The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 703 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4965Likes

Old 05-14-2015, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Watched the signal a while back. Did not like it at all. For 5 stars bass and a decent movie, try Ragnarok if you don't mind subtitles.
Agreed, pretty decent flick, while a little conventional its execution -- good LF content. Of course if you can tolerate subtitles, I reiterate my recommendation of the excellent THE ADMIRAL ROARING CURRENTS (-- doesn't absolutely require the subtitles as it is also presented in English translation, but you don't want to listen to that version -- more distracting than the subtitles).

To expand your awareness of what is being accomplished in international cinema, as well as completely engage you in an epic seafaring saga of actual historic significance, the flick is a prolonged bassgasmic revelry -- a must-have in every LF aficionado's drool-over pantheon. Far surpassing MASTER AND COMMANDER for sustained cannon fire at sea, you get fleets of colliding ships, pounding waves, a very robust and resolute score, exquisite historical costuming replete with brightly colored cloisonné body armor, samurai swords, archers...you get the picture, or I should say: get this picture!

Though you know there is CGI and sometimes the ship movement is depicted in a way that allows you to know they would be more ponderous in actual open-ocean negotiation, for the most part this plays as almost entirely practical. The staging of the close-quarters ship assaults is amazing -- multiple actors must have been meticulously choreographed to all appear fighting vigorously at once. An awesome feat of filmmaking.

Also, you just want some remarkable pounding bass blasts: THE PURGE ANARCHY doesn't seem to have gotten much attention. Original PURGE no slouch either, where it counts...
Toe, skip61 and mo949 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 3192
Knowing

very good LFE track...and the movie

not a horror flick but that was the most stressed I have been watching a movie in a while ( I am easily freaked out)
good movie the sound overall was incredible...very very well done

JVC RS400 4K PJ | Denon x7200WA 7.2.4 ATMOS/DTS-X |Emotiva XPA-200 gen2 | DIY 1099's LCR| (4) VOLT 6 sidesurrounds/Back Surrounds | (4) VOLT 6 ATMOS | (2) DIY SI-HT18 sealed (2) DIY SI18 DS4 sealed| (2) inuke6000dp | Samsung K8500 4k UHD BDP | 16x11x7.5 sealed HT SadieMax theater...my first DIY build and ongoing projects
Old 05-14-2015, 04:56 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 1587
^^^^^^Nice! I have a copy on the way.
Brian Fineberg likes this.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Well now I'm looking for The Admiral!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
Well now I'm looking for The Admiral!
I actually bought blind on a hunch, at about half the price it is selling for now, but will likely come back down again just as suddenly. I put everything I buy back in my cart to follow pricing trends, so will check back in when it drops. Don't know if it is commonly available to rent....
mo949 likes this.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Knowing

not a horror flick but that was the most stressed I have been watching a movie in a while ( I am easily freaked out)
So glad you enjoyed that one! I guess the main reason this did not really stand out in memory from having seen it before, is that my system has never sounded this good. Probably saw it on DVD. So I had this pile of discount purchases, and watched all the rest, even the tedious $3 SHUTTER, before KNOWING. Then this gem! -- almost forgot Cage had been in some good movies before whatever happened happened -- he was even in the remarkably brilliant ADAPTATION!

For whatever odd reason while I was watching KNOWING I thought I'd like to check out DARK CITY next -- not sure why that crept into my head -- not really much in common between the two. I had made note that the director's name sounded familiar, but dismissed it. Maybe his name stirred something subconscious as Proyas directed both -- I found this out from a Google search later.

Possibly the film acted to awaken something in my subterranean psyche which then facilitated that connection (quite removed from conscious thought) -- both films are actually kind of spooky with a central mystery the characters are trying solve, which not incidentally involves the fate of all humankind...so onto DARK CITY this weekend....
Old 05-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
I actually bought blind on a hunch, at about half the price it is selling for now, but will likely come back down again just as suddenly. I put everything I buy back in my cart to follow pricing trends, so will check back in when it drops. Don't know if it is commonly available to rent....

you can also put a watch on anything amazon carries at camelcamelcamel.com which also will show the price history for the previous 12 months
Old 05-14-2015, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Nice to know! Have to admit that I ventured at least a few things that then dropped precipitously in price -- if I had been more mindful of the trends earlier on, I'd have more money now for more beautiful beautiful blus! Plus, it just makes me all warm and aglow and very favorably predisposed to enjoy whatever the presentation holds in store, when the paying wasn't that painful (--hey, I've paid over $100 for certain laser discs!...) Occasionally you hit paydirt with some really great overlooked, or non-trending and/or older gems....
Old 05-14-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew101 View Post
you can also put a watch on anything amazon carries at camelcamelcamel.com which also will show the price history for the previous 12 months
blu-ray.com also tracks/charts prices for you.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

"If it works the first time, it's not high end." ~ Harry Pierson
Old 05-14-2015, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Cool! I got my copy here and am planning a double feature with WWZ 3D Fri night.
That'll be a great double header. I watched WWZ3D for the first time a couple months ago. A great ride, but that is no relaxed, kick back, gellin like Magellan kind of movie. It is a massive serving of anxiety, with a side order of nervous, for two full hours, and well done at that. Multiple adult beverages are recommended to help manage zombie-induced stress spikes.
Toe likes this.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 3356
Arrow 'World War Z' - 3D Blu-ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
That'll be a great double header. I watched WWZ3D for the first time a couple months ago. A great ride, but that is no relaxed, kick back, gellin like Magellan kind of movie. It is a massive serving of anxiety, with a side order of nervous, for two full hours, and well done at that. Multiple adult beverages are recommended to help manage zombie-induced stress spikes.
Not the best "3D effect" movie around...quality 3D picture wise. IMHO ...But the bass is decent, and the music score too.
...And those zombies are real nasty.

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
Old 05-14-2015, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a quick question about the movie The Admiral: Roaring Currents. Does this movie have the Korean: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1?

On bluray.com, they listed this movie with the
Korean: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ad...lu-ray/124294/

But when I looked at ebay listing, the back of the slip cover for this movie just got the Dolby Digital 5.1:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Admiral-...item58c4e3f35d

Click on the back of the slip cover image so you can see the audio track for this movie. That is why I am confused about the audio track for this movie.

Last edited by mantaraydesign; 05-14-2015 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I have high hopes for Chappie, made by the same guy who gave you Elysium and District 9, both of which rock all around in the sound/bass department!
Old 05-14-2015, 03:55 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Those zombies are crazy! Watched in 2d when it first hit, so I am curious to check out the 3d.
mogrub likes this.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantaraydesign View Post
I have a quick question about the movie The Admiral: Roaring Currents. Does this movie have the Korean: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1?

On bluray.com, they listed this movie with the Korean: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ad...lu-ray/124294/

But when I looked at ebay listing, the back of the slip cover for this movie just got the Dolby Digital 5.1:

Click on the back of the slip cover image so you can see the audio track for this movie. That is why I am confused about the audio track for this movie.
Yes DTS MASTER AUDIO -- I had forgotten this threw me too when I got it. Of course I just assumed it had lossless, and not even sure why I checked it out more closely when I got it -- guess I must have been wondering about the English dubbing, or what combination of language with what resolution was featured -- then I saw what you saw and my heart dropped.

I instantly thought I was going to have to send it back, but even though I needed to step out the door immediately, it was enough of a concern to prompt me to run into my theater space and put it on to see what came up. If I'm not mistaken, I think both the English dub, but definitely the Korean, are DTS MASTER AUDIO -- I'll have to post back whether 5.1 or 7.1 when I get home -- more likely the 5.1.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes DTS MASTER AUDIO -- I had forgotten this threw me too when I got it. Of course I just assumed it had lossless, and not even sure why I checked it out more closely when I got it -- guess I must have been wondering about the English dubbing, or what combination of language with what resolution was featured -- then I saw what you saw and my heart dropped.

I instantly thought I was going to have to send it back, but even though I needed to step out the door immediately, it was enough of a concern to prompt me to run into my theater space and put it on to see what came up. If I'm not mistaken, I think both the English dub, but definitely the Korean, are DTS MASTER AUDIO -- I'll have to post back whether 5.1 or 7.1 when I get home -- more likely the 5.1.
Good thing it is in DTS MASTER AUDIO because I would not buy the movie if it is in DOLBY DIGITAL.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
On bluray.com, they listed this movie with the
Korean: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1:http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Ad...lu-ray/124294/

There seem to be different versions; or some audio conflicts?

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/Th...y-review.shtml
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1795...gcurrents.html

* Maybe some movie reviewers they simply don't review them, or that they received inferior sounding Blu-ray movies to review?

~ Bob
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 05-14-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
There seem to be different versions; or some audio conflicts?

www.bigpicturebigsound.com/The-Admiral-Roaring-Currents-Blu-ray-review.shtml
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1795...gcurrents.html

* Maybe some movie reviewers they simply don't review them, or that they received inferior sounding Blu-ray movies to review?
Since Emaych already got the movie, maybe he can look into it for us.

Maybe the reviewer from bigpicturebigsound.com meant DTS MASTER AUDIO instead of DOLBY DIGITAL.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Since Emaych already got the movie, maybe he can look into it for us.

Maybe the reviewer from bigpicturebigsound.com meant DTS MASTER AUDIO instead of DOLBY DIGITAL.
I don't know what he meant (I'm not in his head), but what I do know is what he wrote in his review.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
Old 05-14-2015, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't know what he meant (I'm not in his head), but what I do know is what he wrote in his review.
Wow. I just clicked that review link. Hard to believe that guy would publish without having checked INFO on his processor and/or Blu-ray player. He was no doubt listening to DTS MASTER AUDIO, because that is what it is, but the packaging is indeed mislabeled.

I'm glad I checked on my system before sending it back (which is exactly what I thought I was going to have to do when I read the erroneous description), because it is a lushly rewarding audio experience -- Ha! looks like the reviewer agrees even his "lossy" track was pretty good (...but there would be a reason for that....)
Old 05-14-2015, 09:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Wow. I just clicked that review link. Hard to believe that guy would publish without having checked INFO on his processor and/or Blu-ray player. He was no doubt listening to DTS MASTER AUDIO, because that is what it is, but the packaging is indeed mislabeled.

I'm glad I checked on my system before sending it back (which is exactly what I thought I was going to have to do when I read the erroneous description), because it is a lushly rewarding audio experience -- Ha! looks like the reviewer agrees even his "lossy" track was pretty good (...but there would be a reason for that....)
Maybe his review was mainly based on what it says on the back cover? ...I wouldn't be surprised if you'd ask me.

By the way, I do have few Blu-ray movie titles that says dts 5.1 on the back cover, but in fact they are encoded in DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround.
...They are mainly from second-hand movie studios, and second-hand movie distributors.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
Old 05-15-2015, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I have high hopes for Chappie, made by the same guy who gave you Elysium and District 9, both of which rock all around in the sound/bass department!
Lets hope!

I have Elysium coming for this weekends viewing and looking forward to the sound as I've read it's good. How was the audio and bass for District 9? For I have not seen many folks talk about that one and did not see it on the list.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe his review was mainly based on what it says on the back cover? ...I wouldn't be surprised if you'd ask me.

By the way, I do have few Blu-ray movie titles that says dts 5.1 on the back cover, but in fact they are encoded in DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround.
...They are mainly from second-hand movie studios, and second-hand movie distributors.
Well, I'm pretty certain the reviewer watched (and listened) to the movie on blu. What is embarrassing for him though, is that he apparently relied on the erroneous label to inform him of what he heard. Furthermore, it seems obvious enough from his phrasing that he was withholding his highest appraisal of what he heard, based on thinking it was lossy, not the actual listening experience. As a reviewer, you want to avoid that kind of exposure. He was right about the dub track however (also DTS MA, btw) -- sounds canned and does not match ambience depicted.

As to the erroneous label itself, maybe that does lend itself to thinking this might be a substandard release, second-tier movie experience. Nothing further from the truth -- THE ADMIRAL is high-form moviemaking at the very pinnacle of what can be technically achieved in the modern era -- so refined, in fact, that the technology virtually disappears -- you can't even say that about the HOBBIT films, which are replete with obvious CGI.

So the packaging is mislabeled. Movie is killer -- highest standards. And props to the HIDEFDIGEST guy -- he got this one right -- you decide what to think of the other reviewer when and if you see this flick (or based on his putting himself out there like he did, independent of your movie experience....)

Last edited by Emaych; 05-15-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Watched Noah last night. Was actually surprised at the bass in this movie. Did not expect anything from it. Thought it had good bass through the whole movie. Can't wait for the next avengers on blue ray. Movie has a ton of potential.

Sub build http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...et-r-done.html
Center - JBL LC2
Mains - JBL L820
Surrounds - JBL L820
Sub - Dual UXL'18 enclosures,iNuke6000dsp
Old 05-15-2015, 08:00 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Enter the Dangerous Mind has a ton of LFE and some of it hit pretty low.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Enter the Dangerous Mind has a ton of LFE and some of it hit pretty low.
Never heard of this - thanks for heads up - will pick it up for spin
Toe likes this.

15400 Watts of Seaton Power -Quad SubMersived
Old 05-15-2015, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
you guys need to check out Extraterrestrial on Netflix tons of bass. I thought my house was going to collapse LOL
Old 05-15-2015, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
Knowing

This ^^^^

Bought it for $4.99 hoping for it to be good, but WOW!!! The dual XS-30 PSA Subs did their job, BIG TIME!!
Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 44
So, does any one know what are the best BASS movies that are available for streaming on netflix?

Vizio M501d-A2R(Calibrated), LG BD-330, Pioneer VSX-524-K, Custom DIY LCR Mains, DIY Sub ( Kicker 10c124, 2.25 ft3, 19 hz tune, powered by xm-sd46x(using only rear channel in bridge mode, 150watts), powered by 400w atx power supply.) Work in progress.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Lets hope!

I have Elysium coming for this weekends viewing and looking forward to the sound as I've read it's good. How was the audio and bass for District 9? For I have not seen many folks talk about that one and did not see it on the list.
District 9 is excellent. everything sounds right. I enjoyed the story a bit more than Elysium, but I like African history so it may be my bias.
mjaudio and discone like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray , Amazing Spiderman Ultimate Edition , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Back To The Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy Digital Copy Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Battleship , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , Bolt Blu Ray , Braveheart Blu Ray , Captain America The First Avenger Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Casino Royale Blu Ray , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Cloverfield Blu Ray , Conan The Barbarian Blu Ray , Daredevil Directors Cut Blu Ray , Death Race 3 Inferno Blu Ray , Devil Blu Ray Widescreen , Disneys Wall E Blu Ray , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Fantastic 4 Rise Of The Silver Surfer , Fast Five Blu Ray , Finding Nemo , Flight Of The Phoenix Blu Ray , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Hanna Blu Ray , Harry Potter The Order Of The Phoenix Playstation3 Game Ea , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Hitman Digital Copy Blu Ray , Hot Fuzz 2 Disc Special Edition Region 2 Dvd , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Hurt Locker Blu Ray , Immortals Blu Ray , Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Iron Man 2 Single Disc Edition Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , Kung Fu Panda 2 Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Last Stand Blu Ray , Live Free Or Die Hard Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Marvels The Avengers , Matrix , Max Payne Unrated Edition Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End , Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Pirates Of The Caribbean Three Movie Set Curse Of The Black Pearl Dead Mans Chest At Worlds End Blu , Prince Of Persia The Sands Of Time Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Rambo Blu Ray , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Resident Evil Afterlife Blu Ray , Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu Ray , Resident Evil Retribution 3d Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Sherlock Holmes Blu Ray , Skyfall Blu Ray , Skyline Blu Ray , Star Trek Blu Ray , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Star Wars , Subwoofers , Sucker Punch Two Disc Extended Edition Blu Ray , Super 8 Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Svs Pb2000 , Terminator Salvation Two Disc Directors Cut Blu Ray , The Cabin In The Woods , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Hunger Games Blu Ray Digital Copy , The Incredible Hulk Blu Ray , The Incredibles Four Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , The Last Airbender Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , The Pacific Blu Ray , The Raid Redemption , The Ultimate Matrix Collection Blu Ray , The Worlds End Blu Ray Dvd Digital Hd With Ultraviolet , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Total Recall , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray , Triangle Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , U 571 Blu Ray , Underworld Awakening Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray 3d , Unstoppable Blu Ray Digital Copy , Valkyrie Blu Ray , War Of The Worlds Blu Ray , Windtalkers Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , X Men Origins Wolverine Two Disc Ultimate Edition Blu Ray , X Men Origins Wolverine Uncaged Edition , X Men The Last Stand Blu Ray , Xxx , Zombieland Blu Ray