The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 596 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17851 of 17875 Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Sorry guys, too lazy to search...

How is Captain America for bass and overall sound? I'm having a movie night tonight and curious about what to expect. I sure hope that it isn't filtered at 30hz like Avengers was!!
Gotta rate CAP2 bass very, very highly and overall audio as well. Clean and powerful is a good way to describe it. Yet to see anyone comment negatively on this films much hyped credentials.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17852 of 17875 Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 76
^^ plus a very good movie also.
post #17853 of 17875 Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Yep! Bossobass noted this one a couple years ago, then maxmercy measured it, and it's an ABSOLUTE BASS MONSTER!!!
Quote:

The only problem is, the sound mix is very poorly done in some respects because the whole thing is riddled with clipping, and it's seriously bad clipping.

But, if you can get over the bad sounds, it has a shitton of bass. Like, truckloads.
I did check out those links and was restricted from the clipping one. I guess it is probably fair to say that the phenomenon of clipping is not very well understood, particularly by me, but I'm trying to get a handle on it.

I assume from the link, it is a measureable deformation of the audio signal across all frequencies one's speaker produces? I have read, and nube here seems to confirm, that the presence of this phenomenon has audible consequences, referring to the effect as "bad sounds".

If someone might have access to the clipping graphic from PHANTOM, what are the associated time signatures? What type of distortion should one expect at those spots? What would cause this clipping to be present on the disc?

Thanks for any help.
post #17854 of 17875 Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
Gotta rate CAP2 bass very, very highly and overall audio as well. Clean and powerful is a good way to describe it. Yet to see anyone comment negatively on this films much hyped credentials.
Excellent movie overall with some great bass on BD. The bass on BD was a lot better than the Theater that I viewed CAWS at. Although in my opinion and on my set up it is not on par with the heavy hitters such as Underworld: Awakening, The Incredible Hulk (2008), Cloverfield(blu-ray).
But still a great film with great bass that is now part of my collection.
discone likes this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #17855 of 17875 Old Today, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Excellent movie overall with some great bass on BD. The bass on BD was a lot better than the Theater that I viewed CAWS at. Although in my opinion and on my set up it is not on par with the heavy hitters such as Underworld: Awakening, The Incredible Hulk (2008), Cloverfield(blu-ray).
But still a great film with great bass that is now part of my collection.
Glad to hear the movie sounded better on your system so you could enjoy it more. I'm going through bass withdraw as this weekend no bass movies shipped out. I'm due to get Need For Speed tomorrow so that may help curb my cravings.
Ray77085 likes this.
post #17856 of 17875 Old Today, 04:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Glad to hear the movie sounded better on your system so you could enjoy it more. I'm going through bass withdraw as this weekend no bass movies shipped out. I'm due to get Need For Speed tomorrow so that may help curb my cravings.
You will definitely enjoy the sound track on NFS as it is a nice treat !!! I watched it a few weeks back and was impressed with the bass and surround sound mix. I have reservation with this movie because of the old school muscle cars that were in it. I grew up with some of those cars and some of my friends had cams, big blocks etc.
Crank it up and it will bring a . Now the acting and story line, well.....Um you will have to decide.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #17857 of 17875 Old Today, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Godzilla eve
Toe and audiofan1 like this.

My System

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My dedicated theater room build. 

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17858 of 17875 Old Today, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

So I use this thread to alert myself to bass monster movies. Seems no one has made note of PHANTOM, which I've recently seen. I actually have collected a number of titles on the basis of what is cited herein, so I thought I'd pass this along to others. Then someone says the track is riddled with clipping and "bad sounds", which I never heard. I'd like to double check my hearing, my system, and/or the validity of these claims, but when it comes to even explaining what this phenomenon is, where it occurs on the disc, what it sounds like, I get no takers.

Seems a little unfair to denigrate something then withdraw without a trace, but such is the nature of online posting, I guess. Thanks for that clipping advisory, really impressed me that you know what you're talking about.
post #17859 of 17875 Old Today, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
So I use this thread to alert myself to bass monster movies. Seems no one has made note of PHANTOM, which I've recently seen. I actually have collected a number of titles on the basis of what is cited herein, so I thought I'd pass this along to others. Then someone says the track is riddled with clipping and "bad sounds", which I never heard. I'd like to double check my hearing, my system, and/or the validity of these claims, but when it comes to even explaining what this phenomenon is, where it occurs on the disc, what it sounds like, I get no takers.

Seems a little unfair to denigrate something then withdraw without a trace, but such is the nature of online posting, I guess. Thanks for that clipping advisory, really impressed me that you know what you're talking about.
There was some talk on Phantom awhile back. There is a couple of pages to read.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...ic-etc/page-59

My System

My dedicated theater room build. 

post #17860 of 17875 Old Today, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Your alert isn't working right then. Scroll back a bit...

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #17861 of 17875 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
There was some talk on Phantom awhile back. There is a couple of pages to read.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...ic-etc/page-59
Yes, thanks for the link, I'd clicked on it, but vis a vis the clipping reference over on DATABASS, it says I'm not authorized to open that attachment. The time signatures of the clipping, which I'm assuming are part of what is there, would be helpful, but also anyone to explain what clipping is and what audible distortion might result from it, would almost certainly advance my understanding -- I'm starting to think no one really knows what is, or else it exerts no influence on what you hear.

Has my curiosity peaked because I want to go back and see what I hear, then I might evaluate the real meaning of its being there, if it is....
post #17862 of 17875 Old Today, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Hey, guy. My girlfriend's parents are here from out of town and I've only been able to check the thread via my phone for most of the last 4 days. I also started a new job today. I'm sorry that I failed to meet your unspoken expectations.

But, as others have said, the links providing direct answers to your questions have already been given. If you can't view the images, log in. Also, do a search on the Data-Bass forums for clipping or clipped content, as every single one of your questions has been answered, extensively over there, and to some degree in this thread.

A little off topic, but you (and many others in this thread) act like you're entitled to private tutoring from those of us who contribute. While I love helping people learn about bass content in movies, and I love learning more about it every day myself, you can't expect us to rehash everything just for you every time you have (what you think is) a pertinent question. You have to put forth some effort. That's why the internet is so amazing - with just a little bit of searching, you can find expert facts and information about almost any question you may have, and on any subject.

We've already provided everything you need to find the information yourself. Now, spread your wings, take the plunge, and go forth and prosper!
ambesolman and Reefdvr27 like this.

post #17863 of 17875 Old Today, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hey, guy. My girlfriend's parents are here from out of town and I've only been able to check the thread via my phone for most of the last 4 days. I also started a new job today. I'm sorry that I failed to meet your unspoken expectations.

But, as others have said, the links providing direct answers to your questions have already been given. If you can't view the images, log in. Also, do a search on the Data-Bass forums for clipping or clipped content, as every single one of your questions has been answered, extensively over there, and to some degree in this thread.

A little off topic, but you (and many others in this thread) act like you're entitled to private tutoring from those of us who contribute. While I love helping people learn about bass content in movies, and I love learning more about it every day myself, you can't expect us to rehash everything just for you every time you have (what you think is) a pertinent question. You have to put forth some effort. That's why the internet is so amazing - with just a little bit of searching, you can find expert facts and information about almost any question you may have, and on any subject.

We've already provided everything you need to find the information yourself. Now, spread your wings, take the plunge, and go forth and prosper!
Yes, very good. My post was intended to evoke a response, which I'd not gotten. I don't think I'm entitled to being schooled, really don't, but I've now elicited some kind of (unresponsive) response. Now unfortunately you invested all that effort without explaining anything I did not already know.

Still do not want to log into DATABASS, in spite of being patronized. Some folks here thought it relevant to my citing PHANTOM for bass content, to mention the clipping, namely you. That is something I did not know, so I follow up and suddenly it is not worthy to explore herein. Sounds like something that can't be detected without measuring equipment, so is not really relevant at all, but then I did not bring it up. Thanks for your help.
post #17864 of 17875 Old Today, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Yes, very good. My post was intended to evoke a response, which I'd not gotten. I don't think I'm entitled to being schooled, really don't, but I've now elicited some kind of (unresponsive) response. Now unfortunately you invested all that effort without explaining anything I did not already know.

Still do not want to log into DATABASS, in spite of being patronized. Some folks here thought it relevant to my citing PHANTOM for bass content, to mention the clipping, namely you. That is something I did not know, so I follow up and suddenly it is not worthy to explore herein. Sounds like something that can't be detected without measuring equipment, so is not really relevant at all, but then I did not bring it up. Thanks for your help.
If clipping is egregious enough, it certainly can be heard, and is certainly relevant. The better your setup and the better you're hearing, the more clipping is noticeable. And after I looked at the graphs on the site you don't want to log onto, I can see plenty of instances of it. It's been a while since I watched the movie, but I do recall instances where I checked my subs to make sure the noises I heard weren't driver related, but content related.
post #17865 of 17875 Old Today, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 693
The electrical signal being reproduced by a speaker is a sine wave. That is needed for a clear audible sound. Once an amplifier is driven beyond its spec's output, the signal the speaker is trying to reproduce now is flattened, somewhat resembling a square wave. This does sound distorted coming from the speaker. Most amps have clipping lights to indicate clipping.
post #17866 of 17875 Old Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I would like to check out the 3d at some point, but man the movie I thought was terrible so I dont want to buy it. Only thing that got me through it was the killer A/V! It was total eye and ear candy though!
I hear you. The movie was entertaining to me too but if I stopped to think at all it was a stinker. At the end though I was discussing it with my little brother and he brought up a good point. In the early 90's we played the need for speed game in its original glory on the 3DO and it was way ahead of its time. One of the fun parts was that there were cops everywhere and the race took place on the streets. There really wasn't any background story. When I look at this movie as a video game story, it then isn't quite as bad. I'm sure I'll enjoy this flick the next time even more than the first.
post #17867 of 17875 Old Today, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Thank you for that gentlemen (wth718 and mongo171), those were the more responsive responses I was looking for. I did see a clip light flash repeatedly on the latest STAR TREK at the same spot, same channel, when I replayed it over and over. Did not isolate that channel by unhooking the other channels to hear more precisely what it sounded like, but in the mix, was not particularly, or at all, audibly noticeable. So the amp is registering the incoming signal? -- I thought clipping at the amp level was the amp tapping out of power -- or is it that the distorted signal causes the amp that much distress? If some one can obtain the PHANTOM clipping time signatures, it would be most appreciated...thanks again
post #17868 of 17875 Old Today, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 429
And these exact responses were already posted at the links provided; all you had to do was search. Please search before asking in the future. Thanks in advance!

post #17869 of 17875 Old Today, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
^^^Thank you for that gentlemen (wth718 and mongo171), those were the more responsive responses I was looking for. I did see a clip light flash repeatedly on the latest STAR TREK at the same spot, same channel, when I replayed it over and over. Did not isolate that channel by unhooking the other channels to hear more precisely what it sounded like, but in the mix, was not particularly, or at all, audibly noticeable. So the amp is registering the incoming signal? -- I thought clipping at the amp level was the amp tapping out of power -- or is it that the distorted signal causes the amp that much distress? If some one can obtain the PHANTOM clipping time signatures, it would be most appreciated...thanks again
As has been mentioned, you can see the instances of clipping on the image on data-bass.com. The info is there--you've just got to log in and look at it.
post #17870 of 17875 Old Today, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
As has been mentioned, you can see the instances of clipping on the image on data-bass.com. The info is there--you've just got to log in and look at it.
Thanks for that, I do appreciate your response. I am not a member over there, not looking to become one, nor disseminate any more personal information from my side than I absolutely have to. Don't know what is involved in logging in, but suspect it at least involves an email address. Of course I did not think getting that info from members here was going to pose the least problem, but now I indeed have been schooled, just not on what I was looking for.
post #17871 of 17875 Old Today, 02:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 428
The answer is clipping is an odd sound in the soundtrack, the better the gear, the more you can hear it.
post #17872 of 17875 Old Today, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
The answer is clipping is an odd sound in the soundtrack, the better the gear, the more you can hear it.
Actually, one of the reasons this is of interest to me is that I did not hear anything amiss in the PHANTOM track, which in addition to the ample tonnage of bass bumps, I thought to be highly superior. Now my hearing is not what it used to be, but the theory I am operating on is the opposite of what you state, i.e., the better the gear, the less able you might be to detect the presence of clipping as imbedded in the soundtrack (I think amp clipping is a different thing altogether, but then that is a point I'm not sure of either).

In any case, I don't have the best gear I suppose, but do somehow manage to think that maybe because it is as good as it is, is the why behind me hearing nothing I would call "bad sounds" -- unless that is "bad" in the urban slang. If that is not the case, I might have to face that my hearing is pretty blown -- either case makes investigating this issue very relevant to my concerns, so was looking for the time signatures. AVS not as helpful or positive as I remember since I don't post as much now, but I see there are still a few members still willing to offer up something helpful....
post #17873 of 17875 Old Today, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Emaych,

You and nube are talking about two different sources of clipping. Nube is referring to clipping that is present in the recording itself. The better the gear, the more likely you will be able to hear it. No matter how good your equipment is, you cannot avoid the clipping as it was recorded that way. The best equipment in the world will not be able to get rid of it.

The clipping you are talking about is clipping from the equipment itself. Whether it due to improper setup or inadequate power. This is what you are talking about when you say you see the clip lights on your amp go on. You are either exceeding the limitations of your equipment or it was setup improperly. This source of clipping can be fixed. The clipping nube is referring to cannot be short of getting the recording studio to fix and rerelease the fixed Blu-ray/DVD.
post #17874 of 17875 Old Today, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Actually, one of the reasons this is of interest to me is that I did not hear anything amiss in the PHANTOM track, which in addition to the ample tonnage of bass bumps, I thought to be highly superior. Now my hearing is not what it used to be, but the theory I am operating on is the opposite of what you state, i.e., the better the gear, the less able you might be to detect the presence of clipping as imbedded in the soundtrack (I think amp clipping is a different thing altogether, but then that is a point I'm not sure of either).

In any case, I don't have the best gear I suppose, but do somehow manage to think that maybe because it is as good as it is, is the why behind me hearing nothing I would call "bad sounds" -- unless that is "bad" in the urban slang. If that is not the case, I might have to face that my hearing is pretty blown -- either case makes investigating this issue very relevant to my concerns, so was looking for the time signatures. AVS not as helpful or positive as I remember since I don't post as much now, but I see there are still a few members still willing to offer up something helpful....
ANYTHING in the audio chain can cause clipping. If the plastic disc in your hand was recorded with a clipped signal, no matter how loud it is played, it will still be clipped. The pre/pro is basically a buffer between the source player and the amp. It also can add DSP functions to the audio; bass tones, treble tones, Dolby environments, etc. The amp amplifies anything that is on the input.

You sound like an intelligent guy. We've given pretty basic answers. Anything more in-depth and you will need to have letters after your name.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #17875 of 17875 Old Today, 04:57 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I hear you. The movie was entertaining to me too but if I stopped to think at all it was a stinker. At the end though I was discussing it with my little brother and he brought up a good point. In the early 90's we played the need for speed game in its original glory on the 3DO and it was way ahead of its time. One of the fun parts was that there were cops everywhere and the race took place on the streets. There really wasn't any background story. When I look at this movie as a video game story, it then isn't quite as bad. I'm sure I'll enjoy this flick the next time even more than the first.
Great points and I actually did look at it from that perspective as I read that about the film before watching it. Don't get me wrong, it was certainly entertaining in the HT, I just don't want to sit through it again. Well, unless someone loans me a copy of the 3d version so I can check that out since I have heard very good things and I am a 3d fan.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page