The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 671 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #20101 of 20118 Unread 02-28-2015, 10:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Lower level may be the issue for you Eighteens with Total Recall (although I'm yet to see this myself) so boost the subs (run them hotter than normal) when watching next time. The Incredible Hulk is definitely a benchmark track I don't think anyone here, no matter what the setup they have, would disagree. Other bass heavy films that I would recommend if you haven't seen them already.

Tron Legacy
Dredd (boost level a bit for this one too)
Olympus Has Fallen
Hellboy2
Gone with the Wind (just kidding)
audiofan1 and Hopinater like this.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20102 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
Lower level may be the issue for you Eighteens with Total Recall (although I'm yet to see this myself) so boost the subs (run them hotter than normal) when watching next time. The Incredible Hulk is definitely a benchmark track I don't think anyone here, no matter what the setup they have, would disagree. Other bass heavy films that I would recommend if you haven't seen them already.

Tron Legacy
Dredd (boost level a bit for this one too)
Olympus Has Fallen
Hellboy2
Gone with the Wind (just kidding)
Great list. I would also add:
Elysium (that had decent bass)
Inception
Battle Los Angeles

And for anyone with kids:
Nemo
How to Train your Dragon
And Kung Fu Panda
audiofan1 likes this.
post #20103 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Great list. I would also add:
Elysium (that had decent bass)
Inception
Battle Los Angeles

And for anyone with kids:
Nemo
How to Train your Dragon
And Kung Fu Panda
Elysium is a great movie for the sealed guys. That movie digs deep.
post #20104 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 09:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Dead in Tombstone is among the best bass movie experiences. It's an all out low end assault so the fine wine guys need not apply, but the highly aggressive bass matches the tone/feel of the film perfectly IMO. One of the better bass films for those looking for lots of quantity.
audiofan1 likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; Yesterday at 09:53 AM.
post #20105 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post
This is actually misleading. While some receivers such as Onkyo default to having the DRC function on auto. Auto means just that it will only turn on DRC if the disc is authored to flag the DRC on. From my recollection the only wrongly authored disc that does this is the first Ironman movie, the fix is the manually turn off DRC.
interesting that you mention the first iron man movie....i've always been extremely disappointed with this one as it seems like it is muted...no weight to some of the scenes....the jericho missle scene in particular. i have an onkyo 805, so could this be the issue? i don't know that i've ever seen an option for DRC in the menu's....any suggestions?

BTW, coolcat....where you at in Cbus? or are you even in Cbus?
post #20106 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Seal team 8- Behind enemy lines has lots of good bass thru out the entire movie.
discone likes this.
post #20107 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 10:10 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
interesting that you mention the first iron man movie....i've always been extremely disappointed with this one as it seems like it is muted...no weight to some of the scenes....the jericho missle scene in particular. i have an onkyo 805, so could this be the issue? i don't know that i've ever seen an option for DRC in the menu's....any suggestions?

There should be a "L NIGHT" button on your Onkyo remote (I use an 885 Onkyo pre/pro). Press this button while the TrueHD track is playing until it reads "OFF". You cant set this to "OFF" by default for TrueHD, so I am just in the habit of always turning this off for TrueHD tracks just to be safe (it shouldn't be an issue for most, but Iron Man does trigger this ON as I remember).

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20108 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
There should be a "L NIGHT" button on your Onkyo remote (I use an 885 Onkyo pre/pro). Press this button while the TrueHD track is playing until it reads "OFF". You cant set this to "OFF" by default for TrueHD, so I am just in the habit of always turning this off for TrueHD tracks just to be safe (it shouldn't be an issue for most, but Iron Man does trigger this ON as I remember).
that's interesting. i will have to experiment with that. i don't use the stock remote though either....harmony one, but i think it does have that button on there. the one thing i have always disliked about the iron man disk in particular. u could tell it should hit hard during that jericho scene, and it just falls flat on it's face. thanks for the tip though....i will give it a shot later today.
post #20109 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Seal team 8- Behind enemy lines has lots of good bass thru out the entire movie.
Cool choice! It was a fun bass ride with that movie!

It had a few fun over the top scenes also but for me will not get a re-watch. The last couple of movies I've watched did not have much bass worth talking about, so I'm looking forward to the movie Serenity tonight for some of the bass I need.
post #20110 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Try Max Payne.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #20111 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 92
i watched "divergent" today...surrounds seemed to get a nice workout...

bass...? eh...not so much
derrickdj1 likes this.

at the zenith of his nadir...
post #20112 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Reign of Fire and Oblivion just got the yearly spin. Still fun soundtracks.
post #20113 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
My Onkyo NR-809 does that too with Dolby TrueHD. Very annoying.

What is it called on the Onkyo's?

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #20114 of 20118 Unread Yesterday, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Did a respin with Oblivion today. First time watching it ever since my whole speaker mains and surround upgrades. Wow.. Just wow!!
post #20115 of 20118 Unread Today, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post

That will definitely be the reason why you think Ironman felt muted, late night for this disc needs to be set to off. I haven't had my 805 for about 4 years now but as Toe mentioned just press the L Night button till your display says off. I too have a harmony one and happen to still have the 805 as one of the devices on my remote. Now select the 805 on your devices menu of your Harmony, you look on page 10 of 17 you should have a late night state button, this is what you need to press, press until you see off on the display of your 805. You can only press this button while a Dolby TrueHD source is playing otherwise it say unavailable. After doing this I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Ironman no more. The cave emergence scene and Jericho missile scenes will have the impact you were expecting.
post #20116 of 20118 Unread Today, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
What is it called on the Onkyo's?
It's called late night. As I mentioned earlier this defaults to auto for all Onkyos for Dolby TrueHD material and even if you turn off the late night function it will revert back to auto every time you turn off the receiver. But like I said apart from the Ironman disc which was wrongly authored to flag the DRC to on, you really don't need to adjust this setting to get the full uncompressed audio of other TrueHD material.
post #20117 of 20118 Unread Today, 03:57 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Did a respin with Oblivion today. First time watching it ever since my whole speaker mains and surround upgrades. Wow.. Just wow!!

Nice!!

I've been wanting to see that film again since my upgrade. It has been on HBO and every time the wife flips it on I'm having her turn it off saying it is coming up in the queue to watch on Blu-ray.
post #20118 of 20118 Unread Today, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post
It's called late night. As I mentioned earlier this defaults to auto for all Onkyos for Dolby TrueHD material and even if you turn off the late night function it will revert back to auto every time you turn off the receiver. But like I said apart from the Ironman disc which was wrongly authored to flag the DRC to on, you really don't need to adjust this setting to get the full uncompressed audio of other TrueHD material.
I had my night setting set on low ( most likely because of Ironman) on my Denon, didn't even realize it for close to a year. Low is even worse because the highs and lows are muted but not quite enough to make it obvious. I was always wondering why Ralph praised the A/V of certain movies and I found some of them a little muddy with the bass and some what restrained with the highs. The only good thing about turning it off is now it feels like I have brand new system and can replay certain movies again and enjoy them in its proper way.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com