The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 648 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #19411 of 19419 Unread Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84
i guess i wasn't directly comparing the two as far as extension. i was comparing them in the fact that they both have strong rumble in the room. the type where you feel it in your chair...except that into the storm lasted for like 10 minutes straight. not to mention, i don't get too caught up in single digit extension numbers myself. my system isn't capable of it, and i'm not go drop $5k+ to get usable variations of it. dual xv15's rattles my windows and walls plenty for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
I hear you. You're good with the system you have. I just think it needs to be pointed out that this flick isn't in the same league as WOTW. Not even close. Seems like 80% of those comparisons on this thread are by people who don't have the ability to truly experience what WOTW or TIH have to offer or haven't watched either in so long they've forgotten.
I'm going to re-watch WOTW to compare but I remember watching the first 30 minutes a few weeks back and the pod scene was intense but overall I found Into the Storm to have more bass or at the very least longer & more extended bass scenes as several of the tornado scenes were quite long and my walls were rumbling the whole time, not to mention I enjoyed Into the Storm versus WOTW which started off great but began to drag and had a horrible ending.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19412 of 19419 Unread Yesterday, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 78
"The Golden Compass" with Nicole Kidman & Daniel Craig ... an adventure/fantasy/family type movie. My wife and I watched to this evening ... it would be good for kids of all ages (nothing great, but good). My wife enjoyed it.

Visually interesting, and not just for Nicole Kidman :-) Good scenery and computer graphics.

And most importantly, it gave my SVS PC13ultra a great workout !!! Engines rumbling, bears growling, and a few decent explosions.

I wasn't expecting so much LFE, but within the first 15 min. or so, I could tell that the audio people meant business, LFE-wise :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	11168632_800.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	445041

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #19413 of 19419 Unread Yesterday, 08:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
It's because the person saying it didn't hit hard has F12's, which roll off around 25-30 hz. A lot of the "weight" of expendables bass is 20 hz, which most large subs can do well, and is one of the most obvious bass frequencies as it shakes a lot and you can hear it.
Ah, good point.. I forget that some of us don't overkill things lol

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two (soon to be four) MiniMarty / SI HT18 + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke6000dsp and Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
post #19414 of 19419 Unread Today, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
It's because the person saying it didn't hit hard has F12's, which roll off around 25-30 hz. A lot of the "weight" of expendables bass is 20 hz, which most large subs can do well, and is one of the most obvious bass frequencies as it shakes a lot and you can hear it.
War of the Worlds, which hits way below 20hz, shakes my whole damn house. Expendables 3...not so much. I measured them and my F12's roll off at about 22-23hz, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post
Too bad, because the data states otherwise.
I'll take what I'm hearing over your data, because ultimately that's what is most important.
post #19415 of 19419 Unread Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
War of the Worlds, which hits way below 20hz, shakes my whole damn house. Expendables 3...not so much. I measured them and my F12's roll off at about 22-23hz, btw.

I'll take what I'm hearing over your data, because ultimately that's what is most important.
That's because along with the below 20 in WotW it is bloated with 30+ which sounds good to you.

Expendable digs deep and lots of it stronger content is below what your sub is capable of

That's like saying....my Prius is faster than a porche despite what the data says. Cause it sure feels like I'm going fast!
post #19416 of 19419 Unread Today, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Fair enough, but remember, my post from data-bass was to help you in regards to what you should be getting out of your system. I wouldn't rely on my laptop speakers to reproduce what's on that disc, but that's because I know what they're capable of. Not only does your subs have roll-off but everything in your equipment chain does so as well. Good luck

V.X.Donique
Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee
post #19417 of 19419 Unread Today, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Considering human hearing can't really distinguish frequencies below 20hz, subwoofers that can go below 20hz are mostly irrelevant. So my argument is - Expendables 3 has weak bass because it's too low for the human ear to distinguish, so it's poor mixing if you ask me. There's no point in including an element like that in an audio track if you can't hear it, regardless of whether your equipment can reproduce it. It's like using a pen with invisible ink to write a letter that you can only see under certain circumstances. I'm happy that your charts show that it's there, but it still sounds poor. Overall, I thought the track sounded weak too.
post #19418 of 19419 Unread Today, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Considering human hearing can't really distinguish frequencies below 20hz, subwoofers that can go below 20hz are mostly irrelevant. So my argument is - Expendables 3 has weak bass because it's too low for the human ear to distinguish, so it's poor mixing if you ask me. There's no point in including an element like that in an audio track if you can't hear it, regardless of whether your equipment can reproduce it. It's like using a pen with invisible ink to write a letter that you can only see under certain circumstances. I'm happy that your charts show that it's there, but it still sounds poor. Overall, I thought the track sounded weak too.
You have no clue about lfe if this is your thought process.

You'd be better off with a htib
Mongo171 likes this.
post #19419 of 19419 Unread Today, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Oh, you hear it... You hear your house rumbling and you definitely feel it! If you are not experiencing 20hz and lower, you're missing out big time! My favorite is 15-20hz, what an experience!
post #19420 of 19419 Unread Today, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
You have no clue about lfe if this is your thought process.

You'd be better off with a htib
Thank you for the condescending tone. It'll help me to remember to ignore your infantile and inflammatory posts in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
Oh, you hear it... You hear your house rumbling and you definitely feel it! If you are not experiencing 20hz and lower, you're missing out big time! My favorite is 15-20hz, what an experience!
I feel plenty with my dual F12's. Anything more is entirely unnecessary. If I wanted to feel things anymore than I already do, I would install those ridiculous Buttkicker things in my seats.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com