The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 575 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 522
So I went to Imax last night and watched Edge of tomorrow. I liked the movie but now I am unimpressed with the sound as Lone Survivor has ruined me. There was a scene with a helicopter and thought that sucked! Anyways I know every Helicopter scene I see won't be that good but I can hope.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2014, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 69
yea Edge of Tomorrow didn't stand out for sound in the theater - so that means it will be awesome on blu-ray... haha
Old 06-12-2014, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 155
A 15 amp circuit can handle 30 amp for 10-20 sec.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Funny thing is now I have them on 2 different circuits both 15 amp 14/2 line and I have never popped either one of them ever !

Actually went out and checked my box and I have 1 circuit left! So I am actually going to run one more 10/2, 30 amp line and have each sub on it's own dedicated 30 amp circuit. I have 150' of 10/2 wire left over, so it will come in handy for this. I am actually glad I read this. Thanks Nube.

What are you going to plug into that 30 amp 125 volt receptacle?

You might want to research what type of outlet is allowed to be installed on a 30 amp 125 volt circuit. According to my code book 15 amp and 20 amp outlets are not allowed to be installed on a 30 amp circuit. You are required to use 30 amp receptacles on a 30 amp 125 volt circuit.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Palmer_Cass View Post
What are you going to plug into that 30 amp 125 volt receptacle?

You might want to research what type of outlet is allowed to be installed on a 30 amp 125 volt circuit. According to my code book 15 amp and 20 amp outlets are not allowed to be installed on a 30 amp circuit. You are required to use 30 amp receptacles on a 30 amp 125 volt circuit.
It takes all of about 10 minutes to make an adapter.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Think I'm getting to the point where it's not even worth it no more for me chasing those low frequencies bro. It's either create structural damages or electrical damages. I haven't even fixed the crack on the ceiling yet. I've already put a 10hz filter through the dual core. JP, when my speakers arrive, I'm just gonna set them up and aim for a mor balanced sound. No more running hot or house curves. I just wanna enjoy. You know?
Yea totally I am there too. I have toned it down a bit to be "more balanced." I used to have it where if I played the scene from Looper near the end with the kid in the house I had to turn it down to like -30 because it was so ridiculous. But I really enjoy when the subtle things have impact. Like the very beginning of the OHF Washington monument scene. There is a jet that slashes from back left to front right. With a hot house curve the impact and feeling is just amazing! You feel it move through the room. I then "bypass" house curve and meh...So I have been on a journey to basically make all the classic 5 star scenes on the edge of almost unmanageable which in effect allows for all other more subtle content to have impact but doesn't leave me remote scrambling. I really think you toy with your house curve and leave it implemented but just tone it down a bit. I have my sub trim bumped a little and a little house curve. Works great! Prob like 8db hot or so. But music I have to have it like 15 hot to even get impact with the kick drum or other musical bass effects. Just the way it is I think.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
Old 06-13-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
It takes all of about 10 minutes to make an adapter.

It is not legal nor safe to use that adapter, so save the 10 minutes.

Just wondering, what class wiring does your subwoofer power amplifier specify to be used for the audio output wiring? Class 1, class 2 or class 3? The notation is located on the rear of the power amplifier.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It is not legal nor safe to use that adapter, so save the 10 minutes.

Just wondering, what class wiring does your subwoofer power amplifier specify to be used for the audio output wiring? Class 1, class 2 or class 3? The notation is located on the rear of the power amplifier.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

An adapter will not cut it, but it will work. Why not use a 50 amp circuit? More is better right?

At a minimum for safety purposes you also have to change the cord and plug on the equipment in question to 30 amp standards. As a note you void UL approval and warranty of the equipment in question when you make that type of change.

Then again, your amplifiers don't have UL approval so safety (fire in this case) is of no concern to you!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 508
when did 20 amp circuits become not enough!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
An adapter will not cut it, but it will work. Why not use a 50 amp circuit? More is better right?

At a minimum for safety purposes you also have to change the cord and plug on the equipment in question to 30 amp standards. As a note you void UL approval and warranty of the equipment in question when you make that type of change.

Then again, your amplifiers don't have UL approval so safety (fire in this case) is of no concern to you!
Depends on the cord on the equipment. Stranded cords are rated for higher current than solid in wall copper. A properly assembled adapter with the right components isn't going to be dangerous.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Depends on the cord on the equipment. Stranded cords are rated for higher current than solid in wall copper. A properly assembled adapter with the right components isn't going to be dangerous.

Regardless, you still need a 30 amp equipment power cord (AKA 10 AWG) to use that 15 or 20 amp rated equipment on a 30 amp circuit. Even then, that still would be a fire hazard if that assembly was not as designed by the manufacturer.

Like I said, why not just go up to a 50 amp circuit.. Same logic, more power is better!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Regardless, you still need a 30 amp equipment power cord (AKA 10 AWG) to use that 15 or 20 amp rated equipment on a 30 amp circuit. Even then, that still would be a fire hazard if that assembly was not as designed by the manufacturer.

Like I said, why not just go up to a 50 amp circuit.. Same logic, more power is better!
You don't need 10awg power cord to run 30a. 10awg for 30a is for solid in wall wiring.

Second, how does running a 50a circuit help you with the outlet issue.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You don't need 10awg power cord to run 30a. 10awg for 30a is for solid in wall wiring.

Per Table 400-5(A) of NEC, the requirement for flexible cords and cables, 2 conductors powered, the maximum allowable ampacity rating is 30 amps for 10 AWG flexible cord.

For 3 conductors powered (240 Volt line), the maximum allowable ampacity is 25 amps.

Quote:

Second, how does running a 50a circuit help you with the outlet issue.

Same logic as going to a 30 amp line. You will never trip a breaker. Just spend 10 minutes and buy a bigger adapter!
Old 06-13-2014, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Per Table 400-5(A) of NEC, the requirement for flexible cords and cables, 2 conductors powered, the maximum allowable ampacity rating is 30 amps for 10 AWG flexible cord.
I stand corrected.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Thanks for someone who mentioned Max Payne which I just finished watching- ton of deep loud bass. Enjoy the movie too
capricorn kid likes this.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Just watched Metallica's Through the Never, my first concert bluray. F*****G awesome!!!
This 1000X

Just a really impressive sound mix that you can turn up dangerously loud. Not an LFE monster other than the pyro effects. Wish it had been a "concert only" dvd instead of mixing in plot. Regardless, an awesome watch when you really want to cut lose.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by toenail View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Just watched Metallica's Through the Never, my first concert bluray. F*****G awesome!!!
This 1000X

Just a really impressive sound mix that you can turn up dangerously loud. Not an LFE monster other than the pyro effects. Wish it had been a "concert only" dvd instead of mixing in plot. Regardless, an awesome watch when you really want to cut lose.
Loved it.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Finally was able to watch Lone Survivor this evening. Pretty much agree with what's already been said.......killer soundtrack and without a doubt, the best gunfire/combat audio yet. So much so that I would disagree with those who say this is not a reference track. If I'm gonna show someone what realistic combat looks and sounds like, this disc is now my #1 choice.....period. Granted it doesn't have the deep ULF bass that this thread is all about but sometimes ya gots to break away from it once in a while and appreciate a good soundtrack for frequencies beyond the 5 to 120 hz bandwidth.

There was one glaring problem I did have with the flick and it had to do with the screenplay. Early on there was a mention of a rattlesnake and then later in the movie as they are engaged in serious combat, one of the soldiers comes across a rattlesnake in the forest. Rattlesnakes are indigenous to North America ONLY and are NOT found in Afghanistan. Stupid and unnecessary. I still liked the movie a lot and will watch it again.
popalock likes this.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!
Old 06-14-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
Finally was able to watch Lone Survivor this evening. Pretty much agree with what's already been said.......killer soundtrack and without a doubt, the best gunfire/combat audio yet. So much so that I would disagree with those who say this is not a reference track. If I'm gonna show someone what realistic combat looks and sounds like, this disc is now my #1 choice.....period. Granted it doesn't have the deep ULF bass that this thread is all about but sometimes ya gots to break away from it once in a while and appreciate a good soundtrack for frequencies beyond the 5 to 120 hz bandwidth.

There was one glaring problem I did have with the flick and it had to do with the screenplay. Early on there was a mention of a rattlesnake and then later in the movie as they are engaged in serious combat, one of the soldiers comes across a rattlesnake in the forest. Rattlesnakes are indigenous to North America ONLY and are NOT found in Afghanistan. Stupid and unnecessary. I still liked the movie a lot and will watch it again.
I don't know about that not having ULF.
http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...sed/#entry3459

Best chopper audio for me anyway to date. Be careful though. Because 1.. That scene trip my 20 amp breakers. 2.. You might get into a argument with the wife when she finds her painting and picture frame on the wall in the other room on the floor.. 3.. Another recess light housing falls.. 4.. You start thinking that you need yoga classes to help you calm your crave for hot bass. And time to run flat instead cause your tearing things apart!
Old 06-15-2014, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 75
"Finding Nemo" ... WOW !

Great LFE throughout the movie, along with an overall fine soundtrack, and then the "tapping on the fish tank scene" ... what a sound !
A dozen taps in all ...

That scene is right at the beginning of chapter 25, for easy replay ... it sounded incredible from my SVS PC12plus :-)
Click image for larger version

Name:	curious_facts_about_the_finding_nemo_movie_24.gif
Views:	35
Size:	692.0 KB
ID:	118306

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700

Last edited by TomC1315; 06-15-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone experience ULF that you feel like a wave is blowing the top of your hair ever so slightly? I felt it during the OHF monumental scene.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
"Finding Nemo" ... WOW !

Great LFE throughout the movie, along with an overall fine soundtrack, and then the "tapping on the fish tank scene" ... what a sound !
A dozen taps in all ...

That scene is right at the beginning of chapter 25, for easy replay ... it sounded incredible from my SVS PC12plus :-)
Attachment 118306
Aw yes.. The Darla tap..
Old 06-15-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Man I sure do love those gun shot impacts in The LS. very good soundtrack to go with my new Oppo BD103D and the Darbee processing. Great all around experience. And the ultra chopper bass scenes are very realistic and the bass is definitely there for me with my two Submersives (only :/) on a limited circuit. The windows and blind do pulsing effect and my reclining sofa gets a 4d vibration that adds to the realism. Not quite an IB 8x18 but still very nice

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
Old 06-15-2014, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 508
Good gravy! boy did my second watch since its release of Hitman deliver a room energizing experience!The gun shootouts where indeed incredible and the level was insane and as I remember I really liked the movie but this time on the upgraded gear it surely deserves its 4 star rating without question.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Good gravy! boy did my second watch since its release of Hitman deliver a room energizing experience!The gun shootouts where indeed incredible and the level was insane and as I remember I really liked the movie but this time on the upgraded gear it surely deserves its 4 star rating without question.
+1
Old 06-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post
Anyone experience ULF that you feel like a wave is blowing the top of your hair ever so slightly? I felt it during the OHF monumental scene.
Just finished revisiting that movie again today and yes that Bass hits real hard !!! Good movie overall as well.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Well,
Looks like I'm going to add Hitman and Max Payne to the, do watch list !!
Old 06-15-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

In the movies now to watch Edge of Tomorrow. Anyway seen the preview for Into the Storm. Seems like a ULF movie. Fingers crossed..
Old 06-15-2014, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
In the movies now to watch Edge of Tomorrow. Anyway seen the preview for Into the Storm. Seems like a ULF movie. Fingers crossed..
The sound designers for ITS have a great pedigree. They also did Skyfall, and a couple others with great sound, though I can't remember which ones exactly now as I checked it several months ago.

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr