The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 599 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17941 of 17951 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Just finished Godzilla and in my opinion I'd call it a solid 3.5 with a few 4.5 moments. Now to clarify the 4.5 moments, its largely due to the overall level of the bass mix which is hot and the moments when the movie does extend below 30hz it can be a force to reckoned with The missed moments for ELF are few but noticeable as they are expected by our preception of "what it should sound like" but if caught of guard and watching at anything below -10 you may indeed pay for it. The rest of the mix was great as far as mixes go with well placed pans and such even though still on the hot side (perhaps a bit of dare I say, clipping!! on one or two scenes but don't hold me to that) I suspect if you enjoyed the bass in "Pacific Rim" this is definitely for you! with greater overall extension and serious room lock at times.

To sum it up! perhaps rent , although I did buy and will watch again! the worst con for me by far were the black levels on most scenes .

Enjoy this guys and crank it
red_5ive likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17942 of 17951 Old Yesterday, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Looks like the trend continues. Really guys, I do have something else to do today, and will get to that just now. You of course may continue to round up the posse for the offense of one member responding to another -- an inquiry on a point made. Why all this fuss? It gets thicker....stay tuned, but for now I've got to go....
Emaych: Ignorance is bliss in this hobby my friend! If you enjoy Phantom then leave it at that and just ENJOY IT! I enjoy Tron Legacy a lot and have seen reported many times about the clipping/distortion in the audio but..... I don't notice it and don't want to notice it so I can still enjoy it! Like I said ignorance is bliss and if you start to attune to what's not right there goes your enjoyment.
audiofan1 likes this.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #17943 of 17951 Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Tron Legacy rocks!!
red_5ive likes this.
post #17944 of 17951 Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Just finished Godzilla and in my opinion I'd call it a solid 3.5 with a few 4.5 moments. Now to clarify the 4.5 moments, its largely due to the overall level of the bass mix which is hot and the moments when the movie does extend below 30hz it can be a force to reckoned with The missed moments for ELF are few but noticeable as they are expected by our preception of "what it should sound like" but if caught of guard and watching at anything below -10 you may indeed pay for it. The rest of the mix was great as far as mixes go with well placed pans and such even though still on the hot side (perhaps a bit of dare I say, clipping!! on one or two scenes but don't hold me to that) I suspect if you enjoyed the bass in "Pacific Rim" this is definitely for you! with greater overall extension and serious room lock at times.

To sum it up! perhaps rent , although I did buy and will watch again! the worst con for me by far were the black levels on most scenes .

Thanks, I was waiting on input on this one before committing a purchase while it's on sale vs waiting the 3 weeks or whatever to rent it from Red Box. I enjoyed the bass in Pacific Rim so this is just what I needed to hear. Thanks for the input!

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #17945 of 17951 Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 375
No matter the bass content, Godzilla sucks big deep time. ...The flick.
...The only good moment is when he ******* ****** into the ***** of his ******** *****. ...That lasted less than seven seconds.

And if you want just the bass, pass.

* Hi red.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17946 of 17951 Old Yesterday, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Tron Legacy rocks!!
Oh yeah.

Bests, ~ Robert § (Bob)

post #17947 of 17951 Old Yesterday, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
post #17948 of 17951 Old Today, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Thank's for the input! I think I will crank it once I get my hand's on it next month. Even if the bass is not there I want to see how well they did compared to the lizard in New York Godzilla. I remember as a kid trying to stay up late to midnight and watch the Creature Feature monster movies. So if this is at least somewhat better then the old one's I hope to be smiling.
post #17949 of 17951 Old Today, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
No matter the bass content, Godzilla sucks big deep time. ...The flick.
...The only good moment is when he ******* ****** into the ***** of his ******** *****. ...That lasted less than seven seconds.

And if you want just the bass, pass.

* Hi red.
That you, Bob? Good to see you around! Been a while.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #17950 of 17951 Old Today, 03:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Can you guys recommend me a movie with lots of midbass? Going as low as 30-40Hz is fine, but the mid bass contents must occur a lot of time in the movie. Reason is to break in my new speaker, which I'm running them at full range (large) without sub.
post #17951 of 17951 Old Today, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
Emaych: Ignorance is bliss in this hobby my friend! If you enjoy Phantom then leave it at that and just ENJOY IT! I enjoy Tron Legacy a lot and have seen reported many times about the clipping/distortion in the audio but..... I don't notice it and don't want to notice it so I can still enjoy it! Like I said ignorance is bliss and if you start to attune to what's not right there goes your enjoyment.
Thanks AJ72 for those words to the wise -- I hear you! And of course I was deeply impressed with PHANTOM, and also very surprised it had received very little acclaim in these quarters as a bass champion. I bought DEAD IN TOMBSTONE (rated 4.5 stars) on the basis of this thread's appraisal, and though it has alot of booming bass content, my recall of it...well let's just say it was forgettable, and the bass content pretty unvaried and uninteresting.

But I didn't see PHANTOM there (is it there somewhere...?) -- and it is a beast for bass, an intelligently written slow burner, with an excellent track to boot. Then I'm told it is riddled with "bad sounds" -- what wasn't I hearing? So we went 'round and 'round getting the time signatures, but anyone who had seen the movie might have chimed in with "I remember I was watching, and the scene where such and such happens, really startled me with bad clipping." No one did that, or wanted to share the time stamps, or even one, Except that someone eventually did.

At six minutes in, Ed Harris is pouring a couple of pills out into his hand. He then kisses his child in bed. that is going to run you into minute seven more or less. You can imagine the kind of audio content which accompanies this -- very quiet interlude. I was told to attend to the center channel, so with only that pair of speakers on, I listened. Not a blip, nor a crackle, nor sharp stridency -- if that was an egregious case of bad sound, I didn't hear a thing -- draw your own conclusions.

Now my two center channels on either side of the screen are MONTANA XPs -- reviewed by Dick Olsher (they "Lit up the sky" is a salient quote), driven by a custom Sierra Audio family amp. The XP is the smaller version of the MONTANA KAS, of which I have four. The KAS was reviewed in STEREOPHILE and at the end of the evaluation, the reviewer bought a pair for himself. So, while perhaps not the best equipment, these speakers are VERY revealing and transparent. But nothing at that time stamp.

Now of course I did not want to hear bad sounds, or damage my equipment, but was driven to this experiment because my curiosity was aroused. Perhaps the measurements do reveal a flawed track, but this is as if Amber Heard weighed three hundred pounds, but looked the same as she does -- slim build, petite frame, gorgeous in every respect. Does it matter that the scale reports three hundred pounds? Yes, I suppose it does -- she will have to think in terms of fortified furniture, etc., but in every other respect, to the eye, she remains gorgeous.

So I stick by my initial reporting of this fantastic track -- the bass content as through my dual CAP S2s (I see you have some CAPs too, AJ72 -- good on ya!) was prodigious, varied, realistic, impressive. Based on my one re-listen at six minutes in, just the center, my preliminary finding is that most viewers will likely walk away in complete blissful ignorance of any clipping anomaly that appears upon measurement.

Still willing to listen to more samples, but that is what I have just now, and if ignorance of any measured clipping is bliss, I call this track audio bliss. Now onto CATWS which just arrived!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page