The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 619 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18541 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 03:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
WOW, sounds like you are putting in some OT and hopefully some extra bucks in your pocket ! I gave Godzilla BD a spin late Sunday evening, a rental from RedBox. I thought the bass was plentiful throughout the entire movie and some of it pretty deep ! Now I'll admit to turning the master volume up higher on my avr.You are right not good as Cloverfield in terms of deep extension, but I did feel plenty and it did give my subs a good work out. The bass was pretty darn good IMO and I was not disappointed in the least ! The odd thing was when Godzilla was walking around the bass was not as deep as it was with the other Monsters.

I agree there should have been more brawling with more deep extension bass. I'm going to snatch a BD on the cheap and it to my collection as it was not a bad movie overall IMO .
I also tried to watch X-Men: Days of Future Past, but could not hang. Yep, you guessed it I kept dosing off. I purchased the BD and so I will give it another try later. From what I recall the movie was a little slow and or started that way. To be honest I will need to give it another spin as there was some low bass moments, but nothing like X-Men First class .

I have also found an electrical issue that appeared out of nowhere in my HT room. Our house was built in 2001 and so I never would have guessed that it would have an issue like this !! When the HVAC turns on it creates a hum/buzz sound in one of the subs !! Could be a ground loop issue ? I'm going to try a ground loop isolator before calling out an electrician to see if that resolves the issue. Right now I have all of the subs turned off and not set to the auto on feature.
Awesome!!! Glad to hear the sound from Godzilla was good for you! Maybe I needed to turn it up a little more to hear and feel the bass better. I had the volume set at my normal movie level. I did hear and feel some just not as much as I thought I should. When Godzilla made his first foot stomping appearance the bass was shaking our seats, but later as you stated the M.O.T.O.'s were giving more rumble. I'm a fan of the old Godzilla's and this was not to bad so I may have to pick this one up and do a revisit with the volume cranked up a bit more.

I'm looking forward to X-Men: DOFP and hope it does not put me to sleep!! I'll make sure the volume is up on this one. Will be bumping up First Class in my queue for a revisit before I watch the new one. If you do a revisit before I catch the new one and make it through without falling asleep please do a post of your thought's.

Sorry to hear about your ground hum from the sub. Hope the isolator takes care of that issue so you can go back to enjoying the movie's!
Ray77085 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18542 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Thanks for your comments. I'm on it , as I may swing by a Rat shack and pick up a ground loop isolator to see if that will take care of the issue. I'd rather take on a plumbing problem over an electrical any day. LOL....
I agree with you on that. Every time I read about someone tackling a hum in the system it's usually a ground loop and it goes one of two ways. They either solve it within 15 minutes or they end up ripping apart their entire system item by item trying to isolate the hum. So I really hope you find it fast and eliminate it so you don't have to go through all that frustration. Good luck, hope the isolator works for you.
Ray77085 likes this.
post #18543 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I have also had some experience with a Hum. I have 4 Ultimax 15s conencted to a CV-5000. Believe me when i say in this case, wiring can definitely play a part in fixing it. Plus a ground loop isolator as well.

When i first hooked it all up, there was a really loud hum. To the point where it was almost louder than the voices. I couldn't take it at all and was worried as this was my first DIY project. At this point, i had cheap monoprice RCAs connected to the Amps. I had previously purchased some Master Series RCA cables at a really cheap price but never used them. So i decided to switch them out to see what would happen. Well, the new wires reduced the noise by 80%, if not more. I was actually shocked. The more expensive wires for once actually made a difference.

Although it took care of the majority of noise, there was still some noticeable Hum left. So i got a Ground Loop Isolator and that took care of the rest. Now, it is virtually silent. I say virtually because if you but your ear to the sub and put the volume high (with no content playing obviously) you can still hear a faint hum. But once you stand even 1 foot away, it is silent.

So my point is, wiring can also play a part in the Hum. But the Isolator should do the trick.
Ray77085 likes this.
post #18544 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
How sad, re: How to Train Your Dragon 2. Was looking forward to this. My son can watch Nemo and HTTYD 1 as often as he desires because of the great bass.
post #18545 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
So I finally picked up EOT yesterday and plan to spin it tonight. But last night I had 5 spare minutes right before bed, so I ran upstairs and dropped it in real quick to hear that opening bass sweep everyones been taking about. It lived up to expectations. Pure bass heaven on dual SVS cylinders. I was actually surprised how clean it was. On the first pass I had the volume tamped down down to make sure I didn't blow anything, so I started cranking it up higher and higher. Fantastic.

After a few sweeps, I'm sitting there giggling like a kid, and my wife suddenly appears in the room, hands on her hips, and asks what the frack I'm doing. Feeling like I just got caught with my hand in the cookie jar, I say, "Um, I was listening to bass sweeps from that new movie I told you about." Long pause. Play it for me, she says, and sits down. Surprised at this, I happily oblige, and let it rip at near reference.

After the room quits shaking, she looks at me and says, "That was awesome." I'd expected her to yawn, or say guys are such dorks, or whatever, but nothing like this. So I say, "You're kidding me, right? You're just messing with me." But she says, "No, I love bass like that. It was AWESOME." I nearly fell out of my chair.

True freaking story. Wife is a bass head. She'll probably "make me" play EOT tonight. Unbelievable.
Wow, if she wasn't already your wife I'd be saying you need to marry that woman right away! lol
mogrub likes this.
post #18546 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Has anyone seen the movie The Rover? And if so does it have good bass and an overall good soundtrack? I reserved it at Redbox since there was nothing else worth getting that I haven't seen.
post #18547 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Awesome!!! Glad to hear the sound from Godzilla was good for you! Maybe I needed to turn it up a little more to hear and feel the bass better. I had the volume set at my normal movie level. I did hear and feel some just not as much as I thought I should. When Godzilla made his first foot stomping appearance the bass was shaking our seats, but later as you stated the M.O.T.O.'s were giving more rumble. I'm a fan of the old Godzilla's and this was not to bad so I may have to pick this one up and do a revisit with the volume cranked up a bit more.

I'm looking forward to X-Men: DOFP and hope it does not put me to sleep!! I'll make sure the volume is up on this one. Will be bumping up First Class in my queue for a revisit before I watch the new one. If you do a revisit before I catch the new one and make it through without falling asleep please do a post of your thought's.

Sorry to hear about your ground hum from the sub. Hope the isolator takes care of that issue so you can go back to enjoying the movie's!
Yep,
If and when you have time I would suggest giving Godzilla another spin !! The bass is certainly there with a lot of most likely mid-bass. Turn the avr master volume up, let's say 5-db higher than your normal volume and that should do it.
Appears we might be heading towards another movies with no bass drought and so I will be giving X-Men: DOFP another spin and well rested prior !!
You will enjoy X-Men FC with your new sub and that's guaranteed !! I have all of the X-Men on BD and that one is the best so far bass wise.
As far as what I think is a ground loop issue, I will fiddle around this coming weekend in hopes to make it go away.
discone likes this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #18548 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I agree with you on that. Every time I read about someone tackling a hum in the system it's usually a ground loop and it goes one of two ways. They either solve it within 15 minutes or they end up ripping apart their entire system item by item trying to isolate the hum. So I really hope you find it fast and eliminate it so you don't have to go through all that frustration. Good luck, hope the isolator works for you.
I hope you are correct as I would like to get rid of it and make it go away within 15-mins. !!
It appears to be isolated to one of the lower end Klipsch RW-12d subs that's plugged into a cheap surge protector . The HSU subs are plugged into these Belkin PureAV® PF30 Home Theater Power Console.
Thanks

Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
post #18549 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
I have also had some experience with a Hum. I have 4 Ultimax 15s conencted to a CV-5000. Believe me when i say in this case, wiring can definitely play a part in fixing it. Plus a ground loop isolator as well.

When i first hooked it all up, there was a really loud hum. To the point where it was almost louder than the voices. I couldn't take it at all and was worried as this was my first DIY project. At this point, i had cheap monoprice RCAs connected to the Amps. I had previously purchased some Master Series RCA cables at a really cheap price but never used them. So i decided to switch them out to see what would happen. Well, the new wires reduced the noise by 80%, if not more. I was actually shocked. The more expensive wires for once actually made a difference.

Although it took care of the majority of noise, there was still some noticeable Hum left. So i got a Ground Loop Isolator and that took care of the rest. Now, it is virtually silent. I say virtually because if you but your ear to the sub and put the volume high (with no content playing obviously) you can still hear a faint hum. But once you stand even 1 foot away, it is silent.

So my point is, wiring can also play a part in the Hum. But the Isolator should do the trick.
Many thanks for taking time to post your experience with what I think is my issue !! I did not notice the hum until a quite moment occurred during playback of a movie. Heck I thought it was part of the sound track for a moment. (LOL).
When you say you connected the Master Series cables are you talking about the Acoustic Research ? If so I have them and I love those locking ends. I have them all, sub cables, analog, component (not used anymore), and the 10-gauge speaker wire. Spent a good chunk of change on all of those back in the day and still use the majority of them. The sub with issue has a Blue Jean LC-1 Subwoofer Cable, 33 foot long that is also a quality made cable.
Anyway I'm going to fiddle around this weekend by moving subs around and changing the sub cables. I need to make certain it's not the sub-amp.

post #18550 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 06:30 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
Has anyone seen the movie The Rover? And if so does it have good bass and an overall good soundtrack? I reserved it at Redbox since there was nothing else worth getting that I haven't seen.
Watched it a couple weeks ago,I don't recall anything special in the bass department,but I just finished The Purge Anarchy and I was very pleased with the soundtrack.Great use of the LFE and decent flick- a lot better than the first one.
Source- Blu ray

post #18551 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Many thanks for taking time to post your experience with what I think is my issue !! I did not notice the hum until a quite moment occurred during playback of a movie. Heck I thought it was part of the sound track for a moment. (LOL).
When you say you connected the Master Series cables are you talking about the Acoustic Research ? If so I have them and I love those locking ends. I have them all, sub cables, analog, component (not used anymore), and the 10-gauge speaker wire. Spent a good chunk of change on all of those back in the day and still use the majority of them. The sub with issue has a Blue Jean LC-1 Subwoofer Cable, 33 foot long that is also a quality made cable.
Anyway I'm going to fiddle around this weekend by moving subs around and changing the sub cables. I need to make certain it's not the sub-amp.
Correct. Acoustic Research. The locking ends are definitely awesome. Since doing the sub cable, I changed all my RCA to MS. I wanted to get their speaker cable but it is hard to come by now. I wish they still made the cables. Good luck with everything.
post #18552 of 18570 Old 10-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemX View Post
Wow, if she wasn't already your wife I'd be saying you need to marry that woman right away! lol
Nice MemX, but I probably couldn't talk Her into it again. She knows me too well, and I've already used most of my best lines.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #18553 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Yep,
If and when you have time I would suggest giving Godzilla another spin !! The bass is certainly there with a lot of most likely mid-bass. Turn the avr master volume up, let's say 5-db higher than your normal volume and that should do it.
Appears we might be heading towards another movies with no bass drought and so I will be giving X-Men: DOFP another spin and well rested prior !!
You will enjoy X-Men FC with your new sub and that's guaranteed !! I have all of the X-Men on BD and that one is the best so far bass wise.
As far as what I think is a ground loop issue, I will fiddle around this coming weekend in hopes to make it go away.

A Bass drought????????? Say it isn't so!! I guess I'll add a flick or two each week to my queue so I don't suffer bad Bass withdraw symptoms.

Thanks for the heads up on First Class and I bumped it up so I may get it this weekend. Still have to wait till 11-11 to get DOFP though.
Ray77085 likes this.
post #18554 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I haven't watched Oz: The Great and The Poweful blu-ray since it released, and I also only had a single 15" sub at the time. I watched it the other night, and holy smoke I'd forgotten how much of a blast-fest the final sequence was! And with 3 x 15" subs now it was pretty intense. I've added this one to my list of demo material.

Defeat of Deduct must go over Defense before Detail does.
post #18555 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I watched The Desolation of Smaug Extended from iTunes last night and my gut tells me that the bass was improved from the theatrical blu-ray. I haven't watched the theatrical version in a while, but the extended version pretty much gave me what I would have expected for the content of the movie.
post #18556 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 154
fury is going to have some awesome demo scenes for bass and surround when it comes out on blu-ray unless they mess up the audio really bad from the theatrical cut
post #18557 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
fury is going to have some awesome demo scenes for bass and surround when it comes out on blu-ray unless they mess up the audio really bad from the theatrical cut
There is no filter on the 5.1 master for HT.

I didn't "mess" it up.
Fatshaft, Toe, V.X.Donique and 7 others like this.
post #18558 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

I didn't "mess" it up.
Day one buy for me!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #18559 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
Sh!t movie. Nothing too interesting in terms of audio.
post #18560 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

I didn't "mess" it up.
Awesome!!
A L Wong likes this.
post #18561 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04rex View Post
Correct. Acoustic Research. The locking ends are definitely awesome. Since doing the sub cable, I changed all my RCA to MS. I wanted to get their speaker cable but it is hard to come by now. I wish they still made the cables. Good luck with everything.
Just check ebay or amazon occasionally and you may get lucky !! I agree they should have kept making the master series line. I was lucky to find a pair for my front wides and the center speaker a year or two ago. I already had the front right and left speakers connected.
To be honest I use to have darn near everything Acoustic Research from their subwoofer and speakers. Still use side surrounds.

post #18562 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:

I didn't "mess" it up.

What movie is HT? Thanks!!
post #18563 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
A Bass drought????????? Say it isn't so!! I guess I'll add a flick or two each week to my queue so I don't suffer bad Bass withdraw symptoms.

Thanks for the heads up on First Class and I bumped it up so I may get it this weekend. Still have to wait till 11-11 to get DOFP though.
Yep, well I don't know of anymore block busters that are from the summer that on the way to BD.
Now these may turn out to be good, but IDK. Maleficent could be or Hercules both on BD 11/04/14 ???
I see from the previous post above that ,How to Train Your Dragon 2 doesn't have the deep slamming bass that HTTYD has. HTTYD is indeed a bass monster !!
I guess we shall see and hear. (LOL)

post #18564 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
No movie but I think it's short for Home Theater.

post #18565 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

carp...c'mon man!
audiofan1 likes this.
post #18566 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

I didn't "mess" it up.
OMG! Thank you soooooooooooo much for thinking of us!!!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dancing-Homer-Gif.gif
Views:	124
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	325602  

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #18567 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
No movie but I think it's short for Home Theater.
Just to clarify, he was talking about the HT mix for the movie Fury.
post #18568 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Fury is in the theaters now, Film Mixer is referring to the Blu Ray HT version on Fury.
post #18569 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
OMG! Thank you soooooooooooo much for thinking of us!!!

The bad news is nothing under 35hz
post #18570 of 18570 Old Yesterday, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Haha, well that's what I get for checking this thread very sporadically.

audiofan1 likes this.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page