The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 708 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #21211 of 21234 Old 05-27-2015, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Emaych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
Second person I've seen comment about the Netflix version of Raganarok being average. For me it (Bluray) had one of the hardest hitting bass scenes I can remember. Very impressive.
Just reviewed the opening first five minutes -- definitely some kick to it. Anyway, it keeps appearing as having changed prices on AMAZON. Down three times in the last day or two. About $16 right now, if that approaches anyone's zone of comfort. MONSTERS DC is at about $13 with price guarantee still possible of giving a better result, but make note, it does not always go down from here -- EX MACHINA was at $17.99 for a few days, now back up to $20 for pre-order.
Emaych is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #21212 of 21234 Old 05-27-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ72 View Post
Second person I've seen comment about the Netflix version of Raganarok being average. For me it (Bluray) had one of the hardest hitting bass scenes I can remember. Very impressive.
I wonder if people are choosing the English version of the sound track and that explains it?
mo949 is offline  
post #21213 of 21234 Old 05-27-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,346
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
I wonder if people are choosing the English version of the sound track and that explains it?
Great point
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #21214 of 21234 Old 05-27-2015, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 4,884
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1959 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Can't stand English dubbed movies....would much rather read the subtitles personally.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Alan P is online now  
post #21215 of 21234 Old 05-27-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 2,540
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked: 285
^^ +1
tvuong is offline  
post #21216 of 21234 Old 05-27-2015, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBURNS View Post
just did search if anybody had viewed this - its loaded with LFE - felt like some real deep stuff in places.
I watched it on Vudu. Yes, plenty of bass, but also there were crucial moments where the dialogue was muffled. I ended up using Audyssey Dynamic Volume AND subtitles so I could hear the dialogue without completely deafening myself during the mega-loud sections.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #21217 of 21234 Old 05-27-2015, 04:26 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,907
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I watched it on Vudu. Yes, plenty of bass, but also there were crucial moments where the dialogue was muffled. I ended up using Audyssey Dynamic Volume AND subtitles so I could hear the dialogue without completely deafening myself during the mega-loud sections.
I had no dialog issues, but I watched it at reference.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #21218 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I had no dialog issues, but I watched it at reference.
Either you were deaf before watching it, or you were deaf afterwards

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #21219 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 04:35 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,907
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
Either you were deaf before watching it, or you were deaf afterwards
I like loud, dynamic audio and I watch all my movies at reference. I'm sure I'll pay for it one day though. For people like you who don't like strong dynamics, at least you can use some type of DRC to help adjust to your liking.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP

Last edited by Toe; Yesterday at 04:41 AM.
Toe is offline  
post #21220 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,346
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
ok continuing my Local Library discovery...I am continuing with grabbing movies I would like to see, but would never buy or even pay to rent...on tap (can only check out 3 at a time):

2012 (anyone comment on bass?)
Day After tomorrow (4.5 on data-bass.com)
Green Lantern (3.75 on data-bass)


should be a fun couple days

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #21221 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 15,881
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 1629
2012 was anemic
Day After Tomorrow is pretty good
Green Lantern has Ryan Reynolds in a starring role

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #21222 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mo949's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 3,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Those 3 I would never buy, but I enjoyed watching all of them. So good move getting them at the library
mo949 is offline  
post #21223 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,346
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
2012 was anemic
Day After Tomorrow is pretty good
Green Lantern has Ryan Reynolds in a starring role
hahah

Well Ryan Reynolds I actually like...he won me over with Van Wilder...then again with the changeup (more jason bateman in that one)

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #21224 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,907
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 658 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
ok continuing my Local Library discovery...I am continuing with grabbing movies I would like to see, but would never buy or even pay to rent...on tap (can only check out 3 at a time):

2012 (anyone comment on bass?)
Day After tomorrow (4.5 on data-bass.com)
Green Lantern (3.75 on data-bass)


should be a fun couple days
2012 is infamous as being one of the biggest LFE flops ever. It makes my top three list of most disappointing LFE films with Hobbit part 1 and Revenge of the Sith in the other two spots. The audio besides the bass though is excellent as I remember so just focus on everything but the bass. Hopefully San Andreas, which looks to be a similar type film gets it right in the low end.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is offline  
post #21225 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,346
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
2012 is infamous as being one of the biggest LFE flops ever. It makes my top three list of most disappointing LFE films with Hobbit part 1 and Revenge of the Sith in the other two spots. The audio besides the bass though is excellent as I remember so just focus on everything but the bass. Hopefully San Andreas, which looks to be a similar type film gets it right in the low end.
no kidding! huh how did I miss that...but as long as the sound is good

my top 3 flops for Bass are...so far (in no order)

The Hobbit
Avengers
How to train your Dragon 2
Toe, Pain Infliction and Hopinater like this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #21226 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pbarach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 2,758
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I like loud, dynamic audio and I watch all my movies at reference. I'm sure I'll pay for it one day though. For people like you who don't like strong dynamics, at least you can use some type of DRC to help adjust to your liking.
I save full-range dynamics for listening to music (big-orchestra classical, opera, pipe organ). I don't want to lose my ability to hear the detail in my favorite kind of music because I enjoyed too many exciting movie explosions. I wear hearing protection for mowing the lawn, going to the local air show, vacuuming the house.

If i go to a movie in the theater that I expect will be loud, I use Mac's silicon ear plugs. This started after I spent much of the last Star Trek movie with my fingers in my ears due to the frequent loud, hitched noise. And when it comes to bass, I find that even the local theatres with the best sound have bloated mid- and lower-bass, compared to my home system (dual M&K subs, AVR with audyssey XT32).

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
pbarach is offline  
post #21227 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
eng-399's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Plainfield il
Posts: 485
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 104
The art of flight came in the mail today as I was leaving for work so I played it in my car on the way and the sound was amazing. Very cool music that's in the movie...Looking forward to having it played in the HT room.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...oot-boxes.html
The STONE HAMMERS sub box build 4/20 cubic boxes tuned @ 16hz.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...land-area.html
2015 GTG meet Plainfield IL. (Chicago land area)
eng-399 is online now  
post #21228 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Member
 
MiniHT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: The sticks, New Jersey
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eng-399 View Post
The art of flight came in the mail today as I was leaving for work so I played it in my car on the way and the sound was amazing. Very cool music that's in the movie...Looking forward to having it played in the HT room.

I just got my copy last week in the mail as well. I still can't believe it took me this long to watch it. Not only is the sound incredible, but the PQ is just as good. I watched it 3 times in a row with a few friends over the weekend. Do yourself a favor and give it a spin.... you won't regret it.
Toe likes this.
MiniHT is online now  
post #21229 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Emaych's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 3,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
I save full-range dynamics for listening to music (big-orchestra classical, opera, pipe organ). I don't want to lose my ability to hear the detail in my favorite kind of music because I enjoyed too many exciting movie explosions. I wear hearing protection for mowing the lawn, going to the local air show, vacuuming the house.

If i go to a movie in the theater that I expect will be loud, I use Mac's silicon ear plugs. This started after I spent much of the last Star Trek movie with my fingers in my ears due to the frequent loud, hitched noise. And when it comes to bass, I find that even the local theatres with the best sound have bloated mid- and lower-bass, compared to my home system (dual M&K subs, AVR with audyssey XT32).
Ha! How true. One of the last movies I saw in the theater was the first of the latest STAR TREKs -- but I forgot my plugs. Had to stuff toilet paper in my ears to make it bearable. Theater going completely dropped off after that. Powered yardwork, still use the plugs, vacuuming I guess I determined was acceptable range, no plugs now. EVEN turned down my system and dialed down the bass a bit....a bit...little bit. Course now that I have awesome capability, I have less to prove to myself lately -- maybe, plus....just plain oldness, dagnabbit....
Emaych is offline  
post #21230 of 21234 Old Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rhed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,684
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 288
I finally watched Excorsicm of Emily Rose the other night.. Crazy, eerie bass..
rhed is offline  
post #21231 of 21234 Old Today, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
audiofan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Fineberg View Post
no kidding! huh how did I miss that...but as long as the sound is good

my top 3 flops for Bass are...so far (in no order)

The Hobbit
Avengers
How to train your Dragon 2

I'm not sure I would put Avengers my list, sure not the deepest extension (not much below 30hz) but it's well done and can rattle the room! The other two!
I don't want to talk about it
audiofan1 is offline  
post #21232 of 21234 Old Today, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Brian Fineberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,346
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1548 Post(s)
Liked: 1402
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
I'm not sure I would put Avengers my list, sure not the deepest extension (not much below 30hz) but it's well done and can rattle the room! The other two!
I don't want to talk about it

well if you take all the Marvel movies before ti (that the characters from avengers are in) bass wise

TIH
CA
IM
Thor

and then put them all into 1 ...then the bass should be amazing...but its one of the steepest filtered movies of all time...(in fact its why data-bass.com ranking system was created)...SUPER disappointed
Pain Infliction and MiniHT like this.

Panasonic 65VT30 | Panasonic AE8000 HD PJ | Emotiva XMC-1 | Emotiva XPA-5 gen | PSA MT110 x 3 FL/C/FR | PSA MT110sur surrounds | 3 - PSA XS30 (1 SE) | OPPO 103 |

the SadieMax HT build thread - my first build
Brian Fineberg is online now  
post #21233 of 21234 Unread Today, 06:18 AM
Senior Member
 
discone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 413
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Extraterrestrial is well worth a rent for LFE!
Got to watch this last night and enjoyed the bass as well! I guess they really do probe!!


I think I'll get to watch Interstellar in a few days after waiting so long as Netflix just sent me this e-mail:



Shipping update


Dear Michael,

Interstellar was not available from your local shipping center. Fortunately, it was available from a shipping center in another part of the country. It's on its way and should arrive within 3 to 5 days.

You'll notice we also recently sent the next available DVD from your Queue to enjoy while Interstellar makes its way to you.

Your Queue now shows this extra DVD rental. Enjoy.

–The Netflix Team

While I'm waiting The Man With The Iron Fists 2 is on it's way to fill in for some bass.
discone is online now  
post #21234 of 21234 Unread Today, 06:44 AM
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 9,183
Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1647 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
I thought I read the Man with the Iron fists II was kinda cheesy. If that person could speak up, was it just as cheesy as the first movie? I honestly enjoyed the first movie.... I am also a sucker for movies set around far eastern locales and culture. I even liked 47 Ronin, haha.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)
 
HT seats for sale!
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-ac...seat-rows.html
Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread
beastaudio is online now  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
The Pacific Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Zombieland Blu Ray , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Star Wars , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Rambo Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Cabin In The Woods , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Windtalkers Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Total Recall , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Finding Nemo , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultr
Gear in this thread - Flight by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off