The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 694 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #20791 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Here is a good recent example with Expendables 3 DD 5.1 vs TrueHD 7.1 where they are damn near identical as far as low end.....

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...d-poll-closed/

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #20792 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
If there's no perceptive difference in the bass between lossy and lossless audio; then I'll have super early tonight and I will start again buying DVDs instead of Blu-rays.
Thank you very much.

Obviously there are other reasons to buy the blu ray vs the DVD I don't know about you, but on my 9' wide screen, there is a vast difference in general PQ between DVD and blu ray among other things.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #20793 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wth718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Nothing psycho about me buddy.
Lol. I wasn't insulting you. Psychoacoustics is well-known phenomenon where people perceive difference when there is none. That's what makes blind tests so important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
The blu ray had a fair number of loud bass moments, but nothing real deep subjectively from my viewing. If it did go deep, it was not at a high level.
Agreed. Decent bass, nothing special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
If there's no perceptive difference in the bass between lossy and lossless audio; then I'll have super early tonight and I will start again buying DVDs instead of Blu-rays.
Thank you very much.

But wait a second here; how would I get hi-def picture in 3D now? ...And why are they calling the audio on Blu-ray hi-res?
Did my ears lie to me during all those years (from 2006)? ...That's almost ten years. ...5,000+ DVDs and 4,000+ Blu-rays later. ...Plus 400+ HD DVDs.
I'll have to reassess my situation; perhaps $7.99 a month (Netflix) is good enough? ...I really think NOT.

'Apocalypse Now' ... a great flick, on Blu-ray. ...The Redux version.
...With reasonable bass, but nothing to shake down my four walls and crash my ceiling on my head plus crack the floor under my feet.
I don't think anyone on this thread has said that DVD is preferable to blu Ray. There are clearly benefits to the lossless medium, namely the overall resolution of the audio and picture quality. The only thing we're talking about is the bass, which comprises .585% of the bandwidth. Certainly not a night and day difference.
pajama sam and KMFDMvsEnya like this.
wth718 is online now  
post #20794 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
I don't think anyone on this thread has said that DVD is preferable to blu Ray. There are clearly benefits to the lossless medium, namely the overall resolution of the audio and picture quality. The only thing we're talking about is the bass, which comprises .585% of the bandwidth. Certainly not a night and day difference.
For some folks here that's all the difference between life and death. ...Include me in that bunch of great folks.

And don't feed them no less than lossless bass. ...Including me of course.
NorthSky is offline  
post #20795 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Mrkazador's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,086
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I'm not so sure about Babadook being hailed for good bass. There really wasn't that much. Is bass worse on Netflix? That's how I watched it.
There isn't much bass, just a couple scenes iirc.
audiofan1 likes this.
Mrkazador is offline  
post #20796 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post

And don't feed them no less than lossless bass. ...Including me of course.

Sure, but lossless bass doesn't mean $hit in a case like Master and Commander where the low end has been neutered compared to the lossy track on the dvd. All things being equal, we all want the lossless audio, but if you think you are getting any actual significant real world difference in the bass department with lossless vs lossy (again, all things being equal like same mix and volume) bass, you are fooling yourself.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #20797 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
You seem to be stuck with 'Master and Commander' ...yes, I know all about it, but I do have another 4,000+ Blus in my arsenal @ home. ...Real discs.

And 'Master ...' sounds great on Blu-ray. ...Abso!ute!y phenomenal with height information and them canons!
{I also have the Sp. Ed. on DVD as well; but when time to revisit it is still the Blu-ray for me...all the way, lossless bass included.}
NorthSky is offline  
post #20798 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
wth718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,021
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
For some folks here that's all the difference between life and death. ...Include me in that bunch of great folks.

And don't feed them no less than lossless bass. ...Including me of course.
Methinks you misunderstood me. Not saying that's the percentage difference between one or the other. Saying that the LFE comprises that much of the total bandwidth. You don't need more digital information to properly represent that. But, believe what you will.
wth718 is online now  
post #20799 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Quote:
Originally Posted by wth718 View Post
Methinks you misunderstood me. Not saying that's the percentage difference between one or the other. Saying that the LFE comprises that much of the total bandwidth. You don't need more digital information to properly represent that. But, believe what you will.
Ok. That was the amount of info dedicated to the LFE channel.

I don't believe in this case here; I use my ears and body vibrations and overall physical and sensory satisfaction.
And I get more from the bass on Blu-ray with hi-res audio than compressed audio. ...Very physical assessment, nothing to do with believing.
NorthSky is offline  
post #20800 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
You seem to be stuck with 'Master and Commander' ...yes, I know all about it, but I do have another 4,000+ Blus in my arsenal @ home. ...Real discs.

And 'Master ...' sounds great on Blu-ray. ...Abso!ute!y phenomenal with height information and them canons!
{I also have the Sp. Ed. on DVD as well; but when time to revisit it is still the Blu-ray for me...all the way, lossless bass included.}
I gave other examples, but you don't seem to be reading or comprehending my posts very well as you are missing the point!
Fatshaft and KMFDMvsEnya like this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #20801 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,796
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Ok. That was the amount of info dedicated to the LFE channel.

I don't believe in this case here; I use my ears and body vibrations and overall physical and sensory satisfaction.
And I get more from the bass on Blu-ray with hi-res audio than compressed audio. ...Very physical assessment, nothing to do with believing.

If this is your only "proof", there is nothing left to discuss. There have been tons of objective measurements that suggest otherwise over the years between these AVS bass threads, data-bass, etc...... and we have already talked about why you might be hearing a difference as all the variables are not the same if you truly are hearing a difference.

We have also given MANY examples at this point where the lossy DVD DD/DTS track will actually give you stronger "body vibrations and overall physical and sensory assessment" as you put it vs the lossless blu ray track, but this is simply due to being a different mix and or level difference. From your faulty logic however we should conclude from these examples that lossy DD/DTS on DVD is superior for bass vs lossless blu ray which of course is also ridiculous.
|Tch0rT| and KMFDMvsEnya like this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #20802 of 20808 Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
Alright, from now on I will switch to the lossy audio track from all my Blu-rays.

* Did you check the bass from 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' recently, on Blu? ...Not bad, not bad @ all.

Last edited by NorthSky; Yesterday at 07:22 PM.
NorthSky is offline  
post #20803 of 20808 Old Today, 03:12 AM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Got to watch Babadook this weekend. As mentioned before everyone my have a different take on the film. I for one did not care for it that much and well there were a couple of good bass moments that made the wife jump she also thought the movie wasn't all that. There were times in the film where more bass would have made the experience more satisfying and eerie.

I got TMNT in the mail yesterday and hope to spin it tonight for some bass redemption!!

I've also moved up Oblivion to the top of my queue for a viewing so I can give this film the respect it deserves.
Ray77085 likes this.
discone is online now  
post #20804 of 20808 Old Today, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ray77085's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 733
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Got to watch Babadook this weekend. As mentioned before everyone my have a different take on the film. I for one did not care for it that much and well there were a couple of good bass moments that made the wife jump she also thought the movie wasn't all that. There were times in the film where more bass would have made the experience more satisfying and eerie.

I got TMNT in the mail yesterday and hope to spin it tonight for some bass redemption!!

I've also moved up Oblivion to the top of my queue for a viewing so I can give this film the respect it deserves.
Thanks for your take on Babadook. I think I'm going to hold off on renting this one for now. I think you will like the TMNT as far as the bass is concerned, as I have the BD which has the Atmos track. Post up after giving it a spin !! Glad to see you are going to give Oblivion a spin as that movie is just Awesome in my book. It's one of the best out there with all around performances.
I did revisit Interstellar this past weekend and found the film to be much more enjoyable than the first time !! I watched it solo this time and cranked it a lot louder on the main volume on the AVR. No dialog issues and the bass was excellent when there was bass scenes.
I was able to watch Exodus: Gods and Kings andas stated I think the guys/gals may have a better benefit with a power house sealed sub to abstract the deep bass. I did not get much from it with my ported subs. Movie overall was great as I liked it.
discone likes this.

MY 7.4 SET UP. Not Perfect But Let's Just Say I'm Happy !!
Onkyo TX-NR809, (Klipsch-KF-28 mains),( Center KC-25), (Front wide- Primus P363), (AR-Stature S20 side surrounds).2 each Klipsch RW12D subs. HSU VTF-3 MK3 and HSU VTF-3 MK4 subs.
Mitsubishi 3D DLP MODEL73-738, DarbeeVision DVP-5000.Pioneer BDP-62FD.
Ray77085 is offline  
post #20805 of 20808 Unread Today, 05:17 AM
Senior Member
 
AJ72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Melbourne Australia
Posts: 390
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I don't usually post in this thread, but 'Interstellar' made me to.

This is no longer true "Prolific poster" North Sky.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Rotel RSP 1570
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Behringer EP 4000, Crown XLS 5000
AJ72 is offline  
post #20806 of 20808 Unread Today, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
NorthSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Posts: 10,446
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked: 1679
So, the bass chart is the best indicator, the one we should abide by, or when we comment personally about the bass of a flick we watched recently, or in the past, should we mention if it is from Netflix (streaming), a download, from Vudu, from normal cable TV, from VHS, from DVD, from Blu-ray, from any other?

Question:
The bass recorded on DVD and the bass recorded on Blu-ray (encoding), and in general (average, not the exceptions); which is the one with better "definition"?

Is it more important the "loudness" in decibels (constant, and on peaks too), the lowest audio frequencies in Hertz, the fine resolution, all together; yes that would be.
Is there more to it?

* AJ, I'm here to learn, and I'm interested.

One more thing; our room's acoustics (the low frequencies)...how much of an impact does it have on objective measurements and subjective auditory transfer?

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 08:36 AM.
NorthSky is offline  
post #20807 of 20808 Unread Today, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray77085 View Post
Thanks for your take on Babadook. I think I'm going to hold off on renting this one for now. I think you will like the TMNT as far as the bass is concerned, as I have the BD which has the Atmos track. Post up after giving it a spin !! Glad to see you are going to give Oblivion a spin as that movie is just Awesome in my book. It's one of the best out there with all around performances.
I did revisit Interstellar this past weekend and found the film to be much more enjoyable than the first time !! I watched it solo this time and cranked it a lot louder on the main volume on the AVR. No dialog issues and the bass was excellent when there was bass scenes.
I was able to watch Exodus: Gods and Kings andas stated I think the guys/gals may have a better benefit with a power house sealed sub to abstract the deep bass. I did not get much from it with my ported subs. Movie overall was great as I liked it.

Looking forward to the Atmos track on TMNT and will post up! Heard there is a few good bass scenes.

Glad to hear you were able to enjoy Intersteller the second time around. I'm still on the short wait list from Netflix and hope to see it soon. Just like you I may have to kick up the volume a tad more. We watched Exodus this past weekend and thought it was good overall given the liberties they took. Sort of the same they did with Noah.

With your review of Oblivion how could I keep passing it up!! I would have watched it sooner if we hadn't seen it a couple times before I got my sub. Since it's been a year now I figure it's about time to load this into the player and prepare for the feast my eye's an ears are about to enjoy.
discone is online now  
post #20808 of 20808 Unread Today, 10:01 AM
Member
 
MN-Rabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Twin cities area Minnesota
Posts: 143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Alright, from now on I will switch to the lossy audio track from all my Blu-rays.

* Did you check the bass from 'Exodus: Gods and Kings' recently, on Blu? ...Not bad, not bad @ all.
I know very well about that, lost my old Velodyne at the parting of the Red Sea. Oh well it was time for a replacement...very happy with new SVS.
MN-Rabbit is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off