The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 796 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3893Likes

Old 12-05-2015, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 191
You folks who have Roger Waters The Wall, how much is concert footage and how much is dedicated to Waters stuff? Reading the review from blu-ray.com;

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Roger-.../12873/#Review

.........it's hard to tell when the concert stuff begins and the Waters stuff ends to the point that I was having second thoughts about getting this disc. But after reading all the reviews from you guys, it sounds like a must have.

But then I see Amazon reviews like this "Most Helpful" review and I'm right back on the fence. I was really hoping for straight forward concert film of this show.

With all due respect to Roger Waters and his personal journey to come to terms with his grief over losing his father in WWII, I believe the off-stage travelogue takes up far too much screen time. It interrupts the flow of the concert. Make no mistake -- this film is about Roger, not the live concert. Fans of "The Wall" don't necessarily need or want to delve so deeply into the nuts and bolts of what pains Roger Waters personally. After 35 years of listening to the album, watching the 1982 film, and reading about the concept behind them, we get it already. At the end of the day, I think most of us just enjoy the music and bring our own joys and demons to the message behind it. But with this too-personal film, we are asked to experience it primarily on HIS level, not our own.

Not gonna lie: I wanted a straight-forward filmed souvenir of the concert experience I enjoyed the three times I saw the show live. When I read last year that the eventual release on home video would include snippets of Roger's travels on the healing road, I had no idea there would be so many of them and take up so much time. Granted, without those extra segments the concert video would run pretty short -- pretty much just the length of the album. So I guess I can live with a LITTLE padding here and there. But in my opinion it is just too much and too frequent.

Last edited by Torqdog; 12-05-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2015, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqdog View Post
You folks who have Roger Waters The Wall, how much is concert footage and how much is dedicated to Waters stuff? Reading the review from blu-ray.com;

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Roger-.../12873/#Review

.........it's hard to tell when the concert stuff begins and the Waters stuff ends to the point that I was having second thoughts about getting this disc. But after reading all the reviews from you guys, it sounds like a must have.
I would say 80% is concert.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 6371 Post(s)
Liked: 3082
85%

~ Bob
"And it stoned me to my soul"
- Van Morrison
Old 12-06-2015, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

One other question regarding The Wall. Are the Waters odyssey bits assigned their own chapters? In other words, can one just hit the "next scene" button on the remote and effectively skip these segments?
Old 12-06-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
One other question regarding The Wall. Are the Waters odyssey bits assigned their own chapters? In other words, can one just hit the "next scene" button on the remote and effectively skip these segments?
Yes just hit the next key and you're good to go
Torqdog likes this.
Old 12-06-2015, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. I'm on my way to Amazon. Price today is $17.24
Old 12-06-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I re-watched these two guys last night (it's been a while):

And I thought the bass was loud, and undefined, unrefined, and unsophisticated...but loud with a wallop.

I prefer 'The Wall' with Roger Waters & the gang. But 'Hot Fuzz' is much funnier.

* Oh, it's a five stars flick (bass content); I just locked. Well, what do I know. I know that it's loud and overly so. But it's fun loud.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison

Last edited by NorthSky; 12-06-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 3909 Post(s)
Liked: 2879
My goodness. You actually have a HT system, Bob?

Why you no share?

Scott's Wall of Bass Immersive Audio HT Room

Plan9Reloaded Co-host
Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)
https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link
http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website
Old 12-06-2015, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
My goodness. You actually have a HT system, Bob?

Why you no share?
It's a Fisher soundbar, with integrated woofers, four of them, 2" a piece. I got clean 500Hz vibrations in my bedroom. My Mum always tell me to turn it down.
Pawee likes this.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
Old 12-08-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I received the Rush R-40 bluray/CD package today. Previous concert offerings from Rush have been some of the worst mixed concert vids I own, such a shame for such a popular band like this to allow that to happen. Anyway, I watched the first set tonight and they finally got this one right. Well mixed and even though it doesn't dig down into the ULF frequencies, there is plenty of Geddy throughout.
audiofan1 and Hopinater like this.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked: 673
^^ hope to get sometime to view this R40 concert. I agree with the bad mixes from previous concerts- real disappointment. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hello all,
I notice you guys bring up movies from the past to discuss. I have to add the last Diehard movie, A good day to die hard! Wow is the sound amazing on this 7.1 DTS Master Audio track. I know there have been charts on this movie in the past but there is definitely som serious ULF in this flick.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 12-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2474 Post(s)
Liked: 1935
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ hope to get sometime to view this R40 concert. I agree with the bad mixes from previous concerts- real disappointment. Thanks.
You guys didn't like "Time Machine?" I thought it was pretty well done.
Black adder likes this.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
I re-watched these two guys last night (it's been a while):

And I thought the bass was loud, and undefined, unrefined, and unsophisticated...but loud with a wallop.

I prefer 'The Wall' with Roger Waters & the gang. But 'Hot Fuzz' is much funnier.

* Oh, it's a five stars flick (bass content); I just locked. Well, what do I know. I know that it's loud and overly so. But it's fun loud.
The bass is purposely exaggerated. It's making fun of action movies that have bass is almost every scene, even when it doesn't need it. Like turning around slowly would have a low bass note. Haha.

I think it's well done actually.

home theater addict

Last edited by saprano; 12-09-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Don't have this one. Time to add to the list. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes saprano, the bass is "overly loud", and that was the fun intention (on purpose in homage to "Die Hard" type of Hollywood flicks).
And 'Hot Fuzz' ended up as a 5 stars 'bass content' (top gun) in the databass system. Plus it is a fun flick highly rated too @ Rotten Tomatoes and around.

It's funnily ironic, because you have other flicks like 'Ultron' for example with dismal bass, and overall audio.
Even flicks like 'San Andreas', and other cataclysm films where the bass should destroy your home...I'd rather watch again 'Hot Fuzz'.
And that, is the comical irony.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
Old 12-09-2015, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1241
Quote:
I received the Rush R-40 bluray/CD package today. Previous concert offerings from Rush have been some of the worst mixed concert vids I own, such a shame for such a popular band like this to allow that to happen. Anyway, I watched the first set tonight and they finally got this one right. Well mixed and even though it doesn't dig down into the ULF frequencies, there is plenty of Geddy throughout.
Finally
Old 12-09-2015, 12:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Rush is a Canadian Rock&Roll band too.

~ Bob
- Van Morrison
Old 12-09-2015, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Rush is a Canadian Rock&Roll band too.
Was........Neil Peart announced his retirement a couple days ago. This was Rush's' last tour fer sure.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I didn't care for it. I'm trying to remember whether R-30 or Time machine has Lifeson's guitar so poorly mixed. Either way, it was hard to listen to and I have a pretty forgiving system that's VERY easy on the ears.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just want to add that this mix is in no way perfect. Peart's drums, cymbals in particular are sometimes mixed too low and Geddy's vocals have somewhat of an echo that make it difficult to understand the words at times. However, I'll again state that this mix is far and away superior to all the past bluray concert vids from Rush. The video editing is also done well with most shots staying on subject for a couple seconds as opposed to the usual half second frenzy edits found on many other concert vids.
Hopinater likes this.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 2749
Quote:
I just want to add that this mix is in no way perfect. Peart's drums, cymbals in particular are sometimes mixed too low and Geddy's vocals have somewhat of an echo that make it difficult to understand the words at times. However, I'll again state that this mix is far and away superior to all the past bluray concert vids from Rush. The video editing is also done well with most shots staying on subject for a couple seconds as opposed to the usual half second frenzy edits found on many other concert vids.
This is good to know because I've been planning on getting a Rush Concert Disc and have been wondering which would be the best to get. Thanks for the info.

HT: PSA dual V3600's - PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210 Center- PSA 110sr Surrounds - Denon 3313CI - Sony BDP-S5200 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Xbox360
Living Room: PSA XV15se - PSB Image T5 L/R - PSB Image B5 Center - Marantz SR5006 - Panasonic BDT210 - Panamax M4300 - Direct TV - Apple TV - Sony Wii
Old 12-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
Quote:
Agreed about Rush concert recordings/mixes in general being VERY disappointing. I still think the Snakes and Arrows blu ray concert might be the worst recorded/mixed blu ray concert I have heard to date.

So is R-40 a good recording/mix in general compared to other blu ray concerts or just relatively good compared to all the other awful Live Rush recordings/mixes?

Another question for anyone who might know, but how are the Rush multichannel music discs? I only have Moving Pictures which I would say was decent, but nothing special. Do any of the others fare better for recording/mix compared to MP?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Agreed about Rush concert recordings/mixes in general being VERY disappointing. I still think the Snakes and Arrows blu ray concert might be the worst recorded/mixed blu ray concert I have heard to date.

I agree!

So is R-40 a good recording/mix in general compared to other blu ray concerts or just relatively good compared to all the other awful Live Rush recordings/mixes?

Relatively good compared to other Rush blurays. Compared to the 80 or so concert blus I own, it's about average.........maybe slightly better than average. There's a lot of crap out there.

Another question for anyone who might know, but how are the Rush multichannel music discs? I only have Moving Pictures which I would say was decent, but nothing special. Do any of the others fare better for recording/mix compared to MP?

I own the 2112 bluray multi-channel as well as Moving Pictures. I like them both but when I compare, I'm usually focusing on the CD counterpart. My favorite multi-channel disc is the DVD audio of Pink Floyd's "Division Bell". It's not easy to find but well worth the effort. Bass is clean, smooth and for music, digs fairly deep in a few spots.
Toe likes this.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:23 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1155 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
^^^^^^^^I couldn't agree more on Division Bell in 5.1! Dire Straights Brothers in Arms was my favorite for years, but DB dethroned it overall. I was always a bit luke warm to the DB album in general, but once I heard it in 5.1, it felt like that was how it was meant to be experienced and gave me a whole new appreciation for the material.
Torqdog likes this.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

WOW...Pan 2015 BluRay TrueHD 7.1!!!!

Get ready for this one...(IF you like <30HZ stuff)
2 particular scenes hit very hard at the 10HZ range!

Looks REALLY good folks

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Old 12-10-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Damn, and I had no desire to see this movie.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Old 12-10-2015, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You guys need to checkout Transporter: Refueled tons of bass through out the movie. Movie was ok no (Jason Staham).
Toe likes this.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

And here's that scene...awesome!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	1111818  
|Tch0rT|, audiofan1 and grtuck like this.

My Build Thread
Equipment Speakers:
3x 1099's for LCR duty
4x Fusion 8's for surround duty
8x subs: 4x FTW21's and 4x SI18's
Old 12-10-2015, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

^^ I will make it a kid movie night weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray , Amazing Spiderman Ultimate Edition , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Back To The Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy Digital Copy Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Battleship , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , Bolt Blu Ray , Braveheart Blu Ray , Captain America The First Avenger Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Casino Royale Blu Ray , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Cloverfield Blu Ray , Conan The Barbarian Blu Ray , Daredevil Directors Cut Blu Ray , Death Race 3 Inferno Blu Ray , Devil Blu Ray Widescreen , Disneys Wall E Blu Ray , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Fantastic 4 Rise Of The Silver Surfer , Fast Five Blu Ray , Finding Nemo , Flight Of The Phoenix Blu Ray , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Hanna Blu Ray , Harry Potter The Order Of The Phoenix Playstation3 Game Ea , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Hitman Digital Copy Blu Ray , Hot Fuzz 2 Disc Special Edition Region 2 Dvd , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Hurt Locker Blu Ray , Immortals Blu Ray , Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Iron Man 2 Single Disc Edition Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , Kung Fu Panda 2 Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Last Stand Blu Ray , Live Free Or Die Hard Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Marvels The Avengers , Matrix , Max Payne Unrated Edition Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End , Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Pirates Of The Caribbean Three Movie Set Curse Of The Black Pearl Dead Mans Chest At Worlds End Blu , Prince Of Persia The Sands Of Time Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Rambo Blu Ray , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Resident Evil Afterlife Blu Ray , Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu Ray , Resident Evil Retribution 3d Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Sherlock Holmes Blu Ray , Skyfall Blu Ray , Skyline Blu Ray , Star Trek Blu Ray , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Star Wars , Subwoofers , Sucker Punch Two Disc Extended Edition Blu Ray , Super 8 Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Svs Pb2000 , Terminator Salvation Two Disc Directors Cut Blu Ray , The Cabin In The Woods , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Hunger Games Blu Ray Digital Copy , The Incredible Hulk Blu Ray , The Incredibles Four Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , The Last Airbender Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , The Pacific Blu Ray , The Raid Redemption , The Ultimate Matrix Collection Blu Ray , The Worlds End Blu Ray Dvd Digital Hd With Ultraviolet , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Total Recall , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray , Triangle Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , U 571 Blu Ray , Underworld Awakening Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray 3d , Unstoppable Blu Ray Digital Copy , Valkyrie Blu Ray , War Of The Worlds Blu Ray , Windtalkers Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , X Men Origins Wolverine Two Disc Ultimate Edition Blu Ray , X Men Origins Wolverine Uncaged Edition , X Men The Last Stand Blu Ray , Xxx , Zombieland Blu Ray
Gear in this thread