The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 613 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

notnyt's Avatar notnyt
12:12 AM Liked: 726
post #18361 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 5,153
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
The actual name of the film is Edge of Tomorrow ( EoT) and the last few pages have been filled with discussion. Graphs at Data-bass.
They renamed it for the non-theater release :/
Snowmanick's Avatar Snowmanick
12:26 AM Liked: 139
post #18362 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 1,625
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
They renamed it for the non-theater release :/
Ok, granted the marketing department pulled a stupid move and changed it to Live Die Repeat:Edge of Tomorrow but how hard is it to figure out all the posts raving about a film called Edge of Tomorrow when you are staring at a Blu-Ray that says Live.Die.Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow on the cover, the spine, and the disc?

That said, you sir are correct. They added the slogan to the title, further ensuring the film will have a hard time finding an audience.
notnyt's Avatar notnyt
12:27 AM Liked: 726
post #18363 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 5,153
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
Ok, granted the marketing department pulled a stupid move and changed it to Live Die Repeat:Edge of Tomorrow but how hard is it to figure out all the posts raving about a film called Edge of Tomorrow when you are staring at a Blu-Ray that says Live.Die.Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow on the cover, the spine, an the disc?
Yeah, he should have read the thread, agreed, I was just mentioning they named it stupidly
Snowmanick's Avatar Snowmanick
12:31 AM Liked: 139
post #18364 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 1,625
Joined: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Yeah, he should have read the thread, agreed, I was just mentioning they named it stupidly
I liked the original title of "All You Need is Kill", but I can see how that might have turned off some people. Boy did they struggle marketing this though, especially considering it is a good movie with an A list cast.
notnyt's Avatar notnyt
12:33 AM Liked: 726
post #18365 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 5,153
Joined: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
I liked the original title of "All You Need is Kill", but I can see how that might have turned off some people. Boy did they struggle marketing this though, especially considering it is a good movie with an A list cast.
I saw this movie when I was traveling in SLC, Utah. There were maybe two other people in the imax theater aside from myself and my wife. Great movie. I can't wait to watch it again at home. They really screwed up the marketing, it was really enjoyable.
Tom Grooms's Avatar Tom Grooms
01:07 AM Liked: 170
post #18366 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 2,212
Joined: Oct 2002
Thanks Trigen
AJ72's Avatar AJ72
05:34 AM Liked: 97
post #18367 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 361
Joined: Jan 2013
I remember the actors Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt travelling everywhere for the premieres of the film so it wasn't through lack of trying...... To promote the film.
Ray77085's Avatar Ray77085
07:31 AM Liked: 133
post #18368 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 718
Joined: Sep 2009
I still have a smile on my face from watching the BD of Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow yesterday !! That BASS sweep or whatever you want to call is surely a bass head's dream come true, although very short it is a MONSTER !! I turned the volume down the first time and increased it after a quick rewind. Wife and kid also enjoyed that sweep as we all could feel and hear the bass as it went real low !! The rest of the movie was also "great" and one that I'm proud to have in my collection. Another solid performing movie with T Cruise and strong deep bass even after the intense bass sweep!! Heck yeah, give me more !!
Although IMO EOT doesn't overtake Oblivion as far as the story line and visuals. Plain and simple Oblivion is just a tough movie to overtake in all aspects !! Also the overall track doesn't overtake Transformer 4 in my opinion, but very competitive !!
If you want to show off your sub and or subs then pop in EOT with that sweep, it's guaranteed to get attention !!
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater
08:27 AM Liked: 802
post #18369 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 2,005
Joined: Oct 2013
^^ Yeah, EoT is very much a fun fun movie. I'm thinking it beats Oblivion in the bass department but for my money Oblivion beats EoT in the over all use of cool audio and sound pumping through every channel.

Having said that, EoT is no slouch in the over all audio department either, in fact I think it's great. For instance there is a scene when a drop ship was flying (in the last third of the movie) and every channel was used masterfully to convey it's movement. I felt like it was flying right overhead.

So I agree with you Ray. And like I said a few pages back, Cruise has been in two movies in the last year that are just plain great in the audio department. Both are good additions to any HT library.
carp's Avatar carp
06:30 PM Liked: 727
post #18370 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 6,192
Joined: Aug 2003
I had some non avs friends over today to watch EOT. We were joking after the movie that about not really thinking of ourselves as Tom Cruise fans yet we all seem to love almost every movie he is in. Not all of course, but he really is in a lot of very entertaining movies.

EOT is one of the best he's ever been in.
discone's Avatar discone
07:18 PM Liked: 132
post #18371 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 371
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
I still have a smile on my face from watching the BD of Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow yesterday !! That BASS sweep or whatever you want to call is surely a bass head's dream come true, although very short it is a MONSTER !! I turned the volume down the first time and increased it after a quick rewind. Wife and kid also enjoyed that sweep as we all could feel and hear the bass as it went real low !! The rest of the movie was also "great" and one that I'm proud to have in my collection. Another solid performing movie with T Cruise and strong deep bass even after the intense bass sweep!! Heck yeah, give me more !!
Although IMO EOT doesn't overtake Oblivion as far as the story line and visuals. Plain and simple Oblivion is just a tough movie to overtake in all aspects !! Also the overall track doesn't overtake Transformer 4 in my opinion, but very competitive !!
If you want to show off your sub and or subs then pop in EOT with that sweep, it's guaranteed to get attention !!
Nice review Ray! I'll be looking forward to seeing, hearing, and feeling this film. I'll most likely do the same as you and start the volume low for the start to see what happens and if I can move it up a bit I will. Nice to see the film was a fun family affair.

This could be the one to play for our annual X-mas party. So far T4 is holding that spot as any movie has to be somewhat kid friendly. Last year everyone enjoyed the new TV while watching Pacific Rim, but my little passive 8" sub could not do the film justice.. This year got the new sub, so I want to surprise everyone when the movie gets going and they are all shaking in their seats from the bass!! With that sweep at the beginning this could be a good pick.

I do not know if you have seen Brick Mansions yet, but I watched it tonight and thought it was a fun bass movie. Some of the scenes the acting was not all that great although the audio made up for it.


Had a little in memory of Paul Walker at the end.... I don't know if it was added for Paul or just part of the script, but I thought it was a funny and cool at the same time to see him
Spoiler!

discone's Avatar discone
07:39 PM Liked: 132
post #18372 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 371
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I had some non avs friends over today to watch EOT. We were joking after the movie that about not really thinking of ourselves as Tom Cruise fans yet we all seem to love almost every movie he is in. Not all of course, but he really is in a lot of very entertaining movies.

EOT is one of the best he's ever been in.

Come on don't be afraid to admit that you are a fan! I won't tell!! Non AVS friends? When are you going to bring them over to the Dark Side here? Your not ashamed of us are you? It's nice to be chalking up another positive for EOT..........

I agree he does appear in a lot of good film's. I've seen most but still have missed a few like Valkyrie, Vanilla Sky, ect. I'll be waiting to see how Mission Impossible 5 does when it's released next year.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman
08:30 PM Liked: 524
post #18373 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 4,016
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Come on don't be afraid to admit that you are a fan! I won't tell!! Non AVS friends? When are you going to bring them over to the Dark Side here? Your not ashamed of us are you? It's nice to be chalking up another positive for EOT..........



I agree he does appear in a lot of good film's. I've seen most but still have missed a few like Valkyrie, Vanilla Sky, ect. I'll be waiting to see how Mission Impossible 5 does when it's released next year.

Valkyrie was ok, not sure if I saw vanilla sky. May be thinking Eyes Wide Shut which was awful.


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Ray77085's Avatar Ray77085
09:12 PM Liked: 133
post #18374 of 20080
10-12-2014 | Posts: 718
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Nice review Ray! I'll be looking forward to seeing, hearing, and feeling this film. I'll most likely do the same as you and start the volume low for the start to see what happens and if I can move it up a bit I will. Nice to see the film was a fun family affair.

This could be the one to play for our annual X-mas party. So far T4 is holding that spot as any movie has to be somewhat kid friendly. Last year everyone enjoyed the new TV while watching Pacific Rim, but my little passive 8" sub could not do the film justice.. This year got the new sub, so I want to surprise everyone when the movie gets going and they are all shaking in their seats from the bass!! With that sweep at the beginning this could be a good pick.

I do not know if you have seen Brick Mansions yet, but I watched it tonight and thought it was a fun bass movie. Some of the scenes the acting was not all that great although the audio made up for it.


Had a little in memory of Paul Walker at the end.... I don't know if it was added for Paul or just part of the script, but I thought it was a funny and cool at the same time to see him
Spoiler!
Discone thanks for your comments !! I will venture to say you and your family will enjoy EOT or TF4 as both are just pure awesomeness in the bass dept !! By all means with EOT start close to your normal listening volume, then rewind and then increase. That will be the best bet !!
Happy belated congrats on your subwoofer , as I'm sure it's a huge step up from what you had ! If you decide on EOT at your Christmas party then you will certainly give that sub at work out and bring smiles all at the same time !!

Thanks for the info on Brick Mansions and I will put it on the movie to watch list . I liked Paul W and thought he was a decent actor. It's a shame that he died so young. He reminds me of my old high school buddy's . (LOL)
OK I did a revist today with TF4 with that Dolby Atmos track engaged and the "WOW" factor hit once again !! Plenty of onscreen action with tons of bass. I can't wait for the next D Atmos track and hopefully it will sound the same as TF4. I will have to give the nod to the 7.1 Atmos track over the 5.1 discrete track, although very close. The bass slams on both tracks and with no difference !!
Anyway Godzilla 2014 should arrive at Redbox soon and I'll put that one on the movie to watch list as well.
discone's Avatar discone
08:13 AM Liked: 132
post #18375 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 371
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Discone thanks for your comments !! I will venture to say you and your family will enjoy EOT or TF4 as both are just pure awesomeness in the bass dept !! By all means with EOT start close to your normal listening volume, then rewind and then increase. That will be the best bet !!
Happy belated congrats on your subwoofer , as I'm sure it's a huge step up from what you had ! If you decide on EOT at your Christmas party then you will certainly give that sub at work out and bring smiles all at the same time !!

Thanks for the info on Brick Mansions and I will put it on the movie to watch list . I liked Paul W and thought he was a decent actor. It's a shame that he died so young. He reminds me of my old high school buddy's . (LOL)
OK I did a revist today with TF4 with that Dolby Atmos track engaged and the "WOW" factor hit once again !! Plenty of onscreen action with tons of bass. I can't wait for the next D Atmos track and hopefully it will sound the same as TF4. I will have to give the nod to the 7.1 Atmos track over the 5.1 discrete track, although very close. The bass slams on both tracks and with no difference !!
Anyway Godzilla 2014 should arrive at Redbox soon and I'll put that one on the movie to watch list as well.
YW! Thanks for the belated congrats on my new sub!! I never knew that bass could be this good or I'm sure even better. I'm a little late to the party, but will enjoy until the last beat!

Glad to hear you did not miss much in bass sound while playing the 5.1 vs 7.1 Atmos. Yes I've been waiting for Netflix to get Godzilla and it's set for release the 15th. I hope I get it quick like they did for me with TF4. I will be looking out for your thought's on it once you see it. So far your take's on most of the movie's I've seen have been spot on. Keep them coming!!
discone's Avatar discone
08:18 AM Liked: 132
post #18376 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 371
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Valkyrie was ok, not sure if I saw vanilla sky. May be thinking Eyes Wide Shut which was awful.


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]

Cool I'll give Valkyrie a try. You mention it was ok is that for the movie and bass together? I do not remember seeing this in the list.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman
08:57 AM Liked: 524
post #18377 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 4,016
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Cool I'll give Valkyrie a try. You mention it was ok is that for the movie and bass together? I do not remember seeing this in the list.

Movie, don't remember the bass. That might not be a good thing as it didn't amaze me enough to imprint into my memory I guess[emoji16]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
wth718's Avatar wth718
09:41 AM Liked: 255
post #18378 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 1,005
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Cool I'll give Valkyrie a try. You mention it was ok is that for the movie and bass together? I do not remember seeing this in the list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Movie, don't remember the bass. That might not be a good thing as it didn't amaze me enough to imprint into my memory I guess[emoji16]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Bass in Valkyrie is great! Movie? Meh to me, but that's only one man's opinion. It was widely panned for Cruise's American accent as an officer in Hitler's army.
Flageborg's Avatar Flageborg
09:56 AM Liked: 29
post #18379 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 646
Joined: Oct 2005
Is this stupid...or STUPID ?!!!

End of Tomorrow - Chapter 1, no...not really.....the movie has not even started when these STUPID low "one-note-bass" frequencies enters your room.....


wth718's Avatar wth718
10:08 AM Liked: 255
post #18380 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 1,005
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flageborg View Post
Is this stupid...or STUPID ?!!!

End of Tomorrow - Chapter 1, no...not really.....the movie has not even started when these STUPID low "one-note-bass" frequencies enters your room.....

There's been plenty of discussion about this both in this thread and in one in the DIY forum. Some people love it and see it as demo-worthy. I see it as just a series of sine waves, like you'd hear using a tone generator or REW. Not very impressed, personally.
discone's Avatar discone
10:25 AM Liked: 132
post #18381 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 371
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Movie, don't remember the bass. That might not be a good thing as it didn't amaze me enough to imprint into my memory I guess[emoji16]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Understood! Yes if it did not stick then it may have not have been that good of a memory for you to remember!! Thanks.
discone's Avatar discone
10:36 AM Liked: 132
post #18382 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 371
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Bass in Valkyrie is great! Movie? Meh to me, but that's only one man's opinion. It was widely panned for Cruise's American accent as an officer in Hitler's army.

Yes thanks for your opinion! As always I enjoy reading all thoughts on movies as it gives me different perspectives. With these I can also see things that I may have missed or not understood based on my own little world view!!

I'm going to give it a go for the bass as I have seen worse for the love of bass. You would have thought he could try to sound a little more German I'll have to see when I get the chance to view it.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater
10:36 AM Liked: 574
post #18383 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 15,145
Joined: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
There's been plenty of discussion about this both in this thread and in one in the DIY forum. Some people love it and see it as demo-worthy. I see it as just a series of sine waves, like you'd hear using a tone generator or REW. Not very impressed, personally.

We complain that we have movies with no bass and then get a intro that kills and we still complain? Maybe they should have filtered this movie and people would be happy? I am confused.
wth718's Avatar wth718
10:42 AM Liked: 255
post #18384 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 1,005
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
We complain that we have movies with no bass and then get a intro that kills and we still complain? Maybe they should have filtered this movie and people would be happy? I am confused.
What's to be confused about? You've never heard me arguing for filtered bass or louder bass at the expense of extension. But THIS bass, at THIS moment, in THIS movie was pointless to me. I also stated why I didn't like it--just sine waves connected to no action on the screen. So, no, IMO it's nothing I'd ever demo to someone. I could pull up REW and demo the same thing.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater
10:50 AM Liked: 574
post #18385 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 15,145
Joined: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
What's to be confused about? You've never heard me arguing for filtered bass or louder bass at the expense of extension. But THIS bass, at THIS moment, in THIS movie was pointless to me. I also stated why I didn't like it--just sine waves connected to no action on the screen. So, no, IMO it's nothing I'd ever demo to someone. I could pull up REW and demo the same thing.

I was joking, not really confused. To me the beginning was showing a sense of weight and doom introducing and end of the world film, just my thoughts as that is what I felt. There are many scenes in the film that have weight without massive bass effects and just feels right. I love this type of bass and when there are big blasts it still delivers. You can easily tell a difference between a bass fest and a low end supported bass fest in my room. I guess I am used to it.
wth718's Avatar wth718
10:56 AM Liked: 255
post #18386 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 1,005
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I was joking, not really confused. To me the beginning was showing a sense of weight and doom introducing and end of the world film, just my thoughts as that is what I felt. There are many scenes in the film that have weight without massive bass effects and just feels right. I love this type of bass and when there are big blasts it still delivers. You can easily tell a difference between a bass fest and a low end supported bass fest in my room. I guess I am used to it.
Ok, I guess my joke meter is on the fritz.

I did love the bass in the rest of the movie. I'm curious to see a measurement of the scene where Cruise is underwater near the end. Had a really nice weight to that.

We can agree to disagree on the opening bass--I'm sure we agree on 95% of bass in general.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater
11:13 AM Liked: 574
post #18387 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 15,145
Joined: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Ok, I guess my joke meter is on the fritz.

I did love the bass in the rest of the movie. I'm curious to see a measurement of the scene where Cruise is underwater near the end. Had a really nice weight to that.

We can agree to disagree on the opening bass--I'm sure we agree on 95% of bass in general.

Well, the opening scene at least told me this film is going to have bass which is a good thing, and low to boot. The server room scene in pulse is like a sine wave and server rooms have bass? No, it was giving us a sense of doom coming.
wth718's Avatar wth718
11:22 AM Liked: 255
post #18388 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 1,005
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Well, the opening scene at least told me this film is going to have bass which is a good thing, and low to boot. The server room scene in pulse is like a sine wave and server rooms have bass? No, it was giving us a sense of doom coming.
To me, the differences are two-fold. One the bass in Pulse's Server Room scene was more complex that a sine way. It just had more going on. Secondly, it was definitely tied to what was going on on-screen. As each pulse occurred, there was a visual cue to go with it--the room looked like it was expanding/contracting. Not to mention that there was context to it--there was plenty of bass whenever that "entity" was around, and the same effect was occurring when she first got off the elevator (hope I'm remember that part right), just at a much lower level.

EOT, on the other hand was....opening credits, music, sine wave, sine wave, sine wave, movie begins. It just didn't work for me.

Now that I think about it, at the start of Cloverfield, before anything appears on-screen, you hear the heavy footfalls of the creature. That worked for me. Why? Cuz it was clear what the sound was and it was directly tied to what was coming and what you knew about the film. You know it's about a giant monster and you hear sound that one would hear if the you were on the street with the monster.
MKtheater's Avatar MKtheater
11:45 AM Liked: 574
post #18389 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 15,145
Joined: Jul 2006
They were showing the news of battles taking place in EoT in the beginning.
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1
12:34 PM Liked: 623
post #18390 of 20080
10-13-2014 | Posts: 3,454
Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Well, the opening scene at least told me this film is going to have bass which is a good thing, and low to boot. The server room scene in pulse is like a sine wave and server rooms have bass? No, it was giving us a sense of doom coming.
All though I picked up on what we are now calling the sense of doom at the beginning and while a little cool if you get that (assuming intent here) It still sounds to much like a raw sine wave and not necessarily an sound effect. IF I have to hear another movie with a bass sweep, I'm going to pull what little hair out I have left. Its so MWTIF Time for mixers to get a little more creative or sample a less known bass effect a bit more for 2015 releases

Disclaimer: Please take note the rest of the bass in EoT is pure reference, just tired of sweeps
Tags: The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr

Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3