The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 672 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #20131 of 20144 Old 03-02-2015, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODES View Post
What is it called on the Onkyo's?
Think it's called Late Night mode or just Night mode.

JBL Pro Cinema equipped
GO MANCHESTER UNITED!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #20132 of 20144 Old 03-02-2015, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 724
on my denon x4000 the dynamic range compression that gets enabled for TrueHD was hidden under a menu called 'surround parameters' and then there was an option called 'loudness management' with the subfield 'dynamic compression'. Disabling loudness management seems to have permanently fixed it. In order to see the option even you had to have the main feature movie already playing with dolby trueHD (if the mode was pro logic, such as with the menu screen, you would not see it).

facepalm for all the times I've been jacked by this 'feature'!

Thanks Alan for posting about it!
ambesolman and Hopinater like this.
post #20133 of 20144 Old 03-02-2015, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post
That will definitely be the reason why you think Ironman felt muted, late night for this disc needs to be set to off. I haven't had my 805 for about 4 years now but as Toe mentioned just press the L Night button till your display says off. I too have a harmony one and happen to still have the 805 as one of the devices on my remote. Now select the 805 on your devices menu of your Harmony, you look on page 10 of 17 you should have a late night state button, this is what you need to press, press until you see off on the display of your 805. You can only press this button while a Dolby TrueHD source is playing otherwise it say unavailable. After doing this I'm sure you won't be disappointed with Ironman no more. The cave emergence scene and Jericho missile scenes will have the impact you were expecting.
thanks for the extra details. much appreciated.
post #20134 of 20144 Old 03-02-2015, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
on my denon x4000 the dynamic range compression that gets enabled for TrueHD was hidden under a menu called 'surround parameters' and then there was an option called 'loudness management' with the subfield 'dynamic compression'. Disabling loudness management seems to have permanently fixed it. In order to see the option even you had to have the main feature movie already playing with dolby trueHD (if the mode was pro logic, such as with the menu screen, you would not see it).

LOL seriously? Geez, I better go check that now. I have a lower end Denon (1909) than yours so I'm not sure I have that loudness management option but if I do and I see that its also enabled, I'm gonna knock my head against the wall. Damn I wish this thread info came about a couple of years ago.
post #20135 of 20144 Old 03-02-2015, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just watched Hubble and that second launch scene was insane.
post #20136 of 20144 Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM

ok, so just threw in iron man 1, sure enough on my onkyo 805 it defaults to the late night function. listened the first time around with it still on....flat and boring. turned it off and replayed the same scenes....such a huge difference. i have always been so disappointed with the flat feel of this movie and never thought to check the late night since i never turned it on in the first place. much more impact with the lfe, and even the highs were much more dynamic. very cool to say the least as i have always loved the movie itself...the audio just always depressed me. much different now. thanks for the tip guys. i will be sure to double check this setting with any future TrueHD movies.
Toe and Reddig like this.
post #20137 of 20144 Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:

Thanks for the in depth explanation. Looks like I need to start digging around my Denon menus. I thought I had a good grasp on them but after reading your experience now I'm not so sure.
mo949 likes this.
post #20138 of 20144 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Seems like all the manufacturers obfuscate some of their settings. My Yamaha RX-V775 has dynamic range options for TrueHD and DTS Master ... but also has a dynamic range setting for volume that effects all modes (?) or just Cinema DSP modes... The manual says things like "enhance enjoyment"; sounds like a blurb on a box of condoms, not an AVR manual. Bleh, I try to run my system with these options all disabled.

Hope I'm not derailing the conversation by mentioning HEAT (1995) by Michael Mann. Just got this on BD at Best Buy for $8. The shootout downtown may disappoint since they dropped using full-range gun shot effects and used the location recordings (Mann recognized when the wrong gun sound FX were used, as everyone on the cast trained with the actual guns on the LAPD judgmental training course ... with live rounds!).

The climax when Pacino is chasing De Niro across the LAX runway area, with jumbo jets landing right overhead ... sounds amazing. I tested a budget sub at BB using this scene, and on their setup you could hear Pacino's footsteps in the grass along with the rumble of a just-landed jet. I'm convinced that even with good mains (old Bose 401s) that go down to 60Hz or so, I need an articulate, capable sub to handle the < 100Hz material.

The film may not be everyone's cup of tea (a nearly three hour, operatic cops 'n robbers "post noir" film), but I've always loved Dante Spinotti's photography, the cast's performances, and Mann's mixture of source music and sound to create mood. It's not the greatest BD release, but the film has some moments that ought to flex your HT setup.
galonzo likes this.

Modest "theater": Samsung UN40ES6150, Panasonic BDT210, Yamaha RXV775. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center.

Last edited by ChromeJob; Yesterday at 01:47 PM.
post #20139 of 20144 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM

Gave John Wick a spin today. I seemed to have gotten the ol' redbox DD version with no lossless. that was kinda irritating, but oh well. everyone that says this has some good bass to it is right. quite impactful and at the right moments. nothing ridiculously low, but had some great punch and added great weight to the flick. story was pretty decent....for a keanu reeves movie. lol.
post #20140 of 20144 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Big Hero 6 actually had more bass than I expected it to have. Nothing crazy, but pretty decent.

Game room> 60" LG plasma. Onkyo TX-NR509, Infinity Primus P363 fronts, P163 center, P163 rears, PSA XS30 15" dual driver sub. PS4 and XBox One. Living Room> 59" Samsung plasma. Onkyo HT-RC560, JBL Studio 180 fronts, Studio 120c center, Polk R150 sides, Polk RC60i in-wall rears, SVS PB12-NSD 12" sub. PS3 and XBox 360. Computer Room> Pioneer VSX-456 (old school), Infinity Primus P163 fronts, SVS SB12-NSD 12" sub.
post #20141 of 20144 Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Hope I'm not derailing the conversation by mentioning HEAT (1995) by Michael Mann. Just got this on BD at Best Buy for $8. The shootout downtown may disappoint since they dropped using full-range gun shot effects and used the location recordings (Mann recognized when the wrong gun sound FX were used, as everyone on the cast trained with the actual guns on the LAPD judgmental training course ... with live rounds!)
I'll need to pick this one up; this was one of my go-to demo scenes to show off 5.1 on DVD (and I wasn't even aware of this behind the scenes trivia, or if there was very much surround action; I just remember thinking it sounded so real!)

UN78HU9000FXZA
Panasonic DMP-BD60 (4:2:2)
Onkyo TX-NR616 (7.1)
AppleTV
PS3
post #20142 of 20144 Unread Today, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post
The hunger games is not that great in the LFE department. Not a lot of action in the movie so not a lot of LFE. It starts to roll off at 25-30hz and almost no content below 20hz.
This matches exactly what I hear when I watched it last week. A few decent bass scenes, especially the bombing scene, but nothing that dug real deep. Overall disappointment and not enough action. They have taken that series too far imo.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #20143 of 20144 Unread Today, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digler84 View Post
Gave John Wick a spin today. I seemed to have gotten the ol' redbox DD version with no lossless. that was kinda irritating, but oh well. everyone that says this has some good bass to it is right. quite impactful and at the right moments. nothing ridiculously low, but had some great punch and added great weight to the flick. story was pretty decent....for a keanu reeves movie. lol.
John Wick extends to 1hz

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...oll/#entry6333

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide --> http://www.mediafire.com/view/aolmz2..._101_v3.92.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #20144 of 20144 Unread Today, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can we please get off the Denon chit chat already? Not singling you out as I am politely asking all involved. This is a thread for movies with bass. Not trying to be the forum police but this conversation has drug on for almost 3 pages. Thx!!

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page