The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 597 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17881 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Uh, yeah -- precisely -- minutes away. Thought I might come to the AUDIO/VISUAL SCIENCES FORUMS, and specifically this whole section dealing with subs and bass and the like, to toss around some concepts. But guess I discovered there are those who like to wax poetic and at length on directing inquiries elsewhere, or dissecting the manner or form of presenting (in my case just responding to) items and issues mentioned where at least my knowledge base could be expanded -- and undoubtedly expanded painlessly by expending even one tenth the energy devoted to the negativism free-flowing herein.

One member went on for hundreds of words explaining what an imposition it was to respond helpfully, and managed to be quite patronizing while not giving the merest hint as to his own advanced understanding.

To all out there who might find yourself leaning to that camp, please remember my AVS handle, know that I might be looking to learn something, know that I apologize in advance for asking, and also know that you can skip my post and not feel the least inclination to respond -- I think it quite likely I will not find it helpful.

And beyond that, from some of the responses I've gotten, as well as those withheld, I think I'm inclined to believe folks are just embarassed to admit they don't have any better understanding than I do. I note my central questions were, and have been to this moment, avoided, though a few have also chimed in with earnest intention to be of service.

Thanks for standing squarely with and for the advancement of knowledge, I'm sure we all appreciate the charitable investment of your time and energies...meant sincerely to those that tried to help, and less sincerely to the rest....
There are lots of threads about clipping in these forums, if you'd care to do the research--that's what the search button is for. You have been given the cliff notes version of what clipping is in the last couple pages of this thread. It's poor form to expect the people who can really go in depth about it to explain it to you personally, when it's been discussed in depth multiple times.

The reason I referred you to the other site is because it has the EXACT information you asked for--the timestamps of where the clipping occurs. Instead of taking the time or effort to look up the graph, you expect someone to describe to you where the 15-20 plus points of clipping are. Sorry, not gonna do it. Maybe someone else will.

People are very helpful on these forums, but if you feel it too much of an inconvenience on YOUR TIME to do any research whatsoever, then don't be surprised at the less than enthusiastic response you get.
BacHolz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17882 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 268
This thread has taken a crap lately.

Hopefully with Godzilla's release tomorrow it will get back on track (whether the bass is good or bad)
post #17883 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I hear you. The movie was entertaining to me too but if I stopped to think at all it was a stinker. At the end though I was discussing it with my little brother and he brought up a good point. In the early 90's we played the need for speed game in its original glory on the 3DO and it was way ahead of its time. One of the fun parts was that there were cops everywhere and the race took place on the streets. There really wasn't any background story. When I look at this movie as a video game story, it then isn't quite as bad. I'm sure I'll enjoy this flick the next time even more than the first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Great points and I actually did look at it from that perspective as I read that about the film before watching it. Don't get me wrong, it was certainly entertaining in the HT, I just don't want to sit through it again. Well, unless someone loans me a copy of the 3d version so I can check that out since I have heard very good things and I am a 3d fan.

Very good points indeed and something I should've included in the comments I posted on why I liked it so much! My two sons and I had tons of fun with NFS and other car games of days past , it really did bring back some fun memories for us! Funny thing my oldest pointed out and said " yep! a lot of cop cars"
post #17884 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
This thread has taken a crap lately.

Hopefully with Godzilla's release tomorrow it will get back on track (whether the bass is good or bad)

Remember a few months ago! how quiet things got! And now were in full derailment mode

Godzilla should fix this and if not, follow up with Pacific Rim"
post #17885 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
Gotta rate CAP2 bass very, very highly and overall audio as well. Clean and powerful is a good way to describe it. Yet to see anyone comment negatively on this films much hyped credentials.
My thoughts exactly. The bass is great, but more importantly, the overall mix is probably among the better, if not the best I've heard. It's just clean sounding all around, and while I was thinking "full", "powerful" is perhaps a better word.

Edit: On that note, I love the audio so much I've already watched it 3 times since picking up the blu-ray on release day. And of course it helps that it's a pretty good movie, too.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.

Last edited by red_5ive; Yesterday at 09:26 PM.
post #17886 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
There are lots of threads about clipping in these forums, if you'd care to do the research--that's what the search button is for. You have been given the cliff notes version of what clipping is in the last couple pages of this thread. It's poor form to expect the people who can really go in depth about it to explain it to you personally, when it's been discussed in depth multiple times.

The reason I referred you to the other site is because it has the EXACT information you asked for--the timestamps of where the clipping occurs. Instead of taking the time or effort to look up the graph, you expect someone to describe to you where the 15-20 plus points of clipping are. Sorry, not gonna do it. Maybe someone else will.

People are very helpful on these forums, but if you feel it too much of an inconvenience on YOUR TIME to do any research whatsoever, then don't be surprised at the less than enthusiastic response you get.
As I've said, it is not the time or effort logging onto the other site. I am just not particularly disposed toward disseminating my personal information indiscriminantly, for the consulting of one graph, which were it presented as was the rest of the information (versus attachment), would have been perfectly accessable as you suggest. And no one who is a member over there and here wants to look for me. I get that, I surely do as of now. Didn't really expect it, per se -- would have been nice if someone had, just as I've lent assist when I thought I could.

But how about does any member here even vaguely recall a scene, any scene, any movie, where they heard recorded clipping that was verified by such measurements? Just directing me there would serve the purpose of me hearing what I can hear, if I've got the movie. The strange part about all this is, I've asked about clipping before, and as you can undoubtedly tell, still have very few answers -- only thing different here is that I pursued the runaround just a bit. Leads me to believe no one has really heard it, or knows much of anything about it. Very curious indeed.
post #17887 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Remember a few months ago! how quiet things got! And now were in full derailment mode

Godzilla should fix this and if not, follow up with Pacific Rim"
Godzilla won't fix anything, unfortunately. CATWS is much more of a fixer. Godzilla will provide some rumble, but another giant monster movie, Cloverfield, eats it for breakfast.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #17888 of 17891 Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Godzilla won't fix anything, unfortunately. CATWS is much more of a fixer. Godzilla will provide some rumble, but another giant monster movie, Cloverfield, eats it for breakfast.

No doubt on CATWS best so far! but I watched it last week and looking forward to Godzilla ! I've been a fan since childhood and hoping for at least "Pacific Rim" fun! I have acquired my second sub and am in the process (yet again) of viewing the big boys with a new here and there. I got WOTW and 9 up next and Cloverfield should make a good third
post #17889 of 17891 Old Today, 02:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Uh, yeah... (on clipping)
I think you bring up a good point Emaych. And although I dont know the answer to your question I do have some insight on the matter. Im not by any means an expert on clipping but I've noticed that Not All clipping sounds bad. I think its the "hard clipping" that has the distorted and harsh sound(?). One of the few cases of harsh sounding clipping I've heard was in Immortals tidal wave sequence. This scene is really really badly audibly clipped it sounds really crunchy. Sunshine for instance according to the db is full of clipping but I've watched this movie many times and never heard bad sounds. My point being: just becuause a mix is clipped Does Not neccesarily mean that it will sound bad. It might have something to do with what frequencies are clipped too. I think the deep bass can get away with this, easier than say.. frequencies over 60/80hz or so.

Quote:
And beyond that, from some of the responses I've gotten, as well as those withheld, I think I'm inclined to believe folks are just embarassed to admit they don't have any better understanding than I do.
Haha, I like this guy

post #17890 of 17891 Old Today, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
As I've said, it is not the time or effort logging onto the other site. I am just not particularly disposed toward disseminating my personal information indiscriminantly, for the consulting of one graph, which were it presented as was the rest of the information (versus attachment), would have been perfectly accessable as you suggest. And no one who is a member over there and here wants to look for me. I get that, I surely do as of now. Didn't really expect it, per se -- would have been nice if someone had, just as I've lent assist when I thought I could.

But how about does any member here even vaguely recall a scene, any scene, any movie, where they heard recorded clipping that was verified by such measurements? Just directing me there would serve the purpose of me hearing what I can hear, if I've got the movie. The strange part about all this is, I've asked about clipping before, and as you can undoubtedly tell, still have very few answers -- only thing different here is that I pursued the runaround just a bit. Leads me to believe no one has really heard it, or knows much of anything about it. Very curious indeed.
I've been following your quest for the holy grail that is clipping in a certain movie at a certain time stamp. Whether we have given you an answer that satisfies you needs, I don't know.

There is not one person on this thread who knows everything about everyone's system. However, there are certain things that will occur across ALL systems. Distortion is one of them. Another thing we don't know is the level of expertise of the person we are responding to. For you, it seems like we are leading you to water, but you're not drinking. Most of the time, a person will come onto a thread curious about their equipment. I know my equipment because I read the manual and follow threads for more advice. If I don't understand something, I ask. Then, at least one person will RESEARCH on the internet to try to answer my question. So, after researching that person's equipment for him, an answer is given. The internet has been around a few years. Doing a search and reading up on it is a very basic function of it.

To come off like you are, "Leads me to believe no one has really heard it, or knows much of anything about it. Very curious indeed." makes me feel like you know more than us on a topic you have no clue on. We have done what you have asked, a few times over. If we are not giving you satisfactory answers to your questions, you can always ask those same questions on another thread or site.

With dual subs, stack'em in the corner and put on a jockstrap. Don't want EVERYTHING in the room jingling!
post #17891 of 17891 Old Today, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:

I'm only a noob but I doubt anyone is going to respond to your seemingly deliberately provocative wording at the end of your post because links to where to find the information have already been provided, so I'm not sure why anyone would want to duplicate effort when a simple link will suffice.

I fully appreciate the desire to minimise your electronic footprint, I am of the same mind myself and rarely give out any personal information that might easily identify me to an unknown-to-me third party, but I doubt that Josh Ricci (also a member on here) who runs the DB site, has the time, energy or inclination to harvest your personal information from the forum database and then attempt to track you down for any particular reason - he doesn't have enough time in the day to post on his own forum very often, nevermind do the subwoofer/driver testing he carries out for the wider community benefit, go out to work to earn money, have a personal life... Equally, nube et al have no access to the database at databass and contribute a great deal of their own time and energy to measuring and graphing and posting new movie information, all for no personal benefit to themselves, while juggling their personal and work lives. So, no offence, but you're not really that important enough to worry about in the big scheme of things.

If you are that worried, just log onto the internet via Tor / A.N.Other proxy access, setup a dummy hushmail account to get access granted, and then let the account lapse while continuing to enjoy the DB forum. As you say, it's not the time and energy you are worried about expending, so it shouldn't be a problem to do so.

All IMHO, of course.

Last edited by MemX; Today at 02:54 AM.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page