The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 595 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
I actually love and hate the fact the euro guys get the first crack at these movies. It is nice to know ahead not to waste your money on a flop, but I hate waiting when there is a definite bass flick. Seems like there are more and more guys giving opinions than a couple of years ago, so it is pretty safe to say if they are saying a movie lacks bass, then it is probably true. I will say that I wrote off Oblivion because a few early reports came in that it was a bass flop and it went on to win bass movie of the year in a poll. So I agree, gotta get the movie for yourself, never know, could be a different sound track on the US version?
Who knows. I think audio/bass is very subjective in general due to a variety of reasons which is why I always have to listen to a movie/concert before coming to any conclusions.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2014, 11:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
i just can't imagine with how good the mix in first class was. i know there have been issues with sequels in the past, but i remember being very impressed in the theater and have been chomping at the bit for this to come out on blu so i can blow the windows out of the house. so hopefully his system is the weak link here....not that i wash bad bass on anyone.
Personally, I did not find the mix that good. Aside from the weak bass, surround effects weren't used that well. It was clear and understandable but it didn't have the same kind of flair I expect from say, actual Marvel Studios movies, Prometheus/Avatar/Oblivion etc.. I watched Cap 2 just the day before and was blown away, then was dismayed at how weak DoFP was in comparison.

It isn't just that it is too low for my system either... I am used to the tortured sounds my sub makes when it tries to dig too deep, hahah. There just isn't much going on. I am hoping it is a bad release but the other stuff I have got from the same group is spectacular so who knows.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Ralph Potts reviewed the submarine movie PHANTOM some while ago. He didn't seem to like it much, and it appears it was similarly dismissed by those posting in his review space. Just had to chime in here, though I have little time just now to do it justice. A rare case of Ralph dropping the ball -- or rather I disagree with his assessment of this as not particularly worthy. I found this unappreciated gem to be intelligent and thoroughly enjoyable -- one of the better films I've seen lately...which of course would make little impact without its KILLER SOUND TRACK. The clankthunking of the sub running into stuff rocks my room with LFE authority and sounds like you might expect if you were aboard -- extremely realistic and that is rare, oh so rare quality. Do yourself a favor and pick this up as an unheralded bass monster -- $7 from AMAZON just now......
Fatshaft, nube and audiofan1 like this.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by temps View Post
Personally, I did not find the mix that good. Aside from the weak bass, surround effects weren't used that well. It was clear and understandable but it didn't have the same kind of flair I expect from say, actual Marvel Studios movies, Prometheus/Avatar/Oblivion etc.. I watched Cap 2 just the day before and was blown away, then was dismayed at how weak DoFP was in comparison.

It isn't just that it is too low for my system either... I am used to the tortured sounds my sub makes when it tries to dig too deep, hahah. There just isn't much going on. I am hoping it is a bad release but the other stuff I have got from the same group is spectacular so who knows.
What speakers and subs are you running? Ported>Sealed?
Old 09-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
OK! You were right I did enjoy this movie very much! The story was good, but the audio track and the BASS was great. It was mentioned above that when the airships took off all he#* broke loose which was a good thing.

It may not have sounded that good in the theater for you, but I'm thinking you'll definitely give your subs a workout!

Oh! Where can I buy an SUV like Nick Fury's?
Whoo Hoo !! I picked up my copy from BB today and will crank it up this Saturday evening. I was hoping that it would turn out to have good bass once on BD and by your description I will be smiling on Saturday. The theater we went to is probably not the best as I frequent it often and have never been impressed by the Bass.
Haha.. Well in my case to get an SUV like Nick's I will need to hit the Lotto !!!
Glad you enjoyed the movie .
Bunga99 and discone like this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Old 09-11-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I use the last sequence in Cabin in the Woods to set my sub's level. If it doesn't throb and rattle the walls with that, it will work perfectly with everything else.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Ralph Potts reviewed the submarine movie PHANTOM some while ago. He didn't seem to like it much, and it appears it was similarly dismissed by those posting in his review space. Just had to chime in here, though I have little time just now to do it justice. A rare case of Ralph dropping the ball -- or rather I disagree with his assessment of this as not particularly worthy. I found this unappreciated gem to be intelligent and thoroughly enjoyable -- one of the better films I've seen lately...which of course would make little impact without its KILLER SOUND TRACK. The clankthunking of the sub running into stuff rocks my room with LFE authority and sounds like you might expect if you were aboard -- extremely realistic and that is rare, oh so rare quality. Do yourself a favor and pick this up as an unheralded bass monster -- $7 from AMAZON just now......
Yep! Bossobass noted this one a couple years ago, then maxmercy measured it, and it's an ABSOLUTE BASS MONSTER!!!

The only problem is, the sound mix is very poorly done in some respects because the whole thing is riddled with clipping, and it's seriously bad clipping.

But, if you can get over the bad sounds, it has a shitton of bass. Like, truckloads. I didn't like the movie.

P.S. Atmos for the home is all hype, at least for now. Your system will just default to the TrueHD stream, so it won't be anything extra special.
buddhamus likes this.
Old 09-12-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Yep! Bossobass noted this one a couple years ago, then maxmercy measured it, and [PHANTOM is] an ABSOLUTE BASS MONSTER!!!

The only problem is, the sound mix is very poorly done in some respects because the whole thing is riddled with clipping, and it's seriously bad clipping.

But, if you can get over the bad sounds, it has a shitton of bass. Like, truckloads. I didn't like the movie.
Actually, I had never seen any evidence this film had garnered much attention whatsoever outside of Potts' review, which was followed by ten or so posts by members mostly ridiculing its poor box office performance, lack of any pre-release promotion, and thanks for the warnings about mediocrity.

Did not know of any measurements done, just knew how it performed in my HT experience. Which brings me to the "clipping" you mention -- always has eluded me what is meant here. I assume there is some measured truncation of waveforms done electronically, i.e., with a pure signal, which verifies this phenomenon?

Can't say I hear bad sounds, but then most of my assemblage of equipment has been toward the goal of hearing pleasing and exquisite things -- fair to say with lesser grade gear I used to hear harshness and stridency, but it would be helpful to me to have you explain exactly what you mean by "clipping", "bad sound", etc., and where it occurs in this flick -- I'll see what I hear -- also too possibly the latest STAR TREK and SUPER 8, which I've also heard exhibit clipping.

As to the film, can't get better than Ed Harris, and I thought the central unfurling of the mystery and character interaction made for compelling cinema in and around the sub thunks.....
Old 09-12-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Finally I get to watch Lone Survivor tonight!
Fatshaft likes this.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I'm looking forward to judging for myself as well as lots of people are raving about the audio, and some (bass heads) are not. Will it be another Hobbit in the bass department, or more along the lines of Pacific Rim? If the latter, I will still be thrilled with it as I loved the bass in PR even though I could clearly tell extension was not as good as it could have been. Besides extension, I thought PR did everything else very well and is one of my overall favorite LFE experiences in my theater, so if Godzilla is similar, I will be happy. If Godzilla is closer in experience to Hobbit with lots of missed bass spots, extreme lack of extension and so on, it will go in the trash. Curious to hear it!
you will enjoy it - does not dig very deep but has strong volume levels and well recorded, fun track and film
very similar to PR which I did not like at all on first viewings but now rank much higher and demo at times
not always about how it graphs
Ralph Potts, Toe and audiofan1 like this.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Old 09-13-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I need to re-watch Phantom - I could only watch it turned down a bit as the neighbours were in, and there were some serious bass hits in it!

The film was... meh... Acting was alright by some but formulaic by others, and the opening sequences are almost "How many clichés can we fit in in 10 minutes?" lol

It does seem to get a bit better as it goes on, though, so I'll have to run it again at a decent volume
Old 09-13-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Sorry guys, too lazy to search...

How is Captain America for bass and overall sound? I'm having a movie night tonight and curious about what to expect. I sure hope that it isn't filtered at 30hz like Avengers was!!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

How is Captain America for bass and overall sound? I'm having a movie night tonight and curious about what to expect. I sure hope that it isn't filtered at 30hz like Avengers was!!

Here are the specs from Data-bass

Captain America - The Winter Soldier (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level - 4 Stars (110.62dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (6Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.52dB)
Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You will smile when the heli's launch, I guarantee it!
carp likes this.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
Here are the specs from Data-bass

Captain America - The Winter Soldier (7.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level - 4 Stars (110.62dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (6Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.52dB)

Oh hell yes. Thanks Wayne.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 1730
Oh yea I knew Captain America had some low stuff even from watching the ripped version. I will be purchasing that BR.

Also I watched Maleficent last night(ripped version), it had some decent bass moments but could not tell if there was much depth. It appears to not have been measured yet. Anybody else watched it yet?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 128
cap 2.....awesome.

/story
Old 09-13-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Oh yea I knew Captain America had some low stuff even from watching the ripped version. I will be purchasing that BR.

Also I watched Maleficent last night(ripped version), it had some decent bass moments but could not tell if there was much depth. It appears to not have been measured yet. Anybody else watched it yet?
I can't post measurements until they're released in retail. For Maleficent (another Skywalker Sounds mix), that's not until Nov. 4th.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
you will enjoy it - does not dig very deep but has strong volume levels and well recorded, fun track and film
very similar to PR which I did not like at all on first viewings but now rank much higher and demo at times
not always about how it graphs
Great to hear.

Watched Need for Speed last night and thought that mix was fantastic for bass and otherwise/overall! Great stuff
audiofan1 and cchunter like this.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Great to hear.

Watched Need for Speed last night and thought that mix was fantastic for bass and otherwise/overall! Great stuff
Yeah! Need for Speed was a blast and despite most views on it I'm buying a copy
Toe likes this.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Capt America was a good movie and definitely gave my VTF a workout! Another decent movie for bass is Oculus. It isn't a good movie or even a decent horror flick but it has a good amount of rumbling bass kinda like The Conjuring. Worth the rent IMO.
audiofan1 likes this.

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 09-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Great to hear.

That it is - really enjoyed that one

just viewed new Captain America this afternoon - wow - incredible audio
best overall track have heard in some time
Toe and audiofan1 like this.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Old 09-13-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

The 3d was really well done for that one too.
Toe and audiofan1 like this.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
The 3d was really well done for that one too.
I told myself last year to pickup some glasses for my 3D capable setup (3yrs running) but put it off yet again! since you mentioned it there was a moment or during my viewing of Need for Speed 2D that made me duck or push back from the onscreen impact! That's rare and now I feel I made need to pony up!
Old 09-13-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Lone survivor last night was indeed a memorable experience! OK that may be an understatement It and CATWS may just just seal the year for both bass and mix with a slight nudge to the latter for excellent dialog! but seeing were a the crescendo of the years best now hitting Blu! this call may be premature
Old 09-13-2014, 03:18 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
That it is - really enjoyed that one

just viewed new Captain America this afternoon - wow - incredible audio
best overall track have heard in some time
Nice! CA2 up next for me.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
I would like to check out the 3d at some point, but man the movie I thought was terrible so I dont want to buy it. Only thing that got me through it was the killer A/V! It was total eye and ear candy though!

Old 09-14-2014, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post

Gotta rate CAP2 bass very, very highly and overall audio as well. Clean and powerful is a good way to describe it. Yet to see anyone comment negatively on this films much hyped credentials.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
Old 09-14-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 128
^^ plus a very good movie also.

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com