The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 607 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #18181 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Graphs may be one part of the equation but factor in room and proper system setup and the end result can change considerably . This is my subjective onion of course but The Incredible Hulk is 5 stars and largely due to the things mentioned. T4 may fall short on paper by not ticking all the boxes what it does tick more than makes up for it. Keep in mind I'm not critiquing it's soundtrack as a whole here in the Movies with bass thread (although it has some rather fine statement examples of sound design ) Perhaps my wording as best would indeed be a poor choice ( I'll keep the bar higher as you did remind me of the finer merits we should judge by ) but as for pure bass content that's a different story
I agree that for me personally, TIH is a 5 star flick. You really think TF4 is on par with it? Seriously? Let's stipulate to the whole "everyone likes different kinds of bass" thing. But if one has a system capable of playing the majority of what's on the disc, there is really no comparison between TIH and TF4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TIH2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	289817   Click image for larger version

Name:	post-20-0-05240600-1412126062.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	289825  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18182 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
I agree that for me personally, TIH is a 5 star flick. You really think TF4 is on par with it? Seriously? Let's stipulate to the whole "everyone likes different kinds of bass" thing. But if one has a system capable of playing the majority of what's on the disc, there is really no comparison between TIH and TF4.
Your going scene for scene and trying to isolate bass moments to which you would indeed be correct but as for a movie that's well over two and a half hours long with as much bass as T4 the par changes. TIH has at best 3-4 scenes where it hits and hits hard ( man the ending is so worth it), much like WOTW (perhaps many more than 4) and OHF but once pass those moments for bass content they fall short and here is where I give T4 the edge! I'm not disputing what on the disc, if the movies you mention had more bass quantity or content, then I would say no contest but as it stands with T4 digging down to 15hz ( the bottom from here is not that far) and gobs 20hz on up doesn't leave much to be desired for a movie with bass

How about "Bombard General"
post #18183 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Your going scene for scene and trying to isolate bass moments to which you would indeed be correct but as for a movie that's well over two and a half hours long with as much bass as T4 the par changes. TIH has at best 3-4 scenes where it hits and hits hard ( man the ending is so worth it), much like WOTW (perhaps many more than 4) and OHF but once pass those moments for bass content they fall short and here is where I give T4 the edge! I'm not disputing what on the disc, if the movies you mention had more bass quantity or content, then I would say no contest but as it stands with T4 digging down to 15hz ( the bottom from here is not that far) and gobs 20hz on up doesn't leave much to be desired for a movie with bass

How about "Bombard General"
We'll just agree to disagree. The runtime is irrelevant in this context, because there were lots of boring scenes with zero action during the movie. Enough so that I actually fell asleep during parts.

It just gets me how every NEW, LOUD movie that comes out gets compared to the truly outstanding ones and "takes the crown." Lone Survivor is the latest one like that. Oblivion is another. I loved Oblivion--it's one of my all-time favorites, but it doesn't stand up to the best of the best, either.
post #18184 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We'll just agree to disagree. The runtime is irrelevant in this context, because there were lots of boring scenes with zero action during the movie. Enough so that I actually fell asleep during parts.

It just gets me how every NEW, LOUD movie that comes out gets compared to the truly outstanding ones and "takes the crown." Lone Survivor is the latest one like that. Oblivion is another. I loved Oblivion--it's one of my all-time favorites, but it doesn't stand up to the best of the best, either.
For me Oblivion is a great choice for reference bass across the board as its done extremely well. I see were your coming from and perhaps I'll try to do a better job of categorizing instead of pronouncing movies as Kings and such. It does seem they all fit into a more of a bass genre than anything else.
post #18185 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 02:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 444
To me WOTW and TIH are 5 star.
audiofan1 and ambesolman like this.
post #18186 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Okv

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
I loved Oblivion--it's one of my all-time favorites, but it doesn't stand up to the best of the best, either.
Could not agree more, it is a great soundtrack, but still leaves you thinking how it could have been, if they just backed off 6-10dB on the level to get less compression - more impact, better dynamic balance to the sound.

More and more LOUD movies nowadays, with flat and distorted sound; what I don't get is why people still seems to like this.
Is it because you need this over-the-top sound system to appreciate full-range and dynamics, played so loud it literally shakes the whole neighborhood?
I don't think so.
The difference is still there if you play at a lower level, and lots of people have good and nice sounding systems.
post #18187 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post
Could not agree more, it is a great soundtrack, but still leaves you thinking how it could have been, if they just backed off 6-10dB on the level to get less compression - more impact, better dynamic balance to the sound.

More and more LOUD movies nowadays, with flat and distorted sound; what I don't get is why people still seems to like this.
Is it because you need this over-the-top sound system to appreciate full-range and dynamics, played so loud it literally shakes the whole neighborhood?
I don't think so.
The difference is still there if you play at a lower level, and lots of people have good and nice sounding systems.
Thing I find interesting is there pushing levels right to edge and this makes finding the right volume is for playback harder and harder. Once your ears are use to the loudness even with most recent releases i.e STID,Pacific Rim, Godzilla and now T4 and if your playback setup can handle these overly aggressive sound tracks while extracting the minimum of fidelity that's left in them, there are a few moments when playback at reference volume are bearable baring the occasional clipping. Perhaps if like recorded classical music the more variations out there by different symphonies, we could have more choices for better recordings but in reality, this won't work so well for movies.
post #18188 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
if the movies you mention had more bass quantity or content, then I would say no contest but as it stands with T4 digging down to 15hz ( the bottom from here is not that far) and gobs 20hz on up doesn't leave much to be desired for a movie with bass
That's the reason I created this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1611585-movies-quantity-bass-thread-4.html

Good or great bass based upon personal opinion. Some like loud low bass even with one scene (BHD), some like lots of loud bass that does not have to extend to single or teen digit and perhaps most system cannot produce that noticeable teen or single digit scene.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #18189 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 431
I didn't think of Oblivion as loud. Dynamic is the impression I have of it in memory
post #18190 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okv View Post

I don't think so.
You sure you mean Oblivion? I don't think compression or loud are words I'd use to describe it. From what I remember, the bass presentation was super clean (no compression) but low. Run it a few dbs hot and now you're talking!

I agree with your point generally tho, re: the loudness wars. Give me an OHF over TF4 any day of the week.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #18191 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Oblivion is straight reference the 50 shades of gray in bass
post #18192 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
That's the reason I created this thread
The movies with QUANTITY BASS thread

Good or great bass based upon personal opinion. Some like loud low bass even with one scene (BHD), some like lots of loud bass that does not have to extend to single or teen digit and perhaps most system cannot produce that noticeable teen or single digit scene.
Great idea

Despite what one likes or not be it quantity, level or extension, the context of this tread remains, as its implied in its title The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
post #18193 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Tranformers AOE had the quanity of bass covered. For me, the movie was excessively loud. suffered in dynamic range and there are better bass movies like Obilvion, OHF, WOTW, Tron Legacy to name a few. I watched some parts at near reference with six Dayton Ultimax pushing the air around in the room. The spl and pressure vessel effect on a sustained level is unsurpassed. I just can't give the movie more than a overall 3.5 rating out of 5 stars. A great 5 star movies comes to mind, 9, by Tim Burton.

This was one movie that I took off the bass boost and left the trim neutral or the level set by autocalibration. It was much easier to watch some of the other movies that I have mentioned at reference, even with a boost on the subwoofer trim. I loved the pluse waves in the new Godzilla compared to some of the pluse wave scenes in TAOE.

I am only speaking for me and my preference in a great movie.

Klipsch RF 7 based HT 7.4, Pioneer SC 35, Acurus 200 Five, Dayton 18 Ultimxa Dual Sub Cab(2), Dayton 18 Ultimax Large Vented Sub Cab (2), on Berhinger I Nuke DPS amps, Samsung BDP F 7500, Asus/My Book Live HPC 4 TB

Yaquin VK 2100 amp, McIntosh XR 5 speakers, Samsung BDP F 7500
post #18194 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

There are some scenes in T4 that are well designed from a sound mix stand point that are very very nice! My room is treated very well and I find it deals with reference level playback without nasty peakieness that would make me scramble for the remote! There's no talking away from a well recorded movie but if these movies where so bad they would be flat out unwatchable but that's not been my experience with them. If I was hard pressed to choose I'd take the mix in movies like Pacific Rim and others like ( speaking on the loudness problem) rather than movies that are blatantly filtered or have missed bass opportunities. Watching T4 I didn't miss a bass moment or wasn't convinced that the weight and force behind footfalls or falling large objects were lacking one bit.
post #18195 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 51
What is OHF and STID?

Sierra-2 LCR
HTM-200 rears
Rythmik E15HP
Anthem MRX-300
Samsung 8550 UHD
-$8500ish : (
post #18196 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABrah View Post
What is OHF and STID?
Olympus Has Fallen
Star Trek Into Darkness
JustABrah likes this.
post #18197 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Ralph Potts reviewed the submarine movie PHANTOM some while ago. He didn't seem to like it much, and it appears it was similarly dismissed by those posting in his review space. Just had to chime in here, though I have little time just now to do it justice. A rare case of Ralph dropping the ball -- or rather I disagree with his assessment of this as not particularly worthy. I found this unappreciated gem to be intelligent and thoroughly enjoyable -- one of the better films I've seen lately...which of course would make little impact without its KILLER SOUND TRACK. The clankthunking of the sub running into stuff rocks my room with LFE authority and sounds like you might expect if you were aboard -- extremely realistic and that is rare, oh so rare quality. Do yourself a favor and pick this up as an unheralded bass monster -- $7 from AMAZON just now......

based on this review i blind bought this from BB...

and emaych NAILED it imo...very good movie and outstanding soundtrack!

7.99... but i have spent much more on much less
post #18198 of 18205 Unread Yesterday, 05:19 PM
Okv

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Re. Oblivion:

I did say I think it is a great soundtrack, but it still is a rather loud mix.

I also analyzed this soundtrack for the Bass EQ implementation, there is heavy compression and limiting, most notably the center channel, and this causes audible distortion and when thing really gets bad, as in the canyon scene, there is just not enough headroom to make the impacts and blasts more powerful.
post #18199 of 18205 Unread Today, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Oblivion is straight reference the 50 shades of gray in bass
Is that a compliment? That is an appallingly poorly written novel.
post #18200 of 18205 Unread Today, 01:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

I really mean the actual color gray! Oblivion has all kinds of bass happing at once with impeccable fidelity , I've the gray thing since I first saw the movie and commented here on it. Now as for the book, nope never read and most likely won't see the movie
post #18201 of 18205 Unread Today, 05:13 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthandluke View Post
based on this review i blind bought this from BB...

and emaych NAILED it imo...very good movie and outstanding soundtrack!

7.99... but i have spent much more on much less

Dont mention the war!

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #18202 of 18205 Unread Today, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Haven't watched T4 yet but enjoying the banter here about it. FWIW give me Oblivions mix any day and I'll be happy, TIH is an outstanding bass movie (one of the best in terms of demo scenes), Lone Survivors use of bass was brilliant and dynamics seemed pretty good to me, WOTW a classic no doubt. None of these is perfection and I feel splitting hairs when comparing IMO. I would elevate TIH and WOTW to another level though due to the multiple epic scenes both posess. Pod emergence is a masterpiece and final abomination fight is bass Nirvana. I am a simple man when it comes to this hobby but enjoy reading other more knowledgeable peoples findings. Someone tell me that Oblivion's a genuinely well recorded mix and I'm not just sold on it because it's "loud". Data-bass mentioned it wasn't Gary Rizzo's best mix but still very good. Maybe it didn't have the most bass in a movie but what was there was very well done and the overall audio was outstanding I thought. Just curious.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
post #18203 of 18205 Unread Today, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 474
LOVED TF4

the whole sound mix was phenomenal...not sure if it was due to it being mixed for atmos or not...

the clipping can be overlooked as its the usual use for thrusters etc (not sure why that has become a common sound)

The bass was great...yes it could have been a little more extending but for what it was I thoroughly enjoyed it...shave about 40 minutes off the movie and now we are talking!

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4000 | Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp

My first HT build thread
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18204 of 18205 Unread Today, 07:00 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
Wow, you actually read it?

Sub build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub - Dual UXL'18 enclosures,iNuke6000dsp
post #18205 of 18205 Unread Today, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
Dont mention the war!

not me, brother...not me
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com