The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 644 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #19291 of 19320 Old 12-16-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
Watching it tonight/Tuesday with my son...
We're both looking forward to this one

will get back with my thoughts
How old is your son? I liked the movie a lot, but it has graphic violence in it, so you may want to keep that in mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19292 of 19320 Old 12-16-2014, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
How old is your son? I liked the movie a lot, but it has graphic violence in it, so you may want to keep that in mind.
Thanks...he's 21...
He's soo looking forward to it.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #19293 of 19320 Old 12-16-2014, 10:37 AM

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Hey Guy's I don't want to derail this thread to much but I'm curious. If there is a better place to get answer please direct me. With the past few movies it seems I missed the boat so to say. I listen to most movies at -13 and they sound good most of the time with bass like T4, but with GOTG it was meh.

So is it good to get a meter to check volume at start of movies so they are all at same level ? So if I play T4 at -13 and that is 65db but GOTG is -10 to get 65db will that help even the playing field so to speak? Or is this even more complicated with trim level boost, dynamic range, ect. ?

Just want to squeeze all that bass out that I can, because it's all about the Bass, all about the Bass no treble! I couldn't help it had to say it!

Or should I just stop thinking about it sit back and enjoy the Movie!
post #19294 of 19320 Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 532
This is HT, you can watch anyway you wish. Movies are recorded at different levels and have different extensions. Many people love TF4 and it was recorded loud(5+ star) but buy the time it hits 10hz it is much lower in volume. I like having both loud and low. The new X-men movie is recorded 5 dBs lower overall but it louder 5 dBs down low. Turn up the sub trim on X-men to TF4 level and the differences are obvious to me. Another example is EoT where it is recorded only 2 dBs lower than TF4 WITHOUT the opening scene and extends to 5hz! Of course your system needs to handle this to tell the difference.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.

Last edited by MKtheater; 12-16-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #19295 of 19320 Old 12-16-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
This is HT, you can watch anyway you wish. Movies are recorded at different levels and have different extensions. Many people love TF4 and it was recorded loud(5+ star) but buy the time it hits 10hz it is much lower in volume. I like having both loud and low. The new X-men movie is recorded 5 dBs lower overall but it louder 5 dBs down low. Turn up the sub trim on X-men to TF4 level and the differences are obvious to me. Another example is EoT where it is recorded only 2 dBs lower than TF4 WITHOUT the opening scene and extends to 5hz! Of course your system needs to handle this to tell the difference.
Thank's MK!

I know I still have some to learn about it all as I'm still new to this step up. Your explanation helped me understand a little better. Been coming here a little while now and see every one has their own opinions on movies. Some with better systems also. I was just trying to see if there was a way to make all the films the same but now see it may be recorded different as you mention. Yes some one may have a different taste in bass also.

I've enjoyed it all the way I've been doing it so far. With this thread it's good to get reports prior to watching a film and I'll adjust trim or volume as needed.
post #19296 of 19320 Old 12-16-2014, 05:28 PM
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked: 1035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I have watched Battle for LA many times. Absolutely great movie and while it does not have scenes that hit the really extreme lows, if has a lot of base heavy content. I have things falling off shelves during that movie, thanks to the soundtrack and my Outlaw LFM-1. Now, I own Oblivion and Godzilla 2014 and they both hit lower, but Battle for LA has a really outstanding soundtrack (and I bought it as one of those "two for one" special packages with Blackhawk down).
I watched Guardians of the Universe this weekend and it is an excellent soundtrack as well...but doesn't test a subwoofer any more than Battle for LA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Thank's MK!

I know I still have some to learn about it all as I'm still new to this step up. Your explanation helped me understand a little better. Been coming here a little while now and see every one has their own opinions on movies. Some with better systems also. I was just trying to see if there was a way to make all the films the same but now see it may be recorded different as you mention. Yes some one may have a different taste in bass also.

I've enjoyed it all the way I've been doing it so far. With this thread it's good to get reports prior to watching a film and I'll adjust trim or volume as needed.
For both, as you seem genuinely interested in the levels, the extension, and overall quality of the recordings, you should both visit the data-bass forums where several members, mostly MM, posts the graphs for any major action movie that comes out and looks promising. Some disappoint, some don't. You can clearly see on the graphs where they are mixed and relative levels to compare to other movies that have also been graphed. There is still some gray area on how movies are actually mixed to "reference" but I have come to learn over my watching time that you sometimes just have to play it by ear to decide where is a good level for you. This thread, and data-bass will guide you at least in the right direction if you want to know before you get a chance to watch it what other member's thoughts are initially.
discone likes this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #19297 of 19320 Old 12-17-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
Theatrical mixes.

EDIT-

I thought you were talking about DVD's.
I am talking about DVDs. I don't own any Blu-rays.

When I mentioned those two movies, I am talking about the DVD. The bass sounds "old school" and, frankly, pretty awesome.
post #19298 of 19320 Old 12-17-2014, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
I am talking about DVDs. I don't own any Blu-rays.

When I mentioned those two movies, I am talking about the DVD. The bass sounds "old school" and, frankly, pretty awesome.
Oh. lol. I'm thinking they have the theater mix because i don't remember any DVD's getting HT mixes. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 12-17-2014 at 02:33 PM.
post #19299 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Oh. lol. I'm thinking they have the theater mix because i don't remember any DVD's getting HT mixes. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.
But even if they re-mix for the home theater versions, the actual sound of the bass/LFE shouldn't be different, right? Don't they just lower the levels for the home theater mixes without changing anything else? By the way, are you saying that all Blu-rays get home theater mixes and DVDs did not (unless you are talking about movies that are released recently during this Blu-ray era and also are being "ported" to DVD)?
post #19300 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Disney sold DVD's with special HT mixes.

AVR-Yamaha A830
amps-5 Adcom 555 in 850 watt monoblock mode
sub amp-Sanway FP14K
LCR-Dual stacked BFM DR-250's
Surrounds- Dual stacked BFM W10's
subs-12 SI 18's ported 6hz.
post #19301 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
But even if they re-mix for the home theater versions, the actual sound of the bass/LFE shouldn't be different, right? Don't they just lower the levels for the home theater mixes without changing anything else?
That should be true, but i've heard some bluray movies bass that sounds completely different from the DVD version. It's not just lower. Twister is one example. To me the DVD sounds more monstrous. The bluray is cleaner and controlled.

Quote:
By the way, are you saying that all Blu-rays get home theater mixes and DVDs did not (unless you are talking about movies that are released recently during this Blu-ray era and also are being "ported" to DVD)?
I guess there are a few DVD with home mixes but i think most of them were left untouched. There are some blurays too with theater mixes i think. But all you ever here with bluray is how they created a new HT mix. They should give us the option to choose both the new mix and theater. I thought that's what uncompressed audio was about? That's how they advertised it when bluray first came out. "Bit for bit indentical to the studio master."

home theater addict
post #19302 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Some DVDs have been getting HT mixes since the early 2000s...in fact, HT mixes were available on laser disc in the mid to late 90s.
I have a couple movies on DVD and Blue Ray (2012 and Battle for LA) and they sound identical...

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #19303 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Alright Bassheads time to wake up

Been in a lull so I'm going to shake my subs up a bit and run them hot tonite (+4-6db @ reference volume or 11 0'clock) for the first time since going duals stacked in a corner time to hear and feel what an extra 6db! across the board is bringing to the table!

I'll be serving up !

Into the Storm and may finish off the second half of LotR "The Two Towers" Or the new Ninja Turtles

Runnin Hot Hot Hot!!
Fatshaft and discone like this.
post #19304 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 05:35 PM

Liked: 133
im curious to see your thoughts on ninja turtles. took my kids to the theater to see it and it seemed like it should be a nice one for boom. i wasn't expecting much from the movie itself either, but actually enjoyed it.
post #19305 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The new Turtles movie had some great bass in it! I was very impressed with the overall mix in general. I still like The Secret of the Ooze the most though movie wise.

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Marantz AV8801 pre-pro / MM8077 amp
Martin Logan Motion 50XT Center
Martin Logan Motion 60XT Fronts/40 Rears
REL R-528 SE (2)
Oppo BDP-103D/Playstation 4/Furman ELITE-20 PF i
post #19306 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
im curious to see your thoughts on ninja turtles. took my kids to the theater to see it and it seemed like it should be a nice one for boom. i wasn't expecting much from the movie itself either, but actually enjoyed it.
^^^^^ I'll bet it will sound awesome on Blu- Ray, as it will have that new DOLBY ATMOS track !! T4 and E3 sounds great as well with atmos.
audiofan1 likes this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #19307 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just watched ninja turtles on blueray, holy smokes the subm's were going nuts.
audiofan1 likes this.

post #19308 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post
finally some good news on a promising track! michael bay makes things boom....and bass drop!
audiofan1 likes this.
post #19309 of 19320 Unread Yesterday, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
The new Turtles movie had some great bass in it! I was very impressed with the overall mix in general. I still like The Secret of the Ooze the most though movie wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
^^^^^ I'll bet it will sound awesome on Blu- Ray, as it will have that new DOLBY ATMOS track !! T4 and E3 sounds great as well with atmos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nb67 View Post

Wow Looks like it's Ninja Turtles first I'll post up afterwards
post #19310 of 19320 Unread Today, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Ninja Turtles gets a very high subjective 5 for lighting up the room with bass for the holidays and after the 1hr:10 min mark get ready to get thrashed by your subs Only downside I won't be buying it , as the wife has threatened to do bodily harm if I do and part of me agrees but its almost safe to say anything with an Atmos sticker on it just may start to take over the bass list from a pure sound design standpoint these tracks are amazing in there mixing, even without an Atmos setup
Fatshaft, Ray77085 and discone like this.

Last edited by audiofan1; Today at 01:19 AM.
post #19311 of 19320 Unread Today, 12:48 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Ninja Turtles gets a very high subjective 5 for lighting up the room with bass for the holidays and after the 1hr:10 min mark get ready to get thrashed by your subs Only downside I won't be buying it , as the wife has threatened to do bodily harm if I do and part of me agrees but its almost safe to say anything with an Atmos sticker on it just may start to take over the bass list from a pure sound design standpoint these tracks are amazing in there mixing even with an Atmos setup
Agreed! Just finished this as well and while not the deepest bass ever (my BKs never knocked which will happen on hard hitting single digit stuff) this film is LOADED with hard hitting LFE and is a bass fest! Absolute bass blast if your in the mood to get pummeled which I was! It was a FUN HT ride in general I thought and great shut your brain off crank the system up to reference Friday night material after a long $hit week at work! I am going to try and score the 3d disc cheap off ebay to check that out next time.
Fatshaft, audiofan1 and discone like this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #19312 of 19320 Unread Today, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^If it comes up cheap it just may find its way in For everything wrong with it , the A/V counters back with a justifiable "I need this in my collection" I'm so torn
Toe likes this.
post #19313 of 19320 Unread Today, 03:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Ninja Turtles gets a very high subjective 5 for lighting up the room with bass for the holidays and after the 1hr:10 min mark get ready to get thrashed by your subs Only downside I won't be buying it , as the wife has threatened to do bodily harm if I do and part of me agrees but its almost safe to say anything with an Atmos sticker on it just may start to take over the bass list from a pure sound design standpoint these tracks are amazing in there mixing, even without an Atmos setup
Yep,
I will be adding E3 and NT into my collection soon, T4 is already there ! Dolby is defiantly bringing it to the table with those Atmos tracks so far. Like you say, Atmos set up or not these tracks are on point !
audiofan1 and discone like this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
post #19314 of 19320 Unread Today, 04:06 AM

Quote:
That should be true, but i've heard some bluray movies bass that sounds completely different from the DVD version. It's not just lower. Twister is one example. To me the DVD sounds more monstrous. The bluray is cleaner and controlled."
I want to revisit this film and you say the BD is cleaner and controlled does it still give good bass?

Quote:
Alright Bassheads time to wake up

Been in a lull so I'm going to shake my subs up a bit and run them hot tonite (+4-6db @ reference volume or 11 0'clock) for the first time since going duals stacked in a corner time to hear and feel what an extra 6db! across the board is bringing to the table!

I'll be serving up !

Into the Storm and may finish off the second half of LotR "The Two Towers" Or the new Ninja Turtles

Runnin Hot Hot Hot!!
Nice!!! Hope to hear that stack works well for you. I see you switched the order of movies with NT taking the lead!

I watched Into The Storm last night and enjoyed the storm parts as some rumble was going on! I still liked Twister better for the story and want to revisit that film to see how it sounds.
post #19315 of 19320 Unread Today, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Into the Storm makes Twister sound like a spring shower.

Panasonic TC-P50ST60 plasma HD television, Onkyo TX-SR805 and PIONEER ELITE VSX-47TX receivers, Klipsch RB-75(2 pair) and RB-61 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch RSW-10, RSW-12(2), Velodyne HGS-12, HGS-18 subwoofers, OPPO BDP-103, PS3 80G, PIONEER DV-525 dvd player, Klipsch RS-42 surrounds, Klipsch RC-52 center channel
post #19316 of 19320 Unread Today, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 180
The first two minutes of Into the Storm makes a very good demo - the surrounds are going full bore and pretty decent bass while the car is being thrown around! Love it.
post #19317 of 19320 Unread Today, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Agreed! Just finished this as well and while not the deepest bass ever (my BKs never knocked which will happen on hard hitting single digit stuff) this film is LOADED with hard hitting LFE and is a bass fest! Absolute bass blast if your in the mood to get pummeled which I was! It was a FUN HT ride in general I thought and great shut your brain off crank the system up (Fu<k ya!) to reference Friday night material after a long $hit week at work! I am going to try and score the 3d disc cheap off ebay to check that out next time.
Reading stuff like this pumps the sh[t out of me...can't wait to watch Ninja Turtles now!!!
I'll be watching it in 3D also!

Thanks everyone!

PS. It will be loud here!
Toe and audiofan1 like this.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
post #19318 of 19320 Unread Today, 09:38 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatshaft View Post
Reading stuff like this pumps the sh[t out of me...can't wait to watch Ninja Turtles now!!!
I'll be watching it in 3D also!

Thanks everyone!

PS. It will be loud here!
It will definitely check your needing to get pounded box , just don't expect the deepest bass ever since there isn't anything (from what I could tell) hard hitting into single digits. It's a LOT of LFE fun for what it is though IMO. Curious to hear how you like it. I'm guessing the hard core single digit guys wont think much of it, but I loved it on my setup and I'm guessing you will too since you enjoy a good pounding as much as me Crank it up and enjoy! Make sure to keep your volume up for the credits as well as they are loaded with the bass.......I just sat there during the credits with my volume still pumped up to reference as I was engulfed in this amazing sonic thickness of room pressurizing bass and great sound in general all around....felt like I was in some sort of sonic cloud as the audio was penetrating my entire body and coming up through my feet

Curious to hear what you think of the 3d as most the comments I have read from that perspective have been VERY positive which has me excited to score a copy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post
Into the Storm makes Twister sound like a spring shower.
Nice! I also have this here from NF.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; Today at 09:50 AM.
post #19319 of 19320 Unread Today, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ Yeah Into the Storm tonite
post #19320 of 19320 Unread Today, 12:46 PM

has anyone compared the non-atmos track to the atmos version? maybe we are starting to get what we all want, which would be a full extension track for us audio nuts, while the non atmos track can be for the HTIB and non HT people out there. you have to figure that the only ones that would be atmos capable right now would be the audiophiles anyway, right?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page