The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts - Page 857 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5051Likes

post #25681 of 25701 Old 08-25-2016, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
...[AoF] is now probably considered one of the top 5 demonstration discs out there....

True.

Bass notes in Chapter 2 (6:30 or so to 11:30) are:
58Hz
52Hz
46Hz
44Hz
38Hz

(Measured by iPhone App n-Track Tuner)

These notes are in the range and in the heart of most music today, and there is a lot more range than this. My iPhone mic simply could not pick up the lower sonics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #25682 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 03:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
It was just one example. In the movie exhibition industry it's just a given dude. You are giving the general public way too much credit for having tech knowledge or even a general understanding of what makes the magic happen. I'm on AVS everyday too and have many threads I follow. I really enjoy this thread and all who's on it. Bass on!
I can only conclude you must not have read what I wrote. I made no reference to "tech knowledge" -- in fact, I specifically outlined that, generally speaking, I think humans do not well understand how their perceptual apparatus exerts an effect upon them -- they have no terms, no facility to get at this most personal experiencing of the world. This includes myself, and would be roughly analogous to your notions on most moviegoers failing to appreciate "makes the magic happen."

My point was and is simple: people who attend the cinema (with the interest being seeing the movie), do so because it is a sight and sound experience. I'm not sure what the "proof" of such an assertion would be (just seems self-evident to me), as it is virtually impossible to propose the circumvention of the senses to implant pure "story" in ones head, but just imagine if you will, that the offering at your cinema features a story, played out on a blackened screen with no sound. All the action and development in this story is conveyed by text on the screen, similar to detailed explanations of on-screen action for the deaf, but no accompanying pictures or sound.

Is this something the public would attend? -- or have any interest in? How about mass readership of movie reviews? Now there some of the story is explained, but if that is where the big draw and money is, reviewers would be paid the multi-millions with very little traffic in the movie so reviewed -- but that of course is not the case, even absurd to think. People want to see the sights, hear the sounds, the closer to replicating their senses, to experience something as they might closer to real-life.

Of course the draw of story is strong -- the context of images, their "meaning" to us is so powerful that even lacking a story, people will make one up -- like attaching a message or narrative context to the sequencing of images in films which are more purely sight and sound, less "story" -- films such as BARAKA, and the like, but "story" is not why people are in the cinema specifically -- they are there for the sight and sound, the story shuffles in a distant distant secondary consideration....
post #25683 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 04:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Only movie I can think of is Art of Flight which is a fantastic film IMO, is bass loaded ( killer audio in general) and even has reference PQ (JVC used this bluray at Cedia the year it hit to show off their new projector line which is a very nice testament to the PQ). If you happen to be a boarder or skier, its even better, but that's certainly not a requirement since the heart of the film is really about passion for doing something you love which can be applied to whatever that happens to be for the individual.

Sorry to ramble, but I absolutely love AoF which has zero violence and its a killer HT ride!
Meant to congratulate you on your cite of this film -- I myself was stumped on any movie without violence -- someone proposed PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, and though my recollect of this older film is quite sketchy, I do seem to recall a row of motorcycles being knocked over, which of course is a violent action which then threatened bodily violence. Any Disney film I can think of traffics in violence as a major theme. "9" (someone mentioned) was certainly quite violent.

AoF even had some violence of the rather benign sort -- I think they destroyed a ramp or two going over them, and took some violent tumbles in the process, but when I saw your mention, I was struck with "Toe has got it! -- that's a pretty good answer." I have yet to get the blu -- and I'm thinking after this long a time, the price is never going to drop -- then again, I suppose the instant I commit to it, that will be the day it gets slashed by half.....
Toe likes this.
post #25684 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 04:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Meant to congratulate you on your cite of this film -- I myself was stumped on any movie without violence -- someone proposed PEE WEE'S BIG ADVENTURE, and though my recollect of this older film is quite sketchy, I do seem to recall a row of motorcycles being knocked over, which of course is a violent action which then threatened bodily violence. Any Disney film I can think of traffics in violence as a major theme. "9" (someone mentioned) was certainly quite violent.

AoF even had some violence of the rather benign sort -- I think they destroyed a ramp or two going over them, and took some violent tumbles in the process, but when I saw your mention, I was struck with "Toe has got it! -- that's a pretty good answer." I have yet to get the blu -- and I'm thinking after this long a time, the price is never going to drop -- then again, I suppose the instant I commit to it, that will be the day it gets slashed by half.....

I got one for $10 shipped on eBay last night here's another if you don't care about the case. https://www.ebay.com/itm/152209158574

I mentioned pee wee. I think it's about as low violence as you can get in a non animated story based movie haha.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
=============================
Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-44
Fronts: B&W 684 S1..............Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
Surrounds: B&W 685 S1........Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15
Center: B&W CM Center S2.....Subwoofer: Rhythmic FV15HP
post #25685 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 04:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citsur86 View Post
What would happen if we muted the music, booms/crashes, other sound effects, and bass; and leave simple dialogue, I guarantee people will take notice VERY quickly. But, its one of those "you don't miss it until it's not there" concepts. The folks in this thread are likely in the vast minority of people who walk out of a movie and even bring up the bass/sound quality as part of the post-movie conversation. I know every time I see a movie, I am constantly judging the bass and overall soundtrack as I watch, I can't help it at this point.
Yes, exactly. What you propose is very similar to my speculations, however if you want to get to "story," as a stand-alone, you really have to thwart or eradicate all other considerations, including any trace of sight and sound. Virtually impossible to do, since even when we read, we are using our senses. Actors speaking dialog foils the whole proposition, but yes, not only would people notice, word would get around, and I would suggest that here is a film not destined to do much business.

Quote:
As far as visual goes, there are many more people who do notice and applaud or snicker at the use of and quality of things like special effects. I think this, along with story and plot are likely the most talked about and largest reasons people enjoy movies at the theater.
Well most "talked about" does not equal "largest reason" (people enjoy movies). Again, they talk about story because that is easy to reach, easy to understand, it relates one's human experience to another's, whereas trying to get at how the pairing of a specific image with a certain sound triggered an emotional response -- we generally have no terms for that, and what happens in our brains is a much more intensely unique and personal observation than being able to identify and recite narrative properties

Quote:
That brings us to dialogue. Similar to audio, I believe dialogue plays a foundation role in movies. Bad dialogue gets noticed quickly in the same way the sound effects/music would if it were missing. Very good dialogue also gets noticed, (see: all Quentin Tarantino movies). Middle of the road dialogue, as long as it's not hurting the storyline or drawing attention to itself in a negative way, just kind of moves the story forward. A movie with a great soundtrack and a great set of dialogue is my favorite type. Movies like Django for example.
Do not misunderstand my point -- I like smart, interesting dialog, and am even hyper-critical of poor conceptualization -- even just the relatively minor aspect of using certain expressions which do not match the scenario presented. I went into a mini-rant recently on AVS over the expression "most assumed she had skipped town" in the movie 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE, because it was so totally out-of-place and miscalculated -- did not belong in that character's mouth. But being able to detect and dissect plot or dialog does not get at why we are there in the seats -- we are there to experience another world with our full perceptual panoply -- sight and sound in a darkened theater -- to get lost in another realm for those few hours....

Thank you for your thoughtful post!
post #25686 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I got one for $10 shipped on eBay last night here's another if you don't care about the case. https://www.ebay.com/itm/152209158574

I mentioned pee wee. I think it's about as low violence as you can get in a non animated story based movie haha.
SWEEET! -- thanks for that -- I never consider eBay, but think I'll go for that!
post #25687 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 07:47 AM
Point Source

Mentioned: 214 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3021 Post(s)
Liked: 2465
Quote:
Originally Posted by javanpohl View Post
Travis Rice up there reminded me I need to go in search of a snowboard (someone stole mine). I came across someone unknowingly selling a super rare Never Summer board still in the plastic for dirt cheap.
Nice! My LibTech (T.Rice sponsor) of 6 years still serves me quite well, and I still have yet to ride a better design that makes me want to transition.

Quote:

Even AoF isn't devoid of violence. I figure anything with shooting guns and blowing up full propane tanks would be considered a no-go, but it's easy to just FF through that one little section and then you are in good shape.
post #25688 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 08:50 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
Travis Rice up there reminded me I need to go in search of a snowboard (someone stole mine). I came across someone unknowingly selling a super rare Never Summer board still in the plastic for dirt cheap.
Great boards for sure! The Never Summer factory is only about 10 min from my house.
post #25689 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Great boards for sure! The Never Summer factory is only about 10 min from my house.
Get out! I'm at hwy 36 and 92nd in Westminster. What part of town are you in?
post #25690 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
I can only conclude you must not have read what I wrote. I made no reference to "tech knowledge" -- in fact, I specifically outlined that, generally speaking, I think humans do not well understand how their perceptual apparatus exerts an effect upon them -- they have no terms, no facility to get at this most personal experiencing of the world. This includes myself, and would be roughly analogous to your notions on most moviegoers failing to appreciate "makes the magic happen."

My point was and is simple: people who attend the cinema (with the interest being seeing the movie), do so because it is a sight and sound experience. I'm not sure what the "proof" of such an assertion would be (just seems self-evident to me), as it is virtually impossible to propose the circumvention of the senses to implant pure "story" in ones head, but just imagine if you will, that the offering at your cinema features a story, played out on a blackened screen with no sound. All the action and development in this story is conveyed by text on the screen, similar to detailed explanations of on-screen action for the deaf, but no accompanying pictures or sound.

Is this something the public would attend? -- or have any interest in? How about mass readership of movie reviews? Now there some of the story is explained, but if that is where the big draw and money is, reviewers would be paid the multi-millions with very little traffic in the movie so reviewed -- but that of course is not the case, even absurd to think. People want to see the sights, hear the sounds, the closer to replicating their senses, to experience something as they might closer to real-life.

Of course the draw of story is strong -- the context of images, their "meaning" to us is so powerful that even lacking a story, people will make one up -- like attaching a message or narrative context to the sequencing of images in films which are more purely sight and sound, less "story" -- films such as BARAKA, and the like, but "story" is not why people are in the cinema specifically -- they are there for the sight and sound, the story shuffles in a distant distant secondary consideration....
I'm moving on from this and yes I see your points. I've said mine, you've said yours. I'm respectfully moving on.

JBL Pro Cinema/Crown power/Sony SXRD
MANCHESTER UNITED!!
post #25691 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 12:09 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked: 1607
Quote:
No way! Nice!! I live right off Quebec and Evans down in Denver.
post #25692 of 25701 Old 08-26-2016, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1045 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:

Quote:
No way! Nice!! I live right off Quebec and Evans down in Denver.

Way! I used to live at Tower and Iliff in aurora.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still
Toe likes this.
post #25693 of 25701 Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Netflix Original | Stranger Things | Season 1 | Episode 1-8 Graph

Receiver - Sony STR-DH550
Fronts - Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-280F
Center
- Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-450C
Surrounds - Don't ask lol
Sub - Rythmik FV15HP

Last edited by MrGrey; Yesterday at 09:14 AM.
post #25694 of 25701 Old Yesterday, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
^^^I finished Stranger Things last night and from when watching the first episode while having diner in the kitchen using my old computer setup (sub is in a cabinet below the PC and acts as band pass box and adds some serious re-enforcement) I knew i had to fire it up on the big rig!

No one believed me when I said Netflix streaming used no filter's of the LFE! It's a great way to sometimes watch or demo some great bass movies mentioned here. Halo 4 , Alien Abduction and Ragnarok are just a few I've watched over the years when they were noted for their LFE prowess
MrGrey likes this.
post #25695 of 25701 Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 1453
Divergent series " Allegiant"

I've watched all three now and this one delivers and awesome sound design and bass experience as the rest. I swore off bass sweeps in 2015 but this baby has one with some good variation (time stamp not included) and I was like "ok maybe just one" All three can be noted as reference bass tracks and will energize the room and take the sub or subs through its or their paces.

Enjoy
asere likes this.
post #25696 of 25701 Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
Netflix Original | Stranger Things | Season 1 | Episode 1-8 Graph
Awesome - I've been very impressed with the sound production of this show, and the show itself for that matter!
audiofan1 and MrGrey like this.

My Current "Living Room" Home Theater!
=============================
Receiver - Pioneer Elite VSX-44
Fronts: B&W 684 S1..............Front Heights: Polk Audio T15
Surrounds: B&W 685 S1........Rear Surrounds: Polk Audio T15
Center: B&W CM Center S2.....Subwoofer: Rhythmic FV15HP
post #25697 of 25701 Old Today, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Did a re-spin of the Matrix Trilogy. Haven't seen that in awhile. Last time I watched it was before any upgrades..lol. And to my surprise this time around was way more enjoyable to watch again. I like Revolution the most. When the APU's constantly letting off countless rounds. Those shots is surely felt. Oh, I also like when the DEUS EX MACHINA speaks. Literally pressurized and shake the whole room.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #25698 of 25701 Old Today, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Midnight Special has awesome bass!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
audiofan1 likes this.
post #25699 of 25701 Old Today, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Now You See Me 2 got pretty intense during the rain scene in the final act, unfortunately, you'll have to sit through the movie to experience it, unless you skip straight to the end.
post #25700 of 25701 Old Today, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 4272
Conjuring 2 is crazy.

Getting Started with REW: A Step by Step Guide -->http://www.roomeqwizard.com/REWhelp.pdf

Mini DSP Tutorial by Neutro --> http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...g-minidsp.html
post #25701 of 25701 Old Today, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Conjuring 2 is crazy.
That's good news bh.. Can't wait to come out on disk. I really liked the first one in terms of bass and story..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Alien Vs Predator Blu Ray , Amazing Spiderman Ultimate Edition , Avatar Three Disc Extended Collectors Edition Bd Live Blu Ray , Back To The Future 25th Anniversary Trilogy Digital Copy Blu Ray , Batman Begins Blu Ray , Battle Los Angeles Blu Ray , Battleship , Black Hawk Down Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies , Bolt Blu Ray , Braveheart Blu Ray , Captain America The First Avenger Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Casino Royale Blu Ray , Clash Of The Titans Blu Ray , Cloverfield Blu Ray , Conan The Barbarian Blu Ray , Daredevil Directors Cut Blu Ray , Death Race 3 Inferno Blu Ray , Devil Blu Ray Widescreen , Disneys Wall E Blu Ray , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Fantastic 4 Rise Of The Silver Surfer , Fast Five Blu Ray , Finding Nemo , Flight Of The Phoenix Blu Ray , Gamer 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Ultraviolet , Ghost Recon Future Soldier Xbox 360 Game Ubisoft , Hanna Blu Ray , Harry Potter The Order Of The Phoenix Playstation3 Game Ea , Hellboy Science Of Evil Playstation3 Game Konami , Hitman Digital Copy Blu Ray , Hot Fuzz 2 Disc Special Edition Region 2 Dvd , How To Train Your Dragon Two Disc Blu Ray 3d Dvd Combo , Hurt Locker Blu Ray , Immortals Blu Ray , Inception Two Disc Edition Blu Ray , Iron Man 2 Single Disc Edition Blu Ray , Iron Man Blu Ray , Jack The Giant Slayer Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack , Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Kill Bill Volume 1 Blu Ray , Kung Fu Panda 2 Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Kung Fu Panda Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Last Stand Blu Ray , Live Free Or Die Hard Blu Ray , Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Machete Blu Ray , Man Of Steel Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Marvels The Avengers , Matrix , Max Payne Unrated Edition Blu Ray , Monsters Vs Aliens , Mr Brooks Blu Ray Blu Ray 2009 , Ninja Assassin Blu Ray , Olympus Has Fallen Blu Ray , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack , Piranha 3dd Blu Ray , Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End , Pirates Of The Caribbean At Worlds End Three Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Pirates Of The Caribbean Three Movie Set Curse Of The Black Pearl Dead Mans Chest At Worlds End Blu , Prince Of Persia The Sands Of Time Blu Ray , Project X Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Rambo Blu Ray , Real Steel Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , Resident Evil Afterlife Blu Ray , Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu Ray , Resident Evil Retribution 3d Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Ultraviolet Digital Copy , Room Equilizer Wizard Rew , Sherlock Holmes Blu Ray , Skyfall Blu Ray , Skyline Blu Ray , Star Trek Blu Ray , Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Star Wars , Subwoofers , Sucker Punch Two Disc Extended Edition Blu Ray , Super 8 Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Svs Pb2000 , Terminator Salvation Two Disc Directors Cut Blu Ray , The Cabin In The Woods , The Dark Knight Bd Live Blu Ray , The Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Bat Cowl Blu Ray Dvd Combo Ultraviolet Digital Copy , The Hunger Games Blu Ray Digital Copy , The Incredible Hulk Blu Ray , The Incredibles Four Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , The Last Airbender Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , The Lord Of The Rings The Motion Picture Trilogy The Fellowship Of The Ring The Two Towers The Retur , The Pacific Blu Ray , The Raid Redemption , The Ultimate Matrix Collection Blu Ray , The Worlds End Blu Ray Dvd Digital Hd With Ultraviolet , Thor Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy , Tomorrow Never Dies Pierce Brosnan Blu Ray Dvd James Bond , Total Recall , Toy Story 3 Blu Ray , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Transformers Revenge Of The Fallen Two Disc Special Edition Blu Ray , Triangle Blu Ray , Tron Legacy Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo , U 571 Blu Ray , Underworld Awakening Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray 3d , Unstoppable Blu Ray Digital Copy , Valkyrie Blu Ray , War Of The Worlds Blu Ray , Windtalkers Blu Ray , World War Z Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , World War Z Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Wrath Of The Titans Blu Ray , X Men Origins Wolverine Two Disc Ultimate Edition Blu Ray , X Men Origins Wolverine Uncaged Edition , X Men The Last Stand Blu Ray , Xxx , Zombieland Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page