good name (he was 16). I nearly got my a$$ kicked by a bunch of big older drugged-out hooligans. I ran my a$$ off and survived. I don't regret my action but I prolly wooda thot twice about doin' that again.biggrin.gif
post #16581 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Are there measurements for iFrankenstein?
Thanks

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #16582 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars View Post

I couldn't give a rat's behind about Ralph (whoever he is) nor his fan-boys. This is an OPEN forum. If I don't agree with what an expert is stating then I'll post my opinion, wrong or right as it may be, and I'll either be supported or thrashed or both. Hey... maybe I'll lern sumthin'!!biggrin.gif I'm sorry someone stubbed your Toe. Get over it it.wink.gif

EDIT: When I was 12 years old I tried to protect my big brother's good name (he was 16). I nearly got my a$$ kicked by a bunch of big older drugged-out hooligans. I ran my a$$ off and survived. I don't regret my action but I prolly wooda thot twice about doin' that again.biggrin.gif

From your comments you are taking this to another level, who gives a rat's a$$ (using your own words) to what happen to you when you was born? I don't have a problem with Nube's comments about Ralph reviews even though he could have also posted it in Ralph's review to get a respond but I guess is not that serious and he is looking for it. I read Ralph's reviews to get his opinion on movies (film & video & audio) not bass, and I don't believe most people who read his reviews care that much about the subs he's using.

Serious bassheads come to this thread to read measurements and comments from Nube & co who do a very good job reviewing the bass in movies and not Ralph's subjective statement on bass in movies.
Reddig and Boxozaxu like this.
post #16583 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Just calling it how I see it boys. You dont agree, so be it. I don't see any reason you can't bring up complaints to Ralph himself, that's all, and if you can't do that for whatever reason and need to do it here that's your choice obviously.
audiofan1 likes this.

post #16584 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 503

This is kind of making me laugh. This same argument took place back in November regarding Ralph and his reviews and it went on for a few pages. Obviously nothing was accomplished back then and nothing will be accomplished now. So we might just as well agree to disagree and get back to talking about movies. 

Ray77085 likes this.
post #16585 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Greetings,

On another note I just finished watching Pompeii and my subjective opionion is bass was pretty solid. VTF-15 just in case anybody wants to know smile.gif.

Regards,
post #16586 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars View Post

My whole point flew right over your head, but thanks for the pointless story.

post #16587 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Hi Guys,

I am wondering why Bolt is 3 1/2 stars? Is it because things are toned down after the first 15 minutes?

Have anyone heard the song La La La by Naughty Boy ft. Sam Smith in 5.1ch? It has a very smooth and deep bass througout which I seldom get to hear in music videos these days.. I am sure Bass lovers will like it.smile.gif

Blu-ray : 340
post #16588 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unwrapped my copy of 9 last night and WOW WOW WOW!
So happy I blind bought this one! Not only was the bass phenomenal but the overall sound mix and film were too. Even the video was excellent with perfect black levels. Also one of the better uses of the 16:9 AR I've seen.
For sure I own it too and just love it. Great movie and great presentation.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16589 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
rolleyes.gif First World problems .........again.

Can the Mods please clean this mess up.

Thanks.

V.X.Donique
Sensory Sciences
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/t/627113/diy-subwoofer-section
post #16590 of 17704 Old 05-17-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post

rolleyes.gif First World problems .........again.

Can the Mods please clean this mess up.

Thanks.

I think the thread cleaned it's mess up already smile.gif. Back to bass movies.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page