The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 563 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #16861 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

For which movie? I was not as big on Elysium as some as I found the track tilted a bit too much toward the extreme low end and I thought execution was a bit spotty with some weapons sounding wimpy. I had no complaints with Pompeii. cool.gif

I understand exactly what your talking about regarding Elysium , the bass could be considered heavy handed but thats what I liked about it as it didn't require a boost and it was workout for the sub to extract definition from it and balance it with the mix ( a difficult task) and not sound muddy. It seems like Pompeii may have a good sounding balance in contrast. For sure not all bass tracks are the same and a different experience can be had from all good case in point is Frankenstein's Army and Dead in Tombstone not all will like it but those differences are to be appreciated and keeps things fresh.

Thanks smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16862 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I understand exactly what your talking about regarding Elysium , the bass could be considered heavy handed but thats what I liked about it as it didn't require a boost and it was workout for the sub to extract definition from it and balance it with the mix ( a difficult task) and not sound muddy. It seems like Pompeii may have a good sounding balance in contrast. For sure not all bass tracks are the same and a different experience can be had from all good case in point is Frankenstein's Army and Dead in Tombstone not all will like it but those differences are to be appreciated and keeps things fresh.

Thanks smile.gif

I think you will enjoy Pompeii. Report back after you watch. smile.gif

I have I, Frankenstein and the new Hercules coming tom, so hoping those are good.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #16863 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Are we talking another "Elysium" style debate, I finally got my netflix copy in but won't get to view till later this week , are others finding a sub bump necessary (3-6 db) are its just the single digit stuff here were the movie shines. I'll see what if anything I can get from it but I did find Elysium to have excellent bass and a well done soundtrack.

You shouldnt need too. I've always found after calibration Audyssey always sets my sub trims too low. Its a common problem that has always been talked about. Checking it all with omni mic I'm pretty flat.

I reckon give it a try mate!.......there is some extreme ultra low stuff in there....so I can understand why ppl can't hear it wink.gif
post #16864 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post

Redbox BD. Dts-master

I have capable subs/room size I have been a regular on this thread. But as I said so far nothing great. I assume it's towards the end

There was one scene where the ground was crumbling by the shore. But other than that nada

My post#16841 was meant in fun of the previous post above that were posted by other posters !! I rented the Pompeii BD DTS-HD from Redbox and to tell the truth it was not the so called Bass Monster that I was expecting. The Bass was just not there as others state. I will not agree to agree just because others experienced the hidden bass. I'm not going to watch that movie again as there was nothing great about it overall. I would consider it a B movie at best and that's being subjective.
Good luck and I hope you can find the hidden gem. biggrin.gif

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #16865 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 447
post #16866 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 138
^^ what about Jack Ryan? It had some deep loud bass. Movie is pretty good too IMO.
post #16867 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Here's a teaser of something to look forward to next week. Lone Survivor around the 21min mark:

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-104#entry3328

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Get your preorders in!

OMFG nube,

I am presently watching this movie RIGHT NOW and had to stop to come here to post that scene...it is truly unbelievable eek.gif

I going to watch the rest now but WOW to that scene.
To put in perspective...I have a soundproofed approx. 1600cuft dedicated HT Room and am pretty flat to 5hz.
I took my Rat Shack meter and was getting 134DB !!! biggrin.gif

Nobody home...This is my new flagship scene!

Enjoy people
basshead81 likes this.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #16868 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

Here's a teaser of something to look forward to next week. Lone Survivor around the 21min mark:

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/12-the-low-frequency-content-thread-films-games-music-etc/page-104#entry3328

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Get your preorders in!

as if i didn't want lone survivor bad enough already....geez!

i just picked up a couple oldies but goodies....looper, hurt locker, and 3:10 to yuma.   loved all these movies when i rented them, but always forgot to order them along the way.  they were pretty awesome with my single pb10, i cant wait to hear them with my dual xv's!  :D

post #16869 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Just watched Metallica's Through the Never, my first concert bluray. F*****G awesome!!!
bori and Beefwahl like this.
post #16870 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post

My post#16841 was meant in fun of the previous post above that were posted by other posters !! I rented the Pompeii BD DTS-HD from Redbox and to tell the truth it was not the so called Bass Monster that I was expecting. The Bass was just not there as others state. I will not agree to agree just because others experienced the hidden bass. I'm not going to watch that movie again as there was nothing great about it overall. I would consider it a B movie at best and that's being subjective.
Good luck and I hope you can find the hidden gem. biggrin.gif
Agree 100%

While the bass did pick up at the 1:07 mark. It still was not up there with the big boys

Movie fricken blew!!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
post #16871 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would be curious to see a graph of Seal Team 8 if you have access to it by chance. Not sure how deep it dug, but it was a fun LFE fest type of track.
Watching Seal Team 8 behind enemy lines now and it has lots of strong low bass with lots of action. Has anyone had graph for this one? My guest is strong down to teen or even single digit on this one. Check it out, Just awesome. One of my favorite bass movie so far this year.
Toe likes this.
post #16872 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Get your preorders in!

This will be the first time I ever pay over 20 bucks for a movie (where is best preorder?). I usually wait for them to come down...Besides I don't feel bad about supporting this one smile.gif

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #16873 of 19395 Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Get your preorders in!
Just view that 21 mins mark and it was good but not spectacular with my subs. Like BHD Irene scene, my subs cannot produce reference level to single digit to feel that level of energy frown.gif
post #16874 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Non-Stop:

post #16875 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think you will enjoy Pompeii. Report back after you watch. smile.gif

I have I, Frankenstein and the new Hercules coming tom, so hoping those are good.

Yes! I did enjoy Pompeii , its a beast and I will be buying a copy ,its utter lack of teal ( only some green screen) and film like picture were great. Thanks again for your endorsement on the bass, it was dead on .
On a side note check out Day breakers after I Frankenstein (preview in the begining of it) next up for me is Seal Team 8 can't wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post

You shouldnt need too. I've always found after calibration Audyssey always sets my sub trims too low. Its a common problem that has always been talked about. Checking it all with omni mic I'm pretty flat.

I reckon give it a try mate!.......there is some extreme ultra low stuff in there....so I can understand why ppl can't hear it wink.gif
I claim no ability to reproduce single digits with the level as you big boys but after a slight 4db ( post Audyssey correction for bass level) and a volume of -5 to full reference this movie delivered a true 5 star bass experience and it need justify itself to no one and rest squarely head to shoulders with the best out there past and present .
Quote:

Agree 100%

While the bass did pick up at the 1:07 mark. It still was not up there with the big boys

Movie fricken blew!!

Ok so yeah the movie did reach some borderline cheesiness and the wife has took a stance on it and not for the good and commented that it sounded like someone was throwing TNT around the room biggrin.gif

But come on man this one deserves its due, I'm not sure how many movies capitalize on that much bass at all frequencies for that duration, once started it seemed it wouldn't end, it was a violent experience but beautiful the movement of tons of air both positive and negative in the room wink.gif
Toe and buddhamus like this.
post #16876 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 274
I tested Pompei again with my Dual Submersives and it was pretty good I admit. But KS was some seriously cheesy acting...

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #16877 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I tested Pompei again with my Dual Submersives and it was pretty good I admit. But KS was some seriously cheesy acting...

My wife and I got to one part and just had to laugh. Heavy contrast for how much of a 24 fan we are but both couldn't let him slide or cut him any slack biggrin.gif
post #16878 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey.joe80 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post

I was going to do some testing, but I found that the MPC HC normalizer function is not available for standard DVD / Bluray sources. Only video sources can be manipulated.

That being said, there is a major boost in full band audio level when the normalizer is turned on. Not sure what happens to the LFE channel because I have no source material to test. The factory normalizer setting is 400%, but what was your normalizer set to?

Since your format is not DVD nor Bluray, I take everything that you show with a grain of salt.

For the normalized graphs i just turn the function on. These are my settings

I figured out how to get into the MPC HC normalizer function. I am not familiar enough with the program yet. There are three different ways to get into that menu. All the normalizer does is change volume levels so that clipping will not occur during downmixing. With the proper normalizer setting the volume should decrease rather than increase.

You need to update your program. You are missing the normalizer adjustment feature.

Also, how do you feed the Spectrum lab program with content? I use the DVD player build into my PC, and downmix to Spectrumlab.
post #16879 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 03:26 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

You need to update your program. You are missing the normalizer adjustment feature.

Thx, I got the new version. I see the new normalizer settings Il have to check them out.
Quote:

Also, how do you feed the Spectrum lab program with content? I use the DVD player build into my PC, and downmix to Spectrumlab.

For Peak and Average graphs I use wave files. For my other graphs I feed digital audio to my virtual sound card.

Both these methods are direct and roll-off free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follz20 View Post

Non-Stop:

Yup. Non-Stop looks to be a bass monster when its released June 10th.
Here are some captures from the action scenes.

Plenty of bass for everyone.

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), default quality
its phillip likes this.
post #16880 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Not compromising in Pompeii. Maybe I'm too swayed by how bad a movie it was.

But I just didn't get the feeling if wow this is great. Hell I get that from a few scenes in zambezia and walking with dinosaurs and those two moves are also terrible
audiofan1 likes this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

post #16881 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 06:45 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:

Meh, Im pretty happy with my Quads, AJ wink.gif.............I heard the Triax too here in AUS at the last DTV GTG and I wouldnt say that was big jump in performance from a Submersive....I couldnt justify the extra cost for me going the Triax route. Im flat to 10hz................and thats in a room that is wide open to the rest of the house lol.

When are you going to join the Quad club?.....4 x JTR Cap's would rock! biggrin.gif[/

You bet!biggrin.gif
buddhamus likes this.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #16882 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

Quote:

Meh, Im pretty happy with my Quads, AJ wink.gif.............I heard the Triax too here in AUS at the last DTV GTG and I wouldnt say that was big jump in performance from a Submersive....I couldnt justify the extra cost for me going the Triax route. Im flat to 10hz................and thats in a room that is wide open to the rest of the house lol.

When are you going to join the Quad club?.....4 x JTR Cap's would rock! biggrin.gif[/

You bet!biggrin.gif

Would love to hear an Orbit Shifter deliver WWZ grenade scene:D

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #16883 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

Just view that 21 mins mark and it was good but not spectacular with my subs. Like BHD Irene scene, my subs cannot produce reference level to single digit to feel that level of energy frown.gif

What happens during that scene in lone survivor? helicopters flying?
post #16884 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

Perhaps the rise of a new King ? we shall indeed see, the bottom dwellers will chime for sure ( no pun) I just preordered my copy as this seems to be the 2014 champ we've been waiting for wink.gif
post #16885 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

Yeap
post #16886 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post

Would love to hear an Orbit Shifter deliver WWZ grenade scene:D

Imagine 8 of them? LOL!. cool.gif
post #16887 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:

But I just didn't get the feeling if wow this is great. Hell I get that from a few scenes in zambezia and walking with dinosaurs and those two moves are also terrible

Zambezia was cool!......that had awesome bass!. But for me Pompeii killed it!.............my opinion of course! lol. But having watched both on my system, I definetely prefer Pompeii for the bass smile.gif
post #16888 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

That's fair smile.gif

post #16889 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:

That was exactly my feeling on it. Yes, it measures well, but it still isn't something I'll be in any rush to go back and watch for the bass. I dunno what it is. I couldn't bring myself to give it a 5 star on d-b.com. It subjectively (or objectively in some cases) isn't as good as your TIH/WOTW/OHF's. But that's just me.

Quote:

Perhaps the rise of a new King ? we shall indeed see, the bottom dwellers will chime for sure ( no pun) I just preordered my copy as this seems to be the 2014 champ we've been waiting for wink.gif

Definitely not a new King. That scene was ridiculous, but the rest of the movie wasn't as good as that. Overall sound, picture quality, and movie were outstanding, though. Definite buy, for me.
post #16890 of 19395 Old 05-29-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Watching Seal team 8. This is another Hot Fuzz wannabe. Plenty of bass loving it.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page