The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 576 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17251 of 17483 Old 06-15-2014, 09:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
In the movies now to watch Edge of Tomorrow. Anyway seen the preview for Into the Storm. Seems like a ULF movie. Fingers crossed..
The sound designers for ITS have a great pedigree. They also did Skyfall, and a couple others with great sound, though I can't remember which ones exactly now as I checked it several months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17252 of 17483 Old 06-15-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
In the movies now to watch Edge of Tomorrow. Anyway seen the preview for Into the Storm. Seems like a ULF movie. Fingers crossed..
The sound designers for ITS have a great pedigree. They also did Skyfall, and a couple others with great sound, though I can't remember which ones exactly now as I checked it several months ago.
Thanks.. I really do hope so. Btw. Just finished EoT. Awesome movie. With all the choppers and gunshots. Only hope the bd version shines. As my local theater I went to sucked in the sound department. I should have spent more to go to the theater with the better sound. I had a awesome Fathers Day. Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers in avs.
post #17253 of 17483 Old 06-16-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
"Finding Nemo" ... WOW !

Great LFE throughout the movie, along with an overall fine soundtrack, and then the "tapping on the fish tank scene" ... what a sound !
A dozen taps in all ...

That scene is right at the beginning of chapter 25, for easy replay ... it sounded incredible from my SVS PC12plus :-)
Attachment 118306
ahhhh, the power of a great LFE moment! how many would have any clue what that little girl's name is if it weren't for that one scene?? that's right....nobody.
post #17254 of 17483 Old 06-16-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
Super excited to get The Lego Movie 3D at midnite!!! Buying snacks even and firing up the popcorn popper.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #17255 of 17483 Old 06-16-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Max Payne was a great revisit , where there any graphs? It and Hitman are peas in a pod and are a must watch for bassheads , so if you haven't this would make a killer double feature .
McStyvie likes this.
post #17256 of 17483 Old 06-16-2014, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Thanks audio, the wife is out of town for four days, I think I will!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #17257 of 17483 Old 06-16-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McStyvie View Post
Thanks audio, the wife is out of town for four days, I think I will!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

One thing I liked was at first it seems the playback level was good around -20 to -15 ( thought it was going to be hot) but I was shocked as I decided to go down to around -10 and as low as -7 the sound remained crystal clear but the room began to pulse and contract from the various bass notes, also noted where the pristine sound effects, where talking metal and glass falling and or hitting the floor with realistic sounding detail. It was a treat to say the least of these two well done soundtracks with eye candy to boot.

Enjoy and post what you find!
post #17258 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
Finally was able to watch Lone Survivor this evening. Pretty much agree with what's already been said.......killer soundtrack and without a doubt, the best gunfire/combat audio yet. So much so that I would disagree with those who say this is not a reference track. If I'm gonna show someone what realistic combat looks and sounds like, this disc is now my #1 choice.....period. Granted it doesn't have the deep ULF bass that this thread is all about but sometimes ya gots to break away from it once in a while and appreciate a good soundtrack for frequencies beyond the 5 to 120 hz bandwidth.

There was one glaring problem I did have with the flick and it had to do with the screenplay. Early on there was a mention of a rattlesnake and then later in the movie as they are engaged in serious combat, one of the soldiers comes across a rattlesnake in the forest. Rattlesnakes are indigenous to North America ONLY and are NOT found in Afghanistan. Stupid and unnecessary. I still liked the movie a lot and will watch it again.
Audio track was incredible! Movie itself envoked some serious emotion for sure.

I spent 2 years in Afghanistan (mostly Bagram) and have traveled to many FOB's via Black Hawk and MRAP to perform site visits on various construction contracts under my purview. Fortunately, I never personally saw combat.

The only thing about the film that had me scratching my head was all of the cover that the seals had in the mountains. Granted, I personally have never made it to the Kunar Province and pictures I've researched do show a considerable amount of trees. However, I have vivid memories of my travels from Bagram and in my experience, the higher you get into the mountains, the less foliage there seemed to be. Also, not sure if this is the case in Kunar specifically, but I remember Afghanistan having the highest densitiy of land mines throughout the country in the world... Anyone that ventured off of a well traveled path was always at risk of losing a limb.

But I digress... Back on topic. Had my LFE boosted about +15db so EVERYTHING had a kick to it...lol

Last edited by popalock; 06-17-2014 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #17259 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 06:48 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

I spent 2 years in Afghanistan (mostly Bagram) and have traveled to many FOB's via Black Hawk and MRAP to perform site visits on various construction contracts under my purview. Fortunately, I never personally saw combat.

The only thing about the film that had me scratching my head was all of the cover that the seals had in the mountains. Granted, I personally have never made it to the Kunar Province and pictures I've researched do show a considerable amount of trees. However, I have vivid memories of my travels from Bagram and in my experience, the higher you get into the mountains, the less foliage there seemed to be. Also, not sure if this is the case un Kunar specifically, but I remember Afghanistan having the highest densitiy of land mines throughout the country in the world... Anyone that ventured off of a well traveled path was always at risk of losing a limb.

But I digress... Back on topic. Had my LFE boosted about +15db so EVERYTHING had a kick to it...lol
Thanks for sharing that experience with us pop, glad you made it back home safe. I'm sure the movie provided a sense of realism that few can appreciate.
+15db I'm surprised you didn't start shooting back lol
post #17260 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwn1 View Post
Anyone experience ULF that you feel like a wave is blowing the top of your hair ever so slightly? I felt it during the OHF monumental scene.
Irene and the Chopper scene in LS are a couple of hair wavers.
post #17261 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Irene and the Chopper scene in LS are a couple of hair wavers.
+1

The FOTP Scene when the plane starts doing a barrel roll is a good one too. I guess it all really depends on what your system is capable of.

post #17262 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 155
The Lego Movie has a fantastic soundtrack! Very good mix with lots of bass all over the place not the lowest but what's there is great. Awesome midbass too. Love this movie and mix!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #17263 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

This is interesting to me, as I cut my output from a set -3 on the subs to all the way down to max cut -15 -- I think if I could have gone reduced more, I might have. All to accommodate the 20 minute mark which I'd read about here. That was the first thing I went to to get set with the sub level.

Isn't anyone concerned about overexcursion? Those lowest frequencies really push the drivers -- I can't really "hear" any rewarding results anyway -- I can see the drivers moving alarmingly, and feel the pressure, but whatever any of that does for me, is in no way worth risking my mucho bucko investment (two S2s). And then, of course the rest of the movie the sub volume is way lower than it should be, just for that one non-thrill. Guess I'm not such a ultra low fan....

Last edited by Emaych; 06-17-2014 at 12:23 PM.
post #17264 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Not a great movie, but Speed 2 has a tremendous about of LFE, especially in the final moments when the ship crashes into the island and the oil tanker explosion.
post #17265 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
This is interesting to me, as I cut my output from a set -3 on the subs to all the way down to max cut -15 -- I think if I could have gone reduced more, I might have. All to accommodate the 20 minute mark which I'd read about here. That was the first thing I went to to get set with the sub level.

Isn't anyone concerned about overexcursion? Those lowest frequencies really push the drivers -- I can't really "hear" any rewarding results anyway -- I can see the drivers moving alarmingly, and feel the pressure, but whatever any of that does for me, is in no way worth risking my mucho bucko investment (two S2s). And then, of course the rest of the movie the sub volume is way lower than it should be, just for that one non-thrill. Guess I'm not such a ultra low fan....
That scene's not at such hot levels that you should fear for your S2. Most folks have protection in place, be it amp limiting, cabinet size air spring limiting, or they just don't run balls to the walls. I would run those badboys full tilt if I were you and never be scurred. Jeff built those things so they're bulletproof.

There are hotter scenes that would be much harder on your subs, such as the OHF Washington Monument scene. Even then, your subs shouldn't break a sweat. Replay the scenes in question at progressively higher levels until either you or they tap out!
popalock likes this.
post #17266 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
That scene's not at such hot levels that you should fear for your S2. Most folks have protection in place, be it amp limiting, cabinet size air spring limiting, or they just don't run balls to the walls. I would run those badboys full tilt if I were you and never be scurred. Jeff built those things so they're bulletproof.

There are hotter scenes that would be much harder on your subs, such as the OHF Washington Monument scene. Even then, your subs shouldn't break a sweat. Replay the scenes in question at progressively higher levels until either you or they tap out!
Well, when I first got them, I put in BHD. Of course I was a little confused about the dial on the back, and had it turned all the way up instead of down (thought I was starting at the lowest level to then work up), and I had the volume way down on the movie, but sure enough, for each pulse of the rotors, the driver maxed -- it didn't sound damaging due to the low volume, and I stopped the movie right away, but just showed me it was more than possible to overstress the capability. It would have been fatal perhaps, with my standard volume.

Now that I figured that dial out, the pulses seem much more controlled, but like I said, lowest freqs not that thrilling to me anyway. Of course I wouldn't limit them if I were free of fear, but doesn't seem like such an enticement that strongly compels the risk.
post #17267 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 665
OK...I have never liked Brad Pitt movies.

Saying that, I flipped on Netflix today and there it was. I remembered someone mentioning the 20 minute mark. So I said what the heck.

I didn't realize that I was wrong with the 20 minute mark. No tossing of nothing. Then, at the 1 hour mark, there it was.

HOLY SHEET!!!

The most amazing part of that sweep was how different parts of my house vibrated as the sweep dropped.

So, I have to admit that it was a good movie. I won't question your suggestions anymore.

Except for Tom Cruise in the ORIGINAL Top Gun. I was in the Navy at that time.
post #17268 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 05:48 PM

Liked: 13
Thumbs up

300: Rise of an Empire 102 minutes of a bassheads delight.
Tons of loud bass.Another great soundtrack of this year.

post #17269 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by osogovo View Post
Saw it dumb movie.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
post #17270 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osogovo View Post
Only for the ported/filtered crowd. It's a 30Hz movie, for the most part, like all other weaksauce action flicks. And it's a TERRIBLE movie. I didn't think they could make a worse movie than the first 300, but they outdid themselves.
post #17271 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 PM

Liked: 66
watched pompeii last night. as others have said, below average movie at best, but it did have some decent rumble. it was like a cheap ripoff of Gladiator (one of my favorite movies), with an exploding volcano and a crappy love story thrown in. the acting was pretty bad too...even keefer. just bad. clearly the highlight of this movie was the LFE from the volcano, but i still felt like there were moments that could have been more powerful than they were. it jsut didn't seem like the amount of rumble matched what was being shown on screen in a few instances. i just expected a top tier bass fest, and it didn't quite meet my expectations. to get to my point, i feel like any scenes with the volcano should have been similar to the pod emerge scene from WOTW, and to me it just didn't live up to that. it's worth a watch just for the rumble, but don't expect much more than that.
post #17272 of 17483 Old 06-17-2014, 09:04 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Only for the ported/filtered crowd. It's a 30Hz movie, for the most part, like all other weaksauce action flicks. And it's a TERRIBLE movie. I didn't think they could make a worse movie than the first 300, but they outdid themselves.
with two sealed ULS-15 in a relatively small room I'm not really ported/filtered crowd.Dumb movie,indeed.Still enjoyed the soundtrack very much.

post #17273 of 17483 Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Holy LEGO movie!! That is one over-the-top soundtrack! While there's bass aplenty, I had a hard time telling how deep it went. At times it sounded like my subs were being brutalized, but at other times, it almost sounded like they were purposefully introducing distortion into the mix, like in Gravity.

Funny thing too... we were watching it for a few minutes and the soundtrack sounded really tame. I kept cranking up the volume and "... meh". Think I realized I had maximum dynamic compression on. Turn it off mid action scene--"WAHBAM!!"

I was pleased to see it was just as awesome the second time around. That is one fun movie.
bumprunlogan likes this.
post #17274 of 17483 Old 06-18-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Data-Bass should be your go-to reference when wondering about how deep a movie went, or how it compares apples-to-apples with other movies. Bookmark it! The Lego Movie was posted yesterday.

Also, we need a few more votes to be tiebreakers on the execution of some movie measurements. Check these out and vote if you've seen them:

Sunshine

Trollhunter

Non-Stop

All the Resident Evils

Thanks!
Bunga99 and bumprunlogan like this.
post #17275 of 17483 Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ nube I got Trollhunter in yesterday on Blu but will have to wait till the weekend to view but rest assured I will vote , I also have a copy of Sunshine on hand ( love the movie and soundtrack but been a while) and will view again to make a fresh subjective assessment
post #17276 of 17483 Old 06-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:

The only thing about the film that had me scratching my head was all of the cover that the seals had in the mountains. Granted, I personally have never made it to the Kunar Province and pictures I've researched do show a considerable amount of trees. However, I have vivid memories of my travels from Bagram and in my experience, the higher you get into the mountains, the less foliage there seemed to be. Also, not sure if this is the case in Kunar specifically, but I remember Afghanistan having the highest densitiy of land mines throughout the country in the world... Anyone that ventured off of a well traveled path was always at risk of losing a limb.

Just rented the movie and it has some pretty incredible bass and powerful helicopter moments. A really brutal film that was done extremely well. It's on my buy list.

And thank you, popalock for your service! Much, much appreciated.
post #17277 of 17483 Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Nick_Fury View Post
I did a little checking. I have a gig connection (muahahah, thanks you EPB) and I know I get best stream rate for Amazon HD, iInterestingly I tried both Master and Commander on Blu-0ray and on Amazon instant HD. Amazon sends PCM the bass actually felt deeper, and lower but the blu-ray disk just felt better for surround little sounds and creaks.....I dunno it was hard to play both exactly the same and decide because of change in volume etc. Would love someone with a better set up to test the difference and see. I have been getting more movies via Amazon Instant for awhile now just due to the convenience of it, it has sounded great, but recently I have gotten a 3d TV and so I have gone back to physical blu-ray disks, and the sound was incredible on say the Hobbit, but just not sure how much difference there is, or if it's just due to this being a more recent film, with better audio etc...May need to check settings on PS3 as well, as that is what I use for playing back both. .
Quoting my old post for a follow up. I used to compare Amazon and my Blu-Ray awhile back. The detail in surround was much better on Blu-Ray, but the Amazon Instant was very comparable. Lately however my movies have just sounded worse....and I mostly watched them through Amazon Instant. So I pulled out my Master and Commander again as I own both the Blu-Ray and the Amazon instant HD, and WOW....just WOW.....Amazon has re compressed or something it is now not even close, the sound has really been degraded. I know this because I used to listen to them back to back again and again comparing it was different but very very close. I did have to increase volume to make it about the same. The bass then actually felt a little deeper just not as rich.....but now....sounds like crap. I'm very upset as I have purchased more then a few movies via Amazon Instant.....but it seems clear they have changed the format with a large loss in sound quality. I have Fibre and a 100+ up and down connection so it's not my connection..... has anyone else noticed this? I feel robbed....I guess I will not be purchasing anything else on instant video.... Hoping it was just something temporary with them, if not I have wasted money purchasing HD content via instant video. Very ticked.

Last edited by Sgt_Nick_Fury; 06-18-2014 at 03:05 PM.
post #17278 of 17483 Old 06-18-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 53
And you have that AVS writer pushing the death of Blu Rays in that article. SMH.
post #17279 of 17483 Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay after freaking out and over reacting, I will admit that upon testing a bit more the main issue was the play back device. Playing back both on same device a PS3....showed them to both be a bit better and more comparable. Part of the issue I guess was the HTPC is not sending info as it should to receiver between the browser and the blu-ray....it did before so maybe that is partially on my end. Driver issue or some headache nonsense I now have to bug hunt. Instant video audio improved massively by playing it via ps3 but with that said..... it is definitely still noticeably inferior on surround sound and the "depth" of positional sound. I may not know the proper technical language here, but the position of 3d sound is on a much much smaller stage to my ears on instant "PCM"; vs the Blu-Ray "DTS HD Master" as it comes up on receiver when they play... However once on the PS3 at least the instant video range is more or less the same and I have my low and high frequencies back. I am not sure what is up with my HTPC, going to guess my last driver update, or a browser update, or heaven knows what. Not happy with my HTPC at all....but I will forgive Amazon for maybe not changing compression, I probably was wrong, it's probably the way it always was, but that is still not as good as the blu-ray.

Last edited by Sgt_Nick_Fury; 06-18-2014 at 04:08 PM.
post #17280 of 17483 Old 06-19-2014, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

No idea why you'd expect a streaming service to be as good as the disc. Most people can't even reliably stream full BR discs across a local, wired network, much less across the intarwebs.

Off topic, In the bought-and-paid-for legislative arena that is the USA, it'll be quite a few years before we're up to providing streaming that is 100% the same as discs. And then, just imagine the net neutrality cries when Netflix or Amazon or somebody else tries to do it and is completely shut down and extorted by the ISP lobby & peering racket.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page