The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 658 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2015, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Bass is good. Not as good as Conjuring, tho. IMO, of course.
So is the Conjuring the only horror movie with the best bass? Are there more horror movies in bluray with 5 star bass?

Any good bass in the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in bluray?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Overall audio, true. LFE, no. Same mix, you're not going to tell a difference.
No. The bass on bluray sounds more cleaner and controlled compared to the DVD version. The DVD is sometimes louder but lacks detail and sounds sloppy. I'm always comparing dvd to bluray. I've learned the characteristics of each when it comes to PQ and SQ.

Try it yourself.

home theater addict
Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 180
^^ Triangle
audiofan1 likes this.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post
So is the Conjuring the only horror movie with the best bass? Are there more horror movies in bluray with 5 star bass?

Any good bass in the Dawn of the Planet of the Apes in bluray?
yes to apes..

the Haunting is a very good horror bass flick

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPR-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Old 01-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Still not on blu-ray. Grrrr!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 01-22-2015, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ Triangle
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
yes to apes..

the Haunting is a very good horror bass flick
Thanks, will buy the Apes.

About the Haunting, is this movie in bluray or DVD? If it is in DVD, is it the DTS version or the regular Dolby Digital version?
Old 01-22-2015, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 1073
dvd dts version is the one i have...dot know if its out in BR

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Denon x4100 ATMOS 5.2.4| Emotiva XPR-5 | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | DUAL PSA XS30 | OPPO 103 | minidsp | Buttkicker LFE

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
dvd dts version is the one i have...dot know if its out in BR

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
No. The bass on bluray sounds more cleaner and controlled compared to the DVD version. The DVD is sometimes louder but lacks detail and sounds sloppy. I'm always comparing dvd to bluray. I've learned the characteristics of each when it comes to PQ and SQ.

Try it yourself.
I have and I disagree completely. Only way to eliminate psychoacoustics is a blind test. The bandwidth for LFE covers at most 1-120 Hz. For the rest of the audio spectrum 1-20,000 KHz is used. Big difference. DVDs can easily handle the LFE spectrum.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I have and I disagree completely. Only way to eliminate psychoacoustics is a blind test. The bandwidth for LFE covers at most 1-120 Hz. For the rest of the audio spectrum 1-20,000 KHz is used. Big difference. DVDs can easily handle the LFE spectrum.
Like i said try some comparisons yourself. The difference is there. The bluray is clearly superior. Lossy vs lossless on bluray i find the same on some movies. It can be identical but there a few blurays where it's night and day. V for Vendetta is one example. The overall SQ is much better with the lossless track than the 384kbps DD. Then there others like Pirates of the Caribbean 1 to 3 i find there's no difference at all. And that's a Dolby Digital track at 640kbps vs a PCM track at a constant 6.9mbps.

home theater addict
Old 01-22-2015, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Perhaps there is at least one movie that has better bass in DVD than BR. The Haunting and TitanAE DVDs have incredible bass.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1517 Post(s)
Liked: 761
^^^

Master & Commander is reportedly better on DVD.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Interesting. The guys over at Data-bass say it IS filtered and similar to Riddick. Riddick did sound great but was obviously missing the ULF.

They also said perhaps it could have been filtered after it was mixed. If that was the case and I was FilmMixer I would be pissed.

Hopefully @FilmMixer can stop by again.

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...-131#entry5784
Didn't Riddick have solid LFE down to 15hz ? That's a pretty respectable use of LFE and it did sound great. I'm really hoping "Fury" delivers as I plan a blind buy
Old 01-22-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps there is at least one movie that has better bass in DVD than BR. The Haunting and TitanAE DVDs have incredible bass.
And then there's this. But still, some DVD's may be louder and not filtered but they don't have that.......cleanliness and sense of direction and space that the bluray versions have. Twister is yet another good example i find.

home theater addict
Old 01-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1287
Quote:
Like i said try some comparisons yourself. The difference is there. The bluray is clearly superior. Lossy vs lossless on bluray i find the same on some movies. It can be identical but there a few blurays where it's night and day. V for Vendetta is one example. The overall SQ is much better with the lossless track than the 384kbps DD. Then there others like Pirates of the Caribbean 1 to 3 i find there's no difference at all. And that's a Dolby Digital track at 640kbps vs a PCM track at a constant 6.9mbps.
640k DD can sound pretty damn good. The dvd rate 384 and 448 do not sound good and I can tell easily.

Quote:
Yes they do! And both not on BD still. GGGrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
^^^

Master & Commander is reportedly better on DVD.
It actually sounds better on BD but the bass was neutered <30hz compared to the dvd version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Didn't Riddick have solid LFE down to 15hz ? That's a pretty respectable use of LFE and it did sound great. I'm really hoping "Fury" delivers as I plan a blind buy
Riddick starts to roll off <30hz but it does have pretty decent LFE just not much ULF content. Expect similar from 'Fury'. It does have very hard hitting bass though.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Steep filter on that one, -10db point at 27hz

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/98-riddick-unrated-execution-and-recommendation-poll-closed/#entry2498
Old 01-22-2015, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ Can't complain about hard hitting bass! I'm sure the extra ULF grunt would have put this over the top !

Thanks
Old 01-22-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
And then there's this. But still, some DVD's may be louder and not filtered but they don't have that.......cleanliness and sense of direction and space that the bluray versions have. Twister is yet another good example i find.
By definition, BR tracks will have higher bitrate audio than DVDs. Assuming that, and then assuming your contention that BR LFE is tighter/less sloppy, whatever because of the technical limitations of DVD, then you would NEVER have a DVD that sounds better for the LFE spectrum. That's not the case. Also, what "direction and space" are you hearing from the LFE portion of the track??

Again, I'm sure you do hear differences. But unless you're subjected to a blind test, you can't possibly know how much of it can be attributed to the psychological effect of KNOWING you're listening to a lossless track.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Not to mention when the vast majority of AVR's and Pre's when DRC is applied its a max of 48khz from bluray regardless of the sampling rate that pretty much levels the playing field of using a higher sampling rate. Still to date IMHO 192/24 bit lossless from Akira and a few more, are the only movies that can boast a discernable difference in fidelity! That's of course if you turn Audyssey and the like off !
Old 01-22-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
By definition, BR tracks will have higher bitrate audio than DVDs. Assuming that, and then assuming your contention that BR LFE is tighter/less sloppy, whatever because of the technical limitations of DVD, then you would NEVER have a DVD that sounds better for the LFE spectrum. That's not the case.
What dvd's sound better than the bluray versions? None.

Quote:
Also, what "direction and space" are you hearing from the LFE portion of the track??
Haha. It just sounds more real to me. It has better presence. I'm mentioning alot of superlatives but that's the best way i can explain what i experience.
Quote:
Again, I'm sure you do hear differences. But unless you're subjected to a blind test, you can't possibly know how much of it can be attributed to the psychological effect of KNOWING you're listening to a lossless track.
I'd love to do one. I'm sure i'll still be able to tell the difference.

home theater addict
Old 01-22-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What dvd's sound better than the bluray versions? None.
Umm, a couple were quoted on this very page. Again, we're not talking about the overall track, just the LFE.

Haha. It just sounds more real to me. It has better presence. I'm mentioning alot of superlatives but that's the best way i can explain what i experience.

That's part of your problem. You think that presence, direction, and "airiness" comes from your LFE channel--it doesn't. Those cues come from your speakers. If you're hearing direction from your subs, it's crossed too high.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Umm, a couple were quoted on this very page. Again, we're not talking about the overall track, just the LFE.
Like I explained some dvd's are louder and unfiltered but the bluray still sounds better. Yes the LFE track.

Quote:
That's part of your problem. You think that presence, direction, and "airiness" comes from your LFE channel--it doesn't. Those cues come from your speakers. If you're hearing direction from your subs, it's crossed too high.
No man I'm not talking about the speakers at all. I know the difference. The bass on the bluray is more realistic and well put together. You're going to have to compare for yourself to understand.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 01-22-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Like I explained some dvd's are louder and unfiltered but the bluray still sounds better. Yes the LFE track.

No man I'm not talking about the speakers at all. I know the difference. The bass on the bluray is more realistic and well put together. You're going to compare yourself to understand.
Lol. Ok, I guess you're just going to keep ignoring where I said that I had. Hey, if it sounds better to you, that's all that matters at the end of the day.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Where did you say you've done these comparisons?

Anyway yeah this is what I hear. Everyone has a different opinion on PQ and AQ. But I mean the bass quality on dvds and blurays should be readily apparent.

The last movie I tested was Iron Man 3. Same results.

home theater addict
Old 01-22-2015, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Where did you say you've done these comparisons?
Quote:
here.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 5
... well I would agree that the track with the higher bit rate(most typically found on blurays) would have better quality.... however the track with the deeper lfe tracks(non filtered, usually found on dvd copies, and not blurays) have "better" lfe(low frequency effects/extension). I think that's the argument, not weather or not someone's subjective listening experience tends to make them think one track is better than the other. Data is all I care about.

Vizio M501d-A2R(Calibrated), LG BD-330, Panasonic BMP BD-87, Panasonic SC-HTB770(Custom LCR Mains, Kicker Comp 12" 4Ohm Sub)... Work In Progress
Old 01-22-2015, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

If the mixes are different, which is often the case, between DVD and BD, there's a good chance they'll sound different (and contain different data).

I've compared Hellboy DVD to to its BD counterpart. On these tracks, the mixer remapped the vocals to a song, from L&R (DVD) to the CC (BD), and restored the vocals to the song that disappear from the DVD (at 25:20), then reappear (at 25:48).
If you have both discs (DVD 0 43396 01317 9 and BD 0 43396 19172 3), and want to hear the difference, turn off your CC, play the DVD from 25:14 to 26:39 and play the BD from 26:28 to 28:16. Then play both segments with the CC on.

To me, the difference was obvious when I first heard the BD (hence, my research). Sometimes, my CC can throw an image that is smaller and more forward than a dual-mono image, as it did in this case.

There may be others on these discs, but they didn't grab my attention.

My point is, once someone's put their mitts on the stems, there's a good chance they've made some changes. So, the differences you hear may have nothing to do with codecs or the colour of the laser's beam.

Oh, and in this instance, I might prefer the dual-mono on the DVD over that of the CC on the BD, that doesn't mean I'll say the DVD is superior to the BD. It's just my preference, and one that is likely to be system-dependent.
Gary147852 likes this.

Two would seem to be two too many to me too.
Sarcasm is the sincerest form of flattery.
I bid you a fondue.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary147852 View Post
... well I would agree that the track with the higher bit rate(most typically found on blurays) would have better quality.... however the track with the deeper lfe tracks(non filtered, usually found on dvd copies, and not blurays) have &quot;better&quot; lfe(low frequency effects/extension). I think that's the argument, not weather or not someone's subjective listening experience tends to make them think one track is better than the other. Data is all I care about.
I spoke about this above.

home theater addict
Old 01-22-2015, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Since listening is subjective and open to our own biases...has someone measured a movie on DVD vs BD and show that the lfe is different? That is the ONLY WAY to settle this question...with SCIENCE!
Gary147852 likes this.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Old 01-22-2015, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Deplace View Post
If the mixes are different, which is often the case, between DVD and BD, there's a good chance they'll sound different (and contain different data).

I've compared Hellboy DVD to to its BD counterpart. On these tracks, the mixer remapped the vocals to a song, from L&R (DVD) to the CC (BD), and restored the vocals to the song that disappear from the DVD (at 25:20), then reappear (at 25:48).
If you have both discs (DVD 0 43396 01317 9 and BD 0 43396 19172 3), and want to hear the difference, turn off your CC, play the DVD from 25:14 to 26:39 and play the BD from 26:28 to 28:16. Then play both segments with the CC on.

To me, the difference was obvious when I first heard the BD (hence, my research). Sometimes, my CC can throw an image that is smaller and more forward than a dual-mono image, as it did in this case.

There may be others on these discs, but they didn't grab my attention.

My point is, once someone's put their mitts on the stems, there's a good chance they've made some changes. So, the differences you hear may have nothing to do with codecs or the colour of the laser's beam.

Oh, and in this instance, I might prefer the dual-mono on the DVD over that of the CC on the BD, that doesn't mean I'll say the DVD is superior to the BD. It's just my preference, and one that is likely to be system-dependent.
Yes blurays can have a different mix. Maby more for the older releases than recent ones. But there are lossy and lossless tracks on the same bluray that still sound different. The Patriot is another where the overall sound and LFE are better with the PCM track than the DD. I guess it depends because that's not always the case as i explained in my other post.

I even find that lossy on bluray has better quality to it than the same lossy on dvd. How about that.

home theater addict

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr