The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 644 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19291 of 19309 Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
wth718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 970
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
Watching it tonight/Tuesday with my son...
We're both looking forward to this one

will get back with my thoughts
How old is your son? I liked the movie a lot, but it has graphic violence in it, so you may want to keep that in mind.
wth718 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19292 of 19309 Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Fatshaft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 1,490
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
How old is your son? I liked the movie a lot, but it has graphic violence in it, so you may want to keep that in mind.
Thanks...he's 21...
He's soo looking forward to it.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Fatshaft is offline  
post #19293 of 19309 Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hey Guy's I don't want to derail this thread to much but I'm curious. If there is a better place to get answer please direct me. With the past few movies it seems I missed the boat so to say. I listen to most movies at -13 and they sound good most of the time with bass like T4, but with GOTG it was meh.

So is it good to get a meter to check volume at start of movies so they are all at same level ? So if I play T4 at -13 and that is 65db but GOTG is -10 to get 65db will that help even the playing field so to speak? Or is this even more complicated with trim level boost, dynamic range, ect. ?

Just want to squeeze all that bass out that I can, because it's all about the Bass, all about the Bass no treble! I couldn't help it had to say it!

Or should I just stop thinking about it sit back and enjoy the Movie!
discone is offline  
post #19294 of 19309 Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,818
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 532
This is HT, you can watch anyway you wish. Movies are recorded at different levels and have different extensions. Many people love TF4 and it was recorded loud(5+ star) but buy the time it hits 10hz it is much lower in volume. I like having both loud and low. The new X-men movie is recorded 5 dBs lower overall but it louder 5 dBs down low. Turn up the sub trim on X-men to TF4 level and the differences are obvious to me. Another example is EoT where it is recorded only 2 dBs lower than TF4 WITHOUT the opening scene and extends to 5hz! Of course your system needs to handle this to tell the difference.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.

Last edited by MKtheater; 12-16-2014 at 01:46 PM.
MKtheater is online now  
post #19295 of 19309 Old 12-16-2014, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
This is HT, you can watch anyway you wish. Movies are recorded at different levels and have different extensions. Many people love TF4 and it was recorded loud(5+ star) but buy the time it hits 10hz it is much lower in volume. I like having both loud and low. The new X-men movie is recorded 5 dBs lower overall but it louder 5 dBs down low. Turn up the sub trim on X-men to TF4 level and the differences are obvious to me. Another example is EoT where it is recorded only 2 dBs lower than TF4 WITHOUT the opening scene and extends to 5hz! Of course your system needs to handle this to tell the difference.
Thank's MK!

I know I still have some to learn about it all as I'm still new to this step up. Your explanation helped me understand a little better. Been coming here a little while now and see every one has their own opinions on movies. Some with better systems also. I was just trying to see if there was a way to make all the films the same but now see it may be recorded different as you mention. Yes some one may have a different taste in bass also.

I've enjoyed it all the way I've been doing it so far. With this thread it's good to get reports prior to watching a film and I'll adjust trim or volume as needed.
discone is offline  
post #19296 of 19309 Old 12-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Say No to Auto EQ
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,181
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I have watched Battle for LA many times. Absolutely great movie and while it does not have scenes that hit the really extreme lows, if has a lot of base heavy content. I have things falling off shelves during that movie, thanks to the soundtrack and my Outlaw LFM-1. Now, I own Oblivion and Godzilla 2014 and they both hit lower, but Battle for LA has a really outstanding soundtrack (and I bought it as one of those "two for one" special packages with Blackhawk down).
I watched Guardians of the Universe this weekend and it is an excellent soundtrack as well...but doesn't test a subwoofer any more than Battle for LA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Thank's MK!

I know I still have some to learn about it all as I'm still new to this step up. Your explanation helped me understand a little better. Been coming here a little while now and see every one has their own opinions on movies. Some with better systems also. I was just trying to see if there was a way to make all the films the same but now see it may be recorded different as you mention. Yes some one may have a different taste in bass also.

I've enjoyed it all the way I've been doing it so far. With this thread it's good to get reports prior to watching a film and I'll adjust trim or volume as needed.
For both, as you seem genuinely interested in the levels, the extension, and overall quality of the recordings, you should both visit the data-bass forums where several members, mostly MM, posts the graphs for any major action movie that comes out and looks promising. Some disappoint, some don't. You can clearly see on the graphs where they are mixed and relative levels to compare to other movies that have also been graphed. There is still some gray area on how movies are actually mixed to "reference" but I have come to learn over my watching time that you sometimes just have to play it by ear to decide where is a good level for you. This thread, and data-bass will guide you at least in the right direction if you want to know before you get a chance to watch it what other member's thoughts are initially.
discone likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is offline  
post #19297 of 19309 Old 12-17-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Theatrical mixes.

EDIT-

I thought you were talking about DVD's.
I am talking about DVDs. I don't own any Blu-rays.

When I mentioned those two movies, I am talking about the DVD. The bass sounds "old school" and, frankly, pretty awesome.
Kain is offline  
post #19298 of 19309 Old 12-17-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I am talking about DVDs. I don't own any Blu-rays.

When I mentioned those two movies, I am talking about the DVD. The bass sounds "old school" and, frankly, pretty awesome.
Oh. lol. I'm thinking they have the theater mix because i don't remember any DVD's getting HT mixes. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 12-17-2014 at 02:33 PM.
saprano is offline  
post #19299 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Dubai, UAE
Posts: 1,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Oh. lol. I'm thinking they have the theater mix because i don't remember any DVD's getting HT mixes. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
But even if they re-mix for the home theater versions, the actual sound of the bass/LFE shouldn't be different, right? Don't they just lower the levels for the home theater mixes without changing anything else? By the way, are you saying that all Blu-rays get home theater mixes and DVDs did not (unless you are talking about movies that are released recently during this Blu-ray era and also are being "ported" to DVD)?
Kain is offline  
post #19300 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,818
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Disney sold DVD's with special HT mixes.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
MKtheater is online now  
post #19301 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 3,472
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
But even if they re-mix for the home theater versions, the actual sound of the bass/LFE shouldn't be different, right? Don't they just lower the levels for the home theater mixes without changing anything else?
That should be true, but i've heard some bluray movies bass that sounds completely different from the DVD version. It's not just lower. Twister is one example. To me the DVD sounds more monstrous. The bluray is cleaner and controlled.

Quote:
By the way, are you saying that all Blu-rays get home theater mixes and DVDs did not (unless you are talking about movies that are released recently during this Blu-ray era and also are being "ported" to DVD)?
I guess there are a few DVD with home mixes but i think most of them were left untouched. There are some blurays too with theater mixes i think. But all you ever here with bluray is how they created a new HT mix. They should give us the option to choose both the new mix and theater. I thought that's what uncompressed audio was about? That's how they advertised it when bluray first came out. "Bit for bit indentical to the studio master."

home theater addict
saprano is offline  
post #19302 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,691
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Some DVDs have been getting HT mixes since the early 2000s...in fact, HT mixes were available on laser disc in the mid to late 90s.
I have a couple movies on DVD and Blue Ray (2012 and Battle for LA) and they sound identical...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is offline  
post #19303 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Alright Bassheads time to wake up

Been in a lull so I'm going to shake my subs up a bit and run them hot tonite (+4-6db @ reference volume or 11 0'clock) for the first time since going duals stacked in a corner time to hear and feel what an extra 6db! across the board is bringing to the table!

I'll be serving up !

Into the Storm and may finish off the second half of LotR "The Two Towers" Or the new Ninja Turtles

Runnin Hot Hot Hot!!
Fatshaft likes this.
audiofan1 is online now  
post #19304 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
digler84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 131
im curious to see your thoughts on ninja turtles. took my kids to the theater to see it and it seemed like it should be a nice one for boom. i wasn't expecting much from the movie itself either, but actually enjoyed it.
digler84 is offline  
post #19305 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM
Member
 
DrMichael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The new Turtles movie had some great bass in it! I was very impressed with the overall mix in general. I still like The Secret of the Ooze the most though movie wise.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
DrMichael is online now  
post #19306 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
Ray77085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 706
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
im curious to see your thoughts on ninja turtles. took my kids to the theater to see it and it seemed like it should be a nice one for boom. i wasn't expecting much from the movie itself either, but actually enjoyed it.
^^^^^ I'll bet it will sound awesome on Blu- Ray, as it will have that new DOLBY ATMOS track !! T4 and E3 sounds great as well with atmos.
audiofan1 likes this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
Ray77085 is offline  
post #19307 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM
Member
 
nb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Argyle, TX
Posts: 180
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just watched ninja turtles on blueray, holy smokes the subm's were going nuts.
audiofan1 likes this.

nb67 is offline  
post #19308 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM
Senior Member
 
digler84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post
Just watched ninja turtles on blueray, holy smokes the subm's were going nuts.
finally some good news on a promising track! michael bay makes things boom....and bass drop!
audiofan1 likes this.
digler84 is offline  
post #19309 of 19309 Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
im curious to see your thoughts on ninja turtles. took my kids to the theater to see it and it seemed like it should be a nice one for boom. i wasn't expecting much from the movie itself either, but actually enjoyed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
The new Turtles movie had some great bass in it! I was very impressed with the overall mix in general. I still like The Secret of the Ooze the most though movie wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
^^^^^ I'll bet it will sound awesome on Blu- Ray, as it will have that new DOLBY ATMOS track !! T4 and E3 sounds great as well with atmos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post
Just watched ninja turtles on blueray, holy smokes the subm's were going nuts.

Wow Looks like it's Ninja Turtles first I'll post up afterwards
audiofan1 is online now  
post #19310 of 19309 Old Today, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Ninja Turtles gets a very high subjective 5 for lighting up the room with bass for the holidays and after the 1hr:10 min mark get ready to get thrashed by your subs Only downside I won't be buying it , as the wife has threatened to do bodily harm if I do and part of me agrees but its almost safe to say anything with an Atmos sticker on it just may start to take over the bass list from a pure sound design standpoint these tracks are amazing in there mixing even with an Atmos setup
audiofan1 is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off