The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 572 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #17131 of 20971 Old 06-08-2014, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Gonna watch the whole LS movie tomm but I did demo the helicopter scene and it is pretty cool. Very realistic for sure. I can see yours MK how it made such a huge impression. I was actually thinking about all this after the Pompei talk and mixed feelings. That is our opinions will differ from not only what subs we have but also the volume we listen at. For example I listen at -15 in my room and that is as loud as you can stand it. Okay maybe -12. As we know soundtracks fluctuate so thats my range in my room. Reference would be WAAAYY to loud in my small room. But I do run my bass hot and a rising house curve. I Have +5db low shelf from mini dsp, PGM 2 which gives 3db boost below 45ish HZ, and a 4db sub trim bump post Audyssey. So for those who listen at reference and run hot with VERY capable sealed setups they will be impressive over some one has ported setups or like me who have a decent sealed setup but listen below reference. Although my bass may not be too far behind reference levels. But not there I know smile.gif

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17132 of 20971 Old 06-08-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

Gonna watch the whole LS movie tomm but I did demo the helicopter scene and it is pretty cool. Very realistic for sure. I can see yours MK how it made such a huge impression. I was actually thinking about all this after the Pompei talk and mixed feelings. That is our opinions will differ from not only what subs we have but also the volume we listen at. For example I listen at -15 in my room and that is as loud as you can stand it. Okay maybe -12. As we know soundtracks fluctuate so thats my range in my room. Reference would be WAAAYY to loud in my small room. But I do run my bass hot and a rising house curve. I Have +5db low shelf from mini dsp, PGM 2 which gives 3db boost below 45ish HZ, and a 4db sub trim bump post Audyssey. So for those who listen at reference and run hot with VERY capable sealed setups they will be impressive over some one has ported setups or like me who have a decent sealed setup but listen below reference. Although my bass may not be too far behind reference levels. But not there I know smile.gif

Wow Jp that's some serious bass head dedication to pop in what could be a good flick just to see if your rig will do what someone else posted on instead of waiting one day to take it all in biggrin.gif

May have to self spoiler alert yourself biggrin.gif

JK I'm still waiting to pick this one up as I cancelled my preorder last week but noticing a few commercials over the last few days of upcoming releases like Jack Ryan for 12.99 ? what gives are we finally looking at lower Bluray prices?
post #17133 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

You have limiters to protect, no? Meaning if the bass gets too crazy your amp will just limit? I did not realize I was sharing my projector with my bass amp so I will try the amp alone.

MK Theater.. Watched LS today. I too popped the breakers on the heli scene. Twice.. First was 3 of my S2's. Did the scene again and popped all 4 S2 each on a dedicated 20 amp line. Then I just came in this thread and read your post. Wow, that scene must be in the single digits.
post #17134 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Have any of you watched the excursion on your drivers on the heli scene of LS? Last time I seen my drivers dance like that was f@
post #17135 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 01:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not my video but wow I need to get this disk.
post #17136 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 02:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post

Watched Robocop last night… His footsteps, and his gun, were awesome LFE.

Also, The scene in the lobby of the building, with the ED-209 units was also pretty awesome.

Yes indeed !!!
This DTS 5.1 HD track has a really good mix and I was not disappointed !! Had some really good gun fire and I could feel the tactile sensation from the subs when Robo fired his guns !! Overall no slouch in the Bass dept. biggrin.gif

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #17137 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

upcoming releases like Jack Ryan for 12.99 ? what gives are we finally looking at lower Bluray prices?
it's a very good movie IMO with good bass. The explosion toward the end had my couch shaking.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #17138 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pajama sam View Post

I was just wondering if the bassheads in this thread make any use of Audysseys dynamic compression features or leave it off. I would think that the concept of dynamic compression would be antithetical to what people on this thread are looking for, but I'd appreciate a confirmation (or refutation). Thanks!

You shouldn't use dynamic compression unless you're listening quietly as it definitely lowers peaks. I believe dynamic EQ actually raises the bass level a bit so it could be beneficial. Watch with it on and then off at the same volume level and compare.
post #17139 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:

You are misunderstanding volume levels. If you have it calibrated, -15 in your room is 100% identical (volume wise) to any other room in the world if they are also listening at -15. All receiver's calibrate to the same level at a certain listening position. Reference level (0 dB) is identical volume for you and for MK, room has no impact (unless you have not set your receiver up). I think some people find -15 to -10 getting too loud if your speakers are low end/commercial / dome tweeters. You need high efficiency pro theater speakers to really listen loud without distortion.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #17140 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:

You have limiters to protect, no? Meaning if the bass gets too crazy your amp will just limit? I did not realize I was sharing my projector with my bass amp so I will try the amp alone.

Quote:

Huh?
Your subms have limiters in the amp to protect the driver from over excursion. Playing that scene at reference without audible distortion doesn't mean your are appropriately replicating the ulf on the disc because the limiters might be kicking in.
post #17141 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Yes, like the Sub1, look what happens when it gets turned up, it loses all the low end from compression but still playing the mid bass loud. The answer is to add more so the low end can keep up.

NanoAvr to Outlaw 975
amps-5 Adcom GFA-555's mono's, Sanway FP14K
5 JBL 2447 CD, 5 2352 horns, 3 15 inch 2035 for fronts, 2 15 inch 2032 for surrounds
subs-IB SI 18ht x12
post #17142 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post

You shouldn't use dynamic compression unless you're listening quietly as it definitely lowers peaks. I believe dynamic EQ actually raises the bass level a bit so it could be beneficial. Watch with it on and then off at the same volume level and compare.
+1

Audyssey's 'Dynamic EQ' boosts the lower end up at low volumes, so that you can hear the bass while still having the top end quite quiet - it's something to do with equal loudnes curves IIRC but I can't get more technical than that tongue.gif lol

As you turn the volume up, Dynamic EQ boost becomes less and less, until you are at Reference, at which point it is not boosting at all.

(In the AVR you should be able to set the Dynamic EQ level to either 0/Reference, -5, -10, or maybe -15, which is what the Dynamic EQ will use as your 'top volume' and therefore boost up to that point. This means you can use Dynamic EQ but if 0/Reference gives you a bit too much, you can go back into the menus and try a lower setting.)

'Dynamic Volume' is just another way of naming 'dynamic range compression' - the idea being that you can watch a movie late at night with the kids in bed, and rather than having it with full range dynamics like normal, so you have it at, say, -10dB so you can hear someone talking normally but then the bass kicks in and rattles all the doors in the house and wakes the kids up lol, it brings the bass down and the vocals up so they are all the same loudness, so you have a small dynamic range. This means that you can set the volume and not have to turn it down everytime an action sequence comes on!

That's the theory, anyway smile.gif
pajama sam and eljaycanuck like this.
post #17143 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

Ya I had experimented with it before at low volume levels and got tired of it quick. Just sounds unbalanced with too much bass and too hot of surrounds. This was a while back before I upgraded speakers

JBL Pro Cinema
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #17144 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Re. DEQ - and FWIW - these graphs I took recently highlight it pretty well:

1. At reference, the black default curve is closely overlaid by the yellow DEQ curve (subs not hot). The green curve is the subs 6dB hot (no DEQ).

http://coolcrab.com/cal/images/05.jpg (full range)
http://coolcrab.com/cal/images/05a.jpg (zoom in on the subs)

2. At -10dB, the yellow DEQ curve almost overlays the green "subs hot" curve. The difference between DEQ and just running the subs hot is that DEQ boosts levels past the x-cover, tapering them off as the frequencies approach ~200-300Hz.

http://coolcrab.com/cal/images/06.jpg (full range)
http://coolcrab.com/cal/images/06a.jpg (zoom in on the subs)
post #17145 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Re. DEQ (and FWIW), these graphs I took recently highlight it very well:

1. At reference, the black default curve is overlaid by the yellow DEQ curve (subs not hot) essentially exactly. The green curve is the subs 6dB hot (no DEQ).

http://coolcrab.com/cal/images/05.jpg

2. At -10dB, the yellow DEQ curve moves closer to the green "subs hot" curve. The difference between DEQ and just running the subs hot is that DEQ boosts levels past the x-cover, tapering them off as the frequencies approach ~200-300Hz.

http://coolcrab.com/cal/images/06.jpg
eljay, they are awesome Dynamic EQ graphs, thank you very much smile.gif

I am going to link to them over on the UK AVForum (crediting you, of course) if that's ok, as they are a great illustration of how it works! smile.gif
post #17146 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Thanks. I was just supplementing the excellent explanation you provided in your earlier post. cool.gif
post #17147 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Very kind of you to say so! smile.gif
post #17148 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You are misunderstanding volume levels. If you have it calibrated, -15 in your room is 100% identical (volume wise) to any other room in the world if they are also listening at -15. All receiver's calibrate to the same level at a certain listening position. Reference level (0 dB) is identical volume for you and for MK, room has no impact (unless you have not set your receiver up). I think some people find -15 to -10 getting too loud if your speakers are low end/commercial / dome tweeters. You need high efficiency pro theater speakers to really listen loud without distortion.

Yes I understand all speakers and subs are calibrated to same levels. I have JTR Triple 8's up front. I know they are not flagship JTR's but They can play pretty loud without distortion. I don't claim to understand the concept here but it I turned up my 4520's volume to 0db nobody could stand the volume. I know that whether you do manual calibration or use something like Audyssey it will set the speakers to the same levels whether sitting 8ft or 14ft. Perhaps because I use Audyssey and DEQ. I notice that changes things a bit. I have also been in two professionally calibrated rooms last year and both were at -5db and are perceived as the same loudness of my room. anyone care to explain this? I am sure if I visited MK's theater (pun intended) that it would have a very similar perceived loudness

My Setup Thread
post #17149 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I played the 888LP's to reference in room and it was loud and clear. I measured the THD to be 1% and under. There are only a handful of movies that have some scenes that might be considered too loud at reference. EQ and room treatments makes everything smoother and no surprise peaks at unwanted frequencies.

NanoAvr to Outlaw 975
5 JBL 2447 CD, 5 2352 horns, 3 15 inch 2035 for fronts, 2 15 inch 2032 for surrounds
subs-IB SI 18ht x12
post #17150 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:

Yes I understand all speakers and subs are calibrated to same levels. I have JTR Triple 8's up front. I know they are not flagship JTR's but They can play pretty loud without distortion. I don't claim to understand the concept here but it I turned up my 4520's volume to 0db nobody could stand the volume. I know that whether you do manual calibration or use something like Audyssey it will set the speakers to the same levels whether sitting 8ft or 14ft. Perhaps because I use Audyssey and DEQ. I notice that changes things a bit. I have also been in two professionally calibrated rooms last year and both were at -5db and are perceived as the same loudness of my room. anyone care to explain this? I am sure if I visited MK's theater (pun intended) that it would have a very similar perceived loudness

Well I think for most people 0 dB is too loud haha. It's not that bad if you are playing it with no distortion though.
post #17151 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I still think different AVR's and or processor's calibrate differently or their auto EQ sucks and you have peaks for to loud. I have had many different ones and many AVR's with their auto calibrate and EQ's always seem to have their MV 0 dBs too loud. My SC-37 was close and my Sony STR-2800ES was superb at MV 0. Now anytime I manualy tweak the levels whether with DCX or the NanoAVR Master volume 0 dBs is perfect. It is meant to be loud and dynamic but not overbearing unless one is sensitive. This assumes a flat response or HF rolloff though and many auto EQ's do not reproduce a flat response. I am using only the NanoAvr right now and with it's set levels and can watch any movie at reference, some louder than otherwise of course. The room matters too and lots of echo or reflections can sound harsh at loud volumes.
audiofan1 likes this.

NanoAvr to Outlaw 975
subs-IB SI 18ht x12
post #17152 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

I am sorry guys but you have no idea what you are missing! Good and the bad. I just watched Lone Survivor and I have never felt a more realistic helicopter ever. It was in my room! I have 8 20 amp breakers for my high sensitive system and it popped two of them. My screen was literally waving in the wind. Are you guys running reference with a LT boost? I am not kidding, this is my new bass demo! I will demo it just to show the breakers pop! Only movie to do so.
I feel like your system is always changing. What do you have for subs these days?
post #17153 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I have an 8x18 IB system within my baffle wall, same as my pic.

NanoAvr to Outlaw 975
subs-IB SI 18ht x12
post #17154 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

I have an 8x18 IB system within my baffle wall, same as my pic.

out of curiosity...

with so much power behind the screen, does the screen move during high spl scenes?

post #17155 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post

out of curiosity...

with so much power behind the screen, does the screen move during high spl scenes?

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1333462/the-new-master-list-of-bass-in-movies-with-frequency-charts/17100#post_24807976
post #17156 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I still think different AVR's and or processor's calibrate differently or their auto EQ sucks and you have peaks for to loud. I have had many different ones and many AVR's with their auto calibrate and EQ's always seem to have their MV 0 dBs too loud. My SC-37 was close and my Sony STR-2800ES was superb at MV 0. Now anytime I manualy tweak the levels whether with DCX or the NanoAVR Master volume 0 dBs is perfect. It is meant to be loud and dynamic but not overbearing unless one is sensitive. This assumes a flat response or HF rolloff though and many auto EQ's do not reproduce a flat response. I am using only the NanoAvr right now and with it's set levels and can watch any movie at reference, some louder than otherwise of course. The room matters too and lots of echo or reflections can sound harsh at loud volumes.

Interesting. The nano ave does look pretty cool smile.gif I know DEQ does something to the volume as well. I had Audyssey turned of for a bit awhile ago and made it into the single digits watching movies. But back to -15ish or higher with an Audyssey cal again. anyway not sure how it all works. I just know that -15 to -10ish is as loud as anyone here could stand in my room, and that I run my bass hot lol!

My Setup Thread
post #17157 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sorry guys but you have no idea what you are missing! Good and the bad. I just watched Lone Survivor and I have never felt a more realistic helicopter ever. It was in my room! I have 8 20 amp breakers for my high sensitive system and it popped two of them. My screen was literally waving in the wind. Are you guys running reference with a LT boost? I am not kidding, this is my new bass demo! I will demo it just to show the breakers pop! Only movie to do so.

So I played the heli scene again today. This time I turned off the house curve. Went up to -13 on the MV. During the drop scene part, all 4 S2's breakers popped again! lol! But, this time the breakers held on longer. That is just intense. Lfe from the blades just flutters my eardrums. The thumps from the blades just shakes my insides. I was afraid I was gonna get that nauseated feeling again..
post #17158 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

So I played the heli scene again today. This time I turned off the house curve. Went up to -13 on the MV. During the drop scene part, all 4 S2's breakers popped again! lol! But, this time the breakers held on longer. That is just intense. Lfe from the blades just flutters my eardrums. The thumps from the blades just shakes my insides. I was afraid I was gonna get that nauseated feeling again..

That tingle means it's working 😁
post #17159 of 20971 Old 06-09-2014, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I ran the scene again as well and this time turned down the curve 3 dBs per octave. I had a LT boost of 13 dBs at 10 hz and that what set off the breaker. Playing it at reference with subs calibrated flat and LT boost at 10 dBs or about an octave lowering of the F3 was just fine but the screen was moving so much it blurred the image a little(shaky cam effect). You have the same displacement as I do but my room is 1500 cubes.

NanoAvr to Outlaw 975
subs-IB SI 18ht x12
post #17160 of 20971 Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 AM

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post

If you are popping your breakers at -13 it might be time to replace the breakers. I heard they weaken the more they pop.
mo949 likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page