The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 644 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #19291 of 19297 Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
Watching it tonight/Tuesday with my son...
We're both looking forward to this one

will get back with my thoughts
How old is your son? I liked the movie a lot, but it has graphic violence in it, so you may want to keep that in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19292 of 19297 Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
How old is your son? I liked the movie a lot, but it has graphic violence in it, so you may want to keep that in mind.
Thanks...he's 21...
He's soo looking forward to it.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #19293 of 19297 Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hey Guy's I don't want to derail this thread to much but I'm curious. If there is a better place to get answer please direct me. With the past few movies it seems I missed the boat so to say. I listen to most movies at -13 and they sound good most of the time with bass like T4, but with GOTG it was meh.

So is it good to get a meter to check volume at start of movies so they are all at same level ? So if I play T4 at -13 and that is 65db but GOTG is -10 to get 65db will that help even the playing field so to speak? Or is this even more complicated with trim level boost, dynamic range, ect. ?

Just want to squeeze all that bass out that I can, because it's all about the Bass, all about the Bass no treble! I couldn't help it had to say it!

Or should I just stop thinking about it sit back and enjoy the Movie!
post #19294 of 19297 Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 530
This is HT, you can watch anyway you wish. Movies are recorded at different levels and have different extensions. Many people love TF4 and it was recorded loud(5+ star) but buy the time it hits 10hz it is much lower in volume. I like having both loud and low. The new X-men movie is recorded 5 dBs lower overall but it louder 5 dBs down low. Turn up the sub trim on X-men to TF4 level and the differences are obvious to me. Another example is EoT where it is recorded only 2 dBs lower than TF4 WITHOUT the opening scene and extends to 5hz! Of course your system needs to handle this to tell the difference.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.

Last edited by MKtheater; Yesterday at 01:46 PM.
post #19295 of 19297 Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
This is HT, you can watch anyway you wish. Movies are recorded at different levels and have different extensions. Many people love TF4 and it was recorded loud(5+ star) but buy the time it hits 10hz it is much lower in volume. I like having both loud and low. The new X-men movie is recorded 5 dBs lower overall but it louder 5 dBs down low. Turn up the sub trim on X-men to TF4 level and the differences are obvious to me. Another example is EoT where it is recorded only 2 dBs lower than TF4 WITHOUT the opening scene and extends to 5hz! Of course your system needs to handle this to tell the difference.
Thank's MK!

I know I still have some to learn about it all as I'm still new to this step up. Your explanation helped me understand a little better. Been coming here a little while now and see every one has their own opinions on movies. Some with better systems also. I was just trying to see if there was a way to make all the films the same but now see it may be recorded different as you mention. Yes some one may have a different taste in bass also.

I've enjoyed it all the way I've been doing it so far. With this thread it's good to get reports prior to watching a film and I'll adjust trim or volume as needed.
post #19296 of 19297 Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 947 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I have watched Battle for LA many times. Absolutely great movie and while it does not have scenes that hit the really extreme lows, if has a lot of base heavy content. I have things falling off shelves during that movie, thanks to the soundtrack and my Outlaw LFM-1. Now, I own Oblivion and Godzilla 2014 and they both hit lower, but Battle for LA has a really outstanding soundtrack (and I bought it as one of those "two for one" special packages with Blackhawk down).
I watched Guardians of the Universe this weekend and it is an excellent soundtrack as well...but doesn't test a subwoofer any more than Battle for LA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Thank's MK!

I know I still have some to learn about it all as I'm still new to this step up. Your explanation helped me understand a little better. Been coming here a little while now and see every one has their own opinions on movies. Some with better systems also. I was just trying to see if there was a way to make all the films the same but now see it may be recorded different as you mention. Yes some one may have a different taste in bass also.

I've enjoyed it all the way I've been doing it so far. With this thread it's good to get reports prior to watching a film and I'll adjust trim or volume as needed.
For both, as you seem genuinely interested in the levels, the extension, and overall quality of the recordings, you should both visit the data-bass forums where several members, mostly MM, posts the graphs for any major action movie that comes out and looks promising. Some disappoint, some don't. You can clearly see on the graphs where they are mixed and relative levels to compare to other movies that have also been graphed. There is still some gray area on how movies are actually mixed to "reference" but I have come to learn over my watching time that you sometimes just have to play it by ear to decide where is a good level for you. This thread, and data-bass will guide you at least in the right direction if you want to know before you get a chance to watch it what other member's thoughts are initially.
discone likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #19297 of 19297 Old Today, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Theatrical mixes.

EDIT-

I thought you were talking about DVD's.
I am talking about DVDs. I don't own any Blu-rays.

When I mentioned those two movies, I am talking about the DVD. The bass sounds "old school" and, frankly, pretty awesome.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com