The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 652 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Audio > Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers > The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts

Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

NewOrlnsDukie's Avatar NewOrlnsDukie
12:09 AM Liked: 23
post #19531 of 19898
01-11-2015 | Posts: 1,420
Joined: May 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
I don't see it on any of lfe man's lists, but the original Dune movie (1984 theatrical release, 2010 Blu-Ray release) is on sale at Amazon for like $6, and mine is already ordered based on this glowing LFE review I just stumbled on:

Get ready for a rumbling good time with Dune's very impressive DTS-HD MA 5.1 track, which kicks into LFE heaven from the first moments and rarely lets up for more than two hours. This is one of the most bass heavy tracks in recent memory, full of thundering low frequencies that will leave your floorboards vibrating in ecstasy ... The entire track has incredible dynamic range, even with its omnipresent emphasis on lower frequencies.

I checked his list, but Ralph hasn't reviewed it yet. Has anybody seen / heard this Blu-Ray yet? We've only seen the movie via broadcast and DVD in the past, and I don't remember the bass making a big impression in those formats. I'll post back once we spin the Blu.
I have some subs that go extremely deep, and I can't say that, from my experience (at least on the BR) Dune is particularly impressive on the VLFE front.
discone's Avatar discone
05:11 AM Liked: 123
post #19532 of 19898
01-11-2015 | Posts: 344
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Ragnarok has to be the LFE sleeper hit of the year! This track let's you know it means business right from the opening and there are many great LFE moments throughout (but more toward the end). Well worth a rent for bass heads. PQ held up well on my screen also.
Nice to hear more positive LFE statements about this film.

I was due to receive this in the mail yesterday and had one going out. For some reason the mailman did not stop at my box. The movie I was sending back is still in my box with flag up. I guess I'll have to wait till Monday to get my bass fix.
discone's Avatar discone
05:23 AM Liked: 123
post #19533 of 19898
01-11-2015 | Posts: 344
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
I don't see it on any of lfe man's lists, but the original Dune movie (1984 theatrical release, 2010 Blu-Ray release) is on sale at Amazon for like $6, and mine is already ordered based on this glowing LFE review I just stumbled on:

Get ready for a rumbling good time with Dune's very impressive DTS-HD MA 5.1 track, which kicks into LFE heaven from the first moments and rarely lets up for more than two hours. This is one of the most bass heavy tracks in recent memory, full of thundering low frequencies that will leave your floorboards vibrating in ecstasy ... The entire track has incredible dynamic range, even with its omnipresent emphasis on lower frequencies.

I checked his list, but Ralph hasn't reviewed it yet. Has anybody seen / heard this Blu-Ray yet? We've only seen the movie via broadcast and DVD in the past, and I don't remember the bass making a big impression in those formats. I'll post back once we spin the Blu.
That review sounds like Dune need's to have a revisit for sure. Good looking out!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
This is interesting as I picked up a copy from Walmart for $4 durring BF but haven't gotten around to watching, not only is it one of my favorite Sci Fi movies to hear the soundtrack has been kicked up has me hyped to watch, its been awhile since I watched my DVD copy and my new setup beckons a viewing

Thanks for heads up
I'm with you as I enjoyed this Sci Fi film when I first seen it. It's been almost 30 years since I've watched so I look forward to reading about your take on how it looks and sounds on BD. I've added it to my queue.
Ray77085's Avatar Ray77085
12:37 PM Liked: 133
post #19534 of 19898
01-11-2015 | Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Nice to hear more positive LFE statements about this film.

I was due to receive this in the mail yesterday and had one going out. For some reason the mailman did not stop at my box. The movie I was sending back is still in my box with flag up. I guess I'll have to wait till Monday to get my bass fix.
Movies are indeed subjective !!
I gave this film a viewing last night and was not impressed with the overall film. Although I will give it credit, where credit is due and that is in the Bass dept !! Being that RedBox doesn't have the blu-ray, I did the download/streaming on Netflix.
So on Netflix it was HD with a Dobly 5.1 track. I'm sure the blu-ray disc would be a better picture and sound. Anyway as stated the bass was "awesome" and that is how a monster should sound. (LOL)........
Once and done for me, but it was a fun bass ride.
Ray77085's Avatar Ray77085
12:44 PM Liked: 133
post #19535 of 19898
01-11-2015 | Posts: 720
Joined: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
That review sounds like Dune need's to have a revisit for sure. Good looking out!!



I'm with you as I enjoyed this Sci Fi film when I first seen it. It's been almost 30 years since I've watched so I look forward to reading about your take on how it looks and sounds on BD. I've added it to my queue.
Say what ?? 30-years ago !! WOW....... We are from back in the day, and notice I said we. (LOL)... I remember Dune and thought it was a great movie back then. Please post up on the bass on your revisit, with the remake version.
discone's Avatar discone
05:34 PM Liked: 123
post #19536 of 19898
01-11-2015 | Posts: 344
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Movies are indeed subjective !!
I gave this film a viewing last night and was not impressed with the overall film. Although I will give it credit, where credit is due and that is in the Bass dept !! Being that RedBox doesn't have the blu-ray, I did the download/streaming on Netflix.
So on Netflix it was HD with a Dobly 5.1 track. I'm sure the blu-ray disc would be a better picture and sound. Anyway as stated the bass was "awesome" and that is how a monster should sound. (LOL)........
Once and done for me, but it was a fun bass ride.
Sweeeeet!! I'm glad to hear your take did not leave out what was important, The Bass! I'll prep myself to go in with an open mind knowing the film is subjective. Even if not that great of a story it will fill the need for bass and curiosity.

I had to due some trickery to get this film. There is always a couple of movies in our queue that we can stream while waiting for our BD's in the mail, this being one of them. Every time this film got voted out for another one so I decided to bump it up in the queue so the BD would come in the mail and no voting is needed. I'll see how it looks and sounds tomorrow. I think it only has DD 5.1 for audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Say what ?? 30-years ago !! WOW....... We are from back in the day, and notice I said we. (LOL)... I remember Dune and thought it was a great movie back then. Please post up on the bass on your revisit, with the remake version.

LOL!! Nice to know I'm not the only one old enough to know better but still young enough to try it if we want to.
I know I hate to type those big numbers as I feel my body should be done ageing. If I age any more I may start to rot. Just kidding I'm loving this time of my life and as long as my mind still remembers things from back in the day then all is good. Will for sure post up my thoughts when I get the chance to watch Dune.
GPBURNS's Avatar GPBURNS
08:04 PM Liked: 146
post #19537 of 19898
01-11-2015 | Posts: 612
Joined: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Ragnarok has to be the LFE sleeper hit of the year! This track let's you know it means business right from the opening and there are many great LFE moments throughout (but more toward the end). Well worth a rent for bass heads. PQ held up well on my screen also.
cool - monsters and bass - always up for that
wyattroa's Avatar wyattroa
08:22 AM Liked: 93
post #19538 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 276
Joined: Jan 2007
Well, this week I did my fair share of watching films. Need for Speed, great movie and great audio really nothing bad to say about it, Guardians of the Galaxy- still one of my favorites of the last year, The maze Runner- really liked this movie, bass and surround. Then last night I watched the Equalizer, I thought this movie was very well done. Its now on my watch list on amazon.
Brian Fineberg's Avatar Brian Fineberg
08:36 AM Liked: 982
post #19539 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 4,266
Joined: Feb 2002
those are all great movies with great sound! well done hhaa
lizrussspike's Avatar lizrussspike
10:08 AM Liked: 27
post #19540 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 237
Joined: May 2008
Thanks for mentioning Snowpiercer folks(sorry I forgot exactly who). Did think it was a decent movie, but the LFE was great. Thought that there was good bass in scenes that needed to be. Thanks again for throwing this one out there, as I enjoyed it.
Legairre's Avatar Legairre
10:15 AM Liked: 83
post #19541 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 4,930
Joined: Feb 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Expendables 3 is a all out bass fest! 4.5 star
Saw Expendables 3 this weekend with my dual Hsu VTF15 mk2 subs. You are so right, this one really rocks the house. Great picture, surround and killer bass. One of my bass favorites. If you don't get bass on this one something is setup incorrectly in your system or you're sitting in a big bass null. 4.5 stars.
Gamecock24's Avatar Gamecock24
03:16 PM Liked: 98
post #19542 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 524
Joined: Jul 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Sweeeeet!! I'm glad to hear your take did not leave out what was important, The Bass! I'll prep myself to go in with an open mind knowing the film is subjective. Even if not that great of a story it will fill the need for bass and curiosity.



I had to due some trickery to get this film. There is always a couple of movies in our queue that we can stream while waiting for our BD's in the mail, this being one of them. Every time this film got voted out for another one so I decided to bump it up in the queue so the BD would come in the mail and no voting is needed. I'll see how it looks and sounds tomorrow. I think it only has DD 5.1 for audio.









LOL!! Nice to know I'm not the only one old enough to know better but still young enough to try it if we want to.

I know I hate to type those big numbers as I feel my body should be done ageing. If I age any more I may start to rot. Just kidding I'm loving this time of my life and as long as my mind still remembers things from back in the day then all is good. Will for sure post up my thoughts when I get the chance to watch Dune.

I saw Dune for sale on Amazon for $7 today.


Sent from my iPhone using TheChive - KCCO!
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater
05:02 PM Liked: 770
post #19543 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 1,984
Joined: Oct 2013
Just revisited Master and Commander today. The cannon fire in the battle scenes gave the subs a decent workout and I was also surprised by the quality of the over all audio mixing. Good movie for bass and surround sound IMO. Well worth watching.
Toe's Avatar Toe
07:05 PM Liked: 645
post #19544 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 13,509
Joined: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
cool - monsters and bass - always up for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Nice to hear more positive LFE statements about this film.

I was due to receive this in the mail yesterday and had one going out. For some reason the mailman did not stop at my box. The movie I was sending back is still in my box with flag up. I guess I'll have to wait till Monday to get my bass fix.

I am curious to see this one measured. While subjectively the single digit stuff did not hit super hard, it sure seems to be there and the track seems to be unfiltered. It was a ton of fun either way though for bass/audio and I am sure you will enjoy it from a sound perspective (I enjoyed the movie, but that's very subjective of course). Curious what you guys think after you watch it though.
audiofan1's Avatar audiofan1
10:04 PM Liked: 589
post #19545 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 3,398
Joined: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Just revisited Master and Commander today. The cannon fire in the battle scenes gave the subs a decent workout and I was also surprised by the quality of the over all audio mixing. Good movie for bass and surround sound IMO. Well worth watching.

I picked this up 2 yrs ago and its still sealed I loved the DVD version and its well known the awards this one won for its audio mix. Now from what I understand, there is a difference between the blu and the dvd version audio wise where the bass is concerned and why I haven't prioritized watching the bluray copy I picked up.


Its good to hear its not as bad as I feared.
kevings's Avatar kevings
10:23 PM Liked: 226
post #19546 of 19898
01-12-2015 | Posts: 855
Joined: Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
So months ago, I'd caught the middle of Pacific Rim on HBO. Then over the holidays I finally picked up the Blu for cheap, and last night I finally talked the Mrs. into watching it. It was a tough sell. I had to play the Del Toro card hard. She was pushing for Downton Abbey instead , but she finally gave in.

Ten minutes into the movie, she leans over and says, "You were right, this is really good." That'll make talking her into the next bass monster easier. She loves bass, but kind of forgets.

What a killer ride! It was way more fun watching it from the beginning. Loved the pace and bass from start to finish. We were both pretty much wired for two hours. Can't wait for the sequels!
Mogrub, couldnt agree with you more... Pacific Rim was fun, a throwback to watching robotech as a kid, and had some serious bass. Video quality was also reference caliber IMO.
discone's Avatar discone
03:56 AM Liked: 123
post #19547 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 344
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I am curious to see this one measured. While subjectively the single digit stuff did not hit super hard, it sure seems to be there and the track seems to be unfiltered. It was a ton of fun either way though for bass/audio and I am sure you will enjoy it from a sound perspective (I enjoyed the movie, but that's very subjective of course). Curious what you guys think after you watch it though.

Great looking forward to the sound on this film Toe!

I'm still waiting though as for some reason I can't get the mailman here. We did get snow Saturday and Sunday, but it isn't like I'm that rural for them to get out. I'm due to get The Maze Runner today so if I get lucky and mail runs I'll be set for a couple of days.
Toe's Avatar Toe
05:37 AM Liked: 645
post #19548 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 13,509
Joined: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Great looking forward to the sound on this film Toe!

I'm still waiting though as for some reason I can't get the mailman here. We did get snow Saturday and Sunday, but it isn't like I'm that rural for them to get out. I'm due to get The Maze Runner today so if I get lucky and mail runs I'll be set for a couple of days.
Good luck and hope your mail comes through. I have Maze Runner coming as well which should hit today.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater
07:59 AM Liked: 770
post #19549 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 1,984
Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
I picked this up 2 yrs ago and its still sealed I loved the DVD version and its well known the awards this one won for its audio mix. Now from what I understand, there is a difference between the blu and the dvd version audio wise where the bass is concerned and why I haven't prioritized watching the bluray copy I picked up.


Its good to hear its not as bad as I feared.
Yeah the first time I watched it years ago it was the DVD but I didn't have the system I have now so I didn't notice the audio and I certainly missed out on the bass. I don't know if the Blu-ray is as good as the DVD (watch it sometime and let me know) but it was most definitely worth watching. It's a good movie IMO so even if the blu-ray falls short of the DVD its still worth putting the time aside to watch it.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman
08:06 AM Liked: 505
post #19550 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 3,934
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Great looking forward to the sound on this film Toe!



I'm still waiting though as for some reason I can't get the mailman here. We did get snow Saturday and Sunday, but it isn't like I'm that rural for them to get out. I'm due to get The Maze Runner today so if I get lucky and mail runs I'll be set for a couple of days.

"Nor rain, nor sleet, nor snow."...my ass


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Mongo171's Avatar Mongo171
08:14 AM Liked: 809
post #19551 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 2,206
Joined: Mar 2013
I know when just south of us got 7 feet or more of snow, they didn't get mail for a week.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater
08:20 AM Liked: 770
post #19552 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 1,984
Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
"Nor rain, nor sleet, nor snow."...my ass
LOL, that's both true and funny.
mogrub's Avatar mogrub
09:50 AM Liked: 146
post #19553 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 656
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
Pacific Rim was fun, a throwback to watching robotech as a kid ...
Gigantor, anyone? ;-)
Reefdvr27's Avatar Reefdvr27
10:03 AM Liked: 607
post #19554 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 3,388
Joined: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Good luck and hope your mail comes through. I have Maze Runner coming as well which should hit today.
Maze Runner was great!! Great soundtrack, solid 4. I also loved the movie. Picked up Gone Girl and Walk Among the Tombstones a little while ago. Not sure if I am getting any bass out of these two, but hopefully Fury will make up for next week or the week after, whenever it is released.
ambesolman's Avatar ambesolman
10:48 AM Liked: 505
post #19555 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 3,934
Joined: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post
Maze Runner was great!! Great soundtrack, solid 4. I also loved the movie. Picked up Gone Girl and Walk Among the Tombstones a little while ago. Not sure if I am getting any bass out of these two, but hopefully Fury will make up for next week or the week after, whenever it is released.

See what happens when you actually unwrap your movies?[emoji16]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
discone's Avatar discone
11:59 AM Liked: 123
post #19556 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 344
Joined: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo171 View Post
I know when just south of us got 7 feet or more of snow, they didn't get mail for a week.

Wow I guess it would be a little understandable with that amount! I bet not much of anything was getting around let alone mail.

I got home early today and they have plowed our street. Of course now I had to clear out the snow pile that the plow left in front of the mailbox. I don't want them saying it was blocked. If it wasn't for the bass movies I would have left it for nothing else is due expect bills.
mogrub's Avatar mogrub
12:07 PM Liked: 146
post #19557 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 656
Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Just revisited Master and Commander today ... Good movie for bass and surround sound IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
I picked this up 2 yrs ago and its still sealed I loved the DVD ... from what I understand, there is a difference between the blu and the dvd version where the bass is concerned ... good to hear its not as bad as I feared.
Hey Hops and AF, I bought the Blu figuring it would be even better audio / bass than the DVD, which had been fantastic. So the Blu possibly lacking LFE was news to me. Thanks for the heads up.

I just burned lunch time looking for details. Ralph Potts has never reviewed M&C, but I found this Blu review that gives M&C 5 stars. But unfortunately, the word "bass" does not appear once. Not a good first sign. Just a couple lines:

The audio is the real spark that ignites Master and Commander, bringing life to the action. This was apparent even in the DVD version, but the Blu-ray goes beyond the excellent sound quality of the earlier release ... Listen to the battle scene at the beginning of the film when cannons fire, the projectiles rip through the air and slam into the hull of the Surprise, splintering the wood, sending men and debris flying.

Turns out there are two AVS threads that compare M&C's LFE in the DVD vs. the Blu-Ray. One is here, and a longer one here. Short story is that measurements confirm the DVD has superior LFE on the discs tested. Looks like a LPF was applied to at least the first run of Blu pressings. There are also posts suggesting (a) the filter may have been removed on later pressings of the Blu, and (b) you can dodge the filter if you watch the Spanish or French versions (using subtitles) on the Blu. The tradeoff there is that'll give you a lossy version instead of the lossless DTS-HD MA on the English audio Blu track.

Here's the conclusion thread starter Snowmandick posted after M&C got examined for about a thousand posts on his longer thread:

Update After Lengthy Debate: Apparently the only film that has some kind of filtering is Master and Commander. This thread has a couple of well done waterfalls comparing the LFE on M&C on both DVD and BD. The BD does appear to have less LFE but, again, this appears to be the only film with a difference between the DVD and BD, so it is not apparently a trend ... this thread has served to answer that question rather definitively.
jcwhammie's Avatar jcwhammie
03:31 PM Liked: 22
post #19558 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 125
Joined: Nov 2013
So The Maze Runner finally hit Redbox today. I searched online to find a copy of the bluray, but I'm only able to search for the DVD. I then looked online to see if I could find if they're only doing the DVD release of this, but I couldn't find any info. Does anyone know any info on potential Maze Runner on Redbox? I seem to remember another movie a year (I don't remember which movie) or so ago that they only had the DVD copy.

I was looking forward to picking it up since it looks to have good video in addition to audio. I may just have to be archaic (ha) and get the DVD.
Hopinater's Avatar Hopinater
06:05 PM Liked: 770
post #19559 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 1,984
Joined: Oct 2013
Great research Mogrub, thanks for that info. I will say the LFE may be lacking on the Blu-ray but it's still got some good bass moments. And the audio in the battle scenes (with the surrounds going full out) was really very well done.
gene4ht's Avatar gene4ht
06:18 PM Liked: 14
post #19560 of 19898
01-13-2015 | Posts: 341
Joined: Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwhammie View Post
So The Maze Runner finally hit Redbox today. I searched online to find a copy of the bluray, but I'm only able to search for the DVD. I then looked online to see if I could find if they're only doing the DVD release of this, but I couldn't find any info. Does anyone know any info on potential Maze Runner on Redbox? I seem to remember another movie a year (I don't remember which movie) or so ago that they only had the DVD copy.

I was looking forward to picking it up since it looks to have good video in addition to audio. I may just have to be archaic (ha) and get the DVD.
The bluray version of Maze Runner at Redbox is not available in my area either. I've also noticed lately that this is occurring with other recent releases as well.
Tags: The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr

Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3