The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 705 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #21121 of 21144 Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 281
^^ it is because it has the loudest lowest sound ever made at the intro. The rest of the movie has good but not great bass. I love the movie.
mo949 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21122 of 21144 Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1407 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ it is because it has the loudest lowest sound ever made at the intro. The rest of the movie has good but not great bass. I love the movie.
Yeah, I like the intro. The movie's not terrible either, just wasn't impressed by the bass except for the beginning. Thanks..
post #21123 of 21144 Old Yesterday, 07:20 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 794
I've grown to hate that intro. It is great for demo/testing purposes, but I don't like it from an execution standpoint in relation to the rest of the bass in the film. I would also agree that as a front to back LFE film EoT is good, not great. No doubt in my mind that if that ridiculous and out of place intro did not exist, this bass track would not be talked about anywhere near as much as it has been!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #21124 of 21144 Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Cool! Thanks for the report as I have this movie and Halo Nightfall (I think is the name?) here from Netflix right now. The last half hour or so of the first Halo movie was a great bass ride so I am hoping for some good stuff from this one.
Please report your findings on HALO NIGHTFALL -- was curious myself for exactly that same reason -- the previous installment.

Also the trailer for MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT, which was on EVERLY and in glorious DD 5.1, absolutely pummeled with LF tremors -- so been curious about that one as well, though it is most certainly the case that those enticing teasers can turn out to be quite misleading as to movie content itself. MONSTERS about ready for release, but if someone rents that, I need to know what the actual damage factor might be....be warned that almost all sources seem to indicate the movie is hideous in every other regard (...looked great to me, but there is that trailer factor again...)
Toe and audiofan1 like this.
post #21125 of 21144 Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Please report your findings on HALO NIGHTFALL -- was curious myself for exactly that same reason -- the previous installment.

Also the trailer for MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT, which was on EVERLY and in glorious DD 5.1, absolutely pummeled with LF tremors -- so been curious about that one as well, though it is most certainly the case that those enticing teasers can turn out to be quite misleading as to movie content itself. MONSTERS about ready for release, but if someone rents that, I need to know what the actual damage factor might be....be warned that almost all sources seem to indicate the movie is hideous in every other regard (...looked great to me, but there is that trailer factor again...)

Yup! as soon as Everly was over I put Monsters Dark Continent in the Que at the top but just may blind buy it
discone likes this.
post #21126 of 21144 Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I've grown to hate that intro. It is great for demo/testing purposes, but I don't like it from an execution standpoint in relation to the rest of the bass in the film. I would also agree that as a front to back LFE film EoT is good, not great. No doubt in my mind that if that ridiculous and out of place intro did not exist, this bass track would not be talked about anywhere near as much as it has been!

Yeah! its grossly misplaced and lends nothing to the movie even though the movie itself is one of my new all time fav's.
Toe likes this.
post #21127 of 21144 Old Today, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:

Nightfall for me suck.. no lfe, no story..
post #21128 of 21144 Old Today, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Alrighty then -- thanks for taking one for the team on that one -- I'll consider that to be the very clear and direct definitive appraisal....
post #21129 of 21144 Old Today, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Yup! as soon as Everly was over I put Monsters Dark Continent in the Que at the top but just may blind buy it
Yeah, might blind buy myself -- shows about $16 for pre-order. The trailer planted such a declarative LF banner, it would really be one of the more notable total betrayals if the flick didn't live up to it...but of course it has been known to happen. Hey, if I can get you to jump in first, maybe you'll end up saving me some money, or maybe I'll be the one that plunges -- comes out in a few weeks I think -- I'll keep you posted...
audiofan1 likes this.
post #21130 of 21144 Old Today, 04:40 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed View Post
Bummer! Had a forum friend tell me the bass was good which is why I rented. Really curious to see it now and see what I think.

post #21131 of 21144 Old Today, 05:11 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
How does EofT get on there at a top rating?...mostly based on the beginning sequence? Maybe I'll have to watch again....didn't think of it as a good bass movie in an overall sense....

I never watch that intro it's too gratuitous. Take the intro out and IMO this film is a great bass flick. The bass gives a constant sense of doom conveying the reality of the situation being faced by the characters. Throw in a presentation that's as clean as a whistle with a few heavy hitting sequences and it's a pretty complete package. I know you don't agree with this Toe. . I give it five stars all day long and it was my equal favourite bass movie from last year. As I've said before run it a bit hotter than normal to bring out the goodness that's there. It was voted second by a whisker on data bass for LFE film of the year (behind CATWS) so it must have something pretty special and it's a good movie to boot.

Yes I am an EOT fanboy!
Elihawk likes this.

Klipsch: KLF-30, KLF C-7, KG 5.5, KG 4.2 Power&Preamp: Elektra Theatron, Cary Cinema 11a
Subs: Dual Passive JTR 2400 Captivators
Power Amps: Proel HPK-6000, Crown XLS 5000
Viewing: Sony Bravia 850b 70"
post #21132 of 21144 Old Today, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

Also the trailer for MONSTERS: DARK CONTINENT,
RENT! RENT! RENT!

Neither one has any 'good bass' to speak of, there's a couple ok moments in Halo and Monsters: DC is just an overall terrible movie
post #21133 of 21144 Old Today, 06:02 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Well damn! I might just skip Halo altogether as I don't have a ton of movie time these days. I'm guessing the movie will be terrible going off the first, so if the bass isn't anything great I might just stick it back in the mailbox.

No worries AJ72! I certainly respect your opinion and there is a subjective element to what a great bass track is for a variety of reasons.

post #21134 of 21144 Old Today, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
RENT! RENT! RENT!

Monsters: DC is just an overall terrible movie
That's a shame there is no good bass for the trailer did light up the room a bit, I had hope's.

As for a terrible movie I also had hope's it would be better then the first one. When I added it to my Netflix queue after seeing the preview on the Everly disc it also brought up the first one and I only rated it two stars.
post #21135 of 21144 Old Today, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbpete View Post
RENT! RENT! RENT!

Neither one has any 'good bass' to speak of, there's a couple ok moments in Halo and Monsters: DC is just an overall terrible movie
Well dang it! It kills me that the marketing folks know full well the value of presenting a movie with massive awesome LF bombast in the trailer, but can't seem to carry that concept through to the movie. They obviously know what sells, why not just give us the movie we want? Thanks for the info wpbpete -- I'm assuming you had some way of seeing the MONSTERS blu before the release date? I was seriously favoring the blind buy, but guess you saved me...what a burn!
post #21136 of 21144 Old Today, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Sorry to burst bubbles

Halo was ok... ymmv,
giant monsters that sound like breaking dishes suk!!
post #21137 of 21144 Old Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well dang it! It kills me that the marketing folks know full well the value of presenting a movie with massive awesome LF bombast in the trailer, but can't seem to carry that concept through to the movie. They obviously know what sells, why not just give us the movie we want? Thanks for the info wpbpete -- I'm assuming you had some way of seeing the MONSTERS blu before the release date? I was seriously favoring the blind buy, but guess you saved me...what a burn!
Was that a disc he had or streaming? I'm going to at the very least give it a rental, as its the same production company that's been belting out some pretty decent bass tracks
post #21138 of 21144 Old Today, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
Was that a disc he had or streaming? I'm going to at the very least give it a rental, as its the same production company that's been belting out some pretty decent bass tracks
Well, good question -- you've opened a window of hope there -- I never stream, and nothing I've ever seen or heard makes me think that discs are not the way to go. Must be talking about the blu for definitive declarations! -- even then, people can disagree about satisfaction factor with LFE -- some wide disparity with EXODUS, I note.

But when it is said there is -zero- LF content, that tends to suggest to me it must be pretty light in that regard. Hopefully it would be too unthinkable for the filmmakers in this case to so emphatically represent the flick as LF monster, but absolutely betray and abandon that aspiration with the actual commodity -- I guess we await clarification one way or another...
audiofan1 likes this.
post #21139 of 21144 Old Today, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

I said I would check back in: ADMIRAL: ROARING CURRENTS back at $12.99 on AMAZON.
Toe likes this.
post #21140 of 21144 Old Today, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
FilmMixer has previously mentioned that the folks mixing the trailer are oftentimes NOT the folks who mixed the soundtrack. Apparently, depending on personal viewpoints, the trailer audio mixers are either a) heavy-handed, or b) know what sells/catches attention.

Max
post #21141 of 21144 Old Today, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
I agree with you about the intro… At first it was intriguing but after experiencing it a couple of times it lost it's appeal. The movie (IMO) is a very good bass movie but not incredible. The movie itself on the other hand I find to be a lot of fun and great to watch.
Toe likes this.
post #21142 of 21144 Old Today, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post
FilmMixer has previously mentioned that the folks mixing the trailer are oftentimes NOT the folks who mixed the soundtrack. Apparently, depending on personal viewpoints, the trailer audio mixers are either a) heavy-handed, or b) know what sells/catches attention.

Max
Thanks for that Max. If I'm not mistaken, FilmMixer did THE PURGE: ANARCHY, so has my utmost respect for what he can offer on this subject. I'm sure they are not the same folks -- two different objectives, that of producing a track consistent with a Director's vision, versus generating a basso-bombasto, flamboyantly senses-titillating, attention-grabbing short intended to market that thing.

Where my incredulity rises is in the fact that the studios demonstrate they know what entices an audience's interest, then allow that misrepresentation to stand for the film that got made, which may contain none of that excitement. Why not just ensure the public gets the goods with commodity being marketed? Films are always an interplay between "art" and commerce -- so if the director's vision seems to require enhancement by the lay-it-to-waste bass-ty boys brought in for the trailer, send 'em in for the flick as well!

...Anyway, remains to be seen if MONSTERS: DC contains anything of the promise of the trailer, but possibly by all accounts, only about 3 minutes of film was any good anyway...

Last edited by Emaych; Today at 06:47 PM.
post #21143 of 21144 Unread Today, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 364
EoT is a very good movie, IMHO, and has way above average bass. IMHO, EoT kicks Interstellar in the proverbial ass...Interstellar does have better bass, however! Everyone likes movies for different reasons. And I think the intro of EoT really sets the tone that this movie will be fast and furious.

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
post #21144 of 21144 Unread Today, 08:53 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Ended up watching Nightfall. The bass had it's moments, but nothing super deep. The bass moments were spread out more evenly vs the first film. The first film was more impressive for bass due to how packed it was in that last 30 minutes plus it hit a bit deeper in the first as I remember. Both movies were horrible IMO.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page