The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 613 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2014, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
The actual name of the film is Edge of Tomorrow ( EoT) and the last few pages have been filled with discussion. Graphs at Data-bass.
They renamed it for the non-theater release :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
They renamed it for the non-theater release :/
Ok, granted the marketing department pulled a stupid move and changed it to Live Die Repeat:Edge of Tomorrow but how hard is it to figure out all the posts raving about a film called Edge of Tomorrow when you are staring at a Blu-Ray that says Live.Die.Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow on the cover, the spine, and the disc?

That said, you sir are correct. They added the slogan to the title, further ensuring the film will have a hard time finding an audience.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ok, granted the marketing department pulled a stupid move and changed it to Live Die Repeat:Edge of Tomorrow but how hard is it to figure out all the posts raving about a film called Edge of Tomorrow when you are staring at a Blu-Ray that says Live.Die.Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow on the cover, the spine, an the disc?
Yeah, he should have read the thread, agreed, I was just mentioning they named it stupidly
Old 10-12-2014, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Yeah, he should have read the thread, agreed, I was just mentioning they named it stupidly
I liked the original title of "All You Need is Kill", but I can see how that might have turned off some people. Boy did they struggle marketing this though, especially considering it is a good movie with an A list cast.
Old 10-12-2014, 12:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I liked the original title of "All You Need is Kill", but I can see how that might have turned off some people. Boy did they struggle marketing this though, especially considering it is a good movie with an A list cast.
I saw this movie when I was traveling in SLC, Utah. There were maybe two other people in the imax theater aside from myself and my wife. Great movie. I can't wait to watch it again at home. They really screwed up the marketing, it was really enjoyable.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Thanks Trigen

Hear me now, Listen to me later....

Last edited by Tom Grooms; 10-12-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I remember the actors Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt travelling everywhere for the premieres of the film so it wasn't through lack of trying...... To promote the film.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
Old 10-12-2014, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I still have a smile on my face from watching the BD of Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow yesterday !! That BASS sweep or whatever you want to call is surely a bass head's dream come true, although very short it is a MONSTER !! I turned the volume down the first time and increased it after a quick rewind. Wife and kid also enjoyed that sweep as we all could feel and hear the bass as it went real low !! The rest of the movie was also "great" and one that I'm proud to have in my collection. Another solid performing movie with T Cruise and strong deep bass even after the intense bass sweep!! Heck yeah, give me more !!
Although IMO EOT doesn't overtake Oblivion as far as the story line and visuals. Plain and simple Oblivion is just a tough movie to overtake in all aspects !! Also the overall track doesn't overtake Transformer 4 in my opinion, but very competitive !!
If you want to show off your sub and or subs then pop in EOT with that sweep, it's guaranteed to get attention !!
discone and Hopinater like this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 716
^^ Yeah, EoT is very much a fun fun movie. I'm thinking it beats Oblivion in the bass department but for my money Oblivion beats EoT in the over all use of cool audio and sound pumping through every channel.

Having said that, EoT is no slouch in the over all audio department either, in fact I think it's great. For instance there is a scene when a drop ship was flying (in the last third of the movie) and every channel was used masterfully to convey it's movement. I felt like it was flying right overhead.

So I agree with you Ray. And like I said a few pages back, Cruise has been in two movies in the last year that are just plain great in the audio department. Both are good additions to any HT library.
Ray77085 likes this.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 775 Post(s)
Liked: 646
I had some non avs friends over today to watch EOT. We were joking after the movie that about not really thinking of ourselves as Tom Cruise fans yet we all seem to love almost every movie he is in. Not all of course, but he really is in a lot of very entertaining movies.

EOT is one of the best he's ever been in.
buddhamus and discone like this.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
I still have a smile on my face from watching the BD of Tom Cruise in Edge of Tomorrow yesterday !! That BASS sweep or whatever you want to call is surely a bass head's dream come true, although very short it is a MONSTER !! I turned the volume down the first time and increased it after a quick rewind. Wife and kid also enjoyed that sweep as we all could feel and hear the bass as it went real low !! The rest of the movie was also "great" and one that I'm proud to have in my collection. Another solid performing movie with T Cruise and strong deep bass even after the intense bass sweep!! Heck yeah, give me more !!
Although IMO EOT doesn't overtake Oblivion as far as the story line and visuals. Plain and simple Oblivion is just a tough movie to overtake in all aspects !! Also the overall track doesn't overtake Transformer 4 in my opinion, but very competitive !!
If you want to show off your sub and or subs then pop in EOT with that sweep, it's guaranteed to get attention !!
Nice review Ray! I'll be looking forward to seeing, hearing, and feeling this film. I'll most likely do the same as you and start the volume low for the start to see what happens and if I can move it up a bit I will. Nice to see the film was a fun family affair.

This could be the one to play for our annual X-mas party. So far T4 is holding that spot as any movie has to be somewhat kid friendly. Last year everyone enjoyed the new TV while watching Pacific Rim, but my little passive 8" sub could not do the film justice.. This year got the new sub, so I want to surprise everyone when the movie gets going and they are all shaking in their seats from the bass!! With that sweep at the beginning this could be a good pick.

I do not know if you have seen Brick Mansions yet, but I watched it tonight and thought it was a fun bass movie. Some of the scenes the acting was not all that great although the audio made up for it.

Had a little in memory of Paul Walker at the end.... I don't know if it was added for Paul or just part of the script, but I thought it was a funny and cool at the same time to see him
Spoiler!
Ray77085 likes this.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I had some non avs friends over today to watch EOT. We were joking after the movie that about not really thinking of ourselves as Tom Cruise fans yet we all seem to love almost every movie he is in. Not all of course, but he really is in a lot of very entertaining movies.

EOT is one of the best he's ever been in.

Come on don't be afraid to admit that you are a fan! I won't tell!! Non AVS friends? When are you going to bring them over to the Dark Side here? Your not ashamed of us are you? It's nice to be chalking up another positive for EOT..........

I agree he does appear in a lot of good film's. I've seen most but still have missed a few like Valkyrie, Vanilla Sky, ect. I'll be waiting to see how Mission Impossible 5 does when it's released next year.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 482
The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Come on don't be afraid to admit that you are a fan! I won't tell!! Non AVS friends? When are you going to bring them over to the Dark Side here? Your not ashamed of us are you? It's nice to be chalking up another positive for EOT..........

I agree he does appear in a lot of good film's. I've seen most but still have missed a few like Valkyrie, Vanilla Sky, ect. I'll be waiting to see how Mission Impossible 5 does when it's released next year.

Valkyrie was ok, not sure if I saw vanilla sky. May be thinking Eyes Wide Shut which was awful.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
discone likes this.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Nice review Ray! I'll be looking forward to seeing, hearing, and feeling this film. I'll most likely do the same as you and start the volume low for the start to see what happens and if I can move it up a bit I will. Nice to see the film was a fun family affair.

This could be the one to play for our annual X-mas party. So far T4 is holding that spot as any movie has to be somewhat kid friendly. Last year everyone enjoyed the new TV while watching Pacific Rim, but my little passive 8" sub could not do the film justice.. This year got the new sub, so I want to surprise everyone when the movie gets going and they are all shaking in their seats from the bass!! With that sweep at the beginning this could be a good pick.

I do not know if you have seen Brick Mansions yet, but I watched it tonight and thought it was a fun bass movie. Some of the scenes the acting was not all that great although the audio made up for it.

Had a little in memory of Paul Walker at the end.... I don't know if it was added for Paul or just part of the script, but I thought it was a funny and cool at the same time to see him
Spoiler!
Discone thanks for your comments !! I will venture to say you and your family will enjoy EOT or TF4 as both are just pure awesomeness in the bass dept !! By all means with EOT start close to your normal listening volume, then rewind and then increase. That will be the best bet !!
Happy belated congrats on your subwoofer , as I'm sure it's a huge step up from what you had ! If you decide on EOT at your Christmas party then you will certainly give that sub at work out and bring smiles all at the same time !!

Thanks for the info on Brick Mansions and I will put it on the movie to watch list . I liked Paul W and thought he was a decent actor. It's a shame that he died so young. He reminds me of my old high school buddy's . (LOL)
OK I did a revist today with TF4 with that Dolby Atmos track engaged and the "WOW" factor hit once again !! Plenty of onscreen action with tons of bass. I can't wait for the next D Atmos track and hopefully it will sound the same as TF4. I will have to give the nod to the 7.1 Atmos track over the 5.1 discrete track, although very close. The bass slams on both tracks and with no difference !!
Anyway Godzilla 2014 should arrive at Redbox soon and I'll put that one on the movie to watch list as well.
discone likes this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Discone thanks for your comments !! I will venture to say you and your family will enjoy EOT or TF4 as both are just pure awesomeness in the bass dept !! By all means with EOT start close to your normal listening volume, then rewind and then increase. That will be the best bet !!
Happy belated congrats on your subwoofer , as I'm sure it's a huge step up from what you had ! If you decide on EOT at your Christmas party then you will certainly give that sub at work out and bring smiles all at the same time !!

Thanks for the info on Brick Mansions and I will put it on the movie to watch list . I liked Paul W and thought he was a decent actor. It's a shame that he died so young. He reminds me of my old high school buddy's . (LOL)
OK I did a revist today with TF4 with that Dolby Atmos track engaged and the "WOW" factor hit once again !! Plenty of onscreen action with tons of bass. I can't wait for the next D Atmos track and hopefully it will sound the same as TF4. I will have to give the nod to the 7.1 Atmos track over the 5.1 discrete track, although very close. The bass slams on both tracks and with no difference !!
Anyway Godzilla 2014 should arrive at Redbox soon and I'll put that one on the movie to watch list as well.
YW! Thanks for the belated congrats on my new sub!! I never knew that bass could be this good or I'm sure even better. I'm a little late to the party, but will enjoy until the last beat!

Glad to hear you did not miss much in bass sound while playing the 5.1 vs 7.1 Atmos. Yes I've been waiting for Netflix to get Godzilla and it's set for release the 15th. I hope I get it quick like they did for me with TF4. I will be looking out for your thought's on it once you see it. So far your take's on most of the movie's I've seen have been spot on. Keep them coming!!
Ray77085 likes this.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
Valkyrie was ok, not sure if I saw vanilla sky. May be thinking Eyes Wide Shut which was awful.

Cool I'll give Valkyrie a try. You mention it was ok is that for the movie and bass together? I do not remember seeing this in the list.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Cool I'll give Valkyrie a try. You mention it was ok is that for the movie and bass together? I do not remember seeing this in the list.

Movie, don't remember the bass. That might not be a good thing as it didn't amaze me enough to imprint into my memory I guess[emoji16]

Old 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Quote:
Movie, don't remember the bass. That might not be a good thing as it didn't amaze me enough to imprint into my memory I guess[emoji16]

Bass in Valkyrie is great! Movie? Meh to me, but that's only one man's opinion. It was widely panned for Cruise's American accent as an officer in Hitler's army.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is this stupid...or STUPID ?!!!

End of Tomorrow - Chapter 1, no...not really.....the movie has not even started when these STUPID low "one-note-bass" frequencies enters your room.....

MemX likes this.

Last edited by Flageborg; 10-13-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flageborg View Post
Is this stupid...or STUPID ?!!!

End of Tomorrow - Chapter 1, no...not really.....the movie has not even started when these STUPID low "one-note-bass" frequencies enters your room.....

There's been plenty of discussion about this both in this thread and in one in the DIY forum. Some people love it and see it as demo-worthy. I see it as just a series of sine waves, like you'd hear using a tone generator or REW. Not very impressed, personally.
audiofan1 likes this.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:

Understood! Yes if it did not stick then it may have not have been that good of a memory for you to remember!! Thanks.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Bass in Valkyrie is great! Movie? Meh to me, but that's only one man's opinion. It was widely panned for Cruise's American accent as an officer in Hitler's army.

Yes thanks for your opinion! As always I enjoy reading all thoughts on movies as it gives me different perspectives. With these I can also see things that I may have missed or not understood based on my own little world view!!

I'm going to give it a go for the bass as I have seen worse for the love of bass. You would have thought he could try to sound a little more German I'll have to see when I get the chance to view it.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
There's been plenty of discussion about this both in this thread and in one in the DIY forum. Some people love it and see it as demo-worthy. I see it as just a series of sine waves, like you'd hear using a tone generator or REW. Not very impressed, personally.

We complain that we have movies with no bass and then get a intro that kills and we still complain? Maybe they should have filtered this movie and people would be happy? I am confused.
asoofi1 likes this.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
We complain that we have movies with no bass and then get a intro that kills and we still complain? Maybe they should have filtered this movie and people would be happy? I am confused.
What's to be confused about? You've never heard me arguing for filtered bass or louder bass at the expense of extension. But THIS bass, at THIS moment, in THIS movie was pointless to me. I also stated why I didn't like it--just sine waves connected to no action on the screen. So, no, IMO it's nothing I'd ever demo to someone. I could pull up REW and demo the same thing.
Flageborg and audiofan1 like this.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
What's to be confused about? You've never heard me arguing for filtered bass or louder bass at the expense of extension. But THIS bass, at THIS moment, in THIS movie was pointless to me. I also stated why I didn't like it--just sine waves connected to no action on the screen. So, no, IMO it's nothing I'd ever demo to someone. I could pull up REW and demo the same thing.

I was joking, not really confused. To me the beginning was showing a sense of weight and doom introducing and end of the world film, just my thoughts as that is what I felt. There are many scenes in the film that have weight without massive bass effects and just feels right. I love this type of bass and when there are big blasts it still delivers. You can easily tell a difference between a bass fest and a low end supported bass fest in my room. I guess I am used to it.
audiofan1 likes this.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was joking, not really confused. To me the beginning was showing a sense of weight and doom introducing and end of the world film, just my thoughts as that is what I felt. There are many scenes in the film that have weight without massive bass effects and just feels right. I love this type of bass and when there are big blasts it still delivers. You can easily tell a difference between a bass fest and a low end supported bass fest in my room. I guess I am used to it.
Ok, I guess my joke meter is on the fritz.

I did love the bass in the rest of the movie. I'm curious to see a measurement of the scene where Cruise is underwater near the end. Had a really nice weight to that.

We can agree to disagree on the opening bass--I'm sure we agree on 95% of bass in general.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Ok, I guess my joke meter is on the fritz.

I did love the bass in the rest of the movie. I'm curious to see a measurement of the scene where Cruise is underwater near the end. Had a really nice weight to that.

We can agree to disagree on the opening bass--I'm sure we agree on 95% of bass in general.

Well, the opening scene at least told me this film is going to have bass which is a good thing, and low to boot. The server room scene in pulse is like a sine wave and server rooms have bass? No, it was giving us a sense of doom coming.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, the opening scene at least told me this film is going to have bass which is a good thing, and low to boot. The server room scene in pulse is like a sine wave and server rooms have bass? No, it was giving us a sense of doom coming.
To me, the differences are two-fold. One the bass in Pulse's Server Room scene was more complex that a sine way. It just had more going on. Secondly, it was definitely tied to what was going on on-screen. As each pulse occurred, there was a visual cue to go with it--the room looked like it was expanding/contracting. Not to mention that there was context to it--there was plenty of bass whenever that "entity" was around, and the same effect was occurring when she first got off the elevator (hope I'm remember that part right), just at a much lower level.

EOT, on the other hand was....opening credits, music, sine wave, sine wave, sine wave, movie begins. It just didn't work for me.

Now that I think about it, at the start of Cloverfield, before anything appears on-screen, you hear the heavy footfalls of the creature. That worked for me. Why? Cuz it was clear what the sound was and it was directly tied to what was coming and what you knew about the film. You know it's about a giant monster and you hear sound that one would hear if the you were on the street with the monster.
Flageborg likes this.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They were showing the news of battles taking place in EoT in the beginning.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 547
Quote:
All though I picked up on what we are now calling the sense of doom at the beginning and while a little cool if you get that (assuming intent here) It still sounds to much like a raw sine wave and not necessarily an sound effect. IF I have to hear another movie with a bass sweep, I'm going to pull what little hair out I have left. Its so MWTIF Time for mixers to get a little more creative or sample a less known bass effect a bit more for 2015 releases

Disclaimer: Please take note the rest of the bass in EoT is pure reference, just tired of sweeps
mo949 likes this.

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr