The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 577 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17281 of 19398 Old 06-19-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Off topic, In the bought-and-paid-for legislative arena that is the USA, it'll be quite a few years before we're up to providing streaming that is 100% the same as discs. And then, just imagine the net neutrality cries when Netflix or Amazon or somebody else tries to do it and is completely shut down and extorted by the ISP lobby & peering racket.
I know this is off-topic, but I have a theory that soon we'll all be getting our Internet wirelessly. Cell phone data speeds are evolving far faster than the wired networks are. And some are already faster than fiber. I wouldn't be surprised if we're all setting up our phones as hot spots for our home networks soon. That or having a dedicated hot spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17282 of 19398 Old 06-19-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
I know this is off-topic, but I have a theory that soon we'll all be getting our Internet wirelessly. Cell phone data speeds are evolving far faster than the wired networks are. And some are already faster than fiber. I wouldn't be surprised if we're all setting up our phones as hot spots for our home networks soon. That or having a dedicated hot spot.
LTE is faster than cable for a lot of people, but there are already capacity issues and this is why we have data plans. A home network would chew up the 3-5GB you get a month in a couple days. The future in my opinion is gigabit internet, and I hope more companies start to move in that direction.

Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | BIC F-12
post #17283 of 19398 Old 06-19-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
LTE is faster than cable for a lot of people, but there are already capacity issues and this is why we have data plans. A home network would chew up the 3-5GB you get a month in a couple days. The future in my opinion is gigabit internet, and I hope more companies start to move in that direction.
Capacity is definitely a current problem (in some networks and locations), but the infrastructure is vastly easier to upgrade with wireless than it is with hard-wired systems. Even if everyone's house was already capable of deliver gigabit speeds, for example, when technology moves above and beyond that, eventually new cables are going to have to be installed, either in homes or across the country. Installing a new tower or two is going to be a much more attractive solution than redoing the wiring for 10,000 homes, or however many homes a data tower encompasses.
post #17284 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 07:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
300 Rise of an Empire

I've added a marker to my graphs which represents the max peak achievable. This marker helps give some perspective.

A few loud peaks in this movie. About 10db about the average level. One at 21hz(25min) and 27hz(30seconds). Apart from those, strong extension to 10hz.

Here's what the action scenes look like. The Peak and Average graphs are accurate for each scene.
4-5minutes

44-45minutes

1h1min-1h2min

Good extension to single digits on this scene.

If you've got the headroom turn this one up. Or if you don't, just wait until after 25 min. Its smooth sailing from there.

And here's how it compares to the first 300
post #17285 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
War Horse is freaking amazing.
5 Stars for sure, is not throughout non stop, but what is there is deep and huge.

Unstoppable also worth a watch. Good bass in all train scenes.
Troll Hunter quite good too, but after war horse, both sound pretty lame.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
post #17286 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 537
For the first time ever I watched HTTYD on bluray and at reference levels. I always watched this at -10 and dvd with the kids and what a nice bass experience. One of my top films for bass now.
post #17287 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 147
last night i re-visited iron man 2....dang that thing rocks! i love the movie to begin with, but i didn't remember it rocking as much as it did.
post #17288 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 482
New Robocop was pretty good last night[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #17289 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
For the first time ever I watched HTTYD on bluray and at reference levels. I always watched this at -10 and dvd with the kids and what a nice bass experience. One of my top films for bass now.
Always been a bass favorite of mine, but I have always watched right at reference. Reference 3d as well IMO. We are on our way to see part two right now.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #17290 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Always been a bass favorite of mine, but I have always watched right at reference. Reference 3d as well IMO. We are on our way to see part two right now.
I hope it is good as the first one. Yes the bass flexed my screen a few times!
post #17291 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Greetings,

Enjoy it Todd. We saw it last week and it's every bit as good as the first IMO..

Regards,
Toe likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #17292 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 06:09 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Enjoy it Todd. We saw it last week and it's every bit as good as the first IMO..

Regards,

Great to hear Ralph! We ended up having to see a different movie (Peabody and Sherman which was fun....the kids liked it) since we got our theaters/times mixed up, but we are going to go next weekend. Looking forward to it since I loved the first as well.
Ralph Potts likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #17293 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post
Greetings,

Regards,
I loved the first and I thought HTTYD2 was better!....I wouldn't of thought possible since that was my most favorite animated movie to date.....they did an absolutely phenomenal job on the sequel.

I also saw Randy Thoms name in the creds.....so I got high hopes for the bass/surround soundtrack of this movie.
Ralph Potts and Toe like this.
post #17294 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 06:39 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddhamus View Post
I loved the first and I thought HTTYD2 was better!....I wouldn't of thought possible since that was my most favorite animated movie to date.....they did an absolutely phenomenal job on the sequel.

I also saw Randy Thoms name in the creds.....so I got high hopes for the bass/surround soundtrack of this movie.
Greetings,

We are huge fans of the original as well and agree that they did a terrific job with the sequel. Yeah, I have high hopes for the surround mix when it comes to Blu-ray..

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #17295 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by MKtheater

You have limiters to protect, no? Meaning if the bass gets too crazy your amp will just limit? I did not realize I was sharing my projector with my bass amp so I will try the amp alone.

MK Theater.. Watched LS today. I too popped the breakers on the heli scene. Twice.. First was 3 of my S2's. Did the scene again and popped all 4 S2 each on a dedicated 20 amp line. Then I just came in this thread and read your post. Wow, that scene must be in the single digits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by rhed

So I played the heli scene again today. This time I turned off the house curve. Went up to -13 on the MV. During the drop scene part, all 4 S2's breakers popped again! lol! But, this time the breakers held on longer. That is just intense. Lfe from the blades just flutters my eardrums. The thumps from the blades just shakes my insides. I was afraid I was gonna get that nauseated feeling again..

If you are popping your breakers at -13 it might be time to replace the breakers. I heard they weaken the more they pop.
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by notnyt

This is why I run 30a circuits

Damn.. I hate being wrong! The last time this happened to me was the Irene scene a few months back playing at -9 MV. Same thing popped the breakers. I was concerned about it so I contacted my electrician that installed all my 20amp circuit 2 years ago. He came by the house checked everything. But notice where each of my subs was plugged in he ask what was the specs of the subs amps. So I showed him the specs at speaker powers website. Then he said I should be fine, not unless I'm really using all that power then yea it'll trip. But thing is that he said I could go with 30amp breakers. But I know he wired it with 12 gauge. Ain't that to small? Anyway, Pop told me something similar too. That if the subs are capable, then it takes a lot of power to produce in the low end region. I don't know, maybe I should add filters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by rhed

Damn.. I hate being wrong! The last time this happened to me was the Irene scene a few months back playing at -9 MV. Same thing popped the breakers. I was concerned about it so I contacted my electrician that installed all my 20amp circuit 2 years ago. He came by the house checked everything. But notice where each of my subs was plugged in he ask what was the specs of the subs amps. So I showed him the specs at speaker powers website. Then he said I should be fine, not unless I'm really using all that power then yea it'll trip. But thing is that he said I could go with 30amp breakers. But I know he wired it with 12 gauge. Ain't that to small? Anyway, Pop told me something similar too. That if the subs are capable, then it takes a lot of power to produce in the low end region. I don't know, maybe I should add filters.

While its not code, you can prob get away with swapping the breakers to 30a if you're using 12gauge wire. Understand the risks here, 12g solid wire is not rated for 30a in wall, but if its just quick peaks from subwoofer amps only, you're not likely to ever see an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickdj1 View Post
For piece of mind, get the electrician to put in 10 guage wire.
Quote:
It's the duration that's popping your breakers. You have four amps each trying to pull more current than your breakers can do, and for almost a full minute. As mentioned before, you really need 30A runs to have those S2 live up to their potential on scenes that demand it.

So my electrican came out the other day. And did some work and adjustments with my dedicated curcuits. Anyway to make a long story short, Im a happy camper now. I can run the LS heli scene at -6 MV without my subs popping the breakers. Same with BHD Irene scene. Just flat out crazy with the 4 S2's. Now, just waiting on my new LCR's and 4 surrounds to arrive. Because at that level, my current DT speakers is gassing out..lol
post #17296 of 19398 Old 06-21-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Gave Elysium another spin again this afternoon. This time watched it at -8 MV. All I wanna say is "dang"! Lots of ulf in this movie. Especially the choppers up at Elysium..lol
audiofan1 likes this.
post #17297 of 19398 Old 06-22-2014, 03:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
Gave Elysium another spin again this afternoon. This time watched it at -8 MV. All I wanna say is "dang"! Lots of ulf in this movie. Especially the choppers up at Elysium..lol

Indeed , its one where the louder the playback the greater the experience the mix as a whole is well done as well.
post #17298 of 19398 Old 06-22-2014, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey.joe80 View Post
300 Rise of an Empire

I've added a marker to my graphs which represents the max peak achievable. This marker helps give some perspective.

A few loud peaks in this movie. About 10db about the average level. One at 21hz(25min) and 27hz(30seconds). Apart from those, strong extension to 10hz.

Here's what the action scenes look like. The Peak and Average graphs are accurate for each scene.
4-5minutes

44-45minutes

1h1min-1h2min

Good extension to single digits on this scene.

If you've got the headroom turn this one up. Or if you don't, just wait until after 25 min. Its smooth sailing from there.

And here's how it compares to the first 300

So would you say this is a 5 Star movie for Bass?
post #17299 of 19398 Old 06-22-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Holy LEGO movie!! That is one over-the-top soundtrack! While there's bass aplenty, I had a hard time telling how deep it went. At times it sounded like my subs were being brutalized, but at other times, it almost sounded like they were purposefully introducing distortion into the mix, like in Gravity.

Funny thing too... we were watching it for a few minutes and the soundtrack sounded really tame. I kept cranking up the volume and "... meh". Think I realized I had maximum dynamic compression on. Turn it off mid action scene--"WAHBAM!!"

I was pleased to see it was just as awesome the second time around. That is one fun movie.
I guess I have to watch this one! Watched Lone Survivor with my wife and it will go on the shelf for prob several years. Just a tough movie to watch TBO. I also bought Pulse and finally watched that. After the 7-8 wave of bass my wife gave me the serious look and said, "you better be careful!!!" It was literally rattling the house lol. I did turn it down...briefly...Wasn't a huge fan of the Pulse effect but just because it was beating up my house. Now a more solid structure or concrete basement would have taken away the rattles. It was like a x1000 effect of that guy with the ghetto license plate rattling lol!

A weird side note is the start of TLS I was not getting DTS Master HD, just PLIIX Movie and the others. I powered my Denon 4520 off then on and it showed up. All while the Oppo was playing and said DTS Master HD the whole time. I guess for some reason the Denon didn't recognize it. I have also added wides and heights tomm. Then a single back surround when I get a amp to run it as my Denon 4520 only amplifies 9 channels. I also have this cheap little sub. I picked up a Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 600 set just for the speakers to expand my channels and surround effects. I owned the Pro monitor 1000's as part of my first system and these even smaller versions are literally all I can do in respect to space. Great little speaker though. Anyway I was going to play around with setting the little 8 inch 250 watt pro sub on a HPF and LPF and trying it as a little filler sub or MBM.

PSN ID: Jlpowell84
DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1531107/di...axial-speakers
My Setup Thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...4-s-setup.html
post #17300 of 19398 Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM

Its easy to get caught up in star ratings. But I dont think we should rely on them very heavily. For example just because a movie rates higher or lower than another movie doesn't necessarily mean its better or worse(on either list). I don't think this field has matured enough to really differentiate at that level yet. I think its more important to understand the content contained in the mix and know your system's capabilities/freq response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post
So would you say this is a 5 Star movie for Bass?
I'd say closer to 4.

There does seem to be some filtering going on in 300 but if you ignore the 2 peaks its quite shallow.

post #17301 of 19398 Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM

Higgs boson of bass

higgs boson of bass?
Finding Nemo

This clean version of Nemo has no 5star extension. hmmm
post #17302 of 19398 Old 06-23-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Changes in FFT length and decimate settings can mask or uncover short bursts, depending on which direction you go. Getting the sweet spot is trial and error based on your preferences.

No bass in The Grand Budapest Hotel until the last 30min or so. Pretty fun movie, although ridiculously silly.
post #17303 of 19398 Old 06-23-2014, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Has anyone ever tried using software to raise bass levels on movies with good extension but low levels, or add in extra bass effects where they should be on movies that have aggressive HPFs?

I imagine it would be relatively easy to write a matlab script that adds ULF using an algorithm derived from a few movies with good ULF, and compare the ULF to the 20-80 hz stuff. Wouldn't be able to do it if you use a blu-ray player but anyone with a HTPC would be able to implement software like this.
post #17304 of 19398 Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC1315 View Post
"Finding Nemo" ... WOW !

Great LFE throughout the movie, along with an overall fine soundtrack, and then the "tapping on the fish tank scene" ... what a sound !
A dozen taps in all ...

That scene is right at the beginning of chapter 25, for easy replay ... it sounded incredible from my SVS PC12plus :-)
Attachment 118306
I'm glad you mentioned this, I haven't watched that movie since I got my new subs setup and running. I think I'll need to revisit it.
post #17305 of 19398 Old 06-24-2014, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 43
"Snowpiercer"
Edit: US film festival debut 6/25 monster bass and a fun watch.

Last edited by wpbpete; 06-24-2014 at 05:11 PM.
post #17306 of 19398 Old 06-24-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

post #17307 of 19398 Old 06-24-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post
Has anyone ever tried using software to raise bass levels on movies with good extension but low levels, or add in extra bass effects where they should be on movies that have aggressive HPFs?
There were the 2 rebasses of Elysium and Thor 2 I graphed. In those the whole mix got a level boost but not evenly. The results were an awesome rebass. I'm not convinced the rebassing was intentional but it shows how easily it can be done.

High bandwidth comparison of Thor 2 rebassed vs the filtered retail release.

10db headroom at the peak of 35hz. 15db headroom at 10hz

mmm much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWagstaff View Post
I imagine it would be relatively easy to write a matlab script that adds ULF using an algorithm derived from a few movies with good ULF, and compare the ULF to the 20-80 hz stuff. Wouldn't be able to do it if you use a blu-ray player but anyone with a HTPC would be able to implement software like this.
Yes, once the information is off the disc you can pretty much do whatever you want. You can regain all of that unused headroom at any frequency. I'd like to create a compilation of rebassed movie scenes so more people can experience them, but its a large project to take on by myself. If anyone is interested in working on something like that hit me up in the pm's.

Quote:
Changes in FFT length and decimate settings can mask or uncover short bursts, depending on which direction you go. Getting the sweet spot is trial and error based on your preferences.
I have a feeling that the 0hz dc noise could be an artifact of the ripping process. It slipped my mind about how the fft settings could have an affect as well. Can you show this in graphs with PvA's?
Snowpiercer is scheduled for a June 27 Us release.

Last edited by spidey.joe80; 06-24-2014 at 09:37 PM. Reason: quoting error
post #17308 of 19398 Old 06-24-2014, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

spidey.joe80,

I don't think the DC noise is related to measuring in an all-digital environment. If it was, it'd show up in all (or some predictable subset) of the measurements, and it doesn't. I think, instead, that it's a settings issue as to what SL is looking for, and what duration it's looking across.

As for Snowpiercer, I measured the English track on the Region B Blu-ray some months ago, but won't post it until the actual Region A Blu-ray is released. I can't find a single source that says anything about the North American BR release, but I see many Comicon references to it being in theaters starting this Friday, the 27th of June, 2014. Can you point me to a better/more reliable source?
post #17309 of 19398 Old 06-25-2014, 01:17 AM

Quote:
I don't think the DC noise is related to measuring in an all-digital environment. If it was, it'd show up in all (or some predictable subset) of the measurements, and it doesn't. I think, instead, that it's a settings issue as to what SL is looking for, and what duration it's looking across.
You might be right. But I'm not fully convinced. Id like to try and reproduce the effect myself. What fft and decimate setting do you use to see the transient effects? I'm also curious to see the trade offs the different settings have on various bass scenes. thanks
You are correct about Snowpiercer, there is no bd release date as of yet. June 27th is the theater release.
post #17310 of 19398 Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I went to a different Imax last night to compare Edge of Tommorrw and there are some differences. The rochester Imax has a taller but narrower screen, the seats are all leather, the bass is much better but the vocals are better in Buffalo. The movie energized my seats many times and hope they extend this film as it has many scenes to do so.
I wonder which has better sound, Edge of Tomorrow in IMAX or Dolby Atmos
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com