The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 620 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #18571 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You sir, are the man. Real tanks don't have a filter, so I am glad you went about this the "right" way, haha. Any 10hz or lower material make it into the mix?
Well, if they actually recorded real tanks and they did not add a filter it has to be there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #18572 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Can someone tell me why some Blu-ray movies have the bass filtered? What is the point of filtering bass?
post #18573 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked: 882
depends, some feel "no one" has the capability anyways below a certain point, but for the most part, commercial theater subs are already high passed between 20 and 30hz so they do their mixes accordingly. When the "HT" is done separately, they are leaving it the same as the commercial mix in some cases.

I think Avengers actually put the filter in so they could just go insane with the >30hz material and not worry about system limitation below that point. I think I remember someone mentioning something about that. I am not @FilmMixer though, he likely could give you the exact answer you are looking for.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #18574 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJoy View Post
I watched The Desolation of Smaug Extended from iTunes last night and my gut tells me that the bass was improved from the theatrical blu-ray. I haven't watched the theatrical version in a while, but the extended version pretty much gave me what I would have expected for the content of the movie.
The theatrical and extended have the same LFE content, no difference.
post #18575 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Weren't blurays bragging about being the same as the master? Are masters mixed for the theaters? Then there needs to be HT mixes on bluray all the time. Basically, no filters.
post #18576 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
Has anyone seen the movie The Rover? And if so does it have good bass and an overall good soundtrack? I reserved it at Redbox since there was nothing else worth getting that I haven't seen.
decent enough flic - not much in low frequency but remember really enjoying the soundtrack

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
post #18577 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Weren't blurays bragging about being the same as the master? Are masters mixed for the theaters? Then there needs to be HT mixes on bluray all the time. Basically, no filters.
Sadly, that isn't the case. I had a lengthy conversation with a well known mixer, and he explained that most movies are remixed for disc. Disc mixing apparently involves lower levels and speakers positioned closer to the mixer.

My personal opinion on this: Positioning the speakers closer to the mixer, assuming they're level and FR compensated, should have basically no effect. Other than making the room a bit closer to anechoic, because the speakers are now quite close to the listener and far from the walls. Mixing at a different level, whether it's up or down, completely destroys the entire purpose of a reference level. We can do our own level compensation for various listening levels on the playback side, but only if we know where reference was. It seems that we'd be better off just getting the theatrical mix. But because I (we) never have the opportunity to hear both mixes on the same system, it's hard to accurately judge.

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #18578 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Just watched X-Men First Class and DOFP back to back at Reference and my initial impressions were correct:

For folks who don't fiddle with re-EQ'ing the bass individually for every single different movie, the 2 movies aren't in the same league.

Of course, according to the folks at DB, if you're willing to spend money on a PEQ and plug in individualized EQ curves for individual movies, even Battleship can be 'decent'.

Max
wth718 likes this.
post #18579 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Actually if you look at each one first class is a little louder. The recommendation for DOFP is to turn up the LFE, no EQ involved.
AJ72 likes this.
post #18580 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Yep, well I don't know of anymore block busters that are from the summer that on the way to BD.
Now these may turn out to be good, but IDK. Maleficent could be or Hercules both on BD 11/04/14 ???
I see from the previous post above that ,How to Train Your Dragon 2 doesn't have the deep slamming bass that HTTYD has. HTTYD is indeed a bass monster !!
I guess we shall see and hear. (LOL)
don't forget about guardians of the galaxy! i really can't wait for that one myself....it was probably my favorite movie of the year, and it has some great promise of a dynamic track. the soundtrack is definitely good too....some oldies and goodies.
post #18581 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I'm sure you will love Three Musketeers for audio!

Just watched this- can not believe I had not even heard of this film until you made reference recently
(and I watch a frackin lot of movie)
Soundtrack was incredible - thanks for heads up -
Toe likes this.

post #18582 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Just watched this- can not believe I had not even heard of this film until you made reference recently
(and I watch a frackin lot of movie)
Soundtrack was incredible - thanks for heads up -

Glad you enjoyed it!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #18583 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it!
Toe I missed your original post -- which Three Musketeers movie version is this?

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #18584 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 09:47 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
toe i missed your original post -- which three musketeers movie version is this?
post #18585 of 18600 Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 PM
Okv

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Sadly, this seems to progress only further in the wrong direction.
If the people applauding Atmos and loosing their sleep over which cables to choose knew how the "near-field" soundtracks delivered on many BDs were made they would have a heart-attack.

One of the problems is the reviewers cheering along as dynamic range drops, levels are pushed LOUDer, with clipping and distortion as inevitable consequence - and you damage your hearing trying to get at least some impact out of it.

The bass filtering is a minor issue, because that can actually be fixed.
Dynamic compression and distortion is impossible to fix.

But there is a solution to this.
They only need to provide the theatrical mix on the disc
, preferably in the HD tracks, then the neutered version could be provided as additional DTS/DD tracks.
Personally I would take a lossy DTS/DD any day over a near-field HD.
post #18586 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
don't forget about guardians of the galaxy! i really can't wait for that one myself....it was probably my favorite movie of the year, and it has some great promise of a dynamic track. the soundtrack is definitely good too....some oldies and goodies.
NICE !!!
Thanks for pointing that one out ! I certainly would like to give that one a spin once on BD.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #18587 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 02:59 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Yep, well I don't know of anymore block busters that are from the summer that on the way to BD.
Now these may turn out to be good, but IDK. Maleficent could be or Hercules both on BD 11/04/14 ???
I see from the previous post above that ,How to Train Your Dragon 2 doesn't have the deep slamming bass that HTTYD has. HTTYD is indeed a bass monster !!
I guess we shall see and hear. (LOL)
Yes I hope those two movies have some good bass as they are on my watch list. So is HTTYD 2 and that is the bass does not match the first one. I have Snowpiercer coming today and I hear the bass is not to bad. It is a film with director Joon-ho Bong and the last film I saw he did was The Host. I have to revist that one as I hear it had some good bass. The only draw back is since it is a foreign film it has sub titles. The film has horror, comedy, ect and was not that bad.

How is the hum issue coming along? Did you get the isolator yet?
post #18588 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 04:33 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Toe I missed your original post -- which Three Musketeers movie version is this?
As Trigen mentioned, the 2011 version. Give it a spin!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #18589 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post
Just watched X-Men First Class and DOFP back to back at Reference and my initial impressions were correct:

For folks who don't fiddle with re-EQ'ing the bass individually for every single different movie, the 2 movies aren't in the same league.

Max
Completely agree. Watched it again 2 nights ago at my normal "non-enhanced' levels and even the widely touted scenes are less than overwhelming. Sure, they dig low, but the levels are so low..... If you aren't running your system really hot this is nothing to write home about. The scene caps Bosso did over on d-b.com are with his system run 8 dbs hot--and I don't think he ever runs hot.
post #18590 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigen View Post
Quote:
As Trigen mentioned, the 2011 version. Give it a spin!
Thanks guys, I will.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #18591 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Yes I hope those two movies have some good bass as they are on my watch list. So is HTTYD 2 and that is the bass does not match the first one. I have Snowpiercer coming today and I hear the bass is not to bad. It is a film with director Joon-ho Bong and the last film I saw he did was The Host. I have to revist that one as I hear it had some good bass. The only draw back is since it is a foreign film it has sub titles. The film has horror, comedy, ect and was not that bad.

I think you'll like Snowpiercer. I watched it last night and thought the movie was good, and felt the bass was great too (running 4db hot at MV -15). This is the first movie I watched after wiring up my first DIY sub, DO SI 18[emoji16], so not totally dialed in but damn impressed[emoji106]

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
discone likes this.
post #18592 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 552
me personally thought snowpeircer bass wasn't very good...and i didnt care for the movie all that much...but thats me

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPA-5 | PSB imagine B's | PSB image c5 | PSB B4's | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

My first HT build threadhttp://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...rst-build.html
post #18593 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post

I have the HTTYD on BD and it's a bass monster !! Based on what other posters have posted in this thread a page or 2 ago, about the HTTYD2 they say the bass is not that good !! I will still give it a spin once released on BD. Yes, post your thoughts on Snowpiercer as I may watch it from Redbox. I have not heard much about that one.
I'm going to address the hum issue this weekend and hopefully it will be a thing of the past.
Thanks for asking !!
discone likes this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #18594 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Anyone graph Earth to Echo? Just watched it - appears to be unfiltered, especially at the end, there is a scene that goes on for over a minute.

Last edited by raynist; Yesterday at 07:18 PM.
post #18595 of 18600 Old Yesterday, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
me personally thought snowpeircer bass wasn't very good...and i didnt care for the movie all that much...but thats me
I loved the movie and the overall sound mix, the bass was good as well as it had good room penetration. I did however notice a bit of clipping but not from the bass
discone likes this.
post #18596 of 18600 Old Today, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I think you'll like Snowpiercer. I watched it last night and thought the movie was good, and felt the bass was great too (running 4db hot at MV -15). This is the first movie I watched after wiring up my first DIY sub, DO SI 18[emoji16], so not totally dialed in but damn impressed[emoji106]

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Thanks for the head's up! You were right I did enjoy the movie! I thought the bass was good when it was there and did feel it pulsing
Spoiler!

IMO it is a film that is at least worth a rent!
post #18597 of 18600 Old Today, 03:03 AM

Quote:
I have the HTTYD on BD and it's a bass monster !! Based on what other posters have posted in this thread a page or 2 ago, about the HTTYD2 they say the bass is not that good !! I will still give it a spin once released on BD. Yes, post your thoughts on Snowpiercer as I may watch it from Redbox. I have not heard much about that one.
I'm going to address the hum issue this weekend and hopefully it will be a thing of the past.
Thanks for asking !!

If no other movie is on your watch list then I think you may like Snowpiercer for a one time rent. I put it at my starting movie spot of MV -13 and did leave it there even though it was loud like T4. I thought the wife was going to tell me to turn it down a notch, but she sat through it!
post #18598 of 18600 Old Today, 03:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
I loved the movie and the overall sound mix, the bass was good as well as it had good room penetration. I did however notice a bit of clipping but not from the bass
Yes - Snowpiercer was great all around - another film the director did which I really liked was the Host - one from 2006 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/

post #18599 of 18600 Old Today, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
Yes - Snowpiercer was great all around - another film the director did which I really liked was the Host - one from 2006 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468492/
Thanks for the heads up! I'll put it in the NF que
post #18600 of 18600 Old Today, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Just watched Pulse for the first time last night. My wife hates scary movies so I said lets watch this..When the server room scene came on she said to me, " this is the only reason you bought this movie isn't it"..I laughed.. Then she said out of all the movies you pick this one because of that scene..She asked how I even found out about it..I pointed her to the forum..lol

Sub build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub - Dual UXL'18 enclosures,iNuke6000dsp
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page