The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 19031 Old 06-06-2011, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Woot, thread sticky!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 19031 Old 06-07-2011, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

The AMC theater in Indianapolis was rocking! It was also a digital presentation.

X-men in our local theater was also loud with a lot LFE. The russian jet flyover sound seemed really realistic, I live near an AFB. I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray release.
post #183 of 19031 Old 06-07-2011, 12:40 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmfox View Post

X-men in our local theater was also loud with a lot LFE. The russian jet flyover sound seemed really realistic, I live near an AFB. I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray release.

That's weird, it seems some locations got good LFE for X-Men First Class, others didn't.
post #184 of 19031 Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks wolfie and leto for charts. I did too comparison with godzilla and another heavy stomper cloverfield and liked the sound of godzilla footsteps more and surround channels were more active there too. Pretty fun movie with great monster action scenes. Can't say same to cloverfield, otherwise than it have still some epic bass scenes. Also watched scott pilgrim ws world and that have some crazy bass scenes, but the movie is horrible teenage love crap.
post #185 of 19031 Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfe man View Post
Thanks wolfie and leto for charts. I did too comparison with godzilla and another heavy stomper cloverfield and liked the sound of godzilla footsteps more and surround channels were more active there too. Pretty fun movie with great monster action scenes. Can't say same to cloverfield, otherwise than it have still some epic bass scenes. Also watched scott pilgrim ws world and that have some crazy bass scenes, but the movie is horrible teenage love crap.
Glad you liked Godzilla. I hear there's supposed to be a new Godzilla coming out next year, I hope it'll be cgi again.

Talking about monster movies, I hear Super 8 which comes out tomorrow at theaters is a monster movie. It's directed by the same guy that did Cloverfield, so maybe it'll have awesome LFE?

I'm finally going to watch Thor tomorrow night, hoping the LFE is as good as you all are saying.
post #186 of 19031 Old 06-09-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetoAtreides82 View Post
It's directed by the same guy that did Cloverfield, so maybe it'll have awesome LFE?
I have very high hopes for it. Anna Behlmer and Andy Nelson are listed in the sound department as re-recording mixers. They both worked on Cloverfield
post #187 of 19031 Old 06-10-2011, 02:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Battle: Los Angeles this Tuesday this movie has LFE written all over it. Review is up on Hi Def Digest looks promising.
post #188 of 19031 Old 06-10-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked: 593
Quote:

It's directed by the same guy that did Cloverfield, so maybe it'll have awesome LFE?

Just for clarification...

Matt Reeves directed Cloverfield and Let Me In.

JJ Abrams directed Mission Impossible 3, Start Trek and Super 8. He produced Cloverfield.
post #189 of 19031 Old 06-11-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Yay! Glad to see this one back in action.
post #190 of 19031 Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How to understand waterfall diagrams. I noticed red spots in the low frequency band. What is meant by these colors? Not sure what does it mean to go from top to bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Wolf View Post

Titan A.E. - DVD, DTS

First movie to be waterfalled by yours truly using the output of my new Behringer UCA222. Note the lack of 60Hz hum

These charts are done with the DTS audio ripped off the DVD and split into WAV files - LFE only.

Guys... before you watch this movie, for the love of all that's holy, turn on your subsonic filters. I got three scenes for you. First, Earth blowing up. Second, navigating the ice field. Third, destroying the Drej and creating New Earth. I won't post them all in image form, just the juicier ones. Not that they aren't all juicy... I didn't do 15 of these on this title because of a lack of overwhelming LFE

If this ain't a five star, I don't know what is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...lls/titan1.jpg

post #191 of 19031 Old 06-11-2011, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
In laymen's terms, just look at the color chart like you would a weather radar. Red means louder (db) bass just like reds indicated stronger storms.
post #192 of 19031 Old 06-12-2011, 01:59 AM

Liked: 21
A point of clarification is needed in post#1:

It lists these as 5-star:
The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring
The Lord of the Rings - The Return of the King

From my understanding, it's only the extended editions that are 5-star. The versions that are currently out on Blu-ray are NOT the extended editions and therefore don't have the 5-star bass. But the extended versions are coming out June 28, 2011.

post #193 of 19031 Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukumar View Post

How to understand waterfall diagrams. I noticed red spots in the low frequency band. What is meant by these colors? Not sure what does it mean to go from top to bottom.

That waterfall is missing the color scale, so you really can't tell anything from it. Here's one with the color scale, this one is from the Godzilla blu-ray:

At the left you see the color scale, my scale has the blacks at -70db to -58db, blues at -56db to -50db, light blue at -46db to -48db, greens at -32db to -44db, yellow from -28db to -30db, and finally red from 0db to -26db.

With this scale you'd want to see reds in the chart but you also want some yellows and greens as this range (0db to -44db) will give you a nice dynamic LFE experience. A dynamic LFE experience is one in which loud scenes sound/feel loud and scenes that shouldn't be as loud aren't. A huge spaceship crashing into a planet should be very loud, while a human's footstep should obviously be less loud.

If the chart were filled with greens and barely any yellow or reds, that movie would be considered poor for LFE and shouldn't be rated higher than 2 stars. As you can see from my chart it has plenty of reds, yellow, and greens, but unfortunately it barely has any LFE below 35hz. That's not a good thing because LFE below 35hz increases the LFE experience. Even though most humans can't hear below 20hz, you can most definitely feel the pressure it produces.

Earthquakes for example produce sound below 20hz, which is why most people feel an earthquake before they can hear it.

Because the movie lacks LFE below 35hz it should get a rating penalty of at least 1 star. What could have easily been a 4, maybe 4.5 star bass movie is pushed down to 3, maybe 3.5 stars.

As for going from top to bottom, things near the top of the chart are more recent than things near the bottom of the chart. The chart I posted has events that happened a minute before the events at the top. Likewise the events at the middle happened around 30 seconds before the top events.

To get a better understanding you can download Speclab here:
http://dl4yhf.ssl7.com/speclab/install_speclab.zip

After you install it, run it and play an mp3. If you're interested in helping us analyse movies for LFE, try these settings for a start:
croseiv's settings part 1
croiseiv's settings part 2
croiseiv's settings part 3

Quote:

I'm finally going to watch Thor tomorrow night, hoping the LFE is as good as you all are saying.

Watched it last night, definite 5 star LFE There was also a scene after the credits, I think it gives an idea of who the villan, or at least one of the villans, will be in the Avengers movie.
post #194 of 19031 Old 06-12-2011, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That waterfall is missing the color scale, so you really can't tell anything from it.

This one from Unbreakable isn't... the color scale hasn't changed between the two:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...breakable1.jpg
post #195 of 19031 Old 06-12-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:

This one from Unbreakable isn't... the color scale hasn't changed between the two:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...breakable1.jpg

True, just pointing out to Sukumar the importance of the color scale.
That waterfall is interesting, it's very rare to see so much LFE focused on the 15hz to 26hz range. If you don't have subs that go that low, and then you go see the movie at a friend's place with subs that can, the experience would be completely different.
post #196 of 19031 Old 06-12-2011, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes indeed. I didn't even know it was there... the last time I'd watched Unbreakable was well before I had anything like a decent subwoofer.
post #197 of 19031 Old 06-12-2011, 10:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
True, just pointing out to Sukumar the importance of the color scale.
That waterfall is interesting, it's very rare to see so much LFE focused on the 15hz to 26hz range. If you don't have subs that go that low, and then you go see the movie at a friend's place with subs that can, the experience would be completely different.
Thanks a lot for providing detailed explanation. I installed tool and playing with it and it is very interesting.

I had bought Paradigm Studio 100 speakers. I am in the process buying either Paradigm Sub 12 or 15. I am creating home theater as hobby;-). I will explore the tool an will ask for any help.
post #198 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 04:56 PM

Liked: 10
Bought a new HT speakers system, a SVS 5.1 with a PC12-NSD and I stumble across this thread for bass heavy movies. Just want to thank the OP for providing such a good list.

WOTW and Cloverfield kick ass!

Keep up the good work.

PS Saw Thor in Theater, a potential 5-star when it comes out on blu ray.
post #199 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am both shocked and hurt that Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World is not in the 4-5 star range even more so that it is not on the list. This is one of the most impressive movies for Bass that I have seen and owned.
So yeah, please add it to the list. I give it a 4.5 start with ease.
post #200 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svendsen View Post

How about unstoppable (2010) (I watched it last night). I know it doesn't have an insane amount of bass like Tron or WOTW, but it does mak it feel like a train is coming right through your livingroom

I've seen some waterfall graphs for it - and I know it isn't heavy below 20 Hz - but how about a 3.5 star verdict?

I think the Unstoppable soundtrack uses LFE about as effectively as any I've ever heard. In earlier years I spent a lot of time in rail yards and on and around locomotive engines, and Unstoppable sounded like what I had heard then, to the life. Unstoppable is high on my list of all time best soundtracks.
post #201 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

I am both shocked and hurt that Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World is not in the 4-5 star range even more so that it is not on the list. This is one of the most impressive movies for Bass that I have seen and owned.
So yeah, please add it to the list. I give it a 4.5 start with ease.

I hate that movie, but yeah it sure have great bass...will add it to the list.

Btw, we have new 5 star bass movie tomorrow.
post #202 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hate that movie, but yeah it sure have great bass...will add it to the list.

Btw, we have new 5 star bass movie tomorrow.

I agree that Scott Pilgrim was silly but I kind of liked it and it does, indeed, have GREAT LFE.

I assume the release for tomorrow you are talking about is Battle: Los Angeles. I didn't see it in the theater but have heard that it has a wonderful soundtrack. Despite my reservations about the quality of the film dramatically, I have reserved the BD at my neighborhood Blockbuster for tomorrow.
post #203 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I agree that Scott Pilgrim was silly but I kind of liked it and it does, indeed, have GREAT LFE.

I assume the release for tomorrow you are talking about is Battle: Los Angeles. I didn't see it in the theater but have heard that it has a wonderful soundtrack. Despite my reservations about the quality of the film dramatically, I have reserved the BD at my neighborhood Blockbuster for tomorrow.

Blockbuster still exists?
post #204 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post

Blockbuster still exists?

Dish recently bought Blockbuster's assets and installed a new management team. They then had to make new deals with the studios for discs. It took a while but BB is now back on an even keel and providing better customer service than at any time in recent memory. Netflix still does better at getting out new discs to replace returned ones but their policy is not to buy newly released BD editions of classic old films, which means you can't get any of the newly released Criterion BDs from them. Thus, these days BB carries many BDs that NF doesn't have. My solution was to dump NF, return to BB and hope that BB survived. So far, at least, the change back to BB has been good for me.
post #205 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I assume the release for tomorrow you are talking about is Battle: Los Angeles.

Yup, just tons of deep subsonic stuff... more than tron legacy(though maybe not so hot), but plenty with great low alien gun sounds and explosions kick hard too(it's weird that some explosion don't have much any bass), but there is many great scenes. There is also one big bass scene in the end that is spectacular and also surround usage is great in this film.
post #206 of 19031 Old 06-13-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the Unstoppable soundtrack uses LFE about as effectively as any I've ever heard.

It's at least a 4.5 star in my opinion, lacking only in extension. Indeed, The Haunting doesn't go all that low either, and it's a fiver. I need to check this one out again soon.

Battle LA... might be skipping that one. Not decided yet. Heard it's a terrible movie, but then again I have two 16Hz tapped horns now. Might make up for it
post #207 of 19031 Old 06-14-2011, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yup, just tons of deep subsonic stuff... more than tron legacy(though maybe not so hot), but plenty with great low alien gun sounds and explosions kick hard too(it's weird that some explosion don't have much any bass), but there is many great scenes. There is also one big bass scene in the end that is spectacular and also surround usage is great in this film.

I can hardly wait to see Battle: LA. I have heard that it is dumb but I don't mind dumb films if they are loud and exciting and have great production values, including a terrific soundtrack with first class LFE.

Quote:

It's at least a 4.5 star in my opinion, lacking only in extension. Indeed, The Haunting doesn't go all that low either, and it's a fiver. I need to check this one out again soon.

I get at least 95 percent of the BDs I see under a BB or NF subscription, depending on whom I am signed up with at the time. For that reason, I am very, very selective about which BD movies I buy. I think I am going to buy Unstoppable, though, because of its wonderful audio.
post #208 of 19031 Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I can hardly wait to see Battle: LA. I have heard that it is dumb but I don't mind dumb films if they are loud and exciting and have great production values, including a terrific soundtrack with first class LFE.

I get at least 95 percent of the BDs I see under a BB or NF subscription, depending on whom I am signed up with at the time. For that reason, I am very, very selective about which BD movies I buy. I think I am going to buy Unstoppable, though, because of its wonderful audio.

I actually recently purchased Unstopable as whim without watching it instead of seeing a movie at the theater. I am very pleased with this spontaneous buy.
Great sound and a good movie to boot.
post #209 of 19031 Old 06-14-2011, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

Same here! Very much looking forward to the waterfall plots for B:LA
post #210 of 19031 Old 06-14-2011, 10:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
Quote:

Battle LA... might be skipping that one. Not decided yet. Heard it's a terrible movie, but then again I have two 16Hz tapped horns now. Might make up for it

That's all the reason you need, Wolf.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page