The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 648 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #19411 of 19431 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
Senior Member
 
TomC1315's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Royalton, Ohio
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 78
"The Golden Compass" with Nicole Kidman & Daniel Craig ... an adventure/fantasy/family type movie. My wife and I watched to this evening ... it would be good for kids of all ages (nothing great, but good). My wife enjoyed it.

Visually interesting, and not just for Nicole Kidman :-) Good scenery and computer graphics.

And most importantly, it gave my SVS PC13ultra a great workout !!! Engines rumbling, bears growling, and a few decent explosions.

I wasn't expecting so much LFE, but within the first 15 min. or so, I could tell that the audio people meant business, LFE-wise :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	11168632_800.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	445041

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS PC13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
TomC1315 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19412 of 19431 Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Windham CT
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
It's because the person saying it didn't hit hard has F12's, which roll off around 25-30 hz. A lot of the "weight" of expendables bass is 20 hz, which most large subs can do well, and is one of the most obvious bass frequencies as it shakes a lot and you can hear it.
Ah, good point.. I forget that some of us don't overkill things lol

Receiver: Emotiva Fusion 8100
Fronts: Klipsch klf-10 / Center: Klipsch klf-c7 / Surrounds: Klipsch klf-10
Subs: Two (soon to be four) MiniMarty / SI HT18 + Paradigm PS-1200
Sub amp: Behringer Inuke6000dsp and Inuke3000dsp
Television: Sharp Aquos LC70SQ15U
Cryptic1911 is offline  
post #19413 of 19431 Old Today, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassment View Post
It's because the person saying it didn't hit hard has F12's, which roll off around 25-30 hz. A lot of the "weight" of expendables bass is 20 hz, which most large subs can do well, and is one of the most obvious bass frequencies as it shakes a lot and you can hear it.
War of the Worlds, which hits way below 20hz, shakes my whole damn house. Expendables 3...not so much. I measured them and my F12's roll off at about 22-23hz, btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post
Too bad, because the data states otherwise.
I'll take what I'm hearing over your data, because ultimately that's what is most important.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
post #19414 of 19431 Old Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
War of the Worlds, which hits way below 20hz, shakes my whole damn house. Expendables 3...not so much. I measured them and my F12's roll off at about 22-23hz, btw.



I'll take what I'm hearing over your data, because ultimately that's what is most important.
That's because along with the below 20 in WotW it is bloated with 30+ which sounds good to you.

Expendable digs deep and lots of it stronger content is below what your sub is capable of

That's like saying....my Prius is faster than a porche despite what the data says. Cause it sure feels like I'm going fast!
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #19415 of 19431 Old Today, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Black Mesa Research Facilities
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
War of the Worlds, which hits way below 20hz, shakes my whole damn house. Expendables 3...not so much. I measured them and my F12's roll off at about 22-23hz, btw.

I'll take what I'm hearing over your data, because ultimately that's what is most important.
Fair enough, but remember, my post from data-bass was to help you in regards to what you should be getting out of your system. I wouldn't rely on my laptop speakers to reproduce what's on that disc, but that's because I know what they're capable of. Not only does your subs have roll-off but everything in your equipment chain does so as well. Good luck

V.X.Donique
Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee
V.X.Donique is online now  
post #19416 of 19431 Old Today, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Considering human hearing can't really distinguish frequencies below 20hz, subwoofers that can go below 20hz are mostly irrelevant. So my argument is - Expendables 3 has weak bass because it's too low for the human ear to distinguish, so it's poor mixing if you ask me. There's no point in including an element like that in an audio track if you can't hear it, regardless of whether your equipment can reproduce it. It's like using a pen with invisible ink to write a letter that you can only see under certain circumstances. I'm happy that your charts show that it's there, but it still sounds poor. Overall, I thought the track sounded weak too.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
post #19417 of 19431 Old Today, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Considering human hearing can't really distinguish frequencies below 20hz, subwoofers that can go below 20hz are mostly irrelevant. So my argument is - Expendables 3 has weak bass because it's too low for the human ear to distinguish, so it's poor mixing if you ask me. There's no point in including an element like that in an audio track if you can't hear it, regardless of whether your equipment can reproduce it. It's like using a pen with invisible ink to write a letter that you can only see under certain circumstances. I'm happy that your charts show that it's there, but it still sounds poor. Overall, I thought the track sounded weak too.
You have no clue about lfe if this is your thought process.

You'd be better off with a htib
Fatshaft and Mongo171 like this.
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #19418 of 19431 Old Today, 07:36 AM
Senior Member
 
mlah384's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 416
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Considering human hearing can't really distinguish frequencies below 20hz, subwoofers that can go below 20hz are mostly irrelevant. So my argument is - Expendables 3 has weak bass because it's too low for the human ear to distinguish, so it's poor mixing if you ask me. There's no point in including an element like that in an audio track if you can't hear it, regardless of whether your equipment can reproduce it. It's like using a pen with invisible ink to write a letter that you can only see under certain circumstances. I'm happy that your charts show that it's there, but it still sounds poor. Overall, I thought the track sounded weak too.
Oh, you hear it... You hear your house rumbling and you definitely feel it! If you are not experiencing 20hz and lower, you're missing out big time! My favorite is 15-20hz, what an experience!
mlah384 is offline  
post #19419 of 19431 Old Today, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
QuiGonJosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 966
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
You have no clue about lfe if this is your thought process.

You'd be better off with a htib
Thank you for the condescending tone. It'll help me to remember to ignore your infantile and inflammatory posts in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlah384 View Post
Oh, you hear it... You hear your house rumbling and you definitely feel it! If you are not experiencing 20hz and lower, you're missing out big time! My favorite is 15-20hz, what an experience!
I feel plenty with my dual F12's. Anything more is entirely unnecessary. If I wanted to feel things anymore than I already do, I would install those ridiculous Buttkicker things in my seats.
QuiGonJosh is offline  
post #19420 of 19431 Old Today, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Thank you for the condescending tone. It'll help me to remember to ignore your infantile and inflammatory posts in the future.



I feel plenty with my dual F12's. Anything more is entirely unnecessary. If I wanted to feel things anymore than I already do, I would install those ridiculous Buttkicker things in my seats.

No condescension meant. It's a fact. You claim under 20hz is bad mixing?! You don't understand what lfe is or how it works. It's That simple. You would most definitely be more pleased with a htib. It's exactly what you enjoy. I don't see how this is inflammatory.

You saying buttkicker a are rediculous is more inflammatory than what I was saying. That's for sure.
Fatshaft likes this.
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #19421 of 19431 Old Today, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Mongo171's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 2,073
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 769
In nature (not just movie mixes), events do occur below 20Hz. Earthquakes wouldn't be so bad if nothing shook. Bombs wouldn't be as bad if it didn't blow nothing up. Same with grenades. Same with jet engines.

You CAN make an argument for SciFi movies. Who the hell knows what noise a spaceship makes going into warp. Or what a phaser really sounds like.

Life without bass is not worth living.
Mongo171 is online now  
post #19422 of 19431 Old Today, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 806
A door slamming or even closing is much lower than 20hz
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #19423 of 19431 Old Today, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
V.X.Donique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Black Mesa Research Facilities
Posts: 1,092
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I'm a scientist (Neuroscience to be exact) and I understand where QuiGonJosh is coming from. He relies on subjectivity over objectivity when it comes to LFE. Completely understandable. This is just a hobby and people are entitled to their opinion. We've all been there at some point.
QuiGonJosh likes this.

V.X.Donique
Introducing the Vier Systems Xero.1/Midbasiks Subwoofer builds....
Creator of the AVScience DIY Speakers and Subwoofers Forum
"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory." -Bruce Lee
V.X.Donique is online now  
post #19424 of 19431 Old Today, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 633 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by V.X.Donique View Post
I'm a scientist (Neuroscience to be exact) and I understand where QuiGonJosh is coming from. He relies on subjectivity over objectivity when it comes to LFE. Completely understandable. This is just a hobby and people are entitled to their opinion. We've all been there at some point.
I understand. But he is stating the need for under 20hz as useless and unneeded as fact and not his opinion
Mongo171 likes this.
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #19425 of 19431 Old Today, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,773
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 483
I saw Hobbit 3 in HFR last night. We decided to try a newer theater AMC at Galleria Mall) and were pleasantly surprised. It was small, only 8 rows of 7 seats and JBL speakers. The seats were the best of any theater I've ever been in as they were power recliners. The sound was fantastic, even the bass as was the picture (once you get used to the initial weird soap opera effect of HFR). Here's hoping the BR sounds as good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419783493.148586.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	445778

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419783507.998730.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	445786

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419783522.767387.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	445794

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419783537.850695.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	445802


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
discone likes this.
ambesolman is online now  
post #19426 of 19431 Old Today, 10:29 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,421
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Thank you for the condescending tone. It'll help me to remember to ignore your infantile and inflammatory posts in the future.



I feel plenty with my dual F12's. Anything more is entirely unnecessary. If I wanted to feel things anymore than I already do, I would install those ridiculous Buttkicker things in my seats.
I get it, ignorance is bliss which I have chosen with both audio and video in this hobby at times over the years (but I at least could admit that I was being ignorant), but make no mistake......you are ignorant. Just play the Washington Monument scene on a system that is capable in the 17-23hz area which is where this scene is focused IIRC and then play it back on your system which rolls off around 25hz or so as you mention and there is no way you would not be able to tell a major difference. That is just one of many examples of course.

Transducers and shakers are certainly not "ridiculous" if implemented correctly and only create the sensation of enhancing the subwoofer which is obviously a good thing. Not too mention they can turn a relatively tactile-less concrete slab HT room into something much more reminiscent of a suspended wood floor HT room. My BKs have literally transformed my HT, even with 4 nice subs, into a next level experience. Again though, ignorance is bliss and until you actually experience this you cant understand.

As far as Expendables 3, I just noticed Amazon has it for $16.99 right now so I am going to jump on it! Looking forward to checking it out as this looks like it will play to the strengths of my gear/setup looking at the graphs!
Fatshaft, ambesolman and Torqdog like this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; Today at 10:34 AM.
Toe is online now  
post #19427 of 19431 Old Today, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 548
Ragnarok did have the very generous bass reported! What was even better ,it was streamed from Netflix ( no apparent filtering) which is making it great for these movies with bass that come up sometimes, that one may or may not feel like waiting on bluray or actually buying it , to give it a spin (or stream)
Toe likes this.
audiofan1 is online now  
post #19428 of 19431 Old Today, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
I feel plenty with my dual F12's. Anything more is entirely unnecessary. If I wanted to feel things anymore than I already do, I would install those ridiculous Buttkicker things in my seats.
Actually you don't feel plenty with your subs because you said Expendables 3 wasn't any good for deep bass while it is actually a beast of a movie.

If you are satisfied with what you have or can afford then that is great and no need to spend more. Once you hear a reference capable system hitting in the low teens or below you will see/hear/feel what you are missing.
Mongo171 likes this.

Last edited by raynist; Today at 12:42 PM.
raynist is online now  
post #19429 of 19431 Old Today, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Torqdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,398
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Finally had a chance to Spin "The Maze Runner" last night. Pretty much agree with what everyone has mentioned thus far. The only thing I'll add is that in my theater, I can't ever remember hearing the surrounds used to the extent that they are in this movie. I truly felt like I was in the center of the Glade and all the creaking and moaning of the maze as it shifted was extraordinary.

The bass complimented everything quite well and was clean and dug down pretty low.

Definitely has a place at the table when it comes to reference discs.
Toe likes this.

He (or she) who dies with the most HT gear doesn't win anything. They're DEAD!

Last edited by Torqdog; Today at 01:20 PM.
Torqdog is online now  
post #19430 of 19431 Old Today, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,559
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
Finally had a chance to Spin "The Maze Runner" last night. Pretty much agree with what everyone has mentioned thus far. The only thing I'll add is that in my theater, I can't ever remember hearing the surrounds used to the extent that they are in this movie. I truly felt like I was in the center of the Glade and all the creaking and moaning of the maze as it shifted was extraordinary.

The bass complimented everything quite well and was clean and dug down pretty low.

Definitely has a place at the table when it comes to reference discs.
I agree!

This is the first movie I have watched since upgrading to 7.1 that I really thought the rear speakers added to the experience.
raynist is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off