The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 559 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16741 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 08:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey.joe80 View Post

Ok for a little clarification. First I apologize for being so vague, the topic isnt entirely legit. Also the Elysium copy I graphed may not have been an “offical screener”. All I know is that it was a pre-release copy with hardcoded asian subtitles. It is my opinion that the bass heavy copies I have been graphing are modified from the original source. I dont know how or why these copies have came into being I am just reporting that they exist.
This isnt true of the normalizer on MPC-HT. It boost yes but, not equally. For example in the Jack Reacher graphs 60hz get no boost with normalizer on yet 10hz gets more than 15db.
For the record I used the normalizer for the Jack Reacher graphs only. The differences are real.
Can you explain how “real rebassing” would differ from the graphs I posted? I first heard about rebassing on the db masterlist but there was very little information on the matter.
I would never deceive people by consciously posting false data. Im not that kind of person. The speclab setting are identical for the graphs.
Also if it is clipped its not obvious Immortals style clipping.

At the very least someone needs to compile these rebassed scenes to a demo disc...
hmmm anyone know of an open source video editor? smile.gif

OK, what media player are you using?..........and how do I activate this "Normalizer mode"??....I want to test it out...please share! lol

I think it will come in handy when I watch The Hobbit movies LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16742 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinnEars View Post

RE Redbox discs having modified audio: How in the world would having modified/neutered hard media be cost-effective to Redbox? That would cost them tons of money for zero gain. I'm not accusing anyone of anything but are we sure this isn't a consumer perception issue... or hearsay? I'm sure they probably stock the cheapest versions of whatever they rent but that's not having custom pressings made. That would be completely senseless... though other US corporations do many senseless things.rolleyes.gif

I think the studios give them the blu rays for free, so they give them ones that aren't as good as ones you can buy.
post #16743 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

I think the studios give them the blu rays for free, so they give them ones that aren't as good as ones you can buy.

I'm pretty sure that Red Box actually does buy the discs, just at a heavily discounted rate. By contract they have to take whatever discs are given to them. So Red Box can't ignore the discs from the studio and go out and buy retail versions instead.
post #16744 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Not saying this is the case with this particular movie file, but I have heard from an industry insider that there is a disc/edition that's made for awards such as the oscars and academys that has to stricly have the theatrical audio mix on it (and not a remixed nearfield edition) for review/voting. This made sense to me since they were reviewing movies in their theatrical presentations.
Could be a new special academy edition they could sell to enthusiasts with capable systems

We'd all complain of double dipping. Of course I'd still go buy it biggrin.gif
post #16745 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 10:23 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:

Where is the evidence to support this? Again, besides the few Lionsgate exceptions, the A/V is identical with Redbox and Netflix vs what you get when you buy. Rental discs may not have all the extras of the retail versions, but audio and video is the same. If there is some sort of evidence to support otherwise, I'm sure all of us would like to see it.
audiofan1 and TinnEars like this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #16746 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Quote:

Where is the evidence to support this? Again, besides the few Lionsgate exceptions, the A/V is identical with Redbox and Netflix vs what you get when you buy. Rental discs may not have all the extras of the retail versions, but audio and video is the same. If there is some sort of evidence to support otherwise, I'm sure all of us would like to see it.

Yes, this would be excellent factual information to have.smile.gif Why would the studios produce a bass-neutered set of discs just for the rental folks? So few renters have the systems capable of reproducing anything below 30Hz nor are there enough who care (percentage wise) that this would have nearly zero impact on the sales market. Why would the studios go to that extra expense for nearly zero gain? It would be far more economical for them just to sell the basic commercial discs without rental-specific authoring/pressing.

SIDE NOTE BUT WORTH CONSIDERATION: I worked for the AMMEDDC&S (Army Medical Department Center & School) for several years doing graphics and authoring for distance learning projects. I can't count on both hands how many times I pointed out the completely illogical following of nonsensical information and learning strategies, some of which had been proven wrong for decades. I didn't need a PHD to see the absolute idiocy as a whole... and the absolute absence of common sense and critical thinking. I was proven right every - single - time... and was hated for it. After all, why would a lowly GS9 ever question the knowledge and logic of GS15 Department Heads, Colonels and Generals? I grew so sick of the laziness, stupidity and apathy that I eventually walked out to never return.

EDIT: ^^^ The point is... we all are guilty of repeating nonsense. It happens to the best of us.
Toe likes this.
post #16747 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

I don't know, that's why I said "I think". I read some the info in here http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532989/redbox-to-close-over-500-kiosks-this-year/0_50
post #16748 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
The red box discs aren't bass neutered as far as I know, they just use standard dolby digital instead of DTSHDMA. The bass should be pretty much the same.
post #16749 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I just made my kids Metallica fans because Through the Never.
post #16750 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 12:44 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post

The red box discs aren't bass neutered as far as I know, they just use standard dolby digital instead of DTSHDMA. The bass should be pretty much the same.

The only Redbox or Netflix discs that do lossy audio are select Lionsgate. Dont mean to beat this to death, but I feel its important to make that clear. The VAST majority use the exact same A/V as the bought retail copy.

post #16751 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post

The only Redbox or Netflix discs that do lossy audio are select Lionsgate. Dont mean to beat this to death, but I feel its important to make that clear. The VAST majority use the exact same A/V as the bought retail copy.

Not questioning your posts but is there any verification? Again... just just want to know what to avoid.
post #16752 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Not questioning your posts but is there any verification? Again... just just want to know what to avoid.

You will see people mention here and other threads around AVS if a Lionsgate title has lossy audio for the rental version.

post #16753 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:

Yes, this would be excellent factual information to have.smile.gif Why would the studios produce a bass-neutered set of discs just for the rental folks? So few renters have the systems capable of reproducing anything below 30Hz nor are there enough who care (percentage wise) that this would have nearly zero impact on the sales market. Why would the studios go to that extra expense for nearly zero gain? It would be far more economical for them just to sell the basic commercial discs without rental-specific authoring/pressing.

SIDE NOTE BUT WORTH CONSIDERATION: I worked for the AMMEDDC&S (Army Medical Department Center & School) for several years doing graphics and authoring for distance learning projects. I can't count on both hands how many times I pointed out the completely illogical following of nonsensical information and learning strategies, some of which had been proven wrong for decades. I didn't need a PHD to see the absolute idiocy as a whole... and the absolute absence of common sense and critical thinking. I was proven right every - single - time... and was hated for it. After all, why would a lowly GS9 ever question the knowledge and logic of GS15 Department Heads, Colonels and Generals? I grew so sick of the laziness, stupidity and apathy that I eventually walked out to never return.

EDIT: ^^^ The point is... we all are guilty of repeating nonsense. It happens to the best of us.

So did they change anything after you pointed it out? Guessing no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bori View Post

I just made my kids Metallica fans because Through the Never.

Just bought this along with hellboy 2 and Pompeii. Won't get to watch til next week😕
post #16754 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post

Sometimes a really good dessert is just enough for me cool.gif

Is that like a quickie like the WWZ grenade scene?

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #16755 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

What's everyone watching for the Memorial Day weekend ?

I got Day Breakers & Pompeii up for viewing and may throw in LOTR (great for long weekends) to top it all off and make up for bad scripts and casting, I had planed to go see Godzilla but may just stay in and kick back, bump the sub and crank it up to 11 o'clock biggrin.gif

Cooking some barbecue and watching Terminator Salvation, Doom and Twister.
audiofan1 likes this.

Just a fella who loves good sound.
post #16756 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

RE Redbox discs having modified audio: How in the world would having modified/neutered hard media be cost-effective to Redbox? That would cost them tons of money for zero gain. I'm not accusing anyone of anything but are we sure this isn't a consumer perception issue... or hearsay? I'm sure they probably stock the cheapest versions of whatever they rent but that's not having custom pressings made. That would be completely senseless... though other US corporations do many senseless things.rolleyes.gif

Good point !!!biggrin.gif

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #16757 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:

That's allot of free blu rays considering from an article on AVS I read today that there are some 36,000 Red Box Kiosks out there.

Scott did an article on Red Box's and they may be near extinction.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1532989/redbox-to-close-over-500-kiosks-this-year
post #16758 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

Quote:

So did they change anything after you pointed it out? Guessing no?

Yes, they usually did... but did so in their own slow time while making said changes appear as though they were their own ideas. Anything that made them appear as completely incompetent boobs they implemented changes very quietly and under the radar. "General-ly" speaking... no one even cared to notice... or at least they dared not mention it.
post #16759 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 05:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzpozitive View Post

Pompeii (Sony) from Netflix is lossy

Not my copy. I have it here from Netflix and just popped it in after reading your post. 5.1 DTS-MA.

post #16760 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzpozitive View Post

Srange...I just got it this week and its Dolby Digital 5.1

Checked the Netflix website and that's what it says also.

Blu-ray details

Screen Formats

Widescreen Anamorphic 1.85:1

Closed captioned

Closed captioned

Language and sound

English: Dolby Digital 5.1

NEVER trust the Netflix website for technical details. Not only do they have the audio wrong in the description you listed above, but the aspect ratio as well since Pompeii is 2.40:1

Are you sure you did not get the dvd on accident?

post #16761 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

it's totally possible you had a bad copy of pompeii from redbox, they are known to have filtered/neutered audio tracks on their rentals.

Just finished watching Pompeii from redbox and I can assure nothing was neautered as the bass was plenty loud. Some discs from redbox will have a disclaimer that you are watching a "rental" version of the movie, but yet, special features will be available with losless audio, so not really sure what exactly is a "rental" version.
post #16762 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Ive been experimenting with the retail copy of Elysium and the normalizer function on MPC_HC seeing if i can reproduce the rebass effect. At first I thought Ii was the same, but at second glance it is quite different.

Retail with normalizer on/off

Retail Normalizer off: 5hz is 11db down from 20hz on Peak graph
Retail Normalizer on: 5hz is 11db down from 20hz on Peak graph

Retail vs Rebassed/Boosted

Rebassed: 5hz is down 1db from 20hz on Peak graph

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

I was going to do some testing, but I found that the MPC HC normalizer function is not available for standard DVD / Bluray sources. Only video sources can be manipulated.

That being said, there is a major boost in full band audio level when the normalizer is turned on. Not sure what happens to the LFE channel because I have no source material to test. The factory normalizer setting is 400%, but what was your normalizer set to?

Since your format is not DVD nor Bluray, I take everything that you show with a grain of salt.

For the normalized graphs i just turn the function on. These are my settings

post #16763 of 19031 Old 05-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 160

This is a drive by log in/post. I bought The Conjuring a little while ago....and just finished watching it. Now...I watched it alone, un-distracted, at night, in the mostly-dark, at -18db.

That is hands down the most immersive, freaky, actually scary movie I have ever seen. I don't get scared by movies. I can sometimes be startled, or grossed out, or sad, but scared? No.

This movie scared me. 

At one point in the movie a lightbulb was broken, and I swear to God the only light I had on in the house flickered at that exact moment. 

At another point the bass was off the charts (it did that a lot) and stuff in the movie was being knocked off the wall...family pictures to be exact...and several of our family pictures were knocked off a table in the room by the bass...I jumped out of my skin and my two big dogs both freaked out went on alert and started pacing and looking around which frankly freaked me out, because...well...f--- me.

Another time I swear I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye, in my house, similar to in the movie. **** is creepy man. Obviously the movie got into my head. The massive bass (all I have is a single corner loaded PB-2000) was a pivotal factor in drawing me in. 

Toe, audiofan1, Reddig and 1 others like this.

Samsung PN60F5300, Sony PS3

Denon AVR-X1000

SVS PB-2000

Front-Center-Surround, Pioneer: FS52-C22-FS51

post #16764 of 19031 Old 05-25-2014, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Same for me man, scary movies never do anything for me, but that one is special. Has the hairs on your neck standing up and makes you jump on several occasions. Clap.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Reddig likes this.
post #16765 of 19031 Old 05-25-2014, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1 View Post

This is a drive by log in/post. I bought The Conjuring a little while ago....and just finished watching it. Now...I watched it alone, un-distracted, at night, in the mostly-dark, at -18db.

That is hands down the most immersive, freaky, actually scary movie I have ever seen. I don't get scared by movies. I can sometimes be startled, or grossed out, or sad, but scared? No.

This movie scared me. 

At one point in the movie a lightbulb was broken, and I swear to God the only light I had on in the house flickered at that exact moment. 

At another point the bass was off the charts (it did that a lot) and stuff in the movie was being knocked off the wall...family pictures to be exact...and several of our family pictures were knocked off a table in the room by the bass...I jumped out of my skin and my two big dogs both freaked out went on alert and started pacing and looking around which frankly freaked me out, because...well...f--- me.

Another time I swear I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye, in my house, similar to in the movie. **** is creepy man. Obviously the movie got into my head. The massive bass (all I have is a single corner loaded PB-2000) was a pivotal factor in drawing me in. 

LoL! great post, now go turn on the lights and pet the dogs biggrin.gif
post #16766 of 19031 Old 05-25-2014, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:

This movie scared me. 

Same here. When I was little, I watched The Exorcist. Scared the crap out of me. Then any scary movie after that growing up not scared one bit. Over 30 years later the Conjuring comes out. This time with all our high tech HT equipment. And lots of subwoofage. "Oh look, The Conjuring is a true story". Ha,ha, let's watch it. Let me make some popcorn first. 1 hour in, no ones eating popcorn. Wife, is saying "oh sh!t, oh sh!t, oh sh!t!" through the whole movie. Son, is covering he's ears. I'm glued to the seat, literally holding on with a shocked and freaked out face. Daughter? Well she was the smart one. Locked herself in my bedroom watching Little Mermaid.
Now, I recently found a used BD copy of Exorcism of Emily Rose. Heard it had some serious bass too. And freaky scary. Already 2 months owning the copy and still haven't watched it yet. Can't find anyone to watch it with. I think I'm gonna make a gtg with my friends at my place have a few and pop that title in with out them knowing. smile.gif
post #16767 of 19031 Old 05-25-2014, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

Same here. When I was little, I watched The Exorcist. Scared the crap out of me. Then any scary movie after that growing up not scared one bit. Over 30 years later the Conjuring comes out. This time with all our high tech HT equipment. And lots of subwoofage. "Oh look, The Conjuring is a true story". Ha,ha, let's watch it. Let me make some popcorn first. 1 hour in, no ones eating popcorn. Wife, is saying "oh sh!t, oh sh!t, oh sh!t!" through the whole movie. Son, is covering he's ears. I'm glued to the seat, literally holding on with a shocked and freaked out face. Daughter? Well she was the smart one. Locked herself in my bedroom watching Little Mermaid.
Now, I recently found a used BD copy of Exorcism of Emily Rose. Heard it had some serious bass too. And freaky scary. Already 2 months owning the copy and still haven't watched it yet. Can't find anyone to watch it with. I think I'm gonna make a gtg with my friends at my place have a few and pop that title in with out them knowing. smile.gif

funny thing is that the Exorcist never did scare me as a kid. Only movie to freak me out as a kid was Hellraiser, but other than that, I had a pretty good tolerance towards scary movies. Fast forward to today with lossless audio and great use of bass, I tend to get more creeped out by scary movies nowadays, even if they end up being dumb movies, but the chills for me are created by the audio. The Conjuring and Sinister for me are good examples, even though Sinister got a little dumb at the end, still a fun movie to show for when you want to scare someone.
post #16768 of 19031 Old 05-25-2014, 02:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I love horror movies but when I was a kid the movie that scared me was Trilogy of Terror. That little doll with the knife scared the crap out of me. 😁⊙_⊙
post #16769 of 19031 Old 05-25-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Jeepers Creepers did it for me, that is definitely not my genre

Hear me now, Listen to me later....
post #16770 of 19031 Old 05-25-2014, 06:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

This movie scared me. 

Haha...biggrin.gif That movie made me realize that I had a broken voice coil on one of my HSU subs as I was watching it !! Do you think after watching it for yourself it deserves better than a 3.5 star BASS rating ?
I sure do !! biggrin.gif
I thought it was a "great" scary movie that had some slamming bass hands down.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page